Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 75)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrapping up a three-week vacation this morning. I had a blast being off. I went out of town for a couple of days, but was mostly just here. I read more than twenty books---I think work's been holding me back. I wrote most of a short story and even finished revising it Monday---and I have a pretty good idea what idea I'm going to start with on my next story. I accomplished a few tasks around the house, but mostly I just goofed off. Makes retirement something to look forward to.

About the only blotch on things was my health. I'd share details of my experiences, but, as I've always said, one never knows how scatological humor will go over. I'm not looking forward to spending that much time in the bathroom when I retire...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Microwave adventures.

The last day of my vacation, after I posted the above, my microwave oven konked out. At first I thought maybe a fuse...then maybe the outlet went bad...but, no, both were fine. My brother the electrician was near at hand and checked things out too.

So it was on to a new microwave. Happened at the worst possible time---would'a been a snap if it happened at the beginning of my vacation.

I generally prefer a microwave with a grilling element. I thought I'd have to search around, maybe order online. But I walked into the store where I bought my last one---WalMart---and, to my surprise, they had one. Cost less than my last one, under a hundred dollars.

So I bought that and took the old one down. Now, I thought I'd kept it clean, but oh! the thing was just covered in grease. (Note to myself: lift up this new one every so often and clean under it.) I wrapped it up in a plastic lawn-and-leaf bag, to keep ants away when I stored it temporarily in the garage.

"Temporary" meaning I intended to put it out in the garbage---but, as a lot of you know, garbage pickup services usually want you to call up and make special arrangements for dumping your appliances. I'd get around to it when I got around to it.

Yesterday, Monday, my father reminded me I should put the microwave out on the curb---you see, we also have people who scavenge the neighborhood looking for things they think they can use. They usually come through on Monday, regular garbage coming Tuesday. (My father reminded me of that a couple days ago, but I forgot till he reminded me again.)

So I stopped by my house, out on the way to other things, and dug the busted microwave out and got the bag off (a messy, greasy job in itself), and put it out on the curb. This was about 11:45 am. Long about 3:30 pm, I had occasion to look out---and, sho'nuff, it was gone.

(The new one works fine, too.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the fireworks stand fairies have been at it again.

Don't know how it is in your state, but fireworks can be sold only for only a few days each year and only for charities. Except, evidently, for some packages of fireworks. So every year close to the Fourth these booths appear. I mean I don't see anyone delivering them and usually don't see anyone putting them together. Some years piles of booth sections appear and a day to a week later the booth is set up. No one is seen delivering the sections and no one is seen putting them together. This year the booths appeared already set up.

I should add that two years ago I did see a flatbed truck loaded with the piles of sections and last year a truck unloading some, and a couple of times the last few years I have seen people tightening bolts on the booths. Even though come to think of it I haven't seen anyone actually lifting the sections and lining them up.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

At the beginning of the week I called the mechanic who works on our cars. My pick-up needs lube and oil change, possibly the shock needs replacing.

Anyway I told him it needed a tune-up, corrected myself and went on. Too late I thought maybe that was a Fordian slip.

[Big Grin]

[ June 27, 2014, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Our" change?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay it's been fixed.

Maybe that one was a real freudian slip or tired thinking.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Remember, a couple of months and a page back, when we were bitching about Analog taking a long time to reject manuscripts? Mine was out two hundred and fifty-seven days that time.

Well, with my last finished work, I decided to try Analog again, to see if there was any improvment. This time it took fifty-three days to reject it.

Much better---execpt for the rejection part.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Here are two web sites that might be of interest to writers here.

LEGO Odyssey

And a list of Tor's favorite fictional modes of transportation:

Tor here

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

F & SF rejected the same story in seven days flat---but were nice about it in a way I'd rather not draw attention to. Also, from the slip, it would seem they read the story and picked up on the details of it---and that's the first time in about fifteen years that I've been sure I've gotten that kind of attention with a story.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That's about right for them. F&SF seems to have three levels of form rejections. The second and third sound like they may have read it all the way through, especially the third one.

But if they picked up details from it, that sounds like a personal comment.

