Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 59)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats, They took Thor off. All I needed was three more days to see it. It looked like it was going to make it until the last moment.

They did that to me last year. Took off two movies in the middle of the week, all I needed was two days then.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
"Saw HANNA last night (finally--after reading OSC's review a few weeks ago), and was very impressed by it. If someone had told me that a violent adventure film could be so cleverly integrated with an artistic style, I might have scoffed. Now I know different."

Check out "Man on Fire."

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to see Cars 2 sometime in the next week...but, from what I've heard, well...I liked the NASCAR stuff, and the Route 66 stuff...but, near as I can gather, neither is present this time around.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm hoping to see Cars 2 sometime in the next week...but, from what I've heard, well...I liked the NASCAR stuff, and the Route 66 stuff...but, near as I can gather, neither is present this time around.

I took my two older boys to see it yesterday for my middle child's 4th birthday.

If you are going in expecting NASCAR and Route 66 you will be disappointed in it. However, if you are going into it for a fun movie, you will enjoy it. I won't spoil it for anyone.

It is worth checking out at the Theaters.

After all it is Pixar, even their worst movies are good.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Me and my wife are going to see Green Lantern next in two weeks, more than likely it will still be playing. She may want to see X-Men: First Class.

As to Cars2 I wouldn't mind seeing it even though I haven't seen the whole first one yet. Evidently him and the tow truck go to Europe and get involved with spies.

HANNA I looked over but decided it wasn't my type of movie but I will take a second look.

Super 8 might be interesting.

Been waiting for Captain America but that's later. From the previews though I have problem with it already. His outfit doesn't fit right. It looks a touch too big for him instead of being skin tight.

Aliens vs Cowboys might be good despite the title.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. When it comes to Pixar, you can always count on it being at least worth watching, and usually a great movie.

We'll have to see about Cars 2. Sequels can be hit and miss, often with a lot more miss, but Pixar's got a good track record there too.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been having fun with my new Color Nook. Think I'll test it and see if I can download the stories for the trigger challenge snapper cooked up. Supposedly once I plug it into my desk computer, it will be considered a external hard drive which means it will be easy to transfer the file but we shall see if I can open the file on the Nook. May have to get the Office app for that.

But it's fun playing around with a new electronic toy. I usually don't get to spend that type of money on myself. I had to stop before I could figure it all out so I can write or that is procrastinate further by posting these posts.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so terribly behind where it comes to movies. So behind that many of them are already popping up on netflix instant. My trouble is when I have time to go see a movie I usually don't feel like going anywhere. That, and all the people I usually go to movies with are all moving away. (Also I have a thing in my brain about paying for something that I'm not going to own, even food. I don't want to go to a concert, because tomorrow I'll only have memories, when I buy the CD it will still be there.)

In Cars 2 it's Japan, and it's more of a spy movie. I just get this from the theatres. I didn't like Cars all too much. It was still good, but my mind kept trying to figure out the biology of it. What are you if every piece in you can be replaced? Are the only people who die the ones who can't afford repairs? It drove me nuts. I don't know why I didn't have the same thing with Toy Story where it's similar. I guess I was younger when I already accepted the mythos of living toys. (In fact my first stories were about such.) Also they way the characters are designed they look like all they are are heads on wheels.

I want to see all the marvel films, as I'm a big fan of the characters. From what I've heard of Thor it's my number 1 want to see. The things people are saying make me think they got some subtleties from the mythology right, because the people who tell me things don't know Tyr about it.

I somewhat dread seeing First Class, because it just looks ugly to me. I read the comic books so I know that different artists bring different styles to the characters and world; and that this is a good thing. But I enjoy myself less when I don't like a particular artist.

Now I'm just rambling, why is it that I can't sleep when I'm most tirade.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I hear, Cars 2 may have more in common with the Mater's Tall Tales shorts than the original Cars.\

What worries me is that the last two Pixar movies were so emotionally moving that grown men wept in the theaters...and, with this, from the outside, it looks like a simple action-adventure movie.

Ah, well...the next Pixar movie in the pipeline is called Brave, it's set in the Scottish Highlands, and features a female protagonist...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Cars2 in Japan??? Boy, was I off. Maybe the blurb I read said overseas and I thought that mean Europe.

And what was the other Pixor movie that had grown men weeping? I assume one was the latest Toy Story.

And any one see Super 8? With Abrams and Spielburg it could very well be better than one might assume by the plot.

EVOC
Member # 9381

Cars 2 takes place in Japan, Italy, and London England. Only briefly in Radiator Springs.

I am behind on my movies too, except for the kids ones. This has more to do with my babysitting situation then anything.

I love the movies just as much as I love books. And just like books, I like movies with a good story.

Pyre, I laughed when I read your post about figuring out the biology. It crossed my mind as well, but not until I watched it at home on DVD. Pixar actually put incredible thought into the biology of the Cars, but of course that doesn't make the cut for the movie.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Can y'all imagine anything geekier than these wedding cakes?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can y'all imagine anything geekier than these wedding cakes?

