Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 74)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
And that's when she finally thought of a name for her baby. "I shall name him Meat Baby."
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be the opening for a Mid Grade book.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I had a dream recently. I think it was dystrophia adventure. Anyway, it was a bit of life after some world wide disaster. I belonged to a small group that found and joined a larger group--that was where the dream began. Somehow not revealed in the dream all of us new people had a tiny electronic device inserted in us. When we got out of hand the device would cause great pain. A woman comes along and the narrator--I seem to be back out of the action and just viewing it--says that her brain is formed differently and therefore is more open to the device. But instead of causing her even more pain she can control the device and can cause more pain in others. She activates it and everyone starts screaming in pain...a schematic map is shown which reveals that not only is that small group of new people effected but everyone with that device in California-where the action takes place-and everyone with that device in at least three states over are screaming in pain. End of dream.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
stressed much? =P
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
I had a dream recently. I think it was dystrophia adventure.

How did the dream make you feel?

With the "Barry White" dream, I woke up chuckling (it goes on to deal with the Barry's exorcism credentials).

With the "Meat Baby" dream, the sensation was horror -- it was uncanny. I think that's because it's kind of a magical realist premise: that treating her plants like babies endowed them with some of the properties of actual babies.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I woke up confused I think, maybe a touch of sadness for those that were trapped in that group but it took only about two seconds to turn to confusion. Like where did that dream come from

Oh, And I saw my first Stature of Liberty today. She or he was bent over which I turned a corner so I can't say if it was crossed dressing or not.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Spotted two Statues of Liberty this morning...probably others around but I didn't go by their offices. It's really something to see them out there, bopping to what's left of their brains...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've seen only a couple. One place most have gone out of business for no one is at that corner.

The guy with the electric guitar is gone this year.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
And that's when she finally thought of a name for her baby. "I shall name him Meat Baby."

BWAHAHAHAHA! This made my whole day and I don't know why or what it means...What does it mean!

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I had another "literary dream" last night in which I dreamed a story setup. This one is about a young, can-do mayor with an unusual problem on his hands.

AIDE: We've got to do something about that poltergeist in the municipal sewage treatment plant.

MAYOR: Well, I've got a cousin in the fire department we could call.

AIDE: What can he do?

MAYOR: Well, for one thing he can sing. Soul music, believe it or not. Some people call him "the Irish Barry White."

AIDE: So what's his name?

MAYOR: Barry White.

Ha. You people are funny... Write this crap down, this is a blockbuster in the making. They need to have dream recorders for your brain when you're sleeping. Like in the future. This is a thing they should have.

I would buy one.

And they should make them water proof so you could wear it in the shower and save those great ideas that don't hold on until you've reached a computer.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor, heal thyself. [Wink]

Just when I hoped to have the next three days to relax and finish up a couple writing projects, my brother, nephew, and I all came down with that horrible cold that's making the rounds.
How frustrating to lose good writing time to illness.

Btw, one of my self-mocking fears is that I will one day become a beloved author!
...posthumously. [Wink]

As the old Yiddish saying goes: "Man plans, G-d laughs."

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that, getting over it right now. I was out in early January with some sort of severe stomach upset...then last week I, too, caught the cold that's been going around---along with a dozen or so people at work at the same time. Missed work---in fact, had to leave work, both times---and spent several days just lying around at home.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good health wishes to you all.

I remember years ago when I suffered from pneumonia that I was too weak to read fiction.

So rest up and take care of yourselves.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Thank you, Kathleen.

I'm finally coming out of three days of the worst viral cold/flu I can remember, and I'm beginning to feel more like myself...except for this nasty hankering for brains. [Smile]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Brains? Really? Trying to remember if I've ever heard whether they're kosher or not.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A search engine query turned up the answer that if the animal is kosher and it's killed kosher, then its brains are kosher. If anybody knows more---I sure don't---please enlighten us.
History
Member # 9213

The tsouris (tr: misery/trouble/woe) plaguing a Jewish zombie striving to keep kosher.

There's a story there somewhere...albeit only a flash. [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

tesknota
Member # 10041

Two bits of grist for the mill:

1. I finally gave in to the twitter craze and created an account. I immediately proceeded to follow my favorite authors.
Surprising Fact: the reason it takes them so long to write books is because they have real lives outside of writing(???).

2. Where's that Jewish zombie story.

Does anyone here maintain a twitter? If so, I'm @SolunaBirds.

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I'm @KatDWoodbury, but I don't tweet much, and if I do, it's set up so what I tweet goes to my Facebook status (I do it that way because it kills two birds with one stone, so to speak--my Facebook status posts tend to be tweet-sized, so why not?).