If so good going. It may not be far from being bought.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's said that Anthony Boucher, the original editor of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, once rejected a story with a note so kind about the story that the writer sent the story back with a note of his own that said, "Then why the devil don't you publish it?" This note wasn't in that league, but I appreciate the effort.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Had a miserable three days of computer problems. Saturday, after I finished an online session, something erased all my (AOL) Favorite Places links. (I'd been moving some stuff around, but I've done that before without that happening.)

I tried looking for a couple of things that I thought might help, but without luck. Being rather busy in the time frame between then and now kept me from doing what I just did---I went to my old computer, dug out the length of cable I used to use to link to my broadband, linked it up, went online, got the Favorite Places list from about a year and a third ago, copied that onto a floppy disk (yes, I still have them), then plugged that drive into my new computer and copied it into my current (AOL) program.

Over the next few days I'll be painstakingly updating and looking for links for what I've accumulated / started following in the last year or so. I'll also put a copy somewhere in my current files once I've got a few updates.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've managed to rebuild my Favorite Places, but am wondering whether or not I've missed one or two or several in my online comics section. I'll wonder about that till I think of them and try to locate. A couple of obscure links are gone altogether, I think...

Meanwhile, I saved a copy of it all to my documents file once I completed my work. (Now I've got to acquire a new something-or-other to save my documents again, not wanting to erase what's already on the other thumb drives or whatever they're called that I've got lying around.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just thought I would say here--just saw my favorite still together band for the first time. They have been together for ten years. Two others were with them, but most of the concert went to the group. Great concert--they played their latest and many of their older hits. I had forgotten a couple of them.

I had to rush after work and sacrifice my writing for the evening but still I'm glad I went.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Re: the abovementioned problems with my Favorite Places list. I thought I had it worked out, with everything recovered. But Sunday, for some reason beyond my understanding, the list somehow flipped itself---dividing at about the halfway point, and putting the last half first and the first half last.

Everything's still there---it's just a damned awkward thing, and, no, I have no idea how it happened. Did I touch something, or did it do it on its own, and if the latter, why?

I was a-gonna save the list October First, but with it in this state I don't know. I can untangle it but it would be kind of tedious work...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Addendum to the above: it does look like some websites dropped out in the middle of the list (the beginnings and ends now.) I'll just have to replace it with the last copy, now...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

After more gyrations in this...this morning all my Favorite Places disappeared again. I uploaded from the last one I saved---yesterday---and am still left wondering what's going on.

Ah, well. I'll be out of town for a few days and won't have to worry about it till I get back.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

From a post I left about a year ago:

I see they do have Captain American costumes for adults this year.

No, Dray Prescott outfit though. I would have to make one myself.

Anyway, still no place to wear them. Or is there--Hmm, a charity is have a Masquerade for a fund raiser. Don't know how much it costs nor if there is a style of costume they want. But I almost want to go.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I had two more thoughts on potential Costumes.

One is an angel outfit. The only problem would be the wings--as I see them--would be heavy after a while even if made out of super light material, and they might end up smacking someone if I wore them to a party.

Second is an outfit the King of Cats wore to a party. To get an idea of that outfit you would have to read the first ten pages or so of "Winter Long" by Seanan McGuire and where would I find brown leather pants like those. I could of course dye my hair to have the tabby look. Pointed ears would be easy too.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Maybe the Statue of Liberty guys could loan one of their outfits out...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Maybe the Statue of Liberty guys could loan one of their outfits out...

chuckle
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Here's a link to something you might find interesting.
An online forum-convention.
"Our forum for our CygCon Free Online SFF and Writing Convention"

There are discussions dealing with robots, steampunk, fantasy, nanotech, your favorite writer.

Here it is

[ October 27, 2014, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Looks like you didn't paste it in right.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This time it worked, last time I don't know what happened.

I know what I did wrong--egads.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, forgot something important: the link to the online convention
The Con

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Going over this page, I see I was complaining about microwave shopping. Then it was microwaves...now it's my dishwasher. Last week it started not washing properly; Saturday it won't run at all.

So yesterday I went and bought a new one---different brand; I was never that fond of this one's design---and now I'm waiting for someone to deliver and install it.

