Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 17)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter once glued her foot to the floor...with superglue. (A stain in the shape of her foot is still on the linoleum.)
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian Regan is the funniest comedian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw2GG93ErFA&feature=related

Or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2F_3BS6QSY&feature=related

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited June 12, 2009).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever licked something frozen and then had your tongue stick to it (like glue, but not really)?
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I feel a triple-dog-dare coming up?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young we used to jump from a second-story balcony at a friend's house. We threw rocks into an above-ground pool. We gathered flowers for our mothers for Mother's Day--from neighbors' yards and the local greenhouse.

One time my friend's older brother terrorized us with his shotgun, pointing it at us and threatening to fire it. It was unloaded, but what an idiot.

I used to be afraid there was a demon in the attic--down the hall from my bedroom. I had to pass its hiding place on my way to bed. And sometimes I imagined a group of them on the roof above my bed, sawing a circular hole so they could drop in (they were a smaller variety). What a pleasant childhood memory.

Enough randomness for one post...

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 12, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
One day when I was a kid, a long time ago it seems, the neighborhood gang of kids, of which I was one, took turns jumping off one set of kids' second-story back porch. We had a good time until their mother caught us and made us stop.

Or did I say that already in this thread?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
My four year old daughter can play the piano by ear better than I can.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Sometimes I think about the shenanigans we all pulled when we were kids, and wondered that any of us made it to adulthood... :P
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I'm going to see a play put on by a transgender youth group. It's about pirates.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I'm going to see a play put on by pirates. It's about a transgender youth group.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Heyyyyy....wait a second!
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Post 811

Just making a reference point.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

quote:
play the piano by ear
that gave me a very funny visual, until I reoriented on what you meant ;0

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The 2003 director's cut of Alien 3 was significantly better than the 1992 theatrical version of the film. It is amazing how changing a few scenes here and there could change an entire picture.

I wonder if I should give the director's cut of Highlander II a chance? I found the theatrical version painful during the one and only time I ever watched it.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Bertolucci said the "director's cut" of The Last Emperor was just like the theatrical releaase, except longer...and more boring...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

From the lack of posts I can only guess that there was no randomness today. There's always tomorrow.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

They tell me the world can't end tomorrow because it's already tomorrow in Australia.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Call off the search I am not lost I have just been locked in the loony bin. I am getting med boarded from the army due to the fact that they drove me nuts. Everything from the neck down works just fine except my back, hips, and knees, the army broke them too. I am looking at getting 50 to 60% of E4 pay for the rest of my life.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that good news or bad news?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

News good or bad? Is that the world not ending, or Rommel Fenrir Wolf II's return and / or disability?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The best can opener I ever had broke yesterday, after about fifteen to twenty years of use. What happened is as follows:

(1) It took me twenty minutes to find my older one (which didn't work as well, and I occasionally cut myself on the ragged edge) and carry on opening the tunafish cans.

(2) When it broke, I got vegetable oil all over one of my good work shirts; I washed it right away but the stain didn't come out; I washed it again this morning, hoping for the best.

(3) I searched the online store of Brookstone, which is where I got the can opener in the first place. Near as I could tell, they don't carry that particular model (something I knew from going in their retail stores), but their online store doesn't carry any manual can openers. ('Tisn't the first time Brookstone stopped carrying something I wanted to buy: I had to get new Mindfolds direct from the manufacturer. But I have no idea who made these particular can openers.)

(4) I'll have to go out and buy a new, and maybe inadequate, substitute can opener right away.

Devnal
Member # 6724

Tonight I'm going to see the directors cut of a play put on by aliens that are on disability. It's about a transgender group of Australian geriatric can openers and there search for the randomness of tomorrow.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Case closed.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just saw "UP" this afternoon...excellent movie, all the way 'round...the montage sequence in the beginning was just about the saddest thing I've ever seen on film...
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
My heart bleeds to hear about Robert's can opener. There are a lot of things that you get used to using over the years, then it breaks and replacements aren't available.

I had a popcorn bowl that was perfect. It was dropped and a crack developed (it was made out of melamine), ruining it.

I didn't even buy it in the state I currently live.

Life can be a real trial.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been feeling very unrandom lately. I'm hoping that posting randomly about it might help.

*waits*

Maybe it won't take until I hit the submit reply button.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tani
Member # 8608

- posted      Profile for Tani           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anything truly random?

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Angry Butt-Wookies are random.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not random, just uncomfortable.

It's a pity when the things we love die, even though they didn't live in the first place. Like I remember when I invented the electric toaster . . . last Tuesday . . . and I came out of my workshop hungry for something buttery. So I went to the kitchen put some bread into the silver shiny thing that came with the house and turned on the tv. As I munched my victory lunch a program came on about inventors. Needles to say when it started talking about the electric toaster being invented in 1893 I started crying.

Tears of Joy! This meant that I would also, someday, invent a time machine. Nobel prize and caveman wife here I come.

On an unrelated note I once stuck my tongue to a spoon full of dry Ice. On a related note try pressing dry ice onto a piece of steel.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

My grandparents have a household of appliances from the 1950s and 1960s that are still going strong; gramps repairs then whenever they break down, which isn't often. Of course, it helps that he designed them when they were first manufactured...

My other grandparents had a philosophy that I am currently clinging to: the easiest way to keep your home decluttered is to throw away everything that breaks during a move. <ommm... summoning the decluttered home...>

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
They're not random, just uncomfortable.

They're random for me; it's not everyday my @$$ can communicate with Chewbacca--let alone make him cry. It surprises me every time.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I bought a new can opener at the market yesterday. It's of similar design...but will it work as comfortably in my hands as the other one did?

(My mother uses a can opener, that, when I tried it, I always cut myself on the protruding lid.)

