Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Violin connoisseurs are like any other field, prone to building up the lore of a collectible product. The Stradivari family reportedly only made 700 or so violins. Their relative rarity influences their reputation.

Like for other violin makers, modern as well, a violin top is made from spruce, the back from maple, the inner parts from willow. Stradivarius violins were made from especially consistent-grained spruce and maple. Present-day violin makers select spruce and maple with similar properties. Of the master violin craftsmen I've known, they reported that they like the woods to age at least 40 years before rough cutting into blanks and age for several years after before shaping. Reportedly, the Stradivari family used chemicals to treat the woods, which may contribute favorably to the sound quality. However, the same compounds occured in varnishes at the time of Stradivari's work.

What finishes were applied by Stradivari are a matter of conjecture. Limited samples available for testing. However, it's known that he didn't use shellac. Stradivari may have been as equally discriminating in selecting the best finish for violins as he was with all of his choices. He did finish with an unknown proprietary varnish recipe, though.

As a compromise to an oil finish, a violin varnish is used for finishes. The woods do need enduring protection from oxidation and sunlight. A good quality violin varnish is brittle, though, because the harder it is the less it deadens sound. Basically, the least plastic natural-wood varnishes are what the violin makers I've known use. Basic ingredients are gum rosin and linseed oil.

Aging a musical instrument is all about the grain and variant woods species and finish stresses settling into their environment. They move in different dimensions and directions with changes in humidity, atmospheric pressure, and temperature. What sounds great in the craftshop or store needs time to adapt to its new setting. And time to adapt from being made into an instrument to begin with. Hide glues traditionally used in instrument making have high moisture content that the woods absorb. They also absorb solvents from the finish that take time time to fully evaporate through the cured surface finish. Plus a finely crafted violin is a precious commodity. Storage of one probably results in a reduced moisture content in the woods from what would normally be found in a piece of furniture in a modern home.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited April 02, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear there's too much sex and violins in movies and on TV...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know alot about violins, but flutes are best made out of the most expensive metals. I once played a flute that was platinum. It was the most exquisite thing I've ever put my lips too. I actually moaned and sighed about how wonderful it was for a full week. The sound was so pure and clean and effortless to produce. I miss that flute. Someday maybe I'll get a flute that's better than the crappy thing I own now.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Nostradamus could see the future, but could he see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
no. no one can.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck Norris can!
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't we can?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Nostradamus should have warned us about the danger Capt Crunch poses to the roof of the mouth.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

My three favorite South Park Episodes.

1) The exclusive Butters episode.

2) The manbla episode.

3) The Michael Jackson episode.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer the Suddam Hussein episode, but those are good, too.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Imaginationland IMO. Those evil woodland creatures were hilarious.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
my faverit south park episode

Make Love not World of Warcraft.

what convensted me to never get addicted to WOW. i did play for 4 hours once and got too adicted that i had to call my shrink for help. Thanks WOW

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes have the inclination to yell "Geeks!" when I read this forum.

It's like the inclination a person might have to yell "Fire!" in a burnt down theatre.

It's too late to warn people. The theatre has burnt down. We are in fact, geeks.

By the way, check out thinkgeek.com. Awesome.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Don't think I've watched an episode of "South Park" since Season Three...don't know why, 'cause, at the time, I liked what I saw.

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

And when I say yip-de-dip-de-dip, you know I mean it from the bottom of my boogity-boogity-boogity-shoop.
snapper
Member # 7299

Okay Robert. I think you've been licking too many stamps. You better step out and get some fresh air.
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with shimiqua, every gift that I've purchased for my truly geeky friends/relatives for the last two or three years has come from thinkgeek... Christmases, birthdays, Valentine's... heck, half of my own wardrobe came from there.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You don't lick stamps anymore: they're all self-adhesive. This ruins the plans for a stamp to commemorate prostitution. Get that joke if you dare.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
**ignoring the last post **

The flouride the dentist put on my teeth today tasted like the glue from envelopes, which was never a taste I hated, although tasting it all day long has been kind of nasty. The flouride feels like they wrapped my teeth in mesh. Ick.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Dateline April Fools Day 2009;

Federal excise tax on roll your own cigarette tobacco increased 2252 percent from $1.10 to $24.78 a pound. What costs a tobacco farmer $2 to produce is now costing a consumer at least $45, up from an average $18 per pound last year. State tobacco excise taxes are responsible for another average $10 in cost per pound of bulk tobacco. Many state legislatures are considering increasing state tobacco excise taxes to equate to the federal level.

Supporters of the sin-tax increase claim it was necessary to achieve product parity taxation in order to prevent a flood of roll your own consumers abadoning ready-made products. Regardless, bulk cigarette tobacco suppliers have been overwhelmed with orders.

Small cigar taxes went up even more than bulk cigarette tobacco. Ready-made cigarette and snuff excise taxes also went up 250%.

