Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 60)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

It does.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe all the talkative people went to WorldCon.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got it active enough to move to another page...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe all the talkative people went to WorldCon.

AHHH there it is again.

I was supposed to go this year, and I had to cancel at the last minute. I am so bummed and it seems like everyone everywhere is talking about it.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to go, too, and it's not even that far from me ... only a couple of states to the west. Oh, well. Maybe next year in Chicago is doable.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is grist for the mill or not, but I was just watching the BBC proms.

I couldn't help but notice that all the musicians were looking at their music and playing perfectly well. The music was fine, none of them looked at the conductor, aside from the odd glance.

So, what is he for? What does the conductor do?

Probably ignorance on my part, but rock bands and the like don't need some bloke with a stick to direct them, so why does an orchestra?

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
You spend years brewing your own beer, making meticulous notes, marking every change in temperature, measuring hops like a fanatic, even growing your own, and, finally, after years, and years and bloody years, you find the perfect pint (and even a run on sentence to go with it), and realise that you never noted the recipe, at all.

Excuse me while I go outside and throw myself on a potato fork until it really, really bloody hurts.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Tempo. Never quite mastered it when I was in a grade school band.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the conductor is sort of like the director of a movie. You don't see him doing anything when the film is rolling, but he has made it clear to the actors how they are to "play their music/roles" and they do that according to his interpretation of the music/script.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Today I thought of another reason it might be quiet around here but it seems to be picking up again so my idea could be wrong,

A lot of people are over at google+. I spend about ten to twenty minutes a day there but others seem to be there a lot.

And I think Kathleen has a point about conductors. Some of what a orchestra does is for show, including turning their instruments. And they have already practiced a lot with the conductor so beyond him-or her- explaining the music and saying it's time to start the song, they may not pay attention to him so much. They already know what they are to do and when. I have heard of orchestras playing without a conductor for one reason or another.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've heard John Phillip Sousa's band started cold---tuning up was just for show and he disapproved of it.

As I recall, the gestures the conductor makes are for balance---which group of instruments he wants loud or soft, dominating or background---non-musical terms, but it's been, like, forty years since I last watched a conductor from the viewpoint of a musician being conducted.

(I remember once having to play, oh, "Stranger in Paradise," it's best known to listeners---Poly-something-or-other Dance #2 by Borodin. The brass section dropped out---all of us had forgotten our sheet music. I played the lead from memory, though I was third chair at the time.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Some of you may have seen most of this already but figured- took me long enough- it could still go here.

Went on a weekend wedding anniversary trip to Yosemite- two night stay at B&B- at the beginning of August-- told you it took me long enough to think of placing this here.

The weekend was great except for two- three clitches. That third one was how long the line was to get in. Yikes, it was the longest we have ever seen by far. And inside the park they closed one lane on some of the two lane one way roads. With no warning.

Second we got lost momentarily while parking. Had to drive around so much we got turned around and turned around. Took a loong moment to figure out where the stores and bathrooms were.

Third, was the biggest. Five minutes after taking off to leave we couldn't find my wife's camera. Since mine malfunctioned, it was the only one with pictures of this year and she needs it. We pulled over and she ended up tearing up the area behind the seats in my pickup and wrecking the Styrofoam cooler we had just bought before I finally remembered where I saw her put it. And as we waited in the line to get in, my camera decided it was time to quit, not even new batteries helped.

Nice B&B- great, relaxing place- and very nice scenery though.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Quiet here again.

I've indulged in a massive clean-up of my office, about two-thirds complete (and that took a whole week).

Anyway, my desk, a cheap plywood table, is now largely devoid of crap. But removing the stuff on top of it and under it seems to have an effect. Right now, I'm typing this out on my keyboard---and the whole thing squeaks like hell.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, it is quiet, I've been trying to think of something to say.

But if your keyboard squeaks, you probably need a new one.

