Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 57)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta share this bit on why Teacher's Drink
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's funny!
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems a good enough place to say---I'll be leaving on my vacation tomorrow morning, Saturday. As usual, I "get away from it all," and "it all" includes my computer and going online. I won't be back till Monday after next, so if anybody wants to say something raw about me, now's the time.

I will probably have time to duck in some time early tomorrow morning, so you might want to hold off till then.

(Well, more raw than the usual...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

My wife had some of her solar powered light stakes..five or six of them... stolen from our front yard a few days ago. Only the stakes even though she has other things out there.

She wants to get a security camera set up and now seriously wants to rent a huge, mean guard dog for a month and I guess chain it out front but hidden. Well, maybe not chain it.

But how she will get the dog to hide, I don't know.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of sign twirlers , I too have seen the cash for gold signs. One day there were four out in a different area. Two, or three, on one major intersection and two more on a not so busy intersection near where I live. They just showed up that one day.

And on what might be the busiest in town there are signs for two different places that pay cash for gold. One signholder though is interesting. He plays an electric guitar, complete with battery pack on his belt and an speaker. He's always on the other side of the street so I can never hear him play though.

Ever now and then on the same corner there's somebody in a costume, I can never figure out what it is suppose to by. Maybe a pack of cigarettes for a discount cig place down the street but I'm not sure of even that.

But the other day I spotted someone new on another street. This guy was a new take on the old stereotype of the guy in the robe holding a sign that said the world will end-sometimes on a certain date. This guy was on a bike and the sign was hooked onto him. I saw it only for half a second so I could be wrong but it looked like it said the world would end by some date I couldn't make out. He set up the sign all wrong though. It faced the front and acted like a sail catching the wind and causing him all type of problems. He should have had it side ways so the edge would cut into the wind.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I always get a kick out of the guys that advertise for liberty tax or where ever. One guy was really playing a mean air guitar! lol
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Sure could use one of those dancing sign guys at Books and Hooks.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you really rent a dog?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think you can rent a guard dog. Or maybe lease one.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think you can rent a guard dog. Or maybe lease one.

LD, I think you misspelled leash.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, I may need a leash so as not to release the leased dog- so no one can seize our stuff- even if my wife says please enough to wheeze and thinks I'm a tease and makes me quiche.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Someone should definitely open a pet rental business. Then, when your wife absolutely HAS to have a pet kitten, you can just rent one, and then when everybody gets tired of it and it's just an annoying furball you have to feed and clean up after, you can just return it to the rental place.

And it would open up some jobs for pet repomen/repowomen when people don't pay their pet bills.

"Put down the baseball bat and back off, dude! I don't care how much your kid cries about it; the turtle is coming with me!"

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my kid's favorite shows is Phineas and Ferb (alright, I will admit it I love it too.) And this is one of my favorite quotes from the show.

Candace points out some books and gives one line opinions of them based on the cover. When her mom calls her on it she says:

"Mom, that's why books have covers: to judge them."

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Phineas and Ferb is an awesome show.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
and then there's spongebob!
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

And now for something completely different!

Check this out. Actual sizes of popular TV sci-fi spaceships

Some of these things are astounding. I thought the Galactica would have been larger for some reason.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Interesting, except that is a lousy pic of the Andromeda.

Yeah, I would have thought the BG would be closer to the Star Wars Executor Class.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

Very interesting indeed. Where's the Andromeda? I couldn't find it at all on there.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The Andromeda is right below the BG, kinda beside the Cylon base ship.

I mostly liked that show. Even if it did some strange things by sticking everyone on a certain planet one season.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

After talking to the police, my wife decided to nix the idea of a dog but she did find a place that rents guard dogs. Or leases them... or leashes them.

But we are still going to get the Surveillance system.

I still don't know how she thought she could get the dog to hide in the bushes out of sight until someone grabbed something.