This does not bode well for the 20% of the US population that smokes. Nor does it bode well for freedom to choose lifestyle. This is most certainly taxation misrepresentation placing an inequitable burden on smokers. Are we underclass citizens? Because we smoke are we servants to the majority? A dark day in American history.

What's next, a health excise tax on high blood pressure?

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If the taxes are included in the purchase price, nobody notices them. People only notice taxes when they're extra, like on income or sales. That's how the government gets away with taxing people more than at any other time in history.
Natej11
Member # 8547

Wait people hate smokers and are persecuting them? When did this all start?

I don't smoke myself, and to be honest I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but this kind of abuse is just ridiculous. It's one thing for businesses and residences to say whether or not they allow smoking, and another for the government to step in and say it's not allowed anywhere. Or even within 20 feet of any entrance (just try to find anywhere 20 feet from an entrance in your average desk job office building!).

Unfortunately tobacco isn't alone here. Alcohol has been banned, restricted, and tightly controlled for a long time now. In some states like Utah they even ban wine coolers, for the love. And you know that since the government controls the only supply of alcohol there's nothing keeping them from jacking the prices up if they want. Why should cigarettes be any different?

And don't get me started about the abuse of prescription drugs that are just slightly moderated versions of heroin. It's a crazy world we live in.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, with tobacco, there was at least the excuse of second-hand smoke to justify bans. There was none for trans-fatty acids, just nannystateism...
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Modest tax increases on tobacco started out a decade ago as a noble program to fund low-income families' children's health insurance. SCHIP was intended at inception to provide health coverage for children of families with income above the Medicaid threshold but below $80,000. The program has expanded to include adults in fourteen states, four of which have more adults than children enrolled, many of which previously had private coverage. The thresholds are going up. Immigrants residing in the US longer than five years are now eligible. The income threshold is going up to $85,000. It's another runaway entitlement program with the burden being placed on those least able to afford it and oppose it.

What scorches me is that a product that has a real-market cost of $10 a pound has gone up to $45, $35 of which is taxes.

Beer currently has a Federal excise tax of roughly $0.30 per six-pack. Applying the same FET increase as bulk cigarette tobacco would add $6.75 to the retail price. Wine and sparkling wine FET per fifth (750ml) currently $0.21 to $0.67 and spirits FET $2.14 per fifth. But no, no alcohol FET increases, yet. When tobacco tax revenues don't meet expectations . . .

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited April 08, 2009).]

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the idea of the cigarette tax is that demand for them is profoundly inelastic for current smokers, since they're addicted they'll pay whatever they have to. But it is supposedly very elastic for non-smokers who are considering smoking, so for them fewer will buy ergo fewer will smoke. Not sure how well it's working, but I do know that's the strategy.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Applying need to taxation, people need to eat. The real agenda is to ban tobacco altogether. Higher taxes ostensibly will force people to quit. The immediate intent is to halve the smoking population to less than 10% by 2010. Meanwhile, 50% of low-income workers smoke. Atlas will shrug.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

My worst fear is that a spider will crawl across my face when I am sleeping.

I'm not afraid of spiders, I just like them to be where I can see them.

Ohhh, gives me the willies just thinking about it.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I'm not sure what your point is, extrinsic. You sound like a very jaded smoker.

There is a difference between need and strong want. People think they need to smoke because addiction exists, but they don't <i>really</i> need it. There are alternatives that can ween them off their addiction and, ultimately, if deprived of tobacco they're not going to die. So to pretend that tobacco is a need equal to food is inane.

As per the agenda to reduce the number of smokers it is more targetted at discouraging the creation of new smokers than it is taking down existing ones. But if it somehow diminishes the number of smokers that's a good thing. People are healthier and live longer without the tobacco.

Atlas can shrug all he wants.

Also I'm a little confused how you can half something to 10%. 50% I get, but 10% makes no sense to me. Are you saying that 20% of people smoke and they want to half that to 10% of all people? That's my best guess.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited April 08, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

My point is that a tax on a product I use has gone up to a level that no other product has ever seen ever and it happened overnight. The legislation authorizing the tax was signed into law on February 4th. On the day it was signed, the Senate and House approved a last minute change from a $1.10 to a $24 excise tax increase with no debate. A product that market forces price at $10 and is now $45 due to the taxes. In fact, this was the second bill signed by the new administration despite campaign promises of no new taxes and looking out for low-income workers. The whole reason for roll your own cigarettes is to save money. This has caused an immediate additional $50 a month burden on me that's inequitable. I'm barely keeping my head above water as it is. I'm afraid that another government policy for the greater good will drown me.

I'm not a "very jaded smoker." Shame on you for making such a thoughtless remark. I am a jaded taxpayer citizen, part of a small minority that's been unlawfully singled out for punitive taxation. Expect dissastisfaction to grow when the tax doesn't cover the program and they raise taxes on alcohol and other "sinful" pasttimes.