Meanwhile...my main TV blinks on and off for up to twenty minutes after I turn it on and the colors are all off when it settles down...my dishwasher seems not to be cleaning the dishes as well as I think it should...my cable TV signal seems to lose certain digital channels as the sun goes up and the cables and connections get warm...and my DVD recorder seems to be filling up the disks after only a couple of half-hour programs.

Ah, well...I'm actively shopping for a new TV, what with the old one being technologically obsolete besides the problems...my cable TV problems will wait until I get that new TV 'cause they may be connected to the old TV breakdown...I have another DVD recorder I can move to the other room...and I added some rinse agent to the dishwasher yesterday, which may improve the situation.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I used to have a microwave that was made back in the late 70's. It was large enough to put a medium size pizza, including the box, in it. My wife insisted I get rid of it after we got married - it did take up quite a bit of space. However, it helped me survive college and my early to mid twenties.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Is the Keep Alive talking to the computer, the OS, or the custom software? I wasn't born a tech writer...
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Still searching for some randomness. Here's 2 minutes of my life on summer vacation:

My daughter: I've got a good idea for dinner. Can I make my good idea? Can you make mashed potatoes? Could you look up a recipe for me? Oh yeah, I know, all I've got to do is peel mashed potatoes, put them in a pot, wait for them to boil then dump the water out and mash them.

Me: OK. If you go get the potatoes you can make them.

My daughter: Yes! You said I couldn't cook til I was 10. (She's 6)

Me: Well, I'm going to help you, of course.

My daughter: NO! It's not fair. *Stomp. Stomp. Stomp.* Can Grammy and Grampy eat with us tonight, cause tomorrow they're leaving.

Me: I think they're already gone.

My daughter: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You are so mean! 5 plus 2 equals 7 OR 4 plus 3. Or 1 plus.... I got them. Now I'm going to peel them. Mommy where's the peeler? I can't find the peeler. MOM! Ooh...what's this drink? Can I have a taste of it?

She's the only child who was supposed to be outside. Of course, she's the only one inside.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Who wrote the song "Thank Heaven for Little Girls"?
satate
Member # 8082

My daughter came to me while I was on the computer. She had been playing with her cousin and little sister. She told me they were playing a game she made up and was called "I am in Charge."
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
A day or two after my wisdom teeth were removed, I rested at my parents-in-the-law's house. The list from the oral surgeon said I could eat eggs that day. I was ecstatic at the idea of eating something other than jello and pain meds.

Only my father-in-law was home. From his old reclining chair in the family room, he smirked at my glee and gave me permission to use the kitchen.

I bolted to the stove. I opened a cabinet. I stared inside.

"Poppa, I use a pan to cook eggs, right?"

"Yes. Bottom left cabinet."

"Thanks. Umm... Do I use oil or butter?"

My father-in-law made me eggs that day.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

quote:
Other prairie dogs…

BentTree – 10
Aspirit – 12
Tnwilz – 14
Annepin – 6

Their posts are grouped in clumps. They participate then go away. Sometimes they return for another peek.
The curious thing I found about the other five names is that you see them everywhere else on hatrack. Full time members they greet, comment in F&F, and offer opinions in the Writing section. Just not here.

Here's 14.

Do you really think I want to leave proof I'm not being productive?

Anyway, prairie dogs are cute. I wish to transform into one of the old, fat dogs that sits on a mound. That's after I finish a novel, of course. (2029?)

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

"I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, 'I forgot to collect nuts for the winter.' Then he dies. It's funny because a squirrel dies at the end." - Dug the dog (Up)

No guarantees on accuracy. It's a great example of what a dog might think is funny, though.

This is 15. I'm going to bed now.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Who wrote the song "Thank Heaven for Little Girls"?

Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe.

Jeff M
Member # 7828

The cast of "Welcome Back, Kotter"... what are they doing now?

(because you wanted to know. You just didn’t know you wanted to know)

Gabe Kaplan (Mr. Kotter): champion professional poker player and does stand-up comedy gigs.

John Travolta (Barbarino): Movie superstar

Robert Hegyes (Epstein): Teaches screenwriting and acting at colleges and high schools in California.

Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs (“Boom Boom” Washington): occasional movie/TV appearance, and writes movie/TV theme music. As a keyboardist, has released a couple of albums. (I would’ve thought he’d play bass, not piano...)

Ron Palillo (Horseshack): Illustrates children’s books and still gets the occasional acting gig.

Marcia Strassman (Julie Kotter): TV and film actress. Involved with numerous causes (AIDS, cancer, children’s).

John Sylvester White (Mr. Woodman): passed away in 1988 (cancer).

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

At least they're not back where they started.
Jeff M
Member # 7828

Their dreams were their ticket out.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Gabe Kaplan had a book out the other year...s funny collection of his letters, replies to when somebody wants him to do some kind of acting or reality-show gig, and so on, and so forth.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I sense a revolution.

I was reading a newspaper and I heard some whispering--from my foot.

I am fairly certain that the cells of my body have had enough of 'working together as a community', as they said, and have decided to all go their seperate ways.

What's to become of me?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 19, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

I didn't clean at all today, but I did write a chapter.
I think that secretly counts.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Adverb...so now it doesn't count. Sorry, gotta be harsh.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Secretly isn't just another adverb. It's a super adverb. It is in fact the greatest adverb ever invented. So..

Yeah....

It so totally counts.
~Sheena

P.S. I'm aware that totally is also an adverb. It is Secretly's super friend. Have you not heard of the secretly totally awesome group of super words, with their amazing super powered awesomeness? Frankly, I'm surprised.

skadder
Member # 6757

My toe says you are making it up. I tend to believe my body parts above adverb users like you.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.