Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 37)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I am procrastinating sweeping and mopping. I hate cleaning.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't procrastinate housecleaning. I admitted defeat some time ago, and just let it all go. Every once in a while I notice the dust piles and scoop them into a trash can...

It helps that my hubby cares more and tries to keep up. My rule is don't complain or fret about it, just choose whether or not to do it. There's usually a higher priority.

The best incentive? Invite company over for dinner, especially someone other than family.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, that's the only reason I'm cleaning tonight.

Although, I generally clean as a means to procrastinate from other work.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't put off to tomorrow what you can put off to the day after tomorrow, then a giant ice storm will take care of it for you.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
In ten years from now (I borrowed from the ten years thread, sorry for stealing) I hope there are robot maids who are really cheap and clean really well.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
what is mine is yours

feel free to brrowe anything i write.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget to do unto others before the others can do unto you.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Man cannot live by bread alone...he must have peanut butter.

--Brother Dave Gardner

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny because my cousin is pregnant and all she can keep down is peanut butter.

Rule # 35: That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.

---The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
FYI--- ONLY 351 SHOPPING DAYS LEFT 'TIL CHRISTMAS --- It's not sneakin up on me this time!

wait... wait... I can hear somebody using a calculator... or is it a slide rule...

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited January 08, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to ask a question about neurosurgeonory (I don’t know how to spell that word and I could not find it in a dictionary)

I would prefer not to post it here because it is about lobotomies, and its for a story idea I thought of, but I cant find the answer to my question anywhere on the internet on websites, minus those who are for doctors only and have restricted access.

Thanks

RFW2nd

PS: no i dont sleep much, i have been awake for 34 hours, and no energy drinks, coffie, tea, soda, etc.

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited January 09, 2010).]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
RFW II - I don't know anything about neurosurgery, neurosurgeonory, or lobotomies, but your inquiry sure does "open you up" for all kinds of "wisecracks".

BTW - that's for the "blue pill" comment on Facebook.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I calculate this post will be Post Number 1812...I'd put a link to something that played the "1812 Overture" but it'd just be another link cluttering up the boards. Besides, you all know how it goes.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Is it doot doot dootily doot doot do do?

The terror of the ages is nothing more than a baby squid. (Of course it's a baby squid the size of the universe, and he's hungry.)

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Would be ethical to initiate a defense for 2012 so countries don’t engage in global war, such as China, launching counter offences, against the US. To dominate the world market after the collapse of the complete world market.

Asked by Brown, Ethan. PVT US Army.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Quote.. your inquiry sure does "open you up" for all kinds of "wisecracks. End quote

Maybe.

But I don’t know if they are still able to think and trapped in their bodies or are they just completely brain dead?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Lobotomies don't necessarily cause people to be "trapped in their own bodies."

I knew of someone who worked in the engineering department of a university who'd had a lobotomy.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

well i have been studing the work of Walter Freeman who preformed the "Ice pick" lobotomy and aparently his lobotomies 75% of the time made people into vegetables 5% blead out and 5% got better, the rest needed more than one.

i cant find any thing saying if the ones who became vegetables could still think, that is what my lobotomy zombie story is about. i just wanted to get my facts strate, but cant find the answers.

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I haven't heard of anybody getting a full frontal lobotomy since the 1970s...but may not be in touch with who's doing the procedures.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sorry but 2012 is way too early for a global war, and the world market isn't going to collapse any time soon.

I really should be doing my homework.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
...it's snowed twice down here in Florida in the thirty-plus years I've been here...

Make that three times.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone very important once said, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy".
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

Sounds very WC Fields... or possibly Hawkeye from M.A.S.H.

Just guessing!

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

According to what I just traced through Google, Tom Waits first said it on "Fernwood Tonite" in 1977...but the line probably predates that use by some years, and that show was just where the trail goes cold.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

dose anyone know if a person who has become a vegetable after a lobotomy is conscious in their head or are they just brain dead?

RFW2nd

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, but it's too personal to share.
:P

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
If they give you choice on what kind of vegetable to become, pick broccoli. It's brain food.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a game:

Pick the President by the associated food -

1. Broccoli
2. Hamburger
3. Jelly Bean
4. Peanut

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

One was a matter of dislike.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II, by definition, a "vegetable" is not conscious. It's possible, however, that a person may appear to be a "vegetable" because they are unable to communicate (as you put it "trapped in their bodies") and still be conscious.

A frontal lobotomy (what is usually meant when the term "lobotomy" is used) should not cause people to be either a "vegetable" or "trapped in their bodies." The communication areas are not usually in the frontal lobe of the brain.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Almost forgot:

George H.W. Bush (the first President Bush) doesn't like broccoli, and Ronald Reagan liked jelly beans so much that the Utah Republican Committee chairman, who happened to own an ice cream business at the time, had jelly bean ice cream created in his honor and sent to him.

