FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The monkey's paw -- a game (Page 17)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The monkey's paw -- a game
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You get to be in labor.

I wish my favorite pants weren't getting too tight around my rapily-growing belly.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, kq, I wish you wouldn't wish such a wish, because I can think of the worst possible reason for it to go away.

Instead, because I'm a weinie: Granted! As the morning sickness comes from hormonal changes, those symptoms must be suffered somewhere (part of the Law of Conservation of Hormones and Consequences) so this Genie does what she can by transfering the sickness to the nearest non-pregnant person. As a result, Emma bursts into tears for no reason and begins raging around the house, tearing apart the Air Conditioner and purposefully NOT putting it back together properly.

I wish the sql query I need to write was all written and I could stop worrying about it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. It's written, it's hundreds of thousands of characters long, there's a bug in it somewhere- and you get to find it.

I wish I could get what I wanted to done without staying up until ridiculous hours.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. There are no longer any ridiculous hours. They are all serious, and they are all work hours. Thanks.

I wish I was still at the National Storytelling Festival.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You have been turned into a stone statue and will stay there forever as their mascot.

I wish the cat box was clean.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. All the litter and feces that WAS in the box is now on your bed and the floor around it.

I wish that I had high-speed internet instead of this dial-up!

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, now popups come up so fast you have no hope of closing them quickly enough to actually read the webpages you're on

I wish I wasn't compelled to pull out my hair

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, in addition to no pulling, you have no desire to remove any excess hair so you now have a unibrow and very hairy legs.

I wish that I could finish my grading this week without staying at work late.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, you finish your grading this week by taking the work home with you. You work tirelessly and get no sleep at home, but at least you didn't have to stay late at work.

I wish I could get my story done for Scott Card and get an A on it.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but the A stand for awful.

I wish I had soft padding on my speakers. (I have my reasons.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Your entire speakers are extremely soft- to the point that the first time you touch them, the internal components are crushed.

I wish I didn't get heartburn.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but now you have no stomach acid and your food moves through your esophagus like light through a fiberoptic cable.

I wish for a bottle of premium Scotch

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck. I mean, really, what'll that be, a conversation piece? Hopefully a bottle full of well-mashed Scotsmen will satisfy your blood lust.

I wish my essay was finished and beautiful.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. But you stayed up all night hopped up on caffine to finish it so you overslept for class and didn't make it there at all so you failed.
(gotta love the run-on sentence)

I wish I could talk to animals.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*POOF!* You can! And you can understand them, too. Trouble is, now you know they all hate you . . . and some of them are rather angry.

I wish the other person in the office were less annoying.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Your wish has been granted! You are now working in the bowels of the Post Office, and the other person you are working with isn't so much annoying as unnerving.

I wish I had a pony.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You do!

In your living room. And he's hungry. Have fun!

I want out of the post office!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted: You're now on top of Mount Everest - in your Postal Service uniform.

I wish I was fluent in Matlab.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

(So I've gone from working in a school office with a frequently exasperating co-worker, to the bowels of the PO to the top of Everest. Huh. Am I getting frequent flyer miles?)
Miro
Member # 1178

(Yes, but then the airline goes bankrupt.)
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

( [ROFL] )
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Miro

Good one!

I wish I had Alice the maid to clean up after me and my family.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

(Hey, don't I get my wish?!?!)

Granted: Now you have Alice and Alex and Anna and Amelia and Ashton and the rest of the Adamson clan. Gets a little crowded, doesn't it?

I still wish I was fluent in Matlab.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. However, you are no longer fluent in any non-geek language, so are able only to converse with the geeky set. (Fluent in Klingon is a side effect of fluent in Matlab).

I wish I had answered Miro's wish earlier.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
You do, but destroy part of the space-time continuum in the process. Now you're your own Tante; Serenity was made by George Lucas instead of Joss Whedon (with Harrison Ford as Mal, and Jar Jar Binks as Kaylee; there are hints of an incestuous relationship between River and Simon); Tom DeLay is an unassailable paragon of virtue; the Great Red Spot of Jupiter dissolves and astronomers have to look for large rings to tell it and Saturn apart; Jon Stewart is President of the United States; Einstein caused Hitler to disappear before World War II, thus causing a massive Soviet rise to power; Ronald Reagan was successfully assassinated, thus causing a paradox in 1991 with the collapse of the Soviet Union; a butterfly sometime during the Jurassic period is killed, with no apparent ill effects; Hurricane Katrina struck Asia instead of the U.S. and the energy stored in the faults somehow cancelled out the energy in the hurricane, thus dissipating the hurricane and preventing earthquakes in the region for years to come.

Hey, that last bit would be pretty good!

I wish that I could keep a normal sleep schedule.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Granted: You don't sleep at all - which is normal for an insect.