Sounds like you need some of that heavy stuff on your desk. Maybe buy a hardback dictionary or some heavy book on your type of business. It might impress your co-workers and possibly your boss.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, nobody but family visits my home---and that's the way I like it. The last one of them in my office was my mother, last week, where I visited YouTube and pulled up old video clips of The Temptations.

Even then, she stood just outside the door. It was right after that, that I decided to bite the bullet and start cleaning in here.

Doesn't seem to be squeaking as much right now; I took advantage of a little open space and shifted around to another angle...either way, someday soon I plan to get a proper desk in here, assuming I'm still working in the near future...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Interesting.

Where I work I ain't got no desk. In fact I have to lay out my laptop on a work table, every now and then getting in someone's way who wants to work through break.

At home we have just a computer desk with a wee bit of space for any writing. Of course I do most writing on the computer so it usually doesn't matter.

The computer is one piece with a flat but slanted top-down toward the back, it's a bit of sticky wicket to write on top of it. My pen always rolls off when I put it down, then I have to spend a while looking for it instead of writing. Got to find a better place for it.

I thought I would get that out of the way before anyone else asks.

Actually I have written in that wee space. I need an address or sometimes after I turn off the computer and am brushing my teeth etc. to get ready for bed when an idea about the story I was just writing on comes to mind. So instead of firing everything back up, I just pen a few lines to jog my memory the next evening.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

By the way, I say "office" but it's really "third room" of a three-room house. I have "main bedroom" (the one with the attached bathroom), "library" (second room) and "office" (third room). There's also "living room" and "dining room," between the two, as well as "kitchen" and "garage." And there are a lot of books and boxes piled up in nearly all of them...
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You spend years brewing your own beer, making meticulous notes, marking every change in temperature, measuring hops like a fanatic, even growing your own, and, finally, after years, and years and bloody years, you find the perfect pint (and even a run on sentence to go with it), and realise that you never noted the recipe, at all.

Happened to me this week. Great minds and all that (minus the run on). I'll call this my pdblake brew and bend an elbow in your honor. Sláinte!

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 95 cent Avon paperback from February 1974 called "2020 Vision" edited by Jerry Pournelle. It has short stories by Poul Anderson, Harlan Ellison, Larry Niven, A.E. Van Vogt, Norman Spinrad, Ben Bova, and two people I can't track down: Dave McDaniel and Dian Girad. Pournelle commissioned all the stories.

I remember looking at the spaceship cover as I stood by the revolving book rack in the Eckerd's Drugstore in Concord, North Carolina. I had ridden my bike up to there to buy a book.

Somehow this paperback has managed to avoid "transportation" to Goodwill or to the Library. I'm glad. The smell of the pages brings back some of that sense of wonder I felt when I read those stories over 35 years ago.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

In regards to writing 1974 isn't that far back but how is the writing?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A quick check of my library turns up no copy, but I think I remember seeing it, lo those many years ago...y'know, a lot of my books of that vintage have yellowed and aged...and the ones I really liked a lot and reread frequently are also quite battered, a lot of 'em practically falling apart.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
...waiting.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A little early but I know what Santa Claus drives when he's giving the sleigh and/or reindeer a rest. An older small pickup. I wasn't able to see what make.

I was stopped for a red light and turned to see if there was anything to see. There he was pudgy, about the right height, with a full, long, white beard. He wore a red baseball cap. And you probably can guess what color pick up.

What I don't know is if he lives around here or just traveling the countryside; checking on his list, slumming or just mellowing out.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A rant. Cartoon Network is running old "Looney Tunes / Merrie Melodies" Warner Bros. cartoons---you know, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, etcetera. (Probably to promote their "new" half-hour sitcom Looney Tunes cartoon.)

Yesterday, I flipped through channels and happened on it. They were running "The Scarlet Pumpernickel"---which, if you know it, is one of their classic best cartoons. I watched it through---they're only eight minutes long, most of the time---and damned if they didn't edit out, first, one funny sight-gag, and then the ending! (If you know the cartoon, you probably know the nature of the cut gags.)