I love it, especially the Futurama and binary cakes! I can only hope in 20+ years when my son meets that special lady, he'll ask for a wedding cake like one of those.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I won't be seeing Cars 2 this week, maybe next week, when we celebrate independence and I have an extra day off. I think I can count on its being in theaters up till then.

This week I'll be rounding up the Blu-Ray version of the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings movies, though I'm informed there's nothing that wasn't on the original DVDs, not even something from The Hobbit...

Yup...geeky, all right. I usually bake my own cakes, though I'm no master of the icing...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, when I saw your post Kathleen I was all prepared to post: Yes I can imagine something geekier than those cakes, these cakes. But then your link turned out to be the same as my link.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The last two days, I've been plagued by a horde of mosquitos. Heavy rains at breeding season peak, I suppose. Others in my family, they mostly leave alone, but me, I guess, they like my taste.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

They like my wife and she seems to be allergic to them.

Oh, we seem to have a lot more around here than we used to. Can't figure out why, we don't have any free standing water, the neighbors pools are kept clean.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited June 28, 2011).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, they are disease carriers...this morning I had a sore throat, and, I'm afraid, from the way I feel, I may be about to be horribly sick...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Around here they have been spreading... I think West Nile virus. Not all of them carry it but enough to be a concern.

It's something that can effect different people differently. Evidently to must it is like a light flu. But to some it can totally wipe them out for a while with extreme exhaustion and other symptoms or worse, and to even fewer it can kill.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I am sick...I feel worse right now than when I called in sick for work last night. A cold, I think...but I had one in February and I shouldn't be due for a year or so...
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Cars 2 and I was disappointed. It was, in my opinion, the worst Pixar movie ever. That said, it was still Pixar, so it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, or even the worst kids movie. But I think I could have waited for netflix on this one.

My kids did sit through it without getting bored.

Anyway thanks for the congrats.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just read a review in a local free paper that said Cars 2 was better than Cars. So I suppose they pleased one person...

I'm still stick, missed another day of work, but feel somewhat better now. So far, this cold hasn't moved down into my lungs, and I hope it stays that way 'cause I'll cough for months if it does...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Robert I have that problem also. But I use Coldease and it helps it not get into my chest. If I do get a cough it usually lasts a lot less with that stuff.

In the past my worse coughing has been at night when it's time to go to bed... whatever time that is.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Usually with a cold with me, it's sleep an hour, toss and turn awhile, sleep another hour, toss and turn awhie, sleep another...well, you get the idea. I usually use Alka Seltzer Cold when the symptoms are at their peak, which helps a little---psychologically if nothing else.

Anyway, I worked last night...you wouldn't believe what a problem they can be about missing a day or two for being sick...just last night I talked with someone who was sick then-and-there and had been denied leave to go home.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

BTW

Happy Fourth.!!!!

For those who live in the US of course

For the rest of you have a good day working, studying or writing.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The rest of the world can have a happy fourth as well.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So far, I have.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And I hope we all have a happy fifth of July tomorrow, and a happy sixth of July after that, and so on and so on.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Didn't mention before that I got and went through the Blu-Ray extended editions of The Lord of the Rings---not during the time I would've been working, I was trying to sleep most of that time---but during the hours where I was still up and around. (Wound up sleeping sixteen hours straight through---or trying to.)

Still the same movie, no extras (unless you count a trailer for a video game), even the Easter Eggs are the same...but the look of it is improved, most of the things that looked back-projected on the DVD look better here (one exception: the Parley at the Black Gate, where they ride up to it, still doesn't look right---it was an add-on to begin with, maybe a shot never properly perfected).

And, when you get down to it, it's still a terrific movie.

My cold lingers, some nose and throat congestion. At least it didn't go down into my lungs again. I didn't go to see Cars 2 this week, holiday or no, so probably next week.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I was hoping that they would get the whole thing on one disc, and thread it together as one movie. (Yes, I know I'm crazy.) I would even accept dvd quality.

In HD I worried that you would be able to see the cloth covering the faces of the wraiths too clearly. (Instead of just darkness.) In the theaters it bothered me.

EVOC
Member # 9381

I hate moving. I just got done moving over this last weekend. But our new home had a perfect view of the Fireworks they conduct over the waterfront out here. So my kids loved it.

Moving, is usually dreaded by me, but this move represented a step to getting back on our feet.

So now I have to add housework and yard work to my list of writing distractions.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've moved three times in my semi-adult life, and hated each time. Now, I've been here more than twenty years. This is it.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, it took a little longer than I thought, but I saw Cars 2 this afternoon...it's no Cars [1] or WALL-E...and it lacked most of the Route 66 / NASCAR stuff, as well as Paul Newman...and Larry the Cable Guy had top billing (and was the star)...but it wasn't bad. I enjoy picking out the oddball details the animators put in, and the movie was loaded with them. (Scenes in Paris self-referenced Ratatouille, for instance.)

