Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 27)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Later today, maybe right after I finish online, I hope to count my pennies. If I added more explanation, it would rob my simple statement of any humor.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes cents to me.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hadn't noticed it kicked into another page.

Yes, I did count them.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Here's something semi-odd...Google has introduced one of those "robo-number" things---where you have to type in numbers or letters or a mixture to prove you're not some computer somewhere just doing some automated thing. It came up for me today when I modified search criteria.

Something of a puzzler as to why they need to do it...maybe some of you understand the issue better than I do.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard of that before. However, I found an explanation: Google is trying to weed out the automated robot software when there's too much traffic on Google pages.

Answer from Google Web Search Help

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited September 01, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Seems to me that, though they may be weeding out traffic generated by artificial means and cutting down inflated numbers, they also defeat their purpose for existence by making it harder to work through.

Anybody seen this on other search engines? I haven't, yet...I see it elsewhere...

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE those things. Especially since, usually, they're almost impossible to read correctly the first time.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that when there are two of them one of them is the real test and another is from a scan of an old book that they are digitizing. That makes me happy when I get one of those, the ones with one are stupid though. It has cut down the bot activity though.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Just when I thought I'd dried out completely...last night I had two ideas for short stories. One came to me in a dream (or maybe just before I went to sleep)...the other came out of remembering an old paperback cover and playing an idea off that.

I even remember them today, which must mean they're all right. (Old rule-of-thumb---if you can't remember the idea it couldn't have been any good.)

At any rate, I've got something to play with in my mind for a while before writing something down. Neither idea is what you might call complete...

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
happy fathers' day (coming up) to any and all dads here on hatrack
Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
My father-in-law was recently in Australia and New Zealand - I'll have to inform my wife that she has to celebrate Father's Day twice now.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Learn something new every day...
http://www.fathersdaycelebration.com/fathers-day-in-australia.html

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

What a wasted day. Ever piss off someone for the wrong reason? Ever do it to three different people, all unrelated circumstances? Had high hopes on accomplishing some needed rewriting. Sheesh.

Anyone going to be at the Seattle State fair on monday?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just got home from work. Today was Payday, and, well...I didn't get paid. Neither did anybody else who didn't have direct deposit.

More as this develops.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
A client that usually works with the owner couldn't wait for him to be available so he directed her to work with me. I helped her choose her framing, mat etc. The piece turned out great.

While I was designing with her she had told me that she needed to keep it small for the space she was putting it in. I showed her a mat size that was both appropriate to the piece and fit her parameters. Mind you, this is a vintage fashion drawing and we had chosen a petite frame.

Now she has talked to the owner and said she doesn't like that the mat is so small.

I don't mind this in itself. If a client doesn't like the way something came out I am more than happy to change it. (This is extremely rare by the way.)

What bothers me is that she accused me of not advising her well. That I should've told her that the size of the mat was too small.

I have been doing this for twenty years. I am very specific when I work with clients about them seeing exactly what they're getting and I DO tell people if I think they're making a bad decision. I'm actually known for my direct, honest style and I have a lot of clients who appreciate that. There is about a half inch range where mat widths will look good on any given piece. It is not too small. And I did not fail her in giving advice.

But I am not psychic and I can not predict her whims of insanity or b****iness.

When I go in this morning she is going to be meeting with the owner to 'fix' the problem. I really don't want to be there because it's going to be very hard not to say something snide. I will try to be out of the room as much as I can.

That or I will sit at my computer focused on typing up the story notes I came up with at dinner last night for NaNoWriMo and try to ignore them.

Aaargh!

By the way, the boss knows how I work and he's not holding anything against me.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I am familiar with this problem G42. It's something I call temporary meglomania. You'll see it at a restuarant. A person is in a position where they can order someone around, in this instance a waitress, and begin to act like one of Cinderella's stepsisters.

