FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted and I are still "planning"

Ie. we're trying to figure out when we can get in on Friday night. It'll have to be after midnight. (I'll be working until at least 10:30 that night... I'm in the restaurant business so that time isn't sent in stone.)

I'd almost suggest just meeting you at the hotel when you guys get in. Or does one of you have a cell phone? We could call when we got into Toronto [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*does not have cell phone

Are you guys cool with the Crowne Plaza, or do you think we should try to find someplace else? It's probably getting to the point where we should make reservations, especially as it looks like we'll only need three rooms.

Everytime this thread falls off the first page I want to bump it, even when I have nothing to say, 'cause I'm so excited about getting to meet y'all. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited too! I'm going to be real!

I do not have a cell phone either.

[ April 08, 2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited too, and we do have cellphones. We've even tried them out in Canada. [Smile] I can send my number via e-mail to whoever wants it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

No cellphone here, either.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Do we need to talk any more about Saturday and Sunday? How is out zoo v. CN Tower split shaping up?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I checked and I *am* crazy. [Roll Eyes]
So I'll be arriving at the Bay Street terminal, and meet you all there at 1:05. S'okay? Good.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Big Grin] Nothing wrong with a little crazy.
Astaril
Member # 7440

Famous last words. Remember you haven't met me yet. I'm going to hold you to that judgment!
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Promises, promises.

[Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

Bay is the one that's near the Dundas subway station, right?
Astaril
Member # 7440

Yep. It's about two blocks away, corner of Bay and Edward St. (just a block past Dundas St). Map here. There's a big ticket selling counter, and a little cafe/snack stand. How about we meet around the little cafe?
twinky
Member # 693

Deal.

Last time I tried to find the Greyhound terminal from Dundas station, though, I walked the wrong way for a couple of blocks first. The road bends in a funny way around there and makes it somewhat confusing, even for someone with my excellent direction sense (that's enough out of you, tt&t).

I am confident that we'll get there this time. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Okay. Friday 22nd at 1:05 at the little cafe thing of the greyhound station. I'll be there. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It's almost exactly two weeks away. Two weeks less 35 minutes, depending on Astaril's bus and how easily we recognize each other...

Edit: Astaril, did I have a beard when I met you? I had one sometime in that vicinity, but I don't now.

[ April 08, 2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm following him. *points at twink* So it's his fault if we're late. [Big Grin]
Astaril
Member # 7440

Sounds good. Yeah, I walked the wrong way too the first time I tried to find it. Actually, I walked the wrong way three times. There were only four directions, so thankfully the fourth try worked out...

And Teshi, I looked you up in the Hatrack album so I think I'll know you if you get there first. And no, I don't think you had a beard, twinky. I just remember you being tall and thin and spectacled. But I cheated and looked you up in the photo site too, so I'll know. I'll find a picture soon that looks something like I currently do and put it up somewhere.

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
tall and thin and spectacled.
I read this first as tall and thin and speckled.

And yeah, I'm sort of medium hieght, long brown hair that'll probably be up, all-over-the-place fringe that sometimes behaves itself. [Dont Know]

[ April 08, 2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, I could have meant freckles. I'm certainly speckled that way. Are you freckled, twinky? You could be speckled *and* spectacled.
twinky
Member # 693

Nope, no freckles to speak of. I was pretty sure we met in the pre-beard, inter-mohawk period but wanted to make sure.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
*has cellphone

I may come either Saturday or Sunday. Undecided as to what day to go to the zoo with my family and my homestay. (they want to take her there)

I'll know more closer to the time. Thanks!

EDIT: It would also be weather-dependant

[ April 08, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
hey all you Toronto-area people. In case you didn't know, I'm going on a trip with my roommate to some eastern cities after the semester ends next month...

We're going to Toronto, and I'd like to find a place for us two to stay. Mackillian is hosting us in Boston.

We'll need lodging for the nights of May 16th & May 17th.

My roommate is a 29 year old exchange student from South Korea learning English here. He teaches high school history and likes breeding cocker spaniels.

