FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 8)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
OR that wasn't the first time the cop had been on that table. I mean, they DID wipe his memory afterward.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, great page-starting post, Dog.

Sheesh.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. Claire's Dad has some link with the FBI.
But he told Matt (when they kidnapped him) that "I don't work for any agency that has initials".

Which, if true, deletes the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Ahem. This is my theory, which is mine."

Starring Lisa as an Elk.... Oh, I'm sorry, Anne Elk. Mrs Anne Elk.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
1. Claire's Dad has some link with the FBI.
But he told Matt (when they kidnapped him) that "I don't work for any agency that has initials".

Which, if true, deletes the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.

FG

But he wouldn't have to work for the FBI to have some link to the FBI. He could have an informant in the FBI. He or a member of his team could be former FBI that still has access to FBI data. Someone that works for him could also work for the FBI (a mole). He could be part of an agency (without initials) that has a working relationship with the FBI. He or a member of his team could have some sort of super powers that allow him to monitor events at the FBI.

There are a very large number of ways that he could have links with the FBI that made him privy to the cops mind reading escapades that morning without actually working for the FBI.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I figured out who Sylar is.

Want to know, or see if you can figure it out? Go back to the episode where they listen to the recording with Sylar's voice. Listen very closely. Then go and watch were Sylar is with Matt. Look closely at his ears. That's the give away.

Do you want to know?

Spoilers

Again

Sylar is actually a lab rat in a mechanical suit bent on world domination

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I really need to see the first two episodes.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Certainly does explain why he's after brains, though.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
On the advice of my brother, I checked this show out. I've really enjoyed it. I like the Lostesque format of the show, and I'm optimistic that the story is actually going somewhere.

It's no surprise that Hiro is so beloved. The real question is this -- who's cooler, geeky Hiro or hero Hiro?

About the pervasive symbol -- I doubt that there will be an explination that will make sense, especially the instances where it was in the pool and the code. I wonder if it's not really supposed to make sense within the context of the story, but is more like a footnote to the viewers to let us know that Hero Powers are at work here.

quote:
I'm still not sure exactly what Ikin's purposes are. One day she is killing the mob guys sent to get the money from Niki, the next day she is screwing Nathan so the mob will consider the debt paid. I really hope they clarify what Ikin's motives are.
When she almost put her heel through the guy's skull, she said something about threating "our" child. As in, the child of Niki and Ikin. I think that Ikin is protecting both Niki and her son.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Certainly does explain why he's after brains, though.

You're all missing the obvious. Sylar is the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz:

Eating someone else's brain is
disgusting, rude and heinous
I realize it's a pain

But it's what I require
For the power I desire
So I'll have to eat your brain

You can call me Mr. Sylar
I hope you know that my lar-
ceny is not in vain

But I need it more than you do
For my supervillain voodoo
So say bye-bye to your brain

... or something like that.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

OR that wasn't the first time the cop had been on that table. I mean, they DID wipe his memory afterward.

quote:
Oh, great page-starting post, Dog.

Sheesh.

Looks like Dog has Niki's split personality power as well. His mirror image name would be a bit presumptuous though.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
When she almost put her heel through the guy's skull, she said something about threating "our" child. As in, the child of Niki and Ikin. I think that Ikin is protecting both Niki and her son.
But wouldn't it also work that it is D.L. (her husband) working THROUGH Niki? Like a possession of her?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Did you read the comic? It's almost certain that his power is just the ability to pass through solid objects.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes -- I saw that. I just didn't know if maybe he had more powers than that. The Niki character is a strange one to figure out.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I wonder what Ockham would have said were he introduced to science fiction, but I think afficianados of the genre know taht Ockham's Razor seldom cuts very deep around here.

Heh. Science fiction can be defined as "multiplying hypotheses unnecessarily."
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And superheroes can be defined as pure fantasy.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why we love it so much.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember what he said in the hotel room "just take the one." It suggests they know that Niki is one of them, but for some reason didn't want her. What is their criteria? Who knows?

Just wanted to point out that Ikin has a tattoo of the strange symbol, while Niki does not. Which is interesting in and of itself. But, considering that the Assistant wears it on his necklace, some people (on the show's official board) are theorizing that Ikin actually works for Claire's dad's organization. Or perhaps that she's been "tagged" by them.

I prefer to go with the latter idea since Claire's dad says to leave her on the bed.