The spoon is dirty. I didn't want ice in my drink. I was expecting my salad with the meal. Where is my meal? I didn't order this. This is cold, take it back. I want to see the manager...
The waitress was rude, unhelpful, slow...

Event planners (bless their hearts), will get the worse of it. Most of their contacts, representives for their clients, are helpful, kind, and a pleasant to meet. Then you'll get one that seem to revel into making anyone that answers to them uncomfortable. They search for the smallest flaw, ask a pointed question about it, and walk away in mid-sentence when the planners represenative attempts an explanation. They'll ignore the poor person assigned to make them happy and act like that person is an eyesore. Yet once when that poor person seeks a little time away, they go looking for them.

Such people are impossible to please. Fortunately, they are transparent. I wouldn't worry about the lady. It takes more than one perpetually unhappy person to besmerge a reputation. Just remember that you can't please all the people all the time. People like that make it a point to prove that axiom.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Day Two, and I still haven't been paid. All we know is that (1) those with direct deposit got their money, and (2) the problem is nationwide, not just at our plant.

Even if I had gotten a paycheck today, I couldn't have cashed it---the bank I do business with nearby are closed, and I wouldn't have felt motivated enough (or broke enough) to chase down a branch that was open. Moot point, anyway.

Also they pulled this stunt over the Labor Day weekend. If the check comes tomorrow, I won't be able to cash it till Tuesday. If it doesn't, I won't be able to get it until Wednesday night or Thursday morning. (Assuming they have it even by then.)

I'm not broke---not that I'm telling them that---and waiting a few days will work no hardships on me. (It will if it goes on.) Management, local and top, takes their responsibilities too lightly---they're big on us doing all sorts of things, but when it comes to their own duties, good luck in getting them to get it done.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks snapper. I understand exactly what you're saying. Does it add to the picture if I tell you that I work near Hollywood? The attitudes between the 'industry' people and Beverly Hills people can be outrageous. Though, most people are nice.

I didn't try too hard to get to work on time yesterday, as evidenced by the coffee and breakfast sandwich I walked in with. And by the time I got there, about eight minutes late, she had been and gone.

The boss did defend me and tell her that I am very good at what I do. But do you know what's telling? She said that the space she was going to put the piece was bigger than she realized and she offered to pay for the change. She didn't take back her comments about me but that's as good as admitting that it was her screw up. If she truly thought it was my fault she wouldn't have offered to pay.

Admittedly, I'm a little burned out right now. I have to go in today and I already have someone bringing in ten vintage posters first thing in the morning. After this though, I have finagled four days off and if I need it I will stretch it to five. More time to write and clean the bedroom

Sorry you haven't gotten paid Robert. That is lousy. Give 'em heck.

[This message has been edited by genevive42 (edited September 05, 2009).]

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I am sorry too, Robert but am very relieved that the money isn't needed for the weekend. Last place I worked at, that would have precipated a riot if the workers were told they had to wait until tuesday to get paid at the start of a 3 day weekend. Easily 50% of the guys needed to borrow money for lunch by Thursday (or sooner) because of their 'live for now' life style. It would have been a disaster for the bar owners if those guys had to stick out the weekend with empty pockets.
It is ironic that it sounds like they weren't delivered on time, considering you work for the post ofice.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I do know a lot of guys who live from paycheck to paycheck. I've put those days behind me...but something like this can drain my resources.

(But I might've put off buying that Blu-Ray DVD player if I'd'a known it was coming.)

On a vaguely related note---I was planning on buying the new Beatles remastered-CD box set when it comes out on Tuesday. (I've had the cash for it set aside for months, so I can cover it.)

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Does it add to the picture if I tell you that I work near Hollywood? The attitudes between the 'industry' people and Beverly Hills people can be outrageous. Though, most people are nice.

