Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 47)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Schmëerskåhøvên!

20 points for anyone who guesses the reference. (It's a song I've had in my head for days now.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I tracked it down, but since I cheated to find the answer, I'll pass on revealing the answer, and let somebody who really knows have a shot. (I thought it was something else, actually.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I mowed the lawn, weedwhacking as well, a two-hour job...and, since then, I think I've been running a mild fever. I'm sitting here typing and, man, I'm a ball of sweat.

Also there's an impending thunderstom, and the power has been flickering on and off---I'm glad I discovered backup battery power---but I'd better conclude, go take my temperature, and then get some rest...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it rained here. First time this summer.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love the rain, especially when it cools down a hot day.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
The rain was nice. It almost got down to 100. A week or so ago it even went into the 90's. You never know how cool 96 feels until you've lived a month or so at 115. Of course with the rain now we have humidity.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My glasses fog up when it's humid or raining or whatever...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Okay, three days, and nobody posted the answer...I Googled it, and, near as I can tell, it's from an episode of "Pinky and the Brain." Am I right?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it was a dance that made you dumber each time you did it.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a writing challenge... A short story about how Pinky & the Brain actually succeed in taking over the world!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

lol, a dance that makes you dumber. That is a good one. I suspect that after a certain number of times, you would become so dumb that you would forget how to do the dance. So in theory, there is a finite number of times a person (or mouse) could do the dance before they are too dumb to be able to do it.

I wonder if there is a formula for that....

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I wonder what would happen if you introduced it into a Dance Marathon...
satate
Member # 8082

Is it possible for this topic to be too long? I mean how many pages can one topic hold or will it go on infinetly?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
OOOHHHHH... that's how Pinky and the Brain could do it... they could trick everybody into doing a dance marathon... and then, and then...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, it seemed like a good idea a year and a half ago...now, most of the time, I can't even remember what I said between then and now.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It started with something about Sheena's hamster feet smelling like her hair gel.

Which begs the question...what is Sheena's nose doing so close to her hamsters feet anyway?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the smell of hamster feet in the morning.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing against hamsters, but I prefer mice. I share my Eggos with three of them every morning.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I wasn't saying anything negative about the topic. I think it's rather fun. I was just randomly musing about how a big a topic can get.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats make nice pets, as long as you can sleep through perpetual gnawing noises, don't mind tiny razor-like toes, and are not afraid of a creature whose ancestors destroyed entire human communities. To tell the truth, I adored the pet rats in my childhood. I can't imagine hamsters or mice are as smart or loyal to their playmates.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I suppose we can carry on, or we can misquote Apocalypse Now.

Speaking of which, whatever happened with the movie quote thread?

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great idea, Robert. I think I'll start a "hamster misquote" thread.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Mice are pretty smart and interactive. That's one of the reasons I like them. There are a couple of reasons I have not gotten a rat and both are quite practical.

One: I like to give my critters a lot of freedom and I think if I had something as large as a rat I would be wanting to give it free run of the apartment, at least when I was home. But with a roommate and lots of electronics wires to get chewed, that's not a good option. My mice not only have a cage with a bunch of tubing to crawl around in, I've also built a plexi-glass playground in front of their cage - the two take up the width of the coffee table. And I have a portcullis in the playground wall so they can run all over the coffee table when I'm around. They also get to play on the couch or my computer desk when I'm there. So to me, rats would need even more space. (Please note: the plexiglass playground is not that extraordinary when you consider that I work in a frame shop and have access to all that stuff and the tools. I'm not totally mouse-crazy.)

Two: I like to travel and I try to take a big trip every 2-3 years. I've chosen not to get long-lived animals because I don't want to abandon them to others' care for six to eight weeks at a time. I actually chose mice so that I could have several at a time (females) for the duration between trips.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Never had a hamster...come to think of it, I never had anything other than a cat and sometimes a dog.