I'm looking forward to tonight so I can get a better idea of who/what she really is all about.

-V

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Didja ever wonder about the strangeness of "normal" Ando having a connection with both Hiro and Niki, or of "normal" Simone having a connection with both Peter and Isaac?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Verloren:
Just wanted to point out that Ikin has a tattoo of the strange symbol, while Niki does not.

Really? I didn't realize that. How cool!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Just wanted to point out that Ikin has a tattoo of the strange symbol, while Niki does not.
When do we discover that?

It's possible that it's just an oversight.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
When do we discover that?

It's possible that it's just an oversight.

Ill have to keep an eye out for it tonight.

edit: I noticed the tattoo on Ikin (They kinda focused on it)last episode but I didnt really NOT see it when I have seen Ikin and Niki in other places.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verloren:
quote:
Remember what he said in the hotel room "just take the one." It suggests they know that Niki is one of them, but for some reason didn't want her. What is their criteria? Who knows?

Just wanted to point out that Ikin has a tattoo of the strange symbol, while Niki does not. Which is interesting in and of itself. But, considering that the Assistant wears it on his necklace, some people (on the show's official board) are theorizing that Ikin actually works for Claire's dad's organization. Or perhaps that she's been "tagged" by them.

I prefer to go with the latter idea since Claire's dad says to leave her on the bed.

I'm looking forward to tonight so I can get a better idea of who/what she really is all about.

-V

That symbol shows up everywhere. Not just in places involving Claire's Dad. I posted a link to some pictures of different places it had shown up throughout the show earlier in this thread.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a picture of it in Sylar's apartment before he fled.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
What time/channel is Heroes on?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Now. NBC.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

She's in on it!
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think this episode was that great. I think Nikki is going to end up being evil. Not that she has any choice in the matter, it's mostly Ikkin doing the evil stuff. DL seems like apretty good guy now that we've met him. I think he'll end up being a major player on the good side, or he'll spend a lot of time trying to save Nikki from herself.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't noticed it mentioned in the last few pages here, but isn't it kind of obvious the symbol is a partial DNA helix?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
DL can walk through walls and Nikki/Ikkin has superhuman strength. What can Micah do?

And those were no more Claire's parents than I am Claire's mother.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I haven't noticed it mentioned in the last few pages here, but isn't it kind of obvious the symbol is a partial DNA helix?

I believe it's been mentioned. It would make sense because the powers that these people have are likely the result of a mutation of some kind in their DNA. What's mainly being discussed is the places that the symbol has been showing up. It obviously has something to do with the "powered" people, but I can't come up with anything further than that.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's been mentioned that Micah is extremely intelligent.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Nikki dead? I mean, DL grabbed her heart.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, he stuck his hand in and it came out at her neck and choked her. At least thats what I thought I saw.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Nikki will not be dead. She will not be evil either. Remember how sad Hiro was about not saving those people? Those are people Nikki killed. He will go back in time and stop her, and the effect will be that she *won't* choose to give into the evil inside her and DL won't kill her.

That is my little prediction. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It looked more to me like his hand was grabbing her heart and his other hand was choking her.

You could clearly see his wrist in her chest, there wasn't enough arm left to continue up her body and still have a hand left to choke her with.

I'm not convinced Niki is evil. All of the others have, it seems, the ability to master their powers. Perhaps she is also able to master when and how Ikin comes out. Maybe she can't control her, but she might be able to control when she is active, and her awareness of what is going on.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, I don't care for Niki or Ikin right now, but I really want to see Micah start using his power.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Ikin is amoral. If that's evil, then she's evil.

But it was funny. I was sitting there explaining things to my partner, who hasn't seen the past few eps. When Eden showed up, I said, "She's bad. Just like they're trying to make Claire's father seem bad, but he's really going to turn out to be good, they're trying to show Eden as being good, but she's going to turn out to be bad."

Next thing, the two of them are in cahoots. And I can't figure out whether they're good or bad, or what constitutes good or bad in this case.

I don't think Niki is dead. But I do think that Ikin is going to kick DL's immaterial arse. Man, she's strong!

beverly
Member # 6246

I can understand not liking Niki. First of all, I have trouble sympathizing with her original decision to borrow money. It is one thing to want the best school for your son, it is another to be irresponsible to try and make it happen. That sort of behavior will come back to bite you.

