Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 56)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
My apartment in college, now several years ago, overlooked the freeway. At night I could hear the white noise of the traffic.

Had I read this thread back then, I could have went to sleep each night believing I was on luxurious ocean-front property.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
That "technical problem" with Page 55 cropped up again. I could open this one, open the one before, but the other one just waits, and waits, and waits...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
The house I grew up in was less than a mile from the Capitol Beltway. Because there were no sound barrier walls in place back then, we could hear the constant humm of truck tires through our open bedroom windows all night long. I don't think I ever imagined it to be surf, but I sometimes enjoyed it being in the background while drifted off to sleep.

Of course, I lived even closer to the train tracks.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
The melt is on! Three days of above zero weather have yielded soupy sidwalks, air that smells alive with moisture and yes, I did see it today... a patch of grass creeping out from under the snow banks!
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I go to a certain Beach every year, with a group from our church. Highway 1 goes along within walking distance from the hotel, the beach is also within walking distance...in the opposite direction...from the hotel so we get both types of noises, surf and road, to lull us to sleep. They do, at times, sound familiar to each other but not enough to get confused.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hijack the soothing-road thing...I just want to put a query up. Feel free to continue.

Anybody having trouble with the iTunes Store lately? I've been trying to get onto the iTunes Store since last Saturday, but I keep getting a message that it's unavailable at this time. I haven't used it in awhile, since last September, actually, but I can't recall this problem coming up before. And, of course, what I don't know about these things and how they work could fill a manual.

I'd just like to know if anyone else can't get to the iTunes store...that way, at least, I'd know the problem was somewhere at or near my end of it...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
When I've had problems with the i-tunes store, it usually means that I haven't downloaded the latest update - or gone too many without updating. So make sure your software is up to date.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I was there looking around a week or so ago but I didn't buy anything.

It did seem to be a bit slower than normal but that could have been because of the number of people on it. Or other reasons.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Okay...I was pretty sure the problem was on my end. I'll try updating things; it usually prompts me to update and I usually put it off.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The update seemed to work. I got to the iTunes Store---didn't buy anything, but I got there. So far, it has'nt given me any trouble. I'll update my iPod---I've got almost a thousand new songs, er, files waiting to go---and I'll see how things go from there.

Should'a said last time what I'll say now. Thanks.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up rather near I-15, and I never heard it until I tried to film a movie in my backyard. When we went to play the tape the microphone hadn't picked up any of our words. At first we thought it was the wind, except there was no wind that day.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oyitch!
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Robert. Happy to help anyone with iTunes issues, if I can.

Honestly, I hate iTunes and wouldn't touch it if it weren't out of necessity. My boyfriend is legally blind, and they're the only ones that make their Mp3 players talk. (Yes, you can set the nano to speak its menus.) So we're stuck with them. If Zune or Creative would add the talky bit we would jump ship in a heartbeat.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Etherton. I'm up in Thompson. It's still cold here. I'll wave to you when I drive pass Winnepeg on my way to the states.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Kreegah! Bundolo!
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oyitch!

Well then scratch it and spare us the narration.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ni!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Unga bunga bunga inga binga binga bung-a!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Was someone singing there?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Bugs Bunny to "Nature Boy," Bushy Hare. You guys haven't seen it?
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard the latest adventures in scifi podcast. Hatrack's Dark Warrior (Donavan Darius - I'm assuming there's only one) is mentioned in it with a comment that his name sounds like a great scifi name. So true. Love it!
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
You were in Thompson snapper? Wow, your job sure takes you everywhere!
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Is it wrong that I enjoy having a fever because of the freaky dreams it produces?
genevive42
Member # 8714

Just finished my taxes! Yeah Turbo Tax! Less than an hour for both and like $31. Money well spent - it was so easy. No this isn't a commercial, just relief. I'm not usually a last minute person on taxes. This year just got away from me.
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
You know genevieve, this tax filing thingy and all the dust kicks up every year (people being late and whatnot) makes some us Europeans kinda queasy... well, me at least XD

In Bosnia there's no tax return.

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited April 16, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited April 16, 2011).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Finished mine long ago...already got and cashed my return. (Used to enjoy getting one until I realized they were just handing me my own money back...and not much of that.)

I save my procrastination for my writing.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I save my procrastination for my writing.

Chuckle...but than again I get it.

But we are usually last minute. My wife does our taxes. She knows more than I do since she is data transcriber for them. But this year we went on an emotional roller-coaster ride. First we owed 2,000 plus to the US government than it came down to hundred and so next we owed 6,000 to the state. I know they secretly raised our taxes, and they need money to keep from going bankrupt or whatever a state goes, but that is ridiculess, we didn't make that much more money in '10. Turned out it was the wrong tax book. We get back four hundred and some.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Move to Florida. Come for the climate...stay for the lack of state taxes.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Since it's almost the end of tax time one more comment about the cross dressing Statue of Liberties.... actually two comments.