I mainly use Twitter for news.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I don't tweet at all even though if I ever got a fan base, even a tiny one for some of my Indie projects, I might.

Anyway,

I agree with tesknota where is that story Dr Bob? [Smile]

You have done a couple of flash stories, which means you could do one more. [Wink]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And speaking of the Statue of Liberty---even though it has been whole.

I have seen more. I drove through a different area of town and saw two the other day. And today I say Uncle Sam for Liberty taxes. Haven't seen one for a year or three. Wonder if the guy refused to put on the dress.

And there has been a bird--crow-raven or ? out with a Uncle Sam hat on for a different tax service.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Not me. I don't tweet or do Facebook. It seems like something of a waste of time to me, and I have better things to do. Don't go by that: up till I got a computer I might have said the same thing about the Internet.

Last Friday, one of the places had two Statue of Liberties (Statues of Liberty?) out on the street---one male, one female, or at least they looked that way when I passed by. Plus another one at another location. I know of a third location but don't drive by there regularly. They're everywhere.

tesknota
Member # 10041

Yeah, I'm basically using Twitter for news at the moment. I'm trying to do something creative with it, like write ministories or something. =)

I have not seen any statues of liberties anywhere. Maybe it's where I live? I once saw a bunch in California during a road trip.

Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever noticed that geese get easily bored? No? Just me, then.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh, I see other people advertizers out on the streets all the time. There's this guy (or maybe girl) on one streetcorner who dances around with a WE BUY GOLD sign. There's this guy (definitely) with a multicolored top hat advertizing a breakfast menu at a restaurant. They're the regulars on my regular routes; I see others when I go elsewhere than the usual places.

(Couldn't decide whether "advertizing" should be spelled with an "s" or a "z." I hate it when this kind of spelling problem grips me. No spell check here, which'd help me catch it.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by tesknota:
Yeah, I'm basically using Twitter for news at the moment. I'm trying to do something creative with it, like write ministories or something. =)

There are twitter story magazines, a couple pay some nice money for such short stories. If they still exist that is, I haven't checked recently. A year or so ago I wrote a few stories that were rejected they few magazines I tried.

I have played around with the thought of doing an E-anthology with nothing but those stories and few others I wrote around 200 words long.

Or do a magazine type thing with sending out those ministories to cell phones but twitter would good for that. Oh there was a flash story market about three or four years ago that people could subscribe to and have stories sent to their cell phone any time they were bored. It lasted about two years.

Probably more info than you expected from your comment there. [Smile]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Smiley:
Has anyone ever noticed that geese get easily bored? No? Just me, then.

We have geese around here. There weren't native to the area but maybe ten, twelve years ago some just decided to settle here. I've never watched them long enough to see how long it takes them to get bored but they do fly all over the place--back and forth--so maybe that is why.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Oh, I see other people advertizers out on the streets all the time. There's this guy (or maybe girl) on one streetcorner who dances around with a WE BUY GOLD sign. There's this guy (definitely) with a multicolored top hat advertizing a breakfast menu at a restaurant. They're the regulars on my regular routes; I see others when I go elsewhere than the usual places.

(Couldn't decide whether "advertizing" should be spelled with an "s" or a "z." I hate it when this kind of spelling problem grips me. No spell check here, which'd help me catch it.)

We have had a couple of good dancers out for a while but they disappear after a while. One guy danced for a pizza chain. The guy was overweight but he still had some good moves. He disappeared for a while but I saw him a couple of weeks ago. Another guy played the electric guitar on one very busy corner for years but I haven't seen him in a few months. Funny thing about him he may have been an ex-rock DJ. Three ex DJs from a long time Rock station are now talk show hosts, one day one was talking a reunion they had for that station and he mentioned Guitar man and how they all knew him. By the context I assumed he meant the guy on the corner. Maybe he finally got another DJ gig.

Oh he carried a small speaker hooked onto his waist and had a long cord that looked to lead to a business, probably the one he worked for. Seems like at one time he had what looked like a battery pack too but I know I saw the cord a couple of times.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

So I had a story in at Analog. It was a longer story, and I was offering it up for them to publish as a serial. One of those "this is a wild long shot, but I might as well give it a shot" deals.

In their online submission system, my story got "closed" and the status changed to "accepted." Surely this can't mean they want to buy my story, I think. It was such a shot in the dark. But what else is that supposed to mean? I haven't received any correspondence from them, though, so I don't know what to make of it.

Check my spam box. There's a rejection letter from Analog for that story. Universe, why are you so cruel? We struggling aspiring writers have feelings, you know.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Have you double checked the status?

I asked over on the WotF forum to see if there were any other comments Trevor puts up but so far it seems to be that accepted means accepted.