Secondly, she doesn't trust her husband. She made it clear before he returned that she thinks he's guilty. Perhaps we as the audience are being unfair on this one, but people really do love characters who are trusting and loyal to their spouses to a fault.

But I would love to see her overcome her past mistakes and as Hiro said, "Choose the right path." His second chance will give her a second chance, I am hoping.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I am Claire's mother.

You heard it here first folks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the voiceover spent a lot of time talking about evolution last night. Isn't evolution survival of the fittest? I'm thinking Niki dying is their way of showing us that not everyone's going to make it. (Although I doubt they'll kill off anyone else.)

I want to see Simone flip out on Peter over the painting next week. I wonder if she's already sold it? I loved the exchange between Isaac and Peter. "Don't you know where she is? You painted it?" "So did you." Good stuff.

Best part of the episode? The look on Hiro's face when he heard the him in the future had a sword. He's so adorable.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

He's like a cute puppy.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
I'm thinking Niki dying is their way of showing us that not everyone's going to make it.
I don't believe she's dead. But her character is definately getting complicated, and I'm having a hard time staying with that idea.

I wasn't at all surprised when Eden(?) called Claire's dad, making it apparent they were working together. That was expected.

And the fact that he basically paid people to "act" like Claire's biological parents (did you catch that?) who really weren't, just to alleviate her fears. Then Claire's mom goes and spills the beans about them having tests done for some "genetic disorder" when she was a baby. Poor girl -- she's got a lot on her mind right now.

FG

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Did they establish that they absolutely weren't her biological parents? Cause I thought they might have been, despite their lack of concern.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Anyone care to explain why Ikin didn't just use the 2 million to pay off her debt and send Micah to school?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Did they establish that they absolutely weren't her biological parents? Cause I thought they might have been, despite their lack of concern.
Well, I think it was heavily implied. As he walked them out to the car, they said, "well, I think that went well" and he said something like "I'll call you if more is needed" or something that implied he was in cahoots with them, or that made me feel strongly that this was a ruse. Immediately after that Claire's mom voiced that she was amazed that Claire's dad could find the biological parents, because they had tried and tried when she was a baby, and couldn't find them.

FG

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice that Hiro's power didn't work on Ikkin? At least, that's how I interpreted that scene in the bathroom.

I don't think Hiro's going to go back and save people. I think that little scene was meant to stand as a reminder that having superpowers doesn't mean you'll never lose a fight.

I really wish they were more ambiguous about Claire's dad. The way they are playing him within the show makes it uncertain whether he's good or evil. But then they have all of those commercials with "The face of all evil" plastered under his face, which sort of removes a lot of the suspense.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else notice that Hiro's power didn't work on Ikkin? At least, that's how I interpreted that scene in the bathroom.
That wasn't my interpretation, actually.

It appears as if Hiro's power requires a great deal of concentration, and when he was in the middle of his effort to stop time, the man hit the wall, distracting him. Then Hiro stoop paralyzed by fear as the blood dripped down the door. Then it was over.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone care to explain why Ikin didn't just use the 2 million to pay off her debt and send Micah to school?
This implies that Ikin is motivated to get what's best for Niki, and I don't think that's entirely true. Niki would have been a lot happier without DL going to jail, but Ikin framed him anyway.

I think Ikin wants to protect Micah, but I think she also wants to destroy Niki's life. Perhaps to take over completely when Niki is an empty shell of a person.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I did like that they allowed Hiro's buddy to save him, they've made good use of the idea that sometimes, smarts are more important than superpowers, good to see him accomplish something.

Looked on imdb.com to see if Ali Larter is working on a bunch of movies as per usual, and she has nothing currently in production so that leads me to believe she's not dead. Generally, when movie actors do bits for tv, they either do it long term as a change of pace for whatever reason (James Spader, perhaps James Woods), or they do bit parts for a few episodes for fun or a big pay day. Considering all of Ali Larter's movies have wrapped shooting for '07 and nothing is currently in pre-production for '07 or '08, I'm working under the assumption that her characters alive. Few actors would take a tv role, and potentially shut down their movie careers for months or a year or two only to have the reason they did so get pulled out from under them.

I very much doubt Ali would have taken the role and suspended her movie acting if she was going to get killed off in six episodes unless it was "understood" that she would only do a partial season due to movie committments. Since she has none, i doubt her chracter is dead.

Suffice it to say, love the show. Theyre aren't very many shows that are must see for me, but this has become just that.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.