A household is just one thing going wrong after another---and this is nothing compared to the repiping job I had to do last year.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Done and done. Now I have to nerve myself to go car shopping...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Just in this last week, two of my pre-set-button radio stations started running all-Christmas music all the time. One last Friday, one sometime over the weekend. Now, one of 'em did it last year...but the other is the former "oldies" station, though it changed to "The River" and now runs less and less of what I like---at least when it's running straight songs.

Either way, it's too damned early to start, so far before Thanksgiving. And, besides, there's not much imagination in the versions they choose. For every song worth hearing, you have to wade through endless versions by Mannheimer Steamroll or Bubbly Michael or whoever.

cowgirl.jake
Member # 10345

- posted      Profile for cowgirl.jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Fun fact:Did you know that if you put pure cayenne pepper under your tongue it could stop a heart attack instantly? I use Dr. Christopher's.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamberguesa
Member # 10320

- posted      Profile for Lamberguesa   Email Lamberguesa         Edit/Delete Post 
cowgirl: if these posts had a "Like" button, I'd use it on yours [Wink]

A.L.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Update: Christmas music has started spilling over into other stations, but now it's post-Thanksgiving and more appropriate. I look forward to hearing old favorites among the carols.

But the two abovementioned stations do endlessly repeat assorted versions of the same songs. You hear "Frosty the Snowman," say, by Gene Autry, by Burl Ives, by Jimmy Durante, and by Willie Nelson. (In some ways I don't mind---it's often the only time I hear most of these guys sing anything on the radio anymore.)

I wouldn't mind hearing a few more versions of familiar songs---say, the Fab Four Christmas set, or the Ventures Christmas album. But I can do that on my own. (I hope to obtain a CD of the Phil Spector Christmas album during the seaon, or, if not that, to download it from iTunes if available.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight, / 'Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!'"
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Christmas everybody!!!
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yo Merry Christmas to each and every one of you.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

While I am here I decided to add this-something I had been thinking of posting for a month.

On the way to taking my daughter to her grandfather's then to work, I noticed that someone had done donuts in a not so busy intersection during the night. Three times--someone at work thought it might have been a group playing follow the leader in cars. Anyway; one of them left some tire behind. I don't mean the black marks, I mean chunks of tire. Three pieces at least.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We had a guy do donuts on the road outside the plant when he retired. I won't---I need those tires.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well well

HappY NeW YeaR to everyone here. [Smile]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm claiming the first Dancing Statues of Liberty sighting of 2015; this morning, January 9th, two of them, same location. I was half-expecting them last week, but they didn't show.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Dancing Statues of Liberty????????!

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Guys (usually) who cross-dress (when they're guys) and stand outside in the USA from January to April 15th---living ads for Liberty Tax Services, who usually have an office nearby.
Will Blathe
Member # 10300

- posted      Profile for Will Blathe           Edit/Delete Post 
Take a sentence and rewrite it differently a dozen times.

I did this once and ended up with a dozen different stories.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
That's usually how I get my stories. [Big Grin]
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
I'm claiming the first Dancing Statues of Liberty sighting of 2015; this morning, January 9th, two of them, same location. I was half-expecting them last week, but they didn't show.

Awww, I completely forgot to post about my first sighting--might have been the same day as yours.

But mine was only one.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
But mine was only one.
So far, four in three different locations.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have been seeing more. One was kinda of dancing-not bad at twirling the sign.

But so far neither of the guitar playing ones from last year.

Will Blathe
Member # 10300

- posted      Profile for Will Blathe           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, those Dancing Statues had their grey-matter scooped out and replaced by Cheeze Whiz. The result is an army, slowly growing year after year. Who controls the Dancing Statues of Liberty?

Be very afraid, people. Be very afraid.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I see those sign-twirling folks out of the corner of my eye and imagine them as some circus version of a color guard, twirling machine guns.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There are lots of 'em around---there are quite a few spinning "Buy Gold" signs---but the Statues of Liberty seem to be the only single species out there in my area.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

we have quite a few of the Gold signs but a few others too. Pizza, cell phones.

But today the statures were more active with their signs. And I may not be remembering right but the signs seem different and maybe larger. Oh so do the crowns.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Maybe your area has new outfits, but mine look like the same old robes and crowns. The guys doing it are different. One guy from last year was pretty lively, livelier than the ones I've seen so far. Maybe he got a better gig...
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.