Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 25)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been awhile since I have 'gristed' so I take pride in post 1200.

Randomness releases the bladder of tension.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Please do not release your bladder here, Owasm.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The purple pig is staring at me. He's perched between The Aquitaine Progression and A History of Russia!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please do not release your bladder here, Owasm.

Considering the dual meaning of your username, have you considered the irony of your request?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to release bladder and bowels both on Wednesday...I've been sick for the past two days.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back IB!

My husband's hp planner thing keeps beeping at me, and I can't figure out how to turn it off. At least I finally figured out was making that noise.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay hurray this weekend will be in the 100's! I hope the blistering heat stays at bay for a while.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Unwritten.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in Phoenix for the next few days. I forgot to pack a coat. Am I going to need one?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend sunscreen, this time of year.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
yes Snapper, bring a coat.

I just saw on the news this morning it's not supposed to get over 110 degrees this whole week. I might have to break out my sweaters and jacket. LOL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
"I demand that we all have Individual baggies!"

It's fun to switch channels and have people finish each others' sentences.

P. Sherman
42 Wallaby Way
Sydney

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

100s are nice after a month of everyday over 110. I went swimming today and the water was actually chilly! We checked the water temperature and it was 85.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The other day I went by the clock / thermometer at about ten AM, and it said ninety-six.

That's why I cut the lawn as soon as the sun is up.

snapper
Member # 7299

Took a nice little walk. The sun feels very good at 7:30 in the morning in the morning in Arizona. I didn't even need a coat.

I was supposed to showcase one of the new Taurus at the Bob Dylan concert on Tuesday. I guess the promoters never realized it got hot in Phoenix in August. No concert.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hail Colorado! Today's forecast: High in the mid-70's, humidity in the 30's, and a chance of thunderstorms, accompanied by fascinating light shows.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
The low today in Phoenix was 79. By Saturday the low is supposed to be 88. Isn't that sad when our low is warmer than your high?
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you get the chance Snapper swing buy White Sands Missile Range NM, its only 450 miles and a 7.5 hour drive.

Drop me a e-mail if you are so we can coordinate further.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I would love to, RFWII but I am expected in Tucson then San Diego. After that I will be all the way up the coast. If I ever get a chance to get out your way, I will drop you a line.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, I've always heard that if you want to know how the economy is doing, you should ask a truck driver. So is the economy getting any better?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I always heard you ask your bank statement. Last time I checked the answer was no.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Ask a truck driver??? Ha! What a laugh! Ever talk to a truck driver for more than four minutes? It's like talking to someone who has been stuck a deserted island for four years.

Truck drivers exaggerate, they'll tell you they're making so much money that they plan on buying Rhode Island one moment than will claim they're so broke that they've been living on a steady diet of dried raimen noodles for the past year, sometimes all in one sentence.

But since you asked this truckdriver... it ain't doing as bad as the media and politicians say. I'd say we bottomed out but not don't expect that we'll completely rebound for sometime.

I can make this assumption because I haul cars. It looked really bad around Feb. but since then promising signs for the industry have left me confident that no major car companies will be goign under for the time being.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The economy will be better in the spring of 2010, except in certain industries. However there's a good deal of stuff to dig out of once it does get better.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

The reason that truck drivers supposedly know how the economy is doing is because they are the ones who transport goods. Granted, some only transport one type of good, but they also see other truckers. It is difficult for a factory worker (who makes the goods) to know, because they are only responsible for one, or part of one, type of item. It's the same situation for individual department stores. Where Wal-Mart has not suffered much during this recession, other stores have. However, it is the longterm growth and decline of purchases that determine swings. When truck drivers become busy, that is when the economy is turning up.

People typically judge the economy by their own employment or available job openings. However, as the news reminds us constantly, this is the last indicator.

My biggest concern is the growing national debt, which is creating inflation by devaluating the dollar and the overall decrease in personal credit ratings due to housing issues and long-term unemployment.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Word Up!

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Shipping is a good way to judge how a civilization is doing. Keep your eyes on the ports. If substantially less shipping comes in year by year, the civilization is on its way down. (No, I don't have the USA stats handy, but they must be around somewhere.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Yesterday and today, I had this water gurgling up out of the ground just next to my driveway. It was slight but fairly constant, flowing down the driveway and puddling in the low spot.

It wasn't my city water line, which is on the other side of my front lawn, and my meter wasn't moving. It wasn't the sewer: that's closer and the water didn't smell bad. It's not the "dual water" connection: there is none on my side of the street and I'm not hooked up to it.

Today the city guys were here to look at it. (I was out: my father came down and watched things.) Seems there's a whole other city water connection line on that side of the driveway, and that was what was leaking. The city guys had it dug up and fixed quickly enough. (There's a bare spot on my lawn, and it'll probably sink down some, but I'd rather have that than a gusher.)

But why was a separate line there? I've got two guesses. (1) When the house was being built (not by me: I bought it off the rack) they put the line there, then someone decided it wasn't needed and they put another line where it belonged. Or (2) there were two lots here originally, both with city water hookup lines...then the lots were subdivided, two lots into three lots, and the line got forgotten in the shuffle.