A few weeks ago I saw one guy who must have refused the dress. He wore the Uncle Sam pants but he may have lasted only a day.

And I noticed that, even when its a girl in the outfit, most of them having been wearing the crown upside down. The other day I saw one girl with it right. I thought about stopping and saying, " hey, you got it right."

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Friday last (April 15th, the "traditional" tax day---this year 'cause of the weekend it's today, April 18th), the "Statue of Liberty" tax place I go by had two of 'em out there dancing around. Both guys with beards---at a quick glance, which is all I get, they looked like identical twins.

Speaking of the Statue of Liberty, did you see the current Statue of Liberty stamp from the USPS? The picture's not of the famous one, in New York...it's a picture of the replica one, in Vegas.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The other day I saw one in gorilla outfit, and I thought, gorillas aren't even native to America! Then I thought, hey, I have a gorilla outfit. I was somewhat close to putting it on and running out with a sign that said, "Pay your taxes with bananas." Then I though, wow, how long has that light been green.
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
It's currently snowing where I live. I thought it was supposed to be spring.
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I live, snow is part of spring, it just doesn't stick around very long (the way snow does in winter).
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's Friday, April 22nd, and the Statue of Liberty guys have now deserted their posts...however, I did pass someone waving a "We Buy Gold" sign around...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

People were talking about that fireworks song a while back, well BYU's comedy troupe has done a Harry Potter parody of it that I just love.

http://youtu.be/ySN8Q4U6wys

And if you look closely there is a part with a Liger in it.

genevive42
Member # 8714

not......enough...................sleep
snapper
Member # 7299

What it would be like if the Earth had rings like Saturns.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It kinda does, already. The debris field from space launches is getting quite dangerous for space travelers...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Somebody at work keeps snatching Sharpie pens I bring in---I bring in a package and open it to get one out, then, suddenly, they're all gone, package and all.

The last time I had to deal with this was in grade school---so I'm doing what I did then: getting some personalized Sharpie pens made up with "Personal Property: Robert Nowall" written on them. We'll see in whose hands they turn up next.

(They're a bunch of petty thieves 'round there---they put a lock on the first-aid kit because people helped themselves to supplies, and more recently, put a lock on the supervisor office door because they complained about someone stealing their prescription drugs. Meanwhile, we the workers can't lay our hands on the supplies we actually need to do our jobs---like Sharpie pens.)

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
And I hate the people the eat other people's lunches from the work refrigerators. That has happened to me so many times. It always seems to be when I am the most hungry and have no money to get something else.

[This message has been edited by EVOC (edited April 28, 2011).]

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever had someone stare off into space while you're trying to tell them something important. God I hate that!
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Evoc,

Have you ever caught the perpetrator red-handed? I had a case when the food-thief vehemently denied it though it was pretty obvious that he was sifting through other people's grub.

The nerve.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Cool link, snapper.

Okay -- stealing lunches? That actually happens?

We have community refrigerators at work and it would be easy to do, but I am not aware of any incidents like that. I guess it depends on where you work.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I can't say my lunch has ever been gotten into, but I know it's happened with the brownbagging set. (I bring a giant lunchbox / cooler.)

There's a simple cure...stock your lunches with tuna sandwiches...heavy with the mayonnaise...left out for several nights...under a heat lamp...

snapper
Member # 7299

I knew a guy that would eat other peoples lunches. Oddly, mostly because of his likable nature, we found it cute. Kind of like watching wildlife rummaging through a friends lunchbox.

He apparently always had that issue. When he worked at a factory one guy baked brownies with exlax to teach him a lesson.

That would be one way for you to discover who the perpetrator is EVOC. Another way is to put a slice of very hot pepper in a sandwich, just cover in peanut butter so the scent doesn't tip them off or the flavor doesn't seep into the sandwich. You'll want the person to absorb the entire effect.

Of course, I would recommend a note on the fridge or your lunch asking them to stop first.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 01, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

snapper, EVOC and others.

I have heard of other people using that method, it seems to be the acceptable method now. But I read of one guy who did that with brownies, later he happened to see his boss bunching on the brownies.

I would try the note first and see if anyone else would want to sign it. If the note is ignored then go to the next step.

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was going to write a Fictional Work where the US found and killed Osama Bin Laden.

I supposed I will have to make it Non-Fiction now.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Brown Chicken Brown Cow! (It's a song)
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

You could always put a laxative in your food and see who runs to the bathroom first
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Always a problem with current-events SF---dates too fast. Remember all those stories about the first moon landing?
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.