I wish it was yesterday.

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, you now move backward in time rather than forward like everyone else/

I wish my class would be cancelled today.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Your class was cancelled today...and the next day...and the next...Now you can never get that credit.

I wish that normal work/school hours were at night instead of during the day.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. The change was effective a month ago, and nobody bothered to tell you about it. You've been fired from your job and/or kicked out of school for missing so many nights.

I wish sweaters weren't so itchy.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Now nothing is itchy. Not your sweaters, not that terrible rash that is eating away at the layers of your skin. In fact, you've lost most of the nerve sensation in your skin. Burns at the kitchen stove top go unnoticed. You forget to blink because the nerves don't tell you your eyes are uncomfortably dry. Over time, the cumulative injuries and lack of care to your eyes renders you a blind, crippled wretch.

I wish I had a nice big bowl of ice cream.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! Unfortunately, it's peanut butter-asparagus ice cream.

I wish I had some dark chocolate.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You have the darkest chocolate ever. The chocolate depresses you with its brooding, melancholy poetry and cynically bleak worldview. Nobody wants to spend time with you because the dark chocolate talks about famine and nuclear winter and serial killers all the time. Eventually you and the chocolate enter a suicide pact, but you get the order of it wrong, hanging yourself before eating the dark chocolate. Unable to fulfill its end of the suicide pact without you to devour it, the chocolate becomes darker than ever.

I wish I wasn't a blind, cripped wretch!

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Granted! But now all your sweaters are filled with fleas and you itch so bad that you scratch all your skin off.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Wiener...

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
But if you were an Oscar Meyer Weiner, everyone would be in love with you. And let's face it, it's hard to get to work when seven billion people are clinging to and hitting on you.

I wish I didn't have a cold.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. It's not a cold. It's Something Serious.

I wish I had three free wishes -- no strings attached.

Treason
Member # 7587

Granted! But since you didn't have strings attatched to them they all floated away and now god gets them.

I wish I wasn't smoking again...

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted! I've doused you with a bucket of water. Now you are cold and wet.

I wish it rains again tomorrow.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted...but it rains somewhere else.

I wish I could destroy my alarm clock and just sleep until I wake up.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. However, you wake up about five minutes before your alarm clock was set to go off.

I wish I had a snow globe that had a little snow plow inside that would plow away all the snow when I wound it up.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Unfortunately, all that snow has to go somewhere and you wake up in the morning completely plowed in to your bed. And the electric blanket is still in the closet.

I wish people would stop disagreeing with me.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Your wish is my command. People no longer disagree with you. Coffee, however, totally disagrees with your stomach, and causes you all types of gastric and colic distress.

I wish the pi button on my calculator would really and truly calculate the real value of pi, and not just some wussy, rounded off estimation.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It does. But it takes it so much time it won't work again until 2015. If its battery holds on until that date.
I wish my workday is over and I can go to the cinema.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish the pi button on my calculator would really and truly calculate the real value of pi, and not just some wussy, rounded off estimation.
Aside: Did you know that in July, a Board of Education in Australia ruled that physics calculations using acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) is too difficult for students during standardized tests and they are now to use the rounded off figure 10? When some wacko math 'purists' pointed out that using this method for calculations would cause rockets to carreen out of control and bungee jumpers to crash into the ground, the Board responded with "Well, students won't be penalized for using the actual figure."

How nice of them? A little amnesty for the sinners who provide correct answers.

End of Aside.

No derailment intended.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. You're fired.

I wish heating oil and gasoline weren't so expensive.

rivka
Member # 4859

Granted. They are now dirt-cheap -- or they would be, if you could buy any. Have fun shoveling coal!

I wish I could fall asleep when I wanted, for as long as I wanted, and awake rested.

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a fine line between "really lazy" and "corpse".
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations rivka, you're now able to fall asleep when you want, for as long as you want, and awake rested. I'm afraid that there is a little bit of paperwork involved, however. There is a 30 page form that you have to fill out in triplicate and file at least one week before each period during which you would like to sleep. The forms are constantly being updated by the central office, and outdated forms are not acceptable, so be sure you have the latest version of the form before you submit, and hope that an update doesn't become available before the sleep request has been approved.

I wish that I were fluent in all forms of spoken and written human communication.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Tomorrow the aliens will be arriving to wipe out the human race--except for you. And your vocal cords aren't equipped to speak their language.

I wish I had a piano.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Something blots out the sun, and you look upward just in time to see your new grand piano as it hurtles toward you. Before you can even react it has landed, pulverizing you.

I wish that my workplace would decide to start having me telecommute rather than having me actually go into the office.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, it will fall on you from on top of the next sky scraper you walk on. (Cliche as hack, but I like it.)

I wish I could play the guitar.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.