Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 43)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Did get paid last night, first thing---with money orders rather than a check---and put 'em in the bank this morning. There are a few ancillary details to work out, like getting a pay stub (to check up on deductions and such) and filing grievances, but I got paid. Eight days late.

Will I get paid next Friday, when the next paycheck is due? Stay tuned...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well look on the bright side at least the saga of the missing money has given you another top of the page.

I'm quite tired, Friday night I got to sleep about 6 AM, woke up a 10. Last night I was passing out in front of the TV but I wanted to see Doctor Who so I fought it. (It was, by the way a pretty lame episode. You'd think Sheakspear and witches and discussions of Harry Potter would work better. The ending was funny though and Tennant was fun to watch, Agyeman was still in the process of putting on her Martha Jones pants.) Anyways after that I couldn't get to sleeep even though I was tired as all get out. Finally succumbed at about five, got woken up at 9:40 by a phone call I actually wanted to take. (Doings-a-transpiring and all that.) And now after church and I should have taken a nap but instead made the usual internet rounds, now it's too late. It has made my tongue loose and bought about some interesting moments at church. More interesting things are bound to come as tonight I'm going to meet the fiance of a girl I kinda-sorta seriously dated, and at one time wanted to take the hum-hawing beginning of that term away. The joy.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. I was all excited with the whole Shakespeare and aliens, and witches thing too, and then ended up a bit disappointed. They never explained why one girl could look pretty, but the others couldn't.

Oh well, the doctor is still the raddest dude on TV.

Well, him and Adam Baldwin.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I have trouble staying awake at night and trouble getting to sleep in the day---which is just the situation my job forces me into. At work, when there's nothing to do---sometimes we're all just on "standby" waiting for things to come in---I nod off, even standing up, which when I was a kid I would've sworn was impossible. Then at home, the light streaming in keeps me from getting to sleep. Sometimes, in the afternoon in my comfy chair, or when I take a bath in my parents' Jacuzzi in the morning, I'll fall asleep, but it's kind of an aware-asleep, where I can hear the TV or radio or iPod (or occasionally people), but I can't rouse myself to concentrate on them.

If it weren't for pay and benefits, I'd've quit that job a long time ago. (See above for what happened to "pay" last week.) I look forward to retirement, maybe sometime in the next seven years if I can pull it off.

[edited to correct a typo]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited April 13, 2010).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Funker-shoo.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Gdblousah.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Poplotoch.

Anyway, I learned how to sleep standing up when I had mono in Junior High. (I also learned to sleep with my eyes open sitting up, but as soon as I hit REM it really freaked out the teachers so I decided to be more honest about sleeping in class.) Now I sleep standing up as a parlor trick. (You now if anyone actually had a parlor anymore.)
I just did a semesters worth of work in the past three days. Needles to say I say I didn't get much sleep in the past few days. (Had to be at the school by 7:45 AM and I got off work at 1:00 AM the night before.)
I've always had sleep issues. It's actually quite an adventure.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Kerplach.

Today was payday again, and, wonder of wonders, I got paid, right off.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Halavio.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Humahumanukanukaapuaa.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Ah, going Hawaiian on us.

KhikiKhalaKado

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Rhinotillexomania.

Just looking for long strange funnysounding words that actually mean something in some language...except for my first post...

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhirurierighisinalide

In High School, my friends and I would play Scrabble with the rule that any word works if you can create an interesting enough definition.

This is the word we came up with. If you are wondering about the definition of Rhirurierighisinalide, it is the brand name of a medication designed to cure Rhirurierighisinal (a cronic infection of the Rurierighi{ an invisible ventricle of the heart that only 5 people out of a million have that produces rierig, [the ability to summon bread out of thin air]*)

Don't play scrabble with me, I cheat.

~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited April 20, 2010).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Homeoteleuton.

Actually, in the course of searching for spellings of oddball words, I found this site: http://phrontistery.info/ihlstart.html
, which has a lot of neat words.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
One night in high school my friends and I took out a dictionary and tried to make the most impressive scrabble game just so we could leave it out and show people.

I think I had too much time in high school and I used think I was busy then.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Eyjafjallajokull.

For some reason, long and strangely-spelled-by-English-language-standards words amuse me. I was going to poke around the Welsh language for a good example when I remembered this one from current events.

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard how that's pronounced? I must not listen to enough news, because I haven't heard it at all. (Maybe the newscasters are afraid to get it wrong.)

My guess is I-yaf-yal-la-yo-cool. Not sure where to put the accent, maybe on the even-numbered syllables?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My version lacked all the umlauts...
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Fujjiwinkle, it's Monday.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was thinking this thread finally died...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Threads never die, not really, they just fall lower in the queue and go to that great archive in the sky.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited April 27, 2010).]