Yes it does, G42. It solidifies my opinion. In my previous career I moved people across the country. The job made me the middle manager on site. Not only was I responsible for my actions and the workers on the crew, I was also the represenative for the entire company to them. Such people can make your life hell. It is almost like they are testing the limits of your composure. It can be a game to them. You lose your cool and they win, and that's when the real fun begins.

Identifying these people before they get the opportunity to damage your pysche is crucial. They masquerade as customers that are protective of their things and have a standard of quality that they want to be met. You can help that type of customer, they're only hard to please. The other kind is the 'misery loves company' type. Here are some signs...

1) Their smile
The ones that don't return your smile are easy to spot. They'll get you to throw up your guard right away. It's the one's that give you that 'larger than a circus clown' grin that will get you to relax at first.

2) The stare
Judgemental, you see it right away. Easy to confuse it with a geniune interest of what you have to say. However, the stare they'll pierce you with is that Queen Anne one. Even when they're a foot shorter it's like they're staring down from the throne, eager to find a legitiment reason to behead you.

3) The dismissive wave
Sometimes there is no wave but the effect is the same. They cut you off in mid sentence at your first helpful suggestion. This is their way of setting the tone in your relationship. If you are the outstanding worker I suspect you to be, it will be your reaction to start trying harder at pleasing this person. They will be watching to see what you do at this moment.

4) Back to square one

The old bait-and-switch from the otherside of the counter. You worked hard on pleasing the crotchity crank, believe that you finally got what they wanted, and it all blows up in your face. Could be the most insignificant item, doesn't matter. Big show of displeasure, pointed comments to re-enforce your own feelings of inadequacy, demands to see your superior. If you get to this point excusing yourself and letting your boss handle the matter will go a long way in ruining their ploy. They are out to make your life miserable, showing that no matter what they do isn't going to ruin your day will make their whole display a meaningless, a wasted effort.

quote:
I didn't try too hard to get to work on time yesterday, as evidenced by the coffee and breakfast sandwich I walked in with. And by the time I got there, about eight minutes late, she had been and gone.

Good for you. You not being there made the game not fun. Can't make the peasant squirm if she's not around. Bet if you were on time her attitude on the matter and displeasure would have been different.

quote:
The boss did defend me and tell her that I am very good at what I do. But do you know what's telling? She said that the space she was going to put the piece was bigger than she realized and she offered to pay for the change. She didn't take back her comments about me but that's as good as admitting that it was her screw up. If she truly thought it was my fault she wouldn't have offered to pay.

Good for your boss and not a bad way to see her actions as an admission. I however see what see did as deviously Machiavellian one. He wrote attack from the position of the moral high ground or something close to it. Your boss said you were valuable as an employee. She countered with her money. Offering to pay even when she was disatisfied was an attempt to show how valuable she can be to your boss. The comment that the space was bigger than she realized was her way of saying that she is the reasonable person.

Just remember this is all fun to her, on a subconscience level. The best way to deal with this type of person is to become robotic, not in monotoned difficult way but in a detached unemotional one. This may run counter to the person you are but it is the person you are that makes them want to crush your world.

quote:
Admittedly, I'm a little burned out right now.

Understandable. Recharge and don't let it keep you down too long. She ain't worth it.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 05, 2009).]

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in the Deli department in a grocery store and I too can relate very strongly to these types of customers. I think snapper hits the proverbial nail on the head here across the board...I find myself doing all those things when confronted with the ocassional customer whose main goal seems to be using me to vent their days frustrations.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I feel for you, ME. I used to work in a grocery store myself. A deli is a higher quality area than the rest of the store. People expect the product that they buy to be better. Not at all hard to imagine the occasional person to come through with a power trip surge. Bet you wanted to use some potato salad as a pie-in-the-face before.
genevive42
Member # 8714

snapper you are right on. Part of the problem here is that we are a high-end service business that relies on customer service, repeat business and referrals. This means that we try very hard to make all of our customers long term.

Unfortunately I can't pawn difficult customers off on the boss because I am the boss, well manager. I wouldn't even have left her to deal with the owner had she not known him personally and called him directly.

