FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore!
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple empty gas cans for a flotation device, the gas used to burn the docks and ships, and you could float across pretty easy. It isn't rocket surgery, it is a swim, Illian made it with a soccer ball...
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I could probably backstroke it if I had to. The only thing I'd be afraid of is sharks.

White tip sharks are in the Pacific. They're like the guided missiles of the shark world.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Currents, folks, currents.
A narrow channel between two islands would have a strong, river-like current.
I think.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Well wouldn't the current just dump them back at the island? [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe carry them to the other island?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
They're on an island-a lot of old bamboo.. makes for great floatation devices!

As for the Michael's ship going in circles: I think they mentioned the electro-magnetic field encompassing the island. When they blew up the area where they had to push the button every 108 minutes, the field collapsed.. and poof, the compass could work normally without EMF interfering with the poles.

I never have liked sexual scenes in any of my media endeavors. I think it can be 'understood' without wasting film on expose'.

And just for fun; Jack has homo-erotic tendencies! Seriously, put it on mute and watch those scenes between Jack and Sawyer! It makes for amusing television!

The REAL question is?: Who Shot JR? *wink*

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't even need to float or swim across at this point.

"What do you mean you can't go because we're on a different island? Then tell them to take you to a boat and call me when you're off the island. You've got one hour.

Oh, and don't forget to damage the other boats so they can't follow you."

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
It would also leave us with a major incongruity. When Desmond tried to leave the island following a compass course, he ended up back at the Island. When Ben learns that Sayid et al have a sailboat, he says "So let them sail in circles". These contradict Ben's telling Michael to sail a straight compass course and he "will find rescue."

I think they opened a port for Michael and Walt to use. That's why they were specific about the direction. Lacking that, you'll just sail around in circles.

[Edit: er... or what pfresh said.] [/QB]

I'm not saying that Michael and Walt are coming back. I'm saying that unless they give us some explanation for why they were able to leave and others weren't, they are leaving a big plot hole. Heck, the most likely thing to have happened to them, given the quality of the boat, is that they were drowned at sea.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Currents, folks, currents.
A narrow channel between two islands would have a strong, river-like current.
I think.

Perhaps but not definitely and then only during certain phases of the tide. Swimming the channel would definitely be dangerous without a knowledge of the tides, but then staying on the island isn't exactly safe when you already have someone pointing a gun at your head.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it was a pretty action filled episode, but I miss the other Losties.

So why did they bring Juliet to the island? what was it about her work with impregnating that they needed her skills on the island?

the only part of the episode that REALLY REALLY frustrated me was when Jack left Juliet and Ben alone in the room. There is no way in hell I would've left those two in the room alone. Every word they uttered would be spoken in my presence.

http://www.mittelosbioscience.org/

The website of the company that was trying to hire Juliet. Once you go in there right click, and select "block pictures from website".

The projects page is really interesting.

username: jburke
password: rachel

[ February 08, 2007, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/

this guy has posted a bunch of close up images of certain parts of the episode, like all the images in the brainwashing scene.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Projects page is cool. Why block pictures from the website though? I didn't notice anything different with the pictures blocked or un-blocked.

As far as the episode, I don't know what to think about Juliet now. Obviously she's willing to do whatever it takes to get what she feels is necessary done. I wonder how many double and triple crosses she's pulling right now.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mittelos page doesn't work now... rats.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Projects page is cool. Why block pictures from the website though?
The main site navigation doesn't come up for me unless i block those pictures.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible episode... Lost is finally picking up steam (the first six episodes dragged for me).

quote:
So why did they bring Juliet to the island? what was it about her work with impregnating that they needed her skills on the island?
Oh, the Cylons need her in order to... oh, wait.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she impregnated male mice. Maybe Ben wanted to have a baby?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Well, she impregnated male mice. Maybe Ben wanted to have a baby?

Oh it sooo wasn't a tumor....
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: That was my thought when the male mouse impregnation was mentioned.