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just waiting for all the Oompa Loompa words to die down.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Just post some "random musing"...it's almost like blogging.
satate
Member # 8082

I hate colds.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Would you like 'em better if they were called "hots?"
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there once a thread about linking blogs written by hatrackers together? I can't find it anywhere.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

No, I would not like them if they were called hots either. But then people would think you got them by going in hot weather rather than cold.

I always think it's funny when my husband tells the kids they're going to cath a cold when they go out in Arizona winter weather. I try and tell him that even in the winter it's warm enough to be some people's summer.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was there once a thread about linking blogs written by hatrackers together? I can't find it anywhere.

It's in the Next, Please Introduce Yourself area, Unwritten.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I get colds in the weather in Florida...had one earlier in the year...on the other hand, it was unusually cold down here this winter.

I couldn't find whether I complained about that cold on this thread or not...thought I had, but I couldn't find it. Either way, I was down for the count for almost a week and coughed till the end of March...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Ah, the blog list didn't get much takers so I abandoned it, I've gone and edited in the people who added in April, I hope to make it a pretty good list.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Seems I get one of these colds every other year, sometimes early in the year, sometimes late. The one before last, I had a rat climb out of my toilet and run around my house for a week and a half, which didn't help me get better at all.

One cold, in late 1999, played a role in my getting involved in Internet Fan Fiction...I was either in bed or on the couch, flipping through channels, ran across this one particular show...and once I got past a "what's the deal with this guy and his eye?" issue, I decided I liked the show, one thing led to another, and another, and several others, and the next thing I knew I was writing fanfic.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kathleen!
I think it's one of those slow growing ideas, Pyre Dynasty--but no less good for being one.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Sigh.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
To continue to complain about the weather (not about colds), it really stinks for the temperature not to reach 50 on May 4th and have snow on the ground a few days before. It really stinks.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Why the sigh, genevive42? It's Tuesday!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Owasm, I think that would stink.

I'm dreading May because each day gets a little closer to summer. We're already hitting the mid ninetys this week. Triple digits won't be far away and then they stay until October and by stay I mean even the very coldest part of the night will still be 105 degrees.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We had our last cool day down here in this part of Florida last Wednesday...I cut the lawn that morning at eight AM and it was fine...I went to work at ten PM and it was in the mid-fifties...but Sunday night when I went in, same time, it was in the mid-eighties.

If we have anything cooler in the summer, I wait for the end of "global warming" stories in the news and the return of "new Ice Age" news stories...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

With all the possible subject lines in all the Internet, why do all the scammers and phishers in the last couple of months think I'd be interested in buying a watch?
satate
Member # 8082

LOL, don't they know watches are out? It seems everyone uses their cell phone now, except for those few hold outs like my mom.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

For about two years, once a month, I received an email from China offering me a chance to import thin copper plates for batteries. It was the strangest spam I've ever witnessed. (And I had a friend in junior high who would pass a WWII surplus can around the table every lunch, so I've seen my share of strange spam.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Our family has a tradition of keeping a can of Spam around until it explodes. My mother kept one for about thirty years...mine's, mmm, let me fetch it and see...according to the date I wrote on it with a grease pencil (I always put dates on food I buy, and a few other things), I bought it December Fifth, 1995. Hasn't exploded yet.

It may not be the oldest can in my cabinet, either...I've got some tunafish that predates my grease-pencil-date-writing policy...and I don't remember how old that Jiffy Pop popcorn tin is...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Okay, I'm going away for just over a week, starting, essentially, right this moment. I'll be gone till sometime Monday after next.

Try to keep up things here while I'm gone, will you?

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

"Okay see one time Randy Beaman's mother was sitting on her porch with bare feet and she felt a licking at her feet and she thought it was just her dog but it wasn't it was that weird guy who did that sometimes. 'Kay bye."

Randy Beaman Kid, Animaniacs.

I'm been churning through my DVD's and I'm right in the middle of Animaniacs country, it's amazing what they were allowed to get away with.

satate
Member # 8082

I remember watching that. I thought it was hilarious. I liked Pinky and the Brain and I think I was in high school at the time.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I have a giant Pinky (from Pinky and the Brain) in my car. My boyfriend won it for me at Magic Mountain many years ago.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I was rather traumatized by two things last Friday.

The first is Heroes was canceled.

The second is Smallville is still on the air, I had no idea, I thought that show died a deserved death years ago.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Aw, c'mon, I was gone almost ten days and you only had four more posts?
genevive42
Member # 8714

We kept it at the top of the list. What more do you want?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A little more entertainment value wouldn't hurt...a thousand posts ago, it seemed more interest was being generated...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

By the way, in the space between when I went away last October and when I came back a week later, I count twenty-two posts...maybe this thread is finally dying out...
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.