Some bit of good was working for me yesterday because after she left I had a bunch of customers, new and old, that were very nice and appreciative of my help. There was even one that would've left had I not been here even though he only needed a little photo frame. Made me feel better about things and yes, the incident is behind me now.

And the couple that had all of the vintage posters this morning spent about three hours but were very easy to help.

So things are looking up and I am in a much better mood going into this long weekend. Thank you all for listening to me vent.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:

1) another term for such people is "toxic," and I give you all permission to reward yourselves with chocolate or whatever you consider a treat for having dealt with them

2) consider it all "grist for the mill" and think of ingenious ways to kill them off in your stories.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hating your job is probably the greatest inspiration for art ever. Not beauty, not human suffering, none of that. It's having a sucky job.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked many a lowly job, to which my recent "jobs" topic can attest, but of all of them, selling cars was one of the worst in regards to how I was treated by customers (and management). People tend to see the car salesman as the enemy. However, I did not work on commission, but instead, I made my income based on how many cars I sold and not how much I sold them for. I wasn't there to take anyone for a ride, figuratively or literally.

However, people often came there with the intent to treat the salesman, me, like crap. No matter how pleasant I tried to be, there was always that one customer, at least once a day, who decided it was acceptable to be rude and condescending. On the other end of the process, the managers had terrible tempers and would curse, demean, and actually throw objects at you if things didn't happen a certain way.

One should remember that people are people no matter what their job or societal position is, and people should be treated as people, equally. Consumers are a lot better off armed with information than with attitude, unless it's a beatitude.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

For abuse on the job from customers, nothing beats working the window at a post office. Or so I hear from my buddies who've actually done it.

(By the way, three days, and no paycheck.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Another note: the Beatles remastered CD set comes out on Wednesday, September 9th. I was thinking that was Tuesday.

How can I stand to wait one more whole day?

genevive42
Member # 8714

I will say that I don't actually hate my job. There are just occaional bad times. How can I hate a job that where I'm allowed to write and post on Hatrack when it's slow? I've done most of my NaNoWriMo notes there so far.

But it is true that I will bend over backwards to help a nice person and just do what's necessary for a nasty one. And do nasty people have a clue what we say about them after they leave? If they did, I don't think they'd be so nasty. Or maybe they would because they just don't care.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I generally prefer competence in coworkers...something somewhat in short supply.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Kathleen!

You mentioned in another post that you and She Who Must Be Impressed will use that twins joke whenever you are together. Do you really?

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
you guys are lucky you see other people at work.
I turn up, work alone in silence for eight hours, I go home and find I can't talk properly.

PS: I do get a lunch break, sometimes it is sunny.
and I did not know we celebrated father's day at different times of the year.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited September 06, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I once worked a job where the checks bounced, every time. I had to drive down to the owner's bank and ask if there was any money in the account. It was kind of soul crushing. That's why when I decided to go back to school I quit instead of just taking night classes. I told the guy, people will forgive much as long as they get paid.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I have a rather huge collection of DVD-Audio's and SACD's but one of my favorites is The Beatles Love DVD-Audio/CD. While most DVD-A discs require a DVD-A player, this particular disc will play back in 5.1 on any standard DVD player connected to a 5.1 system. The re-mastering into surround sound is stunning. Truly a whole new experience if you've never heard classic rock re-mastered in this way.

An impressive track list too.