It's hardly the only time. There was a Bugs Bunny cartoon that had an ending that---but I digress. I think anybody watching, child or adult, isn't going to be influenced to do anything or believe anything from something they see Bugs or Daffy do or say. But, even if they're protecting the innocent children---why should us putative adults suffer?

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think anybody watching, child or adult, isn't going to be influenced to do anything or believe anything from something they see Bugs or Daffy do or say.

As a child, and even through my teenaged years, I heard the hyper-protective bubble-wrap-advocate parents rage out against one of my all-time favorite cartoons: The Road Runner. And, it's a good thing I took their warnings to heart...one Saturday morning, after watching that cartoon, I asked my mom to drive me to the tallest building in town; "I want to jump off and land head-first on the concrete sidewalk so I can turn into a walking accordian, just like Wile E. Coyote did. That would be so cool!!!"

This post brought to you by the phrase: "Dripping with sarcasm."

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Funny you should mention this Robert, as I am watching it right now with my two younger boys. They have been showing these classics for some time. I have not seen "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" on in a while, but the last time I saw it they had not cut anything from it.

EDITED TO ADD:

Well, I just talked to my wife and she told me that we have it on DVD and nothing is edited out of the DVD version but that TV has almost always cut out the last scene. She sent me this link

[This message has been edited by EVOC (edited September 15, 2011).]

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Is it possible to make people do what you want them to? Without the use of threats or promises...
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The Wiki article refers to Daffy "sneezing," but what he does is, er, partake of some snuff, and his reaction thereafter---and I suppose they don't want the impressionable kiddies thinking Daffy was partaking of something else...

quote:
Question: Is it possible to make people do what you want them to? Without the use of threats or promises...

A certain guru of a certain group who shall remain nameless says all you need to do to make someone your slave is use "please" and "thank you." Give that a try.

EVOC
Member # 9381

quote:
The Wiki article refers to Daffy "sneezing," but what he does is, er, partake of some snuff, and his reaction thereafter---and I suppose they don't want the impressionable kiddies thinking Daffy was partaking of something else...

I don't get it either. I have three very young boys and they love the classic Looney Tunes. The problem is parents who have a problem with certain shows don't restrict their kids from them. Any cartoon my kids watch, I watch first. This way if I don't like it, they don't watch it.

I found the full version on Youtube.. For those that wish to know what was so "offensive".

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
DisneyChannel is doing it to with their old Mickey Mouse cartoons too, except they are taking it a step farther. They're adding moderns "Pow"s and "Zang"s and pointless commentary (MST style.)
I haven't seen the one where Goofy fishes with tabacco yet, they probably won't even try to edit that one.

I wonder if they've butchered my favorite one yet. I forget its name but Elmer Fudd was a Mountie hunting Bugs. It ends with Elmer asking Bugs if he has any last wishes and Bugs goes into "I wish I was in Dixie . . . " and the whole firing squad turns into a minstrel show. I doubt they'd show that.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Yea they cut that ending too.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I couldn't locate my guide to Looney Tunes to get a title (it's getting harder and harder to dive into my pile of books), but that was the Bugs Bunny cartoon and cut sequence I had in mind when I mentioned it above---I didn't find out it even existed until I was an adult. I've seen two different edit jobs on it over the years.

Lots of blackface gags get routinely cut. There was one in a Tweety-and-Sylvester movie where Sylvester, disguised as a Swedish maid, complete with Swedish accent, comes in to clean Tweety's cage, grabs Tweety, but actually grabs a firecracker (?) which explodes, [the following being cut] and Sylvester, now in blackface, does an Eddie "Rochester" Anderson imitation and leaves, collapsing at the end.

