Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 7)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:

extrinsic - Ever heard of ESWL (shock wave) therapy?

Unwritten - consider other forms of the words
affect - usually a verb (emotional connotation) - affection
effect - usually a noun (factual connotation) - efficient

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to red hot dogs since our musings have turned to food and since Unwritten has had a red hot dog. They stain teh pans red when you boil them, and we used to eat them all the time becuase there was a factory near our house that made them and we could get the rejects way cheap. I know. irregulars in hot dogs. Ick. If I had been old enough to know better....Anyway, they had all sorts of weird appendages, some of them were like siamese hot dogs or something. Ahhhh memories. But they sure were good on the grill, when they'd split open and get all charcoaled.

Also, I had e coli and I had something this last month that lasted for week and put me in the ER on morphine and it was way worse than my C-section pains.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
extrinsic - Ever heard of ESWL (shock wave) therapy?

Yeah, the local urologists call it lithotripsy for short. There's a lithotripsy trailer that runs a weekly circuit to regional hospitals around here to perform the procedure. It's ten grand a pop. Money I don't have, no insurance, and it's not covered under any indigent's assistance program available to me. Other more invasive procedures for acute stones are even more expensive. My alternative to passing on my own was having a life-threatening emergency needing surgical intervention that would be partially covered by indigent assitance programs. My stones have cost me eight grand I didn't have as it is. Unneeded MRIs and CT scans, X-rays, radiologists, urologists, emergency room doctors, ambulance fees. Still paying off those debts. The big stone came out with pieces of flesh stuck to it.

Get your red hots here!
One apocryphal legend I've run across on red-hot hot dogs was that the casings are dyed red to indicate that they're extra spicy, cayenne pepper spicy. I've had them spicy hot, but most are just imitators. The red dyed ones were to differentiate from milder frankfurters.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
extrinsic, please don't talk about kidney stones and hot dogs in the same post ever again...
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
or hot dogs and e coli

I'll never forget the day I saw my sister in law at the store and she was letting my nephew eat a raw red hot dog as he was sitting in that filthy shopping cart. Blech.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in the hospital as a patient just twice in my life---once when I was, oh, seven or eight, when I had to have stitches---then again in May of 2000 when a boil on my back became infected and needed to be lanced. Neither was an overnight stay...the first was a one-shot visit and the second was one visit and a followup to remove some padding...and the first experience, involving not being told what was going on and being held down struggling while stitched up, did not endear me to the idea of doctors or nurses or hospitals or the practice of medicine.

[edited 'cause of an awkward last sentence...not that the next one is much of an improvement.]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited March 26, 2009).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody on TV, talking about the floods along the Red River of the North, spoke of the water rising at a rate of "one tenth of a foot" an hour.

Whatever happened to inches?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
man what a grate day. i got off for lunch at 0945 45 min after getting to work. then returned to work at 1300.

who ever said the army was hard work was realy wrong. 99% of our time is BSing and 1% real work.

Working hard at hardly workin

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Shimiqua,

How does it feel to have started such a long thread? Mine rarely get past the first page, unless they get sidetracked by parties who shall remain nameless. But for some reason, no one has sidetracked this particular thread. Wow.

Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tenth of a foot an hour. Politically correct attempt at metricizing the English system of measurement.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've been in the hospital as a patient just twice in my life

Lucky you. I have spent two hundrend and forty three nights in a hospital bed...and I'm only thirty-one.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you sidetrack a random musings thread?

Just a stray thought.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I neglected to mention the week-or-less I spent in the hospital right after I was born. But I was a small child then and I really don't remember it.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Forest Gump says life is like a box of chocolates. My life is more like a meadow overgrown with bramble patches that needs to be negotiated.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just noticed the post dates on this site are about an hour off my time [Eastern Daylight Savings Time]. They were right on the beam before. Did the site not "spring forward" a couple of weeks ago? Or is it something on my end? (How's that for something random to discuss?)
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate daylight savings time.
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
quote------
----end quote

my new faverit lyrics of ANY song. my buddy introduced me to Afroman.

9 months and 5 days left in the Army.

RFW2nd

Note from Kathleen:

Sorry RFWII, no quoting of song lyrics without permission.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 28, 2009).]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
An hour of day
Was stolen prematurely
From the world

A curse so wrought
Upon my soul
By demons of the East

My days are dark
And slow to start
Before the rising sun

I raise my fist
To evil spawn
Who steal away my time

And when those beasts
Deign to return my hour
I’ll feel the curse again

-Burma Shave

rights to reproduce freely given by Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am one heck-of-a-shot. There is not a deadline I cannot miss
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting point on tone of voice.

Both Buckeye fans and Wolverine fans chant 'Go OSU!'.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm, got something against daylight savings?

I am going to use that poem by the way. You a fan of the Marx Brothers?

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
As a Wolverine fan, I can say:
quote:

Both Buckeye fans and Wolverine fans chant 'Go OSU!'