1. Because
2. Get Back
3. Glass Onion
4. Eleanor Rigby/Julia (Transition)
5. I Am The Walrus
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing
8. Gnik Nus
9. Something/Blue Jay Way (Transition)
10. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter
11. Help!
12. Blackbird/Yesterday
13. Strawberry Fields Forever
14. Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
16. Octopus's Garden
17. Lady Madonna
18. Here Comes The Sun/The Inner Light (Transition)
19. Come Together/Dear Prudence/Cry Baby Cry (Transition)
20. Revolution
21. Back In The U.S.S.R.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
23. A Day In The Life
24. Hey Jude
25. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
26. All You Need Is Love

Here's the link to the correct one. All the formats can get confusing.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-CD-Audio-DVD-Beatles/dp/B000JJS8TM/re f=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252301176&sr=8-2

You can get it for less than $20 with shipping if you click where it says "32 new from $15.91"

Tracy

BTW, they have stopped printing this version of Beatles Love like they have all the other DVD-Audio disks and it will become a collectors item once stock runs out. In three years I bet you can't touch this disc for less than $80 used on eBay.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 07, 2009).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

I am sorry if I appear to be stalking you tnwilz, but you have some fantastic music on your blog... and your new sofa looks great, well at least through the window from your backyard.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've never wired up a home theater system...the times I've experienced it elsewhere in live, the sonic blast didn't seem worth it to me. And the expense is great. Right now when I play CDs, I use the speakers that came with the television I've got now---which seems adequate for what I have to listen to. I've got an expensive pair of headphones for some more sophisticated listening, but I rarely use them.

I liked the "Love" album enough to listen to it several times---the juxtapositions were often amusing and often insightful---but nothing replaces the actual tracks. (Truth to tell, I don't find it all that surprising that "Get Back" could be matched up with the drum solo passage on "Abbey Road"---the drummer in both cases was the same, and they were recorded within six months of each other.)

I think I've mentioned it before elsewhere in these pages, but downloading the tracks to my iPod brought up some minor problems. The "Huge One" medley on what was once Side Two of "Abbey Road" is, I think, best listened to as a single entity---but the track separation of the CD did not permit me to download this as one track.

Eventually, I dug out my vinyl copy of "Abbey Road," and was able, thanks to a record player I picked up, to make one single track of Side Two on a CD-R, then download that to my iTunes and eventually my iPod. The sound quality is still good---I've done this with a lot of records now, with many more to go---but if it was at all possible to combine individual tracks on a CD into one single track, I haven't found out how to do it.

Meanwhile, I enjoy a rare Monday off thanks to the holiday. I slept for nine hours.

But this also means I won't be in to work again until Wednesday night / Thursday morning---and won't be able to pick up my check until that point---assuming, of course, that someone gets their act together and the checks or cash or money orders are there for us. (The guy ostensibly in charge of us takes this matter much too lightly---I know for a fact he was paid, and by check.)

tnwilz
Member # 4080

Well, we're really talking about the difference between an old Polaroid instamatic and a Cannon SLR here in terms of sonics... still some people swear by the old Polaroid's don't they.

Thanks Andrew, I haven't paid much attention to the old blog lately. I had a bit of a fling with Missy didn't I (Probably because I met her) The last song in the player is "The sound of White" She wrote that song when she was a kid, isn't that unbelievable. When she was in school someone came to tell her that her best friend (her cousin) had died. She ran to the chapel to weep and it was all white inside and she said she felt he was there with her in the white light.

Which songs did you like in the little player? That Desree song gets me emotional every time. She wrote it herself about Shakespeare's tragic Romeo and Juliette. She can carry so much emotion in her voice.

Tracy

Oh since you're in the back yard, could you wheel out the trash cans to the curb, thanks buddy.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 07, 2009).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When I take photos, usually only when I'm on vacation, I use an old Olympus OM-1. It's about thirty years old now. I figure I'd upgrade to true digital when it busts.

(And, no, the cellphone I have doesn't have a camera plugged into its hardware. I use that mostly on vacations, too. Same position on upgrading.)

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

tnwilz,
I like the missy higgins songs.
Parochial Aussie . Have you heard her version of Stuff and Nonsense?