We're both very flexible and quiet, we only need a spot on the floor or something.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Temposs, I'm not going to be here, and even in the case that I was here I live in a residence and I have a roomate who might not be too thrilled if two strange people slept on the floor one night.

EDIT: I'm very sorry. [Frown]

[ April 08, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Sorry, Temposs. I'm not in Toronto, and I'll be living in a 9 by 10 foot attic anyway by that time. I don't think we'd all fit! I think there's some youth hostel type places around TO though. I seem to recall one of the universities renting pretty cheap rooms out to students ($25 a night or something like that). You could check that.
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm aware of the hostels, but I'm trying to avoid extra cost if I can. $50 is a lot of money to me!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Unfortunately, I live four hours from Toronto. [Frown]

Jaiden, are you and Pod cool with the Crowne?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey twinky, is there a particular place at the airport that would be good for us to meet? Also, have you looked at any of my pictures? I've checked yours out, but I'm just awful at recognizing people, even ones I know, in public places. Back when you could still meet people at the gate, I once walked right past both of my parents. (true) They followed me down the concourse to the baggage claim, and stood off to the side while I looked around for them. [Blushing] They eventually came up behind me and scared me half to death.

Anyway, lemmee know if you haven't been able to find, oh, one of the dozen or so wedding shots out there or something. [Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

You'll arrive in Terminal 2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to meet you at your gate or if I'll have to go down to the arrivals area past baggage claim. It's been a few years since I was in Terminal 2. If I can get from Terminal 1 (where I arrive) to Terminal 2 without winding up outside security, then I'll check the screens for your gate and wait there. If I get stranded outside security then I'll have to meet you past baggage claim. IIRC, the doors to baggage claim are these big glass sliding doors, so if I'm not at your gate, go to baggage claim and have a peek through the doors to see if you can see me there before getting your bag(s) (if you're going to check bags, that is). Then we can either make our way to the hotel via public transit in a rather roundabout fashion or just cab it, depending on fatigue and laziness levels.

As to spotting me, I can wear something recognizeable like my big silver headphones. That's what I did when I met tt&t in NZ, and it worked out well. [Smile]

I've seen various pictures of you around. I'll be sure to refresh my memory before theh 21st so I don't do what I did at the train station in London -- which was walk right past Jaiden and Pod without even looking at them. Whoops. [Embarrassed] They weren't sure it was me, because I'd cut all my hair off, so they debated for a while and then came and asked me if I was me as I was waiting in line to use the payphone to call them.

<----- not the sharpest brick in the sea

Teshi
Member # 5024

Isn't there an arrivals place where you can stand with a sign and wait for people to come through customs (because ElJay is coming directly from the U.S., right)? Isn't that how most people meet up?
twinky
Member # 693

I have no idea. I can't remember the last time I made an international connection through Pearson. When I said Terminal 1 (domestic travel) was my home away from home I wasn't kidding.

From what little I remember about Terminal 2 back when it was the domestic terminal, the pre-security area is basically a big long hallway. If I wind up out there, I'm just going to look for the American flag that ought to indicate the door from which the Americans will be emerging.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Most (all?) international airports have a door that comes from customs and leads into the terminal proper. If you look around you should be able to find this one door- there will be a bunch of people standing around it staring at it. I can't imagine any airport not having this.

And I think you should make a sign [Big Grin] .

EDIT: This post sounds like I'm all high-and-mighty traveler instructing lowly non-traveler. I know this isn't the case. I know you know what I just told you. However, I still think you should make a sign.

[ April 09, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

I could make a sign. That might be fun... but it might also get me thrown out of the airport. [Razz]

In other news: I bought a clavinova today! *dances*

Teshi
Member # 5024

Erm... don't a lot of people have signs? I know that at Heathrow (or Gatwick) Airport in London, England practically every second person waiting "beyond the doors" has a sign. I thought it was common practice everywhere!

EDIT: A clavinova is an electric piano? Excellent! Although I obviously prefer the real thing, budget-wise that's not possible for people.

A piano is one of the first things I intend to buy when I have a house/room/apartment/space of my own [Smile] .

