Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 62)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, snapper. That's way cool.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, KD, LD, and Tiergan.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Coincidence in my life: evidence.

A couple of months back, I turned up these downloads by a group called Big Daddy---I had a couple of their CDs from years ago but their record company just recently put two older albums up on iTunes.

Their records specialize in then-contemporary songs, done up as 1950's style rock-and-roll. (Their last record that I know of was what might be called the "revisionist" version of Sgt. Pepper...but I digress.)

I burned a couple of CDs of 'em to play in my car, and found myself much taken with one called "The Safety Dance." It's raved up in the style of Chubby Checker's "The Twist"---it's a very funny effect for those who know 1950s music---but, for me, the Big Daddy version seems to have a power all its own.

Now, I remembered that there was a song sometime in the mid-1980s called "The Safety Dance," but I couldn't remember who did it or how it went. 1980s popular music wasn't my decade.

Before I could seek it out, I was going through my usual online reading this past Sunday---news sites, then a bunch of comic strips, then here. The old strip Dick Tracy---remember that one?---had a character quote a bit of lyric that I recognized as being from "The Safety Dance."

And so did someone else who wrote a comment, and this someone posted a link to a YouTube video on it---which wouldn't have occurred to me as a place to look, even though it should have. It's by a group that called itself Men Without Hats, and I certainly remembered the song once I heard it.

So you see the role coincidence plays in my life. I wanted to know more about a song I heard...and, thanks to coincidence, I do.

(Would it be too much to say I prefer the Big Daddy version?)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching a lot of Dr. Who recently, so to me coincidences make me paranoid. Recently I've been seeing the Ourobourous symbol all over the place and its been terrifying for me.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read an essay this morning on Eddison's The Worm Ouroborous---Silverberg's column in Asimov's---a coincidence that you brought it up the day before?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been able to watch Dr Who but come to think of it I think I saw him the other day. He lives next door at the moment.

Actually, the guy next door seemed to be dressed in one of the Good Doctor's outfits.

Anyway, so I don't know about the Ourobourous symbol. Should I?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a worm(sometimes snake) eating its own tail.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I've usually seen it as a snake, never seen it as a worm (not saying your wrong, just saying.)

It's a winged snake in Fullmetal Alchemist.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Heinlein featured The Worm Ouroborous as a filip in his story "All You Zombies"---which, come to think of it, I parodied in my Internet Fan Fiction days.

A snake is a worm---as is a dragon---reread your Tolkien.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, more people might be familiar with the "wyrm" spelling.

In the anime Tiger & Bunny, a sword pierces the Ouroboros circle and something is written in the center. TV Tropes describes uses of this symbol in more shows.

Random musing: Though I don't feel like doing it, I'm putting up holiday decorations today. We have a fake tree from a friend--because we can't afford a real one this year--and I'm not sure that any family or friends will visit in the next couple weeks. It's hard to get into the spirit.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

aspirit I can understand why but we had to stop using real trees years ago because of out daughter was allergic to real pine. Not the same reason as you have but the results were the same. I would rather have a real tree but it still looks pretty.

And for the rest of it, sometimes it is hard to get into the spirit of Christmas for various reasons but I find lights are still nice to look at and can remind you of the Light whose birthday we celebrate on Christmas.

As to the snake I've seen it a time or two and I have seen dragons referred to as wyrms. Never as a worm unless someone was insulting the dragon... usually not a safe thing to do. Sometimes dragons have been called snakes however.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Wasted some time today checking out digital SLR cameras. My old SLR(over twenty years old) broke and we have some extra money so I can buy a new one but only on the lower priced cameras. By wasting time I meant my writing time.

Costco had one but they seem to have sold out. That's the third camera they sold out of before I could get to it. Two looked like SLRs but you couldn't change the lenses and they went for $290 and $319 so I'm not sure if they really were. The third one was five something and came with another lens. That price would have been pushing it for us.

Now Walmart seems to have the best deal on a Canon Rebel T3. Comes with only one lens but I still have the ones for the my old SLR if they connection is the same.

As a PS by accident, while looking for a camera bag on Walmart.com, I found a better deal with a T3. I get the camera, a nice bag($70 alone) and a 4GB card for only thirty dollars more than the one at Costco. The T3 at Costco is only one of three cameras that do not come with a card or a bag. Unless they forgot to list the card.

[ December 18, 2011, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I use an Olympus OM1 SLR camera that's thirty years old. And at this point in my life I usually shoot a roll of film whenever I'm on vacation, and another roll around Christmastime. I may dispense with the latter this year.

I figured I'd "go digital" when this one broke.

I do regret that I never bought other lenses for it...some zoom capability would be useful...but, though I could probably hunt up one online with a little work, I'd just as soon upgrade to digital at the same time.

Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Coincidence in my life: evidence.

Before I could seek it out, I was going through my usual online reading this past Sunday---news sites, then a bunch of comic strips, then here. The old strip Dick Tracy---remember that one?---had a character quote a bit of lyric that I recognized as being from "The Safety Dance."

(Would it be too much to say I prefer the Big Daddy version?)

I Haven't heard the Big Daddy version, but when I was stationed in Japan we kind-of made that one of our theme songs. Except we changed Dance to Drink. I think the song makes even more sense that way:

We can drink if we want to
we can leave your friends behind,
if your friend don't drink
well then they don't drink and then their no friends of mine.

That and Alcohol by BNL were popular songs when we barbequed behind the Dorms on base.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"In Heaven, there is no beer / That's why we drink it here / and when we're all gone from here / our friends will be drinking all the beer."
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Small hatrack blackout. It was down what? 24 hours?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
So it wasn't just my computer acting weird then.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The blackout prevented me from wishing everyone here a Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

To me it seemed more then 24 hours. Of course part of that was because the evening before it was Sloooowwww and half the time I tried I gave up before it would come up. All other sites were working normally so I figured it was Hatrack.