And her first thought was to electrify the yard.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

Does anyone else feel like they have the weirdest fricken dreams in the world? As if getting attacked by demons and god and Michael the arch angel saving me wasn't enough...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sometimes I have strange dreams, and sometimes adventure dreams. A very small number I remember enough to want to do stories based on them. Most though I can't recall enough to do a story. But I had an interesting UF dream the other night, more about that on my blog.

The other night had one about spending time in another city on vacation I think. Some made up city. Not much for a SF or Fantasy story but it could go with a general fiction I suppose. I do have three general fiction stories and some day I want to do a, hmm not sure what you call it but some type of strange adventure genria. "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". There's another one I've heard about but can't recall the title but to me it fits in the same category.

Anyway, some of my dreams might fit something like that.

snapper
Member # 7299

@LD

Instead of an expensive surveillance system to catch a pety thief, how about considering a game camera? They're camoflaged and work on a motion sensor. You'll see who and when was in your yard and why they were there. Nothing scares a kid more than getting expossed in front of their parent. Showing mom and dad their angel has devil horns goes a long way on straighten them out.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

It probably would be cheaper but we would need two or three to cover things right.

And my wife assumes its adults doing it.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

In my opinion if I can't visibly see the camera than I would continue doing it...not like I would in the first place.
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
4th time the charm?

Finally. Took me forever to find my password and reset it all. Geez, got some bug that wouldnt let me google on firefox, had to uninstall firefox, lost my preferences, my bookmarks and then reinstall. It took 4 times before I could post here. Enough to make me drink.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited May 16, 2011).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Tiergan I know the feeling. Not here but I've had problems with other sites for various reasons.

And John, my wife wants to prosecute, not convince them from doing it.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I know that, just saying.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I'm back.
snapper
Member # 7299

Welcome back Robert.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Phineas and Ferb, it's so inspiring. I've got a serious case of Squirrels in my Pants. It is a beautiful example of formulaic writing that works. And how they play with their formula.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Yea I have been caught more than once watching Phineas and Ferb when my kids are not around.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

So I am currently sitting in a waiting room and I see a copy of a Readers Digest Condensed Books. This random musing came to mind:

What is a Condensed Book? Do you add a can of water and get the whole book?

Gave my wife a much needed chuckle.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Reader's Digest Condensed Books? Evil! Evil! Evil!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Things I learned while on vacation:

(1) When you buy a Visionwear glass pot far away and try to transport it home, be very careful how you pack it.

(2) Those one-stall-fits-all bathrooms create potential disasters when in use or out of order.

(3) Neil Gaiman thinks it's okay to take forty thousand dollars to speak at a library because he usually gets sixty thousand.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
A long while ago I had a dream that I was Ted Kennedy's granddaughter, who cast of the family fortune to be an artist in a studio apartment on the outskirts of Denver. It was freezing outside, because the landlord wouldn't fix the heater, so I left my studio apartment and walked to a diner.

Inside the waitress(who knew me, because she lost 47 pounds in the spin class that I taught in order to afford painting supplies) gave me a free burger and fries. In walked a rock star, who was performing in Denver, but got in an argument with his band mates so he took a drive to cool off, and then his car broke down on the exact street of the diner I was in, who looked surprisingly a lot like Kevin Jonas, but WAS not Kevin Jonas.

Well, we got to talking, and then went for a walk, and it was that warm orange sky from the streetlights shining in the middle of the night through a gentle snowstorm, and we ended up sitting on a park bench in the middle of a small ice rink which was covered in twinkling lights, which Kevin, I mean... not Kevin, said reminded him of fireflies, and then we both left for our homes.

In my studio apartment, the heat finally started, and I painted a gorgeous picture of being in the middle of fireflies, and the rock star went to his hotel room and wrote a song about fireflies, and then the next day, after I woke up(in real life) I heard Owl City's song Fireflies for the first time.