This is true only if the Buckeyes are playing Notre Dame.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I hate daylight savings time. All it does is jerk me around for no benefit I can see. It's still light when I have to get up for work---and I have enough trouble sleeping during the day as is.

As for that nonsense about helping the farmers...don't they get up with the sun and go down with it as well?

satate
Member # 8082

I'm so glad Arizona doesn't do daylight savings.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, that's the worst thing about daylight savings - how are we supposed to keep track of time differences when no one can agree on 1) if they will do daylight savings and 2) WHEN they will start/stop their daylight savings??

Sighs.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
Both Buckeye fans and Wolverine fans chant 'Go OSU!'.

Also Cowboys...Oklahoma State

extrinsic
Member # 8019

I have rarely paid any atention to Daylight Savings Time. Several of my clocks remain set on Standard Time until DST ends and they are right again. No, I'm not late for things either. Most of what I do is not so time dependent that I need to be somewhere at a specific time. Besides, my computer keeps track of the accurate time.

DST has long since been of little exclusive impact to agricultural practices. Anymore, tourism and recreation industries, and consequently the overall economy, benefit most from DST.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On a related note...ever hear the story about how schools let kids out in the summer "to help on the farm?" Who among us has actually done that during the summer, and not as a lark or learning experience but as part of the family business?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing up, one of my best friends had to tend 40 head of cattle every day. He and his father always got up before the sun; after school, I'd help him until an hour or so before dark--his father would work until the light went.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 30, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogmatic
Member # 8425

- posted      Profile for Dogmatic   Email Dogmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
"Nobody wins in a butter eating contest."
~H. Simpson~

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

In construction we start before the sun rises and end when it goes down, very depressing. Thank god it is mostly seasonal in the north.(I get up at 4AM and get home at 7PM, usually.)
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Little Known Facts of the Day:

1) On days when he had to do a lot of walking, Jesus would turn water into gel for his sandal inserts.

2) Because there is no word for "boss" in China, crowds at Bruce Springsteen concerts shout, "Supervisor!"

3) When he died on March 7, 1999, director Stanley Kubrick was making plans to begin shooting his next film, MEATBALLS 5.

4) In 1964, meteorologists were baffled when March came in like a lion and went out like a hedgehog.

5) An AMERICAN IDOL contestant was recently disqualified from the competition after testing positive for dignity.

6) In China, John Steinbeck's THE GRAPES OF WRATH is translated as ANGRY BERRIES.

7) PEOPLE magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" is seventh in line to the presidency.

8) In the early drafts of the POLTERGEIST script, the little girl got sucked into the toaster.

9) Walt Whitman's dying words were, "Kiss my ass."

10) Today is International Women's Day! Now shut the hell up and go make me a sandwich.

11) The Vatican currently employs six stunt-popes.

12) In 2004, the FBI foiled an Al Qaeda plot to disrupt the cattle judging at the Illinois state fair.

13) When he's not working, Satan enjoys golf, jazz, Victorian novels, and spending time with his family.

14) A Freedom of Information Act request was recently filed asking the government to reveal the location of the Hidden Valley Ranch.

15) Regis Philbin and Charles Manson were college roommates.

16) After years of research, scientists have discovered that, in spite of their remarkable intelligence, dolphins are incapable of sarcasm.

17) In the early drafts of CARRIE, Stephen King's first novel, Carrie White's paranormal power was the ability to make people talk like Daffy Duck.

18) Apple has spent nearly 200 million dollars trying to develop a wooden iPod for the Amish.

19) Until 1926, the president and vice president were required to sleep in the same bed.

20) The National Weather Service has four employees who do nothing but watch for clouds that are shaped like animals.

21) Moses's last name was Weintraub.

22) The National Weather Service has four employees who do nothing but watch for clouds that are shaped like animals.

23) In the early drafts of William Styron's novel SOPHIE'S CHOICE, Sophie was forced to choose between paper and plastic.

24) "You're not clean until you're Zestfully clean" is an old Arapaho proverb.

25) The first entry ever to be searched on Google was "nude hot oil wrestling."

26) Gerald Ford's first job after leaving the White House was providing the voice of Carlton the Doorman on RHODA.

27) The Wright brothers' cousin Duane invented the luggage carousel.

28) No one named Gary has ever been pope.

29) Shortly before the end of his life, Elvis was planning to star in a movie called VIVA PIE.

30) The term "No sh*t, Sherlock," first appeared in the book of Leviticus.

31) According to a poll in FILM COMMENT magazine, fans' least favorite James Bond was Randy Quaid.

32) In 1988, several HOLLYWOOD SQUARES panelists were seriously injured when Dom DeLuise, Louie Anderson, and Roseanne Barr were all seated in the top row.

33) When among friends, Jesus always referred to his 12 disciples as "my posse."

34): In his will, kitchen-gadget inventor Ron Popeil has asked that his remains be julienned.