However, they set up a mystery, and I figured out the answer to it about a third of the way through---I don't think I was tipped off by reviews, but some detail might've stayed with me. Let's just say I know all about cars that need special tools in order to work on them. This is one curse of being a writer---you spend so much time plotting things that you can see through someone else's plot.

I'll give it a good going-over again when it's out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

(And it had a ten-minute short featuring the main cast of the Toy Story movies, too.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

In looking the thread over for my previous Cars 2 comments, I notice I never answered LDWriter2's question about the other Pixar movie that had grown men weeping. It was Up, the montage section early in the movie, called "Married Life" on the DVD menu, I think...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Yeah, that one got me too.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
How many fans of Dean Wesley Smith's advice for writers have actually read one of his novels?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have. Loved his STNG "Hard Rain".

And there's another Star Trek one I can't think of at the moment.

I should say that are those under DWS he has other pen names some of which I don't know. and there are ghost writings he's done no one will know. However I think I know one of them.

B&N doesn't carry that many under DWS, I've looked. Maybe I should look again though. The first time I looked for OCS they only had a couple-- months later they had ten or so.

Hmm, I could try the search feature on my Nook.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited July 24, 2011).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The other night I had this great urban fantasy dream. Somehow I pissed off this dragon and I had to hide all through my town to get away from him. He nearly destroyed everything. So much fun, not much of a story there though, perhaps a game. (For the record I didn't actually steal the thing he accused me of stealing.)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

a little tweaking and it could be a story.

I had a UF dream not that long ago but that's all I can remember of it.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The thing I'm working on right now did come from a dream...I think I mentioned having the dream a few months ago, here or in some other thread...having the dream and thinking it would make a good story, not the actual details of the dream...
EVOC
Member # 9381

I have story out making the rounds that was inspired by a dream I had, and actually terrified me.

I am currently working on one that came from a random thought I had that turned into a day dream. It is now turning into a story.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I love where stories come from. It's so random.

I wonder if I could turn my current situation into a story. I have an allergy to aloe vera, it gives me a wicked rash. When I was a child I always got the worst sun burns. We thought I had sensitive skin, but it was actually the cream I was putting on after the day in the sun. On Friday I got myself a Strawberry Daiquiri Sobe with lunch, it was on sale so I thought I'd give it a chance. It was tasty, but shortly after I finished it my throat started getting itchy. I gave the bottle a good look and there it was in large letters. I never thought they would put aloe in a drink. Now I have a rash all down my throat.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I had dream the other night about writing, more precise it was about learning to write.

I can't recall what group I was with but they decided to do a couple of skits to teach how to write. I can't recall the first skit except that the leader of the group was in it. I thought he was in the second one too but it turned out to be a girl playing a man. She had her hair down kind alike the leader's. But she also had an eyepatch and I recall thinking she wore it to look more like a man and I wondered what else she may have worn but that was when I woke.

Second time I have dreamt about learning to write but I can remember what was said or taught either time.

Crane
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Crane   Email Crane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Second time I have dreamt about learning to write but I can remember what was said or taught either time.

I'm not a dream analyst, LD, but this seems like an important one. I have read and experienced that language is not the easiest thing for a dream to contain. I wouldn't worry about what was said in the dream so much as what you saw.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Way, way back, I used to dream about books. I'd get them, then start to eat them. Not that it tasted like paper does in real life.

I suppose it had something to do with the importance of books in my life at the time, like books were as important to me as eating. (Also a character in the Gormenghast trilogy did this, ate books, but I'm pretty sure I had the dream before I read that.)

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I've dreamed about reading books before. Usually it was when I was anticipating the release of one. I liked my version of Harry Potter 5 more, Harry learned how to be an animagus.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I'm not a dream analyst, LD, but this seems like an important one. I have read and experienced that language is not the easiest thing for a dream to contain. I wouldn't worry about what was said in the dream so much as what you saw.

Besides, leaving out a n't on can, I wonder what that dream was saying. That one of my favorite guy authors is really a girl. There is Rob Thompson by whose picture Rob is either a nice looking cross dresser or actually a woman. I like her writing even though I decided not to read any more of her books. The reason is a while back on the what you are reading thread and on my blog.

That I should listen to a girl who is pretending to be a guy while teaching writing?

Or the other way maybe I should listen to a guy with long hair and join his group, too bad Butcher cut his hair. Or is there a group that teaches writing by drama presentations? Hmmm, my church has been showing short videos by a certain group who have a rather unique way of getting Biblical teachings across. Lighthearted and serious at the same time. Maybe another group does the same for writing.

But I can't recall anything about the skits.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I wish I could remember the stories I'd written in my dreams, that, in those dreams, got published.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have had one dream about writing. I worked on a flat computer screen built into a desk top. In the dream I could see the part of the story displayed but after I woke I couldn't remember any of it. It might have been Urban Fantasy but I'm not sure of even that.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Does it seem kinda...quiet on the boards this past week?
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.