There's some cartoons that have been dropped altogether. There's one called "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs," which is one of those things you have to see to believe. I'd post a link but it's a touchy matter---I just watched the whole thing on YouTube, so you can find it there. (Some consider this Bob Clampett's masterpiece, too.)

Somebody said there's, like, seven Warners cartoons they won't show on TV, even when they're showing "all of them" in a marathon run. Too bad.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Go UTES!!!
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Hurray for Peter Dinklage winning the Emmy for "Game of Thrones." His portrayal of Tyrion is the best thing about that show.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking about blogging

http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/2011/09/18/

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What I can't figure out is why the I LOVE LUCY episodes are still considered politically correct.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You want some brutal editing...the current versions of I Love Lucy running [on Lifetime? I forget, even though I sometimes watch them there] often take punchlines out of jokes...one joke had Fred Mertz run out and get baseball gear for the soon-to-be-Little-Ricky, and shows Lucy a baseball signed by "the greatest baseball player there ever was." She looks at it---and this is the part they cut out---and says, "Oh! Spaulding!"
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Cage a Vampire from the Civil War era???

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/is-nicolas-cage-a-vampire/216

But if he was Lincoln would have got him.

Hey. What, you didn't you know Abraham Lincoln was a vampire hunter???

At least according to one book.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Vampire? What does that make the rest of his family? And haven't we been plagued by their movies long enough now?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Here's a link to a site that has the photo without an annoying video...

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/09/20/civil-war-era-photo-eerily-resembles-nicolas-cage-sparks-vampire-rumors/?test=faces

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but don't the walruses carry hats for just that sort of thing?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

I am so glad Hatrack is back up. I was shaking from withdrawals
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I was on Hatrack just before it went down yesterday, and every single category said it had zero topics and zero posts. Scary.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think skadder is waiting to make post #3000
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
So, it turns out I check Hatrack a lot......
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So where's it all been for the past two days?

Thought it might've been me---either my computer or AOL, probably the latter, has a case of the slows---but, here, I got the "routine maintenance" screen...

EVOC
Member # 9381

Routine Maintenance was what I got too. Don't know what it was down so long for.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Random thought...

Yesterday, the lightbulb in my office lamp blew out. It was annoying, 'cause I'd just changed it about ten days ago. I changed it again, and was sitting here at my computer, when, damned if the new lightbulb blew out, too!

I suppose now there's a problem with the old lamp. It's about, well, how old it is, I can't say---I bought it used, twenty-five years ago---and if it's going to keep blowing out my meager and dwindling supply of Edison-base 100 watters, I'll just have to replace it, maybe with a proper neon-tube office light. (How's that for a long sentence?)

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, its been quite a while. My WIP has been nibbling at my heels, begging for attention. Last night I wrote three paragraphs--it's been since Oct. 2010 that I wrote anything on my 'puter. Wow! Didn't know it had been so long, until I checked just now.

I finally transitioned out of a job that drained all my energy. For two years I tried to write an operations and maintenance manual about a system of systems to which I did not have access. I like tech writing when its part of what I'm creating, but not when its about stuff I'm not knowledgeable about.

Now I'm back to writing code (programming), and absolutely loving it. I'm close to finishing a milestone. I'll have to write test procedures and test it (more tech writing), but I don't mind since the purpose is to validate my own creative work (the software). Life is good!

Also I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and feel very hopeful about the cure. I'm tired of being tired all the time. With renewed energy from good sleep and a job I love, I am very optimistic about getting back to Ida (my WIP).

These positive changes are coming about after much prayer. Thanks God! I give Him the credit.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My father fixed my old lamp...it has this old Christmas-tree light that illuminates a glass base (I never use it), and it had come loose and (according to my Dad) was causing the other bulbs to blow out.

So far it works...which I'm glad of 'cause I don't have to replace it. A stroll through the office supply stores turned up only small desk lamps, the kind that illuminate what's in front of you, not the whole room. This will continue to do.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.