And this time while it was down I got an error message.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I might've pestered Kathleen about it, but it was coming up on Christmas, and, in the grand important scheme of things, I figured she had better things to do than to fuss with the boards. Meanwhile, I made do without.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Seems like this should go somewhere else because its about writing but ...

Had an interesting experience today while going over my mini stories. That's what I call a few I wrote with less then 500 words. I found a western, I forgot about, I hadn't finished. Actually this one is a flash not a mini for it comes in at 955 words.

So I finished it, revised it a bit, spell checked it and sent it out. Too late I realized most probably got in too much of a hurry, should have spent more time on nitpicks. I always miss some. I found some while revising it and even added a comma or two but should have gone over twice more at least.

Even though I happened to hit the magazine at the right time, they were in-between different issues. They were taking any genre and they wanted flash.

I had to look up my other western to see what my pen name is for that genre. And I have another western to revise but it's closer to 2,000 words if I recall correctly.

Even my minis are long... [Smile]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

And here's to wish the lot of you a happy and healthy 2012...may you all be literarily productive...
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop kneading my Shoggoth!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Is that a Yiddish word or a Dr. Seuss creature?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Didn't stay up last night even though it would have been less than forty-five minutes. Nothing on TV these days that I would want to watch for that, except 'till the last minutes.

But I woke up at one point and heard horns down the street. The paper ones they sell for New Years, it seemed my wife was awake so I asked her the time. Fifteen after twelve. She said why? I said, I could hear horns. She said and fireworks, and other noise makers. I thought I hadn't heard all that and slipped back asleep.

when I went to the bathroom at around 3:05 I could hear voices from down the street, probably the same distance as the horns.

I wouldn't mind going to a New Year eve party but no drinking, Friday night I heard of one New Years celebration I wouldn't mind going to. But more than likely would have been expensive. A good old fashion costume ball. A fund raiser for a local women's and children emergency home, and it would have taken six weeks to get a costume. Probably some drinking there but not as much as at at other parties.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This morning got in my pick-up and changed the CD. No more Christmas music 'till next year. Gonna miss Mannheim Streamroller and a couple on the Casting Crowns Christmas CD, they do a great job. And just two weeks ago I discovered David Crowder Band Christmas Very powerful Coral of the Bells/Christmas Eve.

But since it was what was in my pick-up put in Petra(Love that guitar work) it's been a few weeks since I listened to my regular stuff. And I found a CD from three months ago still wrapped in plastic... Oops forgot about it.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I let the Christmas songs random-play through the five-thousand-plus songs on my iPod...good songs are good songs whether they're Christmas songs or not.

Shoggoths...how Lovecraftian...

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Tekeli-li!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Now you're being Poe-etic, too...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rolls eyes
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Random is what we're going for, aren't we?
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I get it through Lovecraft more so than Poe.

Now stop tickling my night-gaunt! I don't care who started it!

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Cthulhu fhtagn.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Tentacle.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

God, that hand! The window! The window!
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Wow Cthulhu's wikipedia entry has been truncated big time.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It was probably libelous...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay change of topic. Been meaning to type this out for a month or more.

I may have asked this question a while back, if so though I forget the answer so this could be a rerun for some you older hatrackers.

Anyway:
The internet ad for a certain new soda pop- Sun Drop- reminded me of this because they did a teaser.

A few years ago they had a bunch of ads on TV for a new candy bar that was suppose to show up on a certain date. Around the time of "Major Dad" and "Quantum Leap" .

It never showed up on that date. I sort of, kinda of recall an explanation from someone I knew online, but as I said up above I don't recall it.

I wonder if it's just not here but in other parts of the country or for some reason they decided not to do it at the last moment but wouldn't that open the door for false advertising? As I recall the ads were on quite a few TV shows. A lot of money to spend on nothing.

The candy bar was called Lion.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As to a discussion we had last year about this time.

I saw my first two Statue or Liberties standing on street corners today.

So it's that time of year again.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

There is a Lion candy bar that they have in England...I know this because the grocery store I worked in/shall soon work in again has a small section of British food items, mostly candy, and one of the items is a candy bar called a Lion.

How exactly that bears into the advertising you mention I know not. But, it's probably all part of the conspiracy, and the Mi-Go are probably behind it.

Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Bar

http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Lion-Bar-55g/dp/B000I4MBV4

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Couldn't find it on YouTube, just ads for the UK Lion candy bar.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Could be, even though the dates on Wikipedia do not fit.

Maybe someone sent one English ad to the US by mistake. It was the same one on every channel and every show that ran it.

I can still remember it.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
I'll have to keep my eye out for 'em.

Should'a added that you yourself should take a look on YouTube for it, 'cause you might have a better idea of how to define your search terms...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Thought the boards had gone down again this afternoon when I tried to get on, about 4:15 Eastern, and couldn't. Probably a momentary glitch, somewhere along the way...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And speaking of books, here's an article for the most expensive book- Christian Science Monitor

http://tinyurl.com/83dcj58

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I saw one once, if it's the same edition---displayed in what's called the Samuel F. B. Morse Home in Poughkeepsie, New York, though in my parents's time they knew an eccentric family named Young who lived there. It wasn't open, just boxed up and pointed out to us on the tour. Wonder where it is now?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

By the way, something this morning knocked out all my saved log-on passwords---I had to log in here, and two other sites also---so, this time, I know it's not the boards. More logging-in as necessary.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
"Mommy, Mommy, why are there so many Statue of Liberties on every street corner?"

"They're not the real Statue of Liberty, dear, they're just her helpers."

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Kindly instruct your Shoggoth to remove its pseudopod from my positronic underwear!
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.