FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 17)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Take a look at a castle. Any castle. Now break down the key elements that make it a castle. "The Last Castle", SenojRetep
2. Do not shush me, and spare him. Be gone! Go! "A Knights Tale", Vadon
3. The last time that bear ate a lawyer, he had the runs for thirty-three days. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
4. I am NOT the Messiah! "Life of Brian", Nighthawk
5. Such an unusual name, "Latrine." How did your family come by it? "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", Nighthawk
6. Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids. Six String Samurai
7. Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty. "Zoolander", TheGrimace
8. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... "Dr. Strangelove" (I couldn't resist...hehe), Nighthawk
9. If anyone finds this, it means my plan didn't work and I'm already dead. But if I can somehow go back to the beginning of all of this, I might be able to save her. "The Butterfly Effect", SenojRetep
10. How about that? It's a Mexican standoff. Only we ain't got no Mexicans. "Shanghai Noon", Lyrhawn
11. Who do you think kidnapped us, Uraguay or Chad? "Cats and Dogs", Nighthawk
12. He won't bother you if you're in the fetal position... Abort the fetal position! "Without a Paddle", Lyrhawn
13. “In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me. Harvey (Come on people! This is a freaking awesome movie!)
14. At last, you know what it means to hate. Now you're ready to be a king. "Braveheart", Lyrhawn
15. Hallo. Vould you like a roll in ze hay? "Young Frankenstein", Nighthawk
16. I found you half dead crossing the desert alone and you say you are afraid? The Four Feathers
17. What's the décor? Early Mexican brothel? "Chocolat", Vadon
18. Ever since you walked into this room, you've been acting like a self-appointed public avenger! You want to see this boy die because you personally want it, not because of the facts! You're a sadist! "12 Angry Men", Seatarsprayan
19. I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you. "Batman Begins", Nighthawk
20. I'm sorry, I thought you were Triple G. Or are you the Bandit? "Hoodwinked", Lyrhawn

[ August 16, 2006, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
HA! First!

4: Life of Brian
5: Robin Hood: Men in Tights
8: Dr. Strangelove (Go figure...)
15: Young Frankenstein
19: Batman Begins. My first thought was the videogame Gun.

Others I'm not sure about. I'll probably think of one at 3am in the morning and wake up my whole family because of it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk: 5

Maybe I made 'em to easy ...

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
1) The Last Castle (didn't we just have this one?)
9) Memento?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I'm new to this thread, so if some are repeats (which I have no doubt some are), sorry.

SenojRetep: 1

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
10. Shanghai Noon
12. Without a Paddle
14. FREEEEEEDOOOOOMMM!!!!!!

20. Hoodwinked?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
2. A knight's tale
17. Chocolat

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Guess on (9) The English Patient?
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Lyrhawn: 4
Vadon: 2

You're close, Senoj. Probably closer with "Memento" than with "The English Patient".

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

11) Cats and Dogs

The check cashing store I go to has had this movie playing in endless loop for the past several weeks. I'm bloody sick of it. Then, there it is!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Last guess on (9) The Butterfly Effect.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Nighthawk: 6

Very good Nightawk! That was one I wasn't sure anyone would get, as the line is kind of buried in the movie.

Now if anyone gets 6, they will have my unbridled admiration. hehe

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
7 zoolander
9 butterfly effect

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Ahhh, you got it, Senoj.

SenojRetep: 2
The Grimace: 1

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I'm done; looked up the rest. Frankly, I'd be really surprised if anyone else gets the rest, especially the comparatively older ones.
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one got #18, 12 Angry Men. I came in late, I would have gotten 5 others, giving me a score of 6! But would haves don't pay the bills.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I thought that was a pretty obvious one from a pretty famous movie too. Possibly my favorite movie of all time, so I'm glad someone got it [Smile]

SenojRetep: 2
The Grimace: 1
Seatarsprayan: 1

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
CHEATED! Even if I got every unanswered one I would still lose [Frown] Oh well all the ones I knew were taken, Ill stay tuned for the next list.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Alrighty, I'll give it until tomorrow night, then post the answers to the remaining ones. Unless Lyrhawn has some tricks up his sleeve, it looks like Nighthawk has it. Prepare your list!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm pretty sure the having of any tricks in this game is actually called cheating. [Wink]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Alrighty, I'll give it until tomorrow night, then post the answers to the remaining ones. Unless Lyrhawn has some tricks up his sleeve, it looks like Nighthawk has it. Prepare your list!

My list is ready, I guess, but I'll wait until you post your answers.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote that defeat has been conceeded and Nighthawk should post his list so I can take a shot at it before leaving town tomorrow =p
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I vote that defeat has been conceeded and Nighthawk should post his list so I can take a shot at it before leaving town tomorrow =p

Agreed let NH post his list as I need to jet in 3 hours to take a Chinese final!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Ok then. This should be easy...

1) "I thought those I killed deserved to die. Now I believe everbody has the right to live."