Zero
Member # 3619

[removed]

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited April 08, 2009).]

Zero
Member # 3619

I apologize for offending you.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

My worst fear is that my children will grow up and remember how much of their childhood I spent on the computer--and I'll have nothing to show for it.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Unwritten, then they will remember that you spent time doing something you loved. And your children, and grandchildren, will read your stories, and hear your voice long after you are gone.

You are spending your time creating stories, creating a legacy.

That is not nothing.
~Sheena

shimiqua
Member # 7760

Okay my worst fear in not that a spider will crawl across my face while I am asleep. My worst fear is that a spider will crawl across my face when i'm asleep AND THEN LAY AN EGG IN MY FACE and I'll think "dang what a gross zit, why wont it go away," and then one day while I am in the bath my sore will open and a thousand baby spiders will crawl across my naked body.

oh, man. Good to get that off my chest.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

OK, since we're being honest, my worst fear isn't that my kids will remember how much of their childhood I spent on the computer, it's that they'll stagger in one night when they are 26 years old, smelling like a distillery and wake me up to tell me that they are on the run from the police because I ruined their life by spending so much time on the computer, and I don't even have the money to get them out of the country because my writing never did sell...and oh yeah, by the way, they hate to read anyway. Especially fantasy.

Nope, that didn't help.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Or of course, what you said the first time. That would be better. I'll shoot for that.
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Is it sick and wrong to laugh at other's fears? The spider one is pretty hilarious. But the kids growing up and NOT LIKING FANTASY, that's not so funny.

My greatest fear is that I will somehow mess everything up, or make a huge mistake without meaning too. Like turning the steering wheel too hard and taking my whole family to their deaths at the bottom of a mountain.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Twice in my life I've had a spider descend from the ceiling (I didn't spot him) and land on my head while in the shower. Both times the spider in question got to experience a brutal death.

And one time I put on my shoe only to discover a mouse had moved in. I didn't kill it, I'm too much of a softy, but I did evict it to the back field.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited April 09, 2009).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Spiders are all right. They weave their webs in the corners and they leave you alone.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Three weeks ago, I got a renewal notice from Newsweek saying "your last issue is in the mail." Since then, I've gotten three more issues.

Promises, promises...

Natej11
Member # 8547

I always wonder how these places can afford to spam junk mail when the returns involved just don't seem all that high for the costs.

I remember my university's fees office sending me letters about owing them 20 dollars for like a year and a half...I mean it had to have been at least 50 letters in all, you'd think they spent more than the 20 on just sending them out.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One piece of junk mail costs pennies-plus-postage...mass mailing get deep postage discounts...one subscription out of a thousand would pay for it all.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'd love to post something here about what I went through at work last night, but it would be libelous.
Natej11
Member # 8547

Wait police can get into the magic treehouse?!?1
I thought the baby unicorn was on lookout.

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I am a jaded taxpayer citizen, part of a small minority that's been unlawfully singled out for punitive taxation. Expect dissastisfaction to grow when the tax doesn't cover the program and they raise taxes on alcohol and other "sinful" pasttimes.

I am sure the angry disenfranchised taxpayer would vote the bums out if they allowed smoking while waiting to vote.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 11, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Vampires have high cholesterol...

And would that technically mean their victims died of a heart attack?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 11, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Small spiders lay eggs in people's ears more often than you'd think. The good news is that even when the eggs hatch, and hundreds of tiny spiders crawl out of the ear, they rarely do the person any harm. It's creepy, but not harmful.

Supposedly, some people never find out it even happened; the eggs don't hurt and the spiders leave the body while the person sleeps.

Ah, the things I've learned at the doctor's office... Anyway, the point: it's not a rational fear.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother fell asleep at the beach and had a banana spider burrow through her cheek into her mouth. While she was in the waiting room, a girl with a bad case of acne turned out really to have had spider eggs lain in her face. Apparently it was horrible when they started hatching and crawling all over her--consuming their way out.

And, even if they didn't try and consume her face (which they did), I could see a rational fear (even arachnophobia)developing out of it.

I think I was 9 or 10 when I went on a double-ferris-wheel with my mother and my cousin, who was my age. I sat on one side, they the other, as we slowly rose to the top. At the top, the wheel stopped so people could board the other ferris-wheel, and one of the bolts to our car snapped. The swinging arm flew loose--on the side I happened to be leaning on--and I was suspended in mid air, nothing to grab on but the slick plastic seat or the arm which was attached to nothing. It was better than twenty years before my wife convinced me to get on another one.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 11, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

While I agree with rational fear, it's not always the case.

When I was younger I loved cats and hated dogs. Then I was attacked by a rottweiler and spent a few years afraid of even small dogs.

Now I really love dogs, and seem to get along pretty well with them.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was wondering where that itching in my ear came from.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.