Come to think of that, strictly speaking, I never had a pet of my own...all the cats and dogs in my family belonged to the family. Though I was responsible for acquiring some of the cats, they were all collectively ours. Since I've been living in my own place, I haven't had a pet live with me for any length of time.

satate
Member # 8082

I had two hamster when I was in middle school. They lived in my cold dark room (it was cold to me, I was living in phoenix AZ). One Saturday I thought they would apreciate time outside to see the sun and feel the warmth. I left them outside in their plastic cage for three hours in direct sunlight and when I came back they were both dead. My mom said I was never allowed to have a hamster again. In my defense I really had no idea that the sun would kill them.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Last night I had a New Historicist nightmare, I'm so glad this class will be over in a week. Now I just have to remember to write that paper so I don't have to take the blasted class again.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Last afternoon I was up till just after three PM---when you have to get up at eight PM that's too late to go to bed. I was rereading Niven and Pournelle's Escape from Hell...so, naturally, when I did get to sleep, I was wandering around the Inferno and running into various characters from The Series of my Internet Fan Fiction period.

I can't even write that one up and send it out as a fanfic---they kinda made a videogame of the concept, something I didn't remember until I woke up. It's been done. Ah, well...maybe I'll reload the thing on my computer and give it another spin. (I can see the box it came in from here---now what in Hell did I do with the disk?)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I did put the game on my computer, and did play it awhile---it brought back a lot of memories---then I got an error message and was cut off and out---and then the disk wouldn't eject. I tried prying it open, but couldn't get a good grip on it.

This morning, though, the disk holder ejected without any problems. Go figure.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Boo
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm going to Wahoo's to get some Linner. Care to join me?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Knock Knock.
jayazman
Member # 2818

Who's there?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Time Traveling Ghost.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Time Travelling Ghost who?
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Th problem with time travelers is that they are never there when you need them.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think the intellectual level of these boards has reached a new low...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Thank you. *Takes a bow.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Oh no! You mean I've missed the limbo contest?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

This morning on Fox News I saw one of their reporters and a well-known entertainer eating deep-fried butter on a stick. Ew.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm. Butter!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

If I run fast enough I can get across the street and back before the light changes.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah, but can you make it there and back before a car decides to move from one side of the red light to the other?
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I was just watching Meet the Press, like I do just about every Sunday morning, and saw something that I have never noticed before:

John Williams (the composer of themes for Star Wars, E.T., Superman, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, etc.) also wrote the theme to Meet the Press (and apparently NBC Nightly News).

I haven't been so surprised since learning that Paul Shaffer, from David Letterman fame, wrote "It's Raining Men" and that he is heterosexual.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord, this thing goes on forever!!!

I've stopped at Level 7 (seventh page) just to catch my breath! I just noticed it today and thought, oh, I could read it all in one sitting. NOT! I'll have to come back tomorrow after I feed my pet shark.

So why is a raven like a writing desk?

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

A raven is like a writing desk because the Mad Hatter said so.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I thought it was because Poe wrote on both.
satate
Member # 8082

You have a shark PB and Jenny?
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Not any more. It died while I was reading all these great posts!
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was going to say something here about the volume of posts, but, instead, I decided to add a "hamster" to it and put it in the Misquotes thread...
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It amazes me how so many get-rich-for-nothing scams continuely hit my spam box. Would have thought they exhausted the greed-over-intelligence crowd by now.
The one I got this morning is the ballsiest one yet. Check it out...

quote:
...This is to bring to your notice
that we are delegated from the UNITED NATIONS in Central Bank in conjuction with
the WORLD BANK GROUP OF THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA to pay you victims of scam
$500,000 USD (Five Hundred Thousand Dollars). You are listed and approved for
this payment as one of the
scammed victims to be paid this amount, get back to this office as soon as
possible for the immediate payments of your $500,000 USD compensations funds...

The email to claim your funds is to a fight_crime.(whatever the guys name is).org

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited August 18, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.