BTW: I have put out your garbage cans.... some interesting stuff in there.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited September 08, 2009).]

tnwilz
Member # 4080

Andrew, I actually really appreciated the part you deleted although I get why you did. It's sobering when feelings you didn't know you were capable of overwhelm you. That happened to me when I was 35. 35 years of life and I had no idea I was capable of disintegrating like that. Fortunately only Gina saw it (and it wasn't even close to the event you described). Seems like you've figured out how to move forward judging by your generally upbeat presence here and that makes everyone happy. It would be amazing to be able to express our feelings the way Missy was able to in, The Sound of White, wouldn't it. My daughter and I were talking to her and I asked her about Sugarcane. She turned very red and said she didn't want to explain it, which, ironically enough, did. I think a lot of her music is pretty personal and perhaps that is what has made her so engaging and Australia's favorite daughter - at least for a while. She is a sweet girl and surprisingly aware of the human condition for one so young. Are you anywhere near Melbourne or is Brisbane home? We have good friends that moved to Traralgon and they want us to go visit but we haven't yet. I have not heard that song but I'll search for it. Thanks for the tip.

Tracy

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 08, 2009).]

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing particularly random to report--perhaps Go Steelers will do?
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

Thanks tnwilz,
I got very self-conscious after I posted that.

We live in Hobart now but my family hales from Gippsland. Settled the Yarram/Alberton/Port Albert area. Traralgon was the 'big smoke'.

We regularly fly to Melbourne. You can get flights for around $60 if you keep your eye out.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Hobart_CBD.JPG

Looks beautiful Andrew. I often have thought that I'd like to live on Kauai after we visited a few years back, but Gina always laughs because she knows I'd get island fever in less than two weeks. So how is it after growing up on the mainland, is island fever real? Tas is over 200 miles long so maybe it doesn't feel that Islandy. The interior has to be stunning...and unique in all the world. I go up and stay in Yosemite all time to write because I find it inspiring. The same reason Anne McCaffrey says she moved to Ireland - somehow it's easier to envision dragons in Ireland. I can see that! Do you travel on the island much?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Tessellated_Pavement_Sunrise_Landscape.jpg

Now that's inspiring. Looks like an ancient UFO landing base.

Tracy

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

Yes. It is a beautiful and inspiring place.
This is near our house.

We live a little further up the river than Hobart.

Tasmania (if you include the islands) is about the same land size as Ireland. However, we have less than 10% of Ireland's population (and most of those are in two cities). So you can find some wild, rugged and isolated places.

You posted a link to the Tessellated Pavement. It is a beautiful spot, in some places those blocks of stone are entirely missing, and within the square pools left behind are these perfect little aquariums.

You'd like it.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

Yeah, that's a pretty nasty leak. Are they going to fix it? Very LOTR'sy isn't it. I think I'd sit on a rock with my laptop and see what came to me. But I'd tether it to my wrist just in case a Hobbit surged out of the ferns and tried to steal it.

I believe Ireland's population has mostly killed each other by now so it may be closer than you think haha.

Tracy

Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Andrew,
I'm officially jealous. I'm surrounded by concrete skyscrapers.
There's nothing like a majestic waterfall to inspire creativity.
Breathtaking.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Umm, Denem, you know that rumbling sound you can hear from your office... yeah that's not the AC, that's Niagara!

BTW, is Google streetview illegal in Canada or something? I mean they have Streetview in "Tasmania" fer cryin out loud, but not in Toronto???

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 08, 2009).]

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

yeah, well maybe I was showing off.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited September 08, 2009).]

Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
Niagara! I thought it was all the jumbo jets from Pearson International Airport.
Google Streetview isn't illegal in Canada, it just hasn't gotten this far north yet. It's funny, my boss was telling me a couple of weeks ago that the car driving around taking all of those 360 degree photos went down his street. We should be up and running here in about a year or so (wild guess).
Hey Andrew, small world, hey. What's your cousin's name, I've probably read some of her work. The Globe is a pretty prominant paper, particularly in the business district of Toronto.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.