True story.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best

Henry Van Dyke

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Every time I have a dream that amounts to, more or less, "My God, that toilet is filthy!" when I wake up, I, er, "have to go."
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

shimiqua

I have some dreams kinda along those lines. But one I had a few years ago had Harry Dresden, of Jim Butcher fame, doing some stuff like shrinking to about one inch tall, maybe three, so he could go after some mini trolls or something that lived under a house. The unique thing about it was in the dream I was watching part of it on TV. A few months later I heard they did make a TV show about him...it turned out to be sort of about him.

Robert, I dream about having to find a bathroom and I can't or it's out of order or filled.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I wish there was a turbo button for the internet like there is for a lot of games haha
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
My weirdest dream--have I mentioned this before?--involved a certain famous author who was secretly Batman but living in a castle as a tyrannical lord. He told me I was his Robin, but when I discovered his desire to harm his own people, I set off across his marshy lands in search of Aang the Avatar. Along the way, I met Katara, who taught me to waterbend and joined me in my travels. We found Aang in a desert, voluntarily living in a prison, but before I could ask for his help, we noticed tornadoes twisting the dim air and desert sand on their way toward us. Aang proclaimed that he would must first save the prisoners. That's when I left the dream world.

I avoided TV shows and a certain author's stories for a week after that. The trouble with dreams are the random relationships.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

aspirit, I've read stories sort of like that. You should write it out. It might be some form of cyberpunk, or whatever the fantasy version is, but some of those stories are... entertaining.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
To me this plane of existence is like a dream. My dreams are super real.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

well, it's said that dreams are signals, each and everyone means something
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What did I dream last night? Oh, yeah...I was at some unknown school I was attending...I was playing catch with a couple of seven-foot-tall basketball player (and I was seven-foot-tall, too), but none of us could throw the baseball (yes, baseball) with any particular accuracy...I got fed up and packed up my stuff and left the game and the school...then I got busted for taking some small item with me...the item, a red mailbox, was mine but they said it was theirs...at first it was all a matter of academics and school discipline...then it turned into a courtroom drama...then I was at the tail end of a two-year sentence, just out and eager for revenge against the school...then I woke up.

What does it mean? I want to be seven feet tall? I'm still obsessed with school? I feel guilty about school? Does the mailbox have any inner meaning related to my postal worker job?

Well, who knows? I sure don't. I subscribe to the notion that dreams don't mean anything unless you want them to, and, in general, are just your mind resting and not firing on all its cylinders. Probably everything above involves something I've seen, read about, heard about, or thought about in the last few weeks...

wetwilly
Member # 1818

The night I first watched Inception, I had a 3-layer dream. All of the layers were just boring, mundane activities. In one layer I was just driving around Columbus (where I live) aimlessly, then in the next layer down I was grocery shopping. I can't remember what the third layer was. Once I woke up out of the dream layers into reality, I thought, "Good job, brain. That was the most boring night of sleep I've ever had."
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The night I first watched Inception, I had a 3-layer dream. All of the layers were just boring, mundane activities. In one layer I was just driving around Columbus (where I live) aimlessly, then in the next layer down I was grocery shopping. I can't remember what the third layer was. Once I woke up out of the dream layers into reality, I thought, "Good job, brain. That was the most boring night of sleep I've ever had."

Columbus, Ohio? Go Buckeyes!!!

I grew up in Dayton. Half my family went to OSU.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I dreamed a new episode of Monk. I think it would have been called "Monk and the Buried Treasure". It had something to do with Trudy and a clue that some murderer burried only to have someone else steal it and bury a decoy in its place.

I love Monk. My wife and I have almost finished the series. It will be sad when I run out of episodes.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's what they call lucid dreaming, where you consciously take over the dream and can do whatever you want. Sounds promising, and I'm told you can train your brain to acquire it by putting an effort to recall and study your dreams, but I've only had two in my lifetime.
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I constantly have lucid dreams and I never trained myself...that I know of.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.