And we know The Others obsess about children because they keep stealing them.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It made me take a closer look at Juliet's sister, too.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is clear, the world altering project is the disease that caused the 27 year old uterus to look 78, with it loose in the world reproduction would halt and humanity would stop stressing out the eco system, then with the treatment that Juliet cooked up, the group could control who can reproduce, thus controlling the world. It is actually a theme that is thick in recent sci-fi. Still like Star Trek did for space opera Lost is bringing it to the TV for the first time.

[ February 08, 2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Counter Bean ]

Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Juliet's sister Jane from Deadwood? They already had Trixie as a guest star...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Any theories as to why they were brainwashing Carl?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I really wish that site was back up. There are some pretty significant things contained in that website. I'll just throw a spoiler warning and talk about them:

****SPOILERS FOR STUFF THAT I ASSUME WILL COME INTO PLAY LATER IN THE SEASON***

When you go to the projects page on that website and login, it brings up a map of the Island area. Under each Island is a list of things that that particular Island is used for. I don't remember all the specifics...nevermind, found a picture. Probably the biggest bombshell contained in the website:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p267/rapnix_album/Lost/Island.jpg

Here's a site with the whole website displayed as seperate jpegs:

http://lost.rapnix.com/2007/02/07/mittelos-bioscience/

At the bottom is the video that Juliet has in her inbox. it's pretty crazy too.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate (avid fan) had rehearsal and walked in on the middle of Wednesday's episode. He had the most hilarious walk back to his room while he covered his ears and shouted "lalalala" while I tried to give away all the twists in the first half of the episode.

That was fun. And I don't feel bad because we taped it for him.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why but I was surprised that the girl (I forget her name but I always assumed she was the Danielle's daughter and perhaps she is) is Ben's daughter.

The whole idea that Ben's "tumor" was a pregnancy has my brain all wigged out.

Cool links btw.

edit: name change from the mistaken Ethan to the correct Ben [Smile]

[ February 15, 2007, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Ben. Ethan is the guy from the first season who is dead now.

And I still think she's Danielle's daughter. She's either been lied to and told she's Ben's daughter, or Ben is actually her daddy too(unlikely).

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Strider---yep Ben.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they stole her when she was an infant. They could have told her anything they wanted about her parentage.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just assumed after this episode that Ben was Alex's foster father or something (not that we know whether she knows that he's not her real father or whatever).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Do we know if Ben was always one of the Others? Maybe he really is Alex's father. He could have started out with Rousseau's group, stole Alex, and took over as leader of the Others.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Ben told Jack that he had been on the Island all of his life. Of course he could easily have been lying. He's lied about everything else. Still I think its highly unlikely that he is Alex's biological father. Rousseau has sad that she was pregnant when she came to the island and that all the members of her group died. Ben was caught in one of Rousseau's traps. If he had been the father of her child, wouldn't she have recognized him?

There is of course the possibility that all of Rousseau's story is a lie as well. Perhaps she isn't Alex's mother.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

Interesting possibilities. I was under the impression that Rousseau hadn't actually found Ben in her trap yet. I don't imagine that she would have left him there if she had.

Another possibility is that Rousseau is actually working for the Others, either directly or being manipulated by them. Ben in the trap may have been a setup from the start. Perhaps she spent some time in the Wacky Glasses room.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the synopsis episode that came on at 9 and noticed that they didn't mention Michael, Walter, Boone or Shannon at all.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

The website has a synopsis as well, and it also doesn't mention those characters. It only briefly shows Mr. Eco. I think they're leaving out characters who are gone, or in Walt and Michael's case, we probably won't see for a while at least, to keep from confusing new viewers.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been very perceptive with this show, so I don't notice very much, especially Easter eggs. There are a few things I was lucky enough to notice from this season, though.

When he was imprisoned by The Others, Jack asked if The Others were trapped, too, just like the survivors were. Ben never answered that challenge. I know that Ben