[ April 09, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Nice! Congratulations. That's what we've got at home at my parents' house. I miss it. I've got a piddly little keyboard here that's not even full size. Does yours have a disk drive for recording? That was my favourite part about ours.
twinky
Member # 693

Teshi: It is. [Smile]

Astaril: Yes, it can record two tracks, but I'm more likely to just hook it up to my computer. When my computer is fully functional again, that is.

[ April 09, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

When I went to Japan with my school, a bunch of the parents had a huge sign that said Welcome Home, Millies! If this is okay, I'm pretty sure a sign like the one you would have would be okay.

This was at Pearson.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Do you play, twinky? Well, obviously you do, but I mean at what level?
twinky
Member # 693

I don't really know how to quantify my level. I've been playing since I was four years old. I did my Royal Conservatory exams up to Grade VIII when I was a teenager and then stopped taking the exams. But I kept playing higher level pieces. When I went to university, though, I didn't have easy access to a piano, so my skills have atrophied somewhat. I linked some stuff here a while back, but none of it is recent.

Edit: Holy crap, that means I've been playing for 20 years. [Eek!]

[ April 09, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Ah yes. I forgot you're one of those serious recording types, aren't you... [Smile] I need to find a cheap way to record myself soon. I've got a friend who's been bugging me for years to send her new music. My old ghettoblaster finally busted, and my nephew's old Fisher Price recorder just isn't up to the job anymore. Do you know if there are relatively inexpensive computer programs/microphones you can get? (And does anyone care that I'm totally derailing this thread?)
Teshi
Member # 5024

Awesome! I love the piano, I love to play it. I have my grade nine but I'm truly not that good.

I know the feeling about not having easy access to a piano. They like to keep the plebs dirty little fingers away from the keys: if you're not in the music department, there's a certain narrow-eyed look they reserve specially for you.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Teshi, aren't you in a residence? Don't most residences have pianos?? Or was I just lucky? (All the small ones at UW have them, and I'd imagine the bigger ones do.)
twinky
Member # 693

I'm a Mac user, so any advice I could offer would most likely be useless to you.

Teshi, you've got to stop it with the self-deprecation. No more of this "truly not that good" business, 'mkay? We agree? Good.

[Razz]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Hmm. Perhaps I'll make researching that a project for the summer.

And Teshi, seriously, listen to the man. "Grade 9" and "not that good" don't belong in one sentence! [Razz]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Hey! I'm actually not that great at piano. Sure, I can play it and all, but it's just not my strength. I wish I was better.

I would love to be able to sight read much better than I can. Until I can do that, until I can play triplets over duplets, I'm not going to be happy with my playing.

I'm not afraid of saying I'm good at something. I can honestly say that I am a pretty good classical singer. If I focused on it, I would be very good. [Dont Know]

[ April 09, 2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
until I can play triplets over duplets
I can't do that well either, you know. So now if you ever hear me or a recording of me, you don't get to accuse me of being good. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

This thread is making me want to play/sing. [Cry] [Grumble]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I'm not very musically inclined, so I'll just rerail the thread...

have we decided zoo vs. CN Tower yet?

Is the zoo on the subway line?

If we decide to do the zoo, I won't be able to come. I'm going to the zoo the day before (saturday) with my homestay, and I wouldn't want her to have to do the same thing two days in the row. I wouldn't mind it personally, but she's only here for two days.

This is not concrete, however. I may be going on the Sunday, in which case I would join you for whatever you're doing on Saturday.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you manage to get your grade 8 without playing triplets over dublets? It's a craaaazy world. Mind you, if you think your skills have atrophied, twink, you haven't suffered through my meat-handed handling of the ole piano lately. And heck, I never learned to play an instrument and sing at the same time, so you're all way ahead of me.

Incidentally, I don't think they'd kick you out for carrying a sign. Heck, when I last needed one taped a sheet of bristol board to a broom stick that had "DAN" written on it in crayon with a big arrow pointing toward my head. Worked brilliantly.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I can understand Teshi and Desdemona not catching on, but you should have realized the sort of "sign" I was thinking of would almost certainly get me expelled from any public place. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.