If you haven't already maybe you should check the status again and if it hasn't changed send an E-mail to double check.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Speak of the devil...last June (the 25th, actually), I sent a story in to Analog in the traditional manner---printed out, manila envelope, SASE---and have yet to hear back from them. Bothers me, 'cause (1) it leaves an "open" that should be "closed," (2) I don't know whether they're just holding onto it or it's lost somewhere in the mail (and I know how things get lost in the mail), (3) this kind of delay is something I might expect from a lesser magazine, (4) is this a harbinger of the future with the new editor at the magazine, or maybe a change of submission policies, and (5) I've gotten a couple of queries about maybe putting something new on my website, but I was waiting for this one to come back before doing anything about it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Speak of the devil...last June (the 25th, actually), I sent a story in to Analog in the traditional manner---printed out, manila envelope, SASE---and have yet to hear back from them. Bothers me, 'cause (1) it leaves an "open" that should be "closed," (2) I don't know whether they're just holding onto it or it's lost somewhere in the mail (and I know how things get lost in the mail), (3) this kind of delay is something I might expect from a lesser magazine, (4) is this a harbinger of the future with the new editor at the magazine, or maybe a change of submission policies, and (5) I've gotten a couple of queries about maybe putting something new on my website, but I was waiting for this one to come back before doing anything about it.

They are spending a long time going through the stories they receive. I mean upwards of 200 days. One person who knows a little of what is going on stated that Trevor and his team have other things to do can only spend a small amount of time on the stories. Supposedly the period of time was suppose to decrease as they got used their schedules under Trevor and I think it did for a while but now it seems to be back up to where it was at the beginning.

You're right not good. Asimov's started taking longer too but not as long. I wonder if the parent company that owns both has given the editors a ton more responsibilities.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah! I must not be plugged into the right SF gossip circuit, 'cause I hadn't heard of delays at Analog and Asimov's. I'd just had a story at Asimov's right before---the same story---which was bounced in seven weeks, about par for them.

Not good at all.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Also I sent it out before the last postal rate increase...probably it'll be okay, 'cause I stuck a Priority Mail stamp on it, but others might not be so lucky...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh I should have said this earlier.

I said that some stories have taken 200+ days to get a response but some have taken just 160 or so. I have had one there now some where around 120 days.

And I found this out in a discussion over on the WotF forums.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Why are Girl Scout cookies always sold on the other side of the street or some place that takes an extra two turns to get back to the right direction?

Well, almost--I found two places I could get to easy to buy some today.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, Analog finally coughed up my story---it was in my P. O. Box when I stopped by this morning. I calculate it was gone two hundred and fifty-seven days.

Nothing other than the undated form rejection slip that tells me nothing, not about why it was rejected, or even why they held onto it so long. The envelope wasn't even postmarked.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If you mean a snail mail box than it could have gotten mislaid for awhile but there are two on the WotF forums who have had theirs in for very long time, one sent in to queries it sounded like.

Mine though took about 130 to 150--I would need to recount the days to be sure.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've had a P. O. Box for almost thirty years---technically the same one, though a remodeling a few years ago replaced the original and moved it to another part of the building.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I note in passing that the streetcorner Statues of Liberty have packed up and gone---Tax Day is past.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sunday night before work, a TV show I watched had a guy singing a Buddy Holly song. On the radio on the way to work, I heard another guy singing another Buddy Holly song. Then the next morning I was listening to my iPod in random rotation and I heard Buddy Holly himself singing a song.

So it's all random coincidence...or maybe Buddy Holly was trying to tell me something from the great beyond...

wetwilly
Member # 1818

The question is, what was he trying to tell you? Which songs were they?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

In order, "Well, All Right," performed by Marty Stuart, "Everyday," performed by James Taylor, and himself performing "You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care)." (The last not even being his song, but Leiber-Stoller, I believe.)

Really, it's too bad we're not in communication. (That's kinda true of everybody who died, actually.) I'd like to ask him what he thought of what came after him and if he was working on anything in the Great Beyond...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Since no one else has said this

Happy Star Wars day

May the Forth be with you.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

May you be fourth, too.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Those rascally agents of the Empire must have gotten into my keyboard, probably using the smallest intelligent life form known in the Known and Unknown universe.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Heard about new word today--it has already made it to the dictionary even though I don't recall ever hearing it before.

Freegan

evidently someone who dumpster dives to eat because they don't want to effect the planet badly or at all.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call that either desperate or tight.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was most amused by the presence of "turducken" on the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary list. The concept amused me ever since I saw it in a "PreTeena" strip.

Can't find a link; seems to have disappeared from the site I saw it on yesterday.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, here's a story: their own press release.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/new-words/2014-update.htm

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.