Don't know about hamburger and peanuts, though I'd guess that peanuts might belong to Jimmy Carter.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I thought the hamburger would be one of the easy ones.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Didn't Carter own a peanut farm, or perhaps I just made that up in my head. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between what I make up and what is real. (Which is why my story on the British royal family bombed so badly.)

I once saw Obama eating a hamburger on the news. I don't really know why.

There are so many ways to be victorian.

rich
Member # 8140

Clinton, right?

Just watching LEON (released as The Professional here in the States), and there's a scene with a somewhat pudgy political-type getting out of the limousine to go jogging, surrounded by bodyguard-types, and he says he wants a burger just before he takes off at a trot.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We seem to have veered into politics, right? Much as I'd like to say something raw about lots of them, we kinda agreed not to. Irritating political discussions was part of what drove me away from the Internet Fan Fiction community I'd been part of. Besides, lately, I've found other outlets to vent about that.

Other than that...one of the oldest items on my knicknack shelf is a plastic piggybank in the shape of a peanut, with Jimmy Carter's smile. In high school (around the time I acquired it), in art class, I had to draw an item from life, and I drew this---which the teacher didn't believe until I brought it in to show her.

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited January 13, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My first post of the above seemed to drop out some of my words---are we reaching the limits of how long a thread can be?
rich
Member # 8140

I don't see any political discussions going on. But I am hungry for some reason.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

After posting that, I cooked and ate a couple of thin steaks. But I was hungry anyway.
dougsguitar
unregistered

"I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!" Wimpy

Was the 'Meisterburger'burgermeister' ever the President? Anyone care to take a stab at where this guy appeared? Hmmm?

philocinemas
Member # 8108

That would be Santa Claus is Comin' to Town.

And yes, Rich, Clinton loved hamburgers, and would often stop at McDonalds during [political] road trips.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You might be thinking of that Saturday Night Live sketch with Phil Hartman.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

The SNL sketch had some truth to it. I remember watching CNN back when he was running and witnessing at least one of those pitstops.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you hate it when you have your bank account (the one your wife doesn't know about) hit with a unilateral charge that produces a $35.00 overdraft fee? That happened today.

Had to scramble around to cancel the charge and get down on my knees in front of my telephone to get the bank to reverse the charge.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
the one your wife doesn't know about

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If you've got bank accounts your wife doesn't know about, pretty soon you'll have bigger troubles than a thirty-five dollar overdraft fee.

Besides, it's much easier to fix these things by showing up at the bank itself.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else in a New Year lull?

My writing is moving along but besides that I've had no impetus to do much on my days off.

Right around the first I had four days off and on two separate ones I never even got out of my pajamas. After NaNo and Christmas and overdue dental work, essentially two months of my days off being eaten, the break at New Year's was bliss. But now I'm having trouble getting back into accomplishing things on my days off. You know the stuff: oil change, laundry, cleaning the bedroom, getting the back window sealed on the car, etc. I'm just feeling a bit draggy.

I am trying to get back in the swing. I actually called out 'sick' from work today, (no lies,I told them it was a mental health day) and I plan to get some things done and get out a little, probably by going to the beach or maybe to feed ducks at the park. Maybe I've just been inside too much.

Anyone else feeling a lull? Or has the New Year energized you?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I had a day off on Christmas and a day off on New Year's Day---they were not butted-up against my usual days off---and Christmas itself proved not to be very restful. So it was back to the grind right away, made worse by the backup from the holidays.

On the home front, I enforced a kind of lull right before Christmas, in that I didn't do some things [like writing] only in favor of doing other things [like Christmas shopping]. New Year's Day was filled with all that first-of-the-month, first-of-the-year, every-three-months chores I keep lists of to remind me to do them. In between I did little...but the week after I swung things around and got back to writing (at least).

There are still chores to do, that I just, gosh-darnit, haven't gotten around to doing. I've got about six months of mail to go through and sort and shred---but I just haven't gotten around to it. Plus a few other projects I keep putting off, like cleaning out this pigsty I call an office.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'm in a new years lullaby. That has more to do with the fact I didna sleep last night. It is a hard thing sometimes to choose between 4 hours of sleep and no sleep. (Because you may doubt your ability to just sleep 4 hours.) I decided to choose a kind of middle ground and spent 2 hours sitting up in a chair blinking slowly.

I also watched a Jackie Chan movie called The Myth and dude, that was the best of his movies. (And I've seen a lot of his movies, from Fantasy Mission Force to Miracles to Gorgeous to Operation Condor to Shanghai Noon to The Jackie Chan Adventures(animation) to Twin Dragons to Mister Nice Guy to Heart of the Dragon (oh dear I appear to be listing again!) my favorite used to be Tiger Fist.)

Wow I did a whole list without a non-sequitur. I don't know if I should be proud of myself or if I should be horrified. Either way I think I deserve a nap.

rich
Member # 8140

Now I feel sleepy.
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
From
http://www.think-logically.co.uk/lt.htm

quote:

Question 3.
a) Men think only about sex.
b) A man called Gary is thinking.

Conclusion
Therefore Gary is thinking about sex.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.