Anyway, it's fixed. I hope.

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
My biggest concern is the growing national debt, which is creating inflation by devaluating the dollar and the overall decrease in personal credit ratings due to housing issues and long-term unemployment.

I am one-hundred percent behind you on this. I know Kathleen hates it when we talk politics so I will try to keep things short.

No one is taking thsi seriously. It gets backhanded attention by every politician.

Yes, the deficit is a concern, but (war on terroism, health care, social security, gold tiles in the congressional bathrooms) is a problem for every American...

Every decision made in government and dollar allocated for it should answer this question, is it so important to doom the next generation with national bankruptcy?

The national debt will be resolved the same way it gets resolved in third world nations; runaway inflation. I'm talking double, and sometimes, triple digit kind.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited August 11, 2009).]

satate
Member # 8082

The economy will rebound 2013 on May 15 at 4:05 am.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The news stories circulating today say that the recession is already over---so Ben Bernacke should get another term as Head of the Fed.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Oh, they fixed it? Whew! And to think I was worried.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert your extra water line reminds me of when people are born with a little extra because they had a twin who died and merged with them. I was actually picturing a house in a womb. Thanks for that bizar image, really.

I try to assume that most of the people don't know what they are talking about, but they talk anyway because what else is there to do?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote…..The economy will be better in the spring of 2010, except in certain industries. However there's a good deal of stuff to dig out of once it does get better…….end quote

Waits so I wasted $10,000 on ammunition and guns for nothing?

I was really hoping that the bottom would fall out and the world would fall into WW V. Yes World War 4, how you may ask, well the 100 year war between all European countries a few hundred years ago was WW I, the Napolic wars were WW II, what we call WW I and WW II was really WW III and WW IV.
Take it from someone who has lived 3000 years of human history, I know what I am talking about, or maybe its just the sleeping pills mixed with pain killers at 0130 Mountain time that is making me talk this way..

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My brothers are twins.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I spent the day in a Medicaid/Medicare funded nursing facility. I don't want to get political, but if this is representative of what everyone's future healthcare is going to be like, I plan on taking up skydiving sometime around the age of 80.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was supposed to be triplets---this was back in the Dark Ages of medicine, and the doctor thought he heard three heartbeats.

Instead, I weighed ten and a half pounds. My mother has never let me forget that.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

I'm going to be honest: I find identical twins a little creepy.

Not like "I can't stand to be in their presence" creepy, but definitely a little creepy.

Maybe it was "The Shining" that did it to me.

Apologies to any identical twins out there; I'm sure you are very nice people.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Popping candy is bizarre! It contains carbon dioxide to make it fizz.

As a kid, my best friends were a pair of identical twins. They were very similar, and yet they looked different (to me) and had differences in personalities. They are individuals.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Can't sleep.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My brothers were fraternal twins.

On our street, we had three other pairs of twins, all about the same age. No, it's nothing in the ground---they were all born when their parents lived elsewhere, and moved in when they were babies.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

When I was in college at a small school in Tennessee, we had five people who had gone to the same elementary school - in Nigeria! Three of them were siblings, none of which were twins - children of missionaries. Another was the child of parent who was some kind of business advisor, oil maybe, I don't really remember. And the other, my roommate, was the son of a CIA agent.

Can we all sing "It's a Small World".

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Sleep what is that?

i sleep only a few hors a week and i dont like it.

So the CIA is trying to make lots of coppies of themselves? i knew it. the Govt is trying to brain wash all of us.

RFW2nd

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Wait, CIA twins? Now that really is creepy.
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I have been gone for a few months and this thread continues.
One has to ponder the universe...or at least the ennui of Hatrackers..

:-)

I am looking forward to creative unemployment. I do not plan to work again (after a short 20 day gig in Sept.) until 2010.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Read the pages so far, if you dare.

Y'know, kindergarten through college, I went to four different schools. There wasn't one student besides me from any of the previous schools. (The college was a thousand miles away from the other three, though.)

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Beware the mental lethargy that comes from unemployment.

It's a small word after all, it's a small word after all.
There is just one i and a little t that is all there is to 'it' you see.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm starting to think every day I go in will be my last. Today might very well have been my last day if I'd "expressed my opinion" to the supervisor.

I look forward to retirement. Actually I might be able to pull it off right now, but it'd be a thin living...I hope to sock away a few more bucks in the next few years and then retire.

Marita Ann
Member # 8697

- posted      Profile for Marita Ann   Email Marita Ann         Edit/Delete Post 
I have friends who are identical twins and they are both great singers. It sounds awesome when they sing a duet because their voices are so similar.

In other news... I'm engaged!!! The former BF proposed a week ago, by a lake in West Virginia. We both still have two years left of college, so it will be a while before the big day, but oh well.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, in pop music, it was the Everly Brothers (who weren't twins) who had the most influence on harmony. The Everly Brothers came out of country music, and the harmony of the Everly Brothers influenced the harmony of the Beatles, and the Beatles influenced, well, everybody.
Zero
Member # 3619

Congrats, Marita Ann
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.