FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 16)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, no.

I despise cellphones. When I have a car I'll get a pay-as-you-go and leave it in the glove box for emergencies, but that's about it. When I leave my place it means I am doing something fun and do not wish to be reached.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I like it so if one of us has Thomas the other is reachable in an emergency. Also, Jen's car is a magnet for people who don't stop at stop signs and red lights. Cellphone + Broadband = No more being beholden to Verizon.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

See, I have no qualms about letting it go to voicemail if I don't feel like talking. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
My cell doesn't have voicemail. I normally just use text messages- I hate all phones. I hate talking on the phone. I sound like I'm 10!!

EDIT: speeling

[ April 20, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I absolutely concede that cellphones are useful, but for me -- and I've had one before, it was my only phone for four months on one of my co-op terms, so I know what I'm missing -- the disadvantages outweigh the advantages such that I'm not interested in paying for one.

Heck, if the phone in my apartment starts ringing off the hook, I'd be liable to just shut the ringer off and let the answering machine pick everything up. If someone wants to do something spontaneous with me, they are welcome to come knock on my door. [Smile]

I'm probably showing my age here (heh), but there's a fundamental disconnect between me and text messaging. I just don't get it. I mean, I more or less understand the principles, but if I was going to do that sort of thing I'd try to get set up with a Blackberry so I could use real email. But really, when I'm out in the world I just want to be out in the world. These days I'm actually not even taking my iPod or GBA with me a lot of the time.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm with you on the text messaging. Ugh.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Roll Eyes]

Old people.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike cell phones and text messages for all the usual reasons.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Old people.
[Big Grin]

Yeah. On the one hand I feel young; I actually feel like I'm too young to be out in the workforce doing the job I'm doing full-time and earning full-time dollars for doing it. But on the other hand I feel old, because I just don't get stuff like text messaging, which is ubiquitous among people a mere few years my junior.

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, darn. I missed the cell-phone number auction.

No, I don't have one. All phones are the devil, and the portable kind are the worst of them all. Funny, normally everyone's *against* me on this debate.

Anyway, yeah, it really is too bad that I can't meet the rest of you, but firstly, there's no way I can afford a hotel and secondly, I have a whooooole lot o' work to do this weekend, that's technically supposed to be done by Friday. Heh. Oops. But I'll be sure to think of you having fun for the rest of the weekend while I sit in my windowless lab scraping dirt off of fox-bones with a toothbrush. [Grumble] Not that I'm jealous...

[ April 20, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*amused at all the young'uns*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Wow, I'll never think of my job as boring again, even when there's nothing to do but post to Hatrack.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

^agrees

and I thought that school was boring.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Are you making fun of *my* job??? But it's so interesting! And I'm not even being sarcastic! I actually love it. And I don't just clean bones; I get to identify and catalogue them too! But no, really, it is pretty cool. I get to do other stuff, like draw up site maps and work with all sorts of Northern artifacts. And even the bones are neat, because you get to see all the pathologies, and see what they were eating at certain sites, and once in a while you find other artifacts in with it, amber beads or whatnot. Admittedly, this might still sound kind of boring, but it's really fascinating when you know about the context of it all! Honest!

Okay, I'm done now. Just had to make sure you all knew my job is cool on the inside, at least. And we all know it's the inside that counts. (Although I really do wish there were windows...)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Razz]

I was joking, if you couldn't tell. I could never do that, though- I would go stir-crazy within an hour.

Desdemona
Member # 7100

ELJAY!!! GET PACKING, YOU!!!!

I was out, okay? Sorry for not reminding you earlier.

Teshi
Member # 5024

I think Asta's job sounds pretty awesome. A lot better than caring for and creating games and teaching small screaming children!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I have commenced packing operations. [Smile]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Grumble] Hatrack isn't entertaining me tonight...
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes, it's been rather slow.

And distractions are welcome, because studying political terms isn't fun!

ElJay
Member # 6358

*shifty eyes*

Chocolates bought, lawnmower fixed, lawn mowed, flowerbeds cleaned, debris bagged and out for the trash, laundry done, kitchen trash out...

And I'm, um, going to the mall.

*runs out of thread*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

PACK!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Razz] ... packing, Eljay? As I siad before, we really DON'T need an excuse to go shopping...

EDIT; And I, for oone, dont want to see you in twinky's clothes...

[ April 20, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Grumble] slow hatrack = me [Frown]
twinky
Member # 693

I'm mostly packed. I've been packing intermittently between bouts of other stuff. Since I'm only bringing a backpack, it's not like I have much to worry about.
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin] [Smile] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Cool] [Smile] [Big Grin] <---- me, excited!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

^^what she said.
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Me, too. I actually *thought* about the clothes I'm wearing/bringing, which is pretty much a first. Ultimately, though, my pragmatic side triumphed over my nascent fashion sense as a consequence of the space constraints involved. [Razz]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, we appreciate you *thought* ( [Wink] ) about what you were going to wear, even if you were thwarted by practicality.

[Laugh]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

[ROFL]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

So I wonder if ElJay has packed yet...
Astaril
Member # 7440

Whoa. People pack more than an hour before they go somewhere?? Weird. I imagine I'll pack (as in, grab my wallet and a book to read on the bus) about, oh, ten minutes before I go. The joys of day-tripping. [Smile]

I just finished some more hours at work, and now I get to go home, work more in the morning, go for acupuncture (gah!), then study and write my **LAST UNIVERSITY EXAM EV-ER!** (Who, me? Ecstatic? Nooo.) tomorrow night, and then get up and go meet you all! I must be excited; I'm onto counting activities left. (I'm too lazy to count hours like everyone else.)

Oh, and, yes, I knew you weren't *really* making fun of my job, but I'll take any excuse to wax enthusiastic about, well, anything.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Last exam? Meh. Been there. Done that.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*whistles innocently*

Hi guys!

Teshi
Member # 5024

Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack. Pack.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*giggle*

I will. In just a moment. See, it's not quite the last minute yet...

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I have a car I'll get a pay-as-you-go and leave it in the glove box for emergencies, but that's about it.
twink, I don't know about Canada, but in the US you can get one-time-fee emergency cell phones. (Oh look! They cover a bit of Canada. But you probably have better choices.)

Oh, and ElJay? Pack.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
mwahahahaha!

I will wait to send the email I owe ElJay until just after she departs!

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmmm.

I've decided what I'm gonna pack. 'Zat count?

Okay, I'm gonna go pack. Geeze.

And fugu? [Razz]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Why thank you ElJay [Wink] [Razz] [Kiss] [Cool]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmpf.
fugu13
Member # 2859

(waiting is aided by the fact that I'm far too sleepy right now to write a decent email)
ElJay
Member # 6358

So, how many pairs of shoes ya suppose a girl needs for three days?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Considering I had 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of sandals with me for a 3 day model EU conference (1 pair sneakers, 1 pair brown dress shoes, 1 pair black dress shoes, and they were some very nice utopian rope sandals from East Wind, plaid's previous intentional community), I'd say at least that many.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Goodness, an enabler!

[Wink]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Given what I understand about your collection, I think you've already found ample catalyst [Razz]

However . . .

*enables ElJay*

ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Given what I understand about your collection, I think you've already found ample catalyst
I'm sure I have no idea what you could be talking about.
fugu13
Member # 2859

[Smile]

*goes to bed content in the knowledge ElJay will have taken exactly as many shoes as is appropriate for her*

edit: <--- also has an addictive personality

[ April 21, 2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cell (well, my mom's). The number is up for auction as well.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.