2) "I'll tell you one thing, they ain't gettin' the TV." - Mars Attacks! (Ecthalion)

3) "I know now why you cry. But it's something I can never do." - Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Javert)

4) "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me." - Ghostbusters (Dr. Strangelove)

5) "Have you ever let a romantic moment make you do something that you knew was stupid?" - As Good As It Gets (Vadon)

6) "Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the unlimited carnage you are about to witness." - Trading Places (Ecthalion)

7) "If you're so smart, tell me something, how come you go to M.I.T. for 8 years to become a cable repairman?" - Independence Day (BlackBlade)

8) "Anyone who isn't dead or from another plane of existence would do well to cover their ears right about now." - Dogma (BlackBlade)

9) "In the movies, I always played the heroic types. But when the stage lights went out, it was time for drugs, and stupidity, and the coveting of women. Now it's time. Time to be a little of what I had always fantasized of bein' - a hero." - Bubba Ho-Tep (MrSquicky)

10) "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen." - A Clockwork Orange (Javert)

11) "I have had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming." - Blade Runner (Ecthalion)

12) "God is not interested in technology... He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. He's obsessed with making the grass grow and getting rainbows right... Look at what he spends his time on. 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!" - Time Bandits (Seatarsprayan)

13) "You clean, we'll sweep." - Equilibrium (Ecthalion)

14) "Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division." - The Running Man (Javert)

15) "Micro changes in air density, my ass." - Alien (Morbo)

16) "No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser." - North by Northwest (Javert)

17) "I doubt you've ever taken a stupid breath. Don't start now." - L.A. Confidential (Ecthalion)

18) "The ratio of people to cake is too big." - Office Space (TheGrimace)

19) "This is exactly the sort of thing nobody ever believes." - The Adventurers of Baron Munchausen (Morbo)

20) "For me the Internet is just yet another way of being rejected by women." - You've Got Mail (Lyrhawn)

-----------------
Ecthalion - 5
Javert - 4
BlackBlade - 2
Morbo - 2
Lyrhawn - 1
Seatarsprayan - 1
TheGrimace - 1
Dr Strangelove - 1

[ August 18, 2006, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

7) ID4
8) Dogma
3) Star Trek First Contact?

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

18 Office Space?
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
15)Alien
19)Adventures of Baron Munchausun

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

20. You've Got Mail
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
3. Terminator 2!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

10. Clockwork Orange...use of the word "viddy" gives it away [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Updated. Anybody's game so far.

BlackBlade: No on #3; Javert got it.

Vadon
Member # 4561

5) As Good as it Gets...

I need to watch that again. It's just hidden in some box of VHS.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Blast it! I knew some sort of robot said that line, just couldnt figure it out!
Javert
Member # 3076

16 is familiar...is it North by Northwest?
Javert
Member # 3076

OMG, duh, 14 is Running Man...baaaaaad movie, but it's always on.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
11 Bridget Jones' Diary
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I can't believe no one got "Harvey" from my list! That movie should be mandatory viewing. It's freakin awesome. I don't think I know any of these that haven't already been guessed.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Scors updated, Javert's in the lead.

Morbo: no on #11.

I expected this forum to get a lot more answers than you have so far, considering most of the movies fit in to this crowd. Guess there's only a select few that come in here.

And, Javert, you didn't like The Running Man? I mean, it's not Citizen Kane, but still...

Javert
Member # 3076

I read the story before I saw the movie...much better on paper than in the hands of Arnold. Sorry.
Javert
Member # 3076

Oh...I didn't say I didn't like it, just that it's a bad movie. Many a bad movie that I have enjoyed. [Wink]

(/doublepost)

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Oh, I suppose I'll get on the scoreboard. 4 is from Ghostbusters, eh?
Javert
Member # 3076

2) Scary Movie?
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
2. Mars Attacks i believe.
11. Blade Runner
13. Equilibrium
17. La confidential?

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
6 i think just came to me-trading spaces
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
#12 Time Bandits
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

quote:
Originally posted by Ecthalion:
2. Mars Attacks i believe.
11. Blade Runner
13. Equilibrium
17. La confidential?

!

13 was Equillibrium? Gyash dangit I need to watch that movie again. I should have known that, I mean, I used to be able to quote all of Father's beginning speech word for word.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
9) "In the movies, I always played the heroic types. But when the stage lights went out, it was time for drugs, and stupidity, and the coveting of women. Now it's time. Time to be a little of what I had always fantasized of bein' - a hero."
Bubba Ho-Tep
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Nice work, people. Updated!

Ecthalion: Reluctantly, I'm going to give you #6, because I can't bring myself to say a flat out "no", and any comment of partial answer will make it too easy for others.

I'll give #1 an hour or so more. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody gets it; doesn't look like the type of crowd.

Javert
Member # 3076

...my roommate just gave me the answer to number 1. That being said, if I post it, I'll only force a tie...what should I do? I bow to your wisdom, Nighthawk.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Well, I don't know what to do in a tie situation. Who started this thing?

In other threads, such as music quotes threads, I've generally gone the way of the person that hasn't done it before. Right now I don't have the time to plow through 17 pages to see if either one of you did.

Ecthalion got his fifth point by giving a partially correct title; you'd be getting your fifth point through a third party and not from direct, personal knowledge. So I'm still at a loss.

So, if you want to post it and you're correct, I'll make it a coin flip. Call it in the air.

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.