35) Eva Braun's parents felt she could do much better than Hitler.

36) According to documents recently uncovered by historians, Mary Todd Lincoln was into leather.

37) Phil Donahue is under the impression his show has been on hiatus waiting for new carpeting.

38) In parts of Wyoming, it's legal to hunt the elderly.

39) Although he never received credit, Thomas Edison invented the flat-front chino.

40) A panel of experts concluded that there are no jokes about the Jonestown massacre because the punch line is too long.

41) To create a nurturing, nonjudgmental atmosphere, many math teachers now tell children that no numbers are truly negative.

42) When she died, speed-reading pioneer Evelyn Wood was working on a way to watch television more quickly.

43) The classic 1968 movie PLANET OF THE APES was based on a true story.

44) During his term with the Federal Reserve, Alan Greenspan lost 2.8 billion dollars in taxpayer money betting on keno.

45) In addition to its versatile knives, the Swiss Army is known for its multifunctional pants.

46) During the advertising campaign for its quick-rising breadsticks, Pillsbury briefly made its Doughboy anatomically correct.

47) Chinese restaurants require Peking duck to be ordered 24 hours in advance so the duck may enjoy one last day with its family.

48) Burt Bacharach ends every concert by flipping over the piano and biting the head off a rat.

49) Biblical historians now believe that, although he could walk on water, Jesus was a lousy swimmer.

50) Milton Bradley invented Twister as an excuse to touch women at parties.

51) Because of his name, Alexander the Great believed he would grow up to be a magician.

52) Mitt Romney has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to a blackmailer who has photos of him with his tie askew.

53) The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has spent millions of dollars trying to cross a bridge before they come to it.

54) Wanted criminals can elude law-enforcement jurisdictions by seeking refuge in an International House of Pancakes. (That falls under the jurisdiction of the UN.)

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 30, 2009).]

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY are there so many of those "facts"? I tired of picking out the truth from the lies about halfway through.

quote:
ever hear the story about how schools let kids out in the summer "to help on the farm?" Who among us has actually done that during the summer, and not as a lark or learning experience but as part of the family business?

I did. For a couple years, my family owned a hay farm. Before that, I worked in a fruit shed owned by family friends. Sorting pears is fun, apples is boring, and peaches is a bit icky. Have you ever picked up a 49er to discover your thumb is in brown rot? Imagine that happening a dozen times in a day. Carrying hay bales and wooden boxes full of fruit certainly contributed to my upper body strength, though. I laugh whenever someone thinks I'm weak just because I'm skinny. More people should work on a farm, even as a lark or learning experience.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Just what were he and Julio doing down by the schoolyard?
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, IB. I especially like number 5.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

LOL --- Actually I like most of them. My new favorite is 46.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

An extremely rare homonym error I enounter more than most anyone should.

Allowed :-- Aloud

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

quote.....53) The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has spent millions of dollars trying to cross a bridge before they come to it. end quote

SO VERY TRUE...

were do i get the permission to quote the lyrics then???

RFW2nd

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
From the copyright owner--probably not Afroman, in this case--probably the record company that produced the album the song is on.

Warning: permission to quote lyrics usually costs piles of money.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Warning: permission to quote lyrics usually costs piles of money.

Well, if it's an issue of volume I can offer plenty of pennies

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, IB. You should write for Bob & Tom.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Actually, I can't take credit. On Ray Garton's Facebook updates, he throws these out there. But they are amusing, huh--especially for a horror writer?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Parody, on the other hand, is considered protected free speech and not subject to fees or royalties...leastwise as the written word goes.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ray Garton 's little known fact of the day: In the state of Nevada, it is illegal for non-magicians to say, "Tah-dah!"
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 01, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Chocolate is addicting.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ray Garton 's little known fact of the day: In addition to his famous violins, Stradivarius also made salad tongs.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Two random thoughts about violins:

Somebody once told me the shellacking that goes on a violin absolutely ruins the sound they make.

On the other hand, I once read that the secret of the Stradavarius violin is in the wood---the wood Stradavari (?) made them out of was already aged couple of centuries when he made them. (What kind of wood? I don't remember.) How serious to take that one, I don't know...I don't know if anybody's submitted the wood to carbon dating.

It's all a moot point to me...I can't play the violin. I can play the guitar, any regular brass instrument but French horn, the harmonica, the recorder, the kazoo...but not the violin.

Zero
Member # 3619

Yeah, last I heard we can't figure out what made them so good. Someone asked an interesting question, though. He said: "Are they performing different now than the days they were first made?" Could it be that time has somehow improved them and we can't recreate that effect in such a short time period.

Maybe, maybe not. But whatever the secret is it blows my mind that we can create nanotechnology-kind-of-stuff and not figure out how to make a violin like these.

Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
as a musician, I can honestly tell you that a newer instrument will never sound as good as one you have been playing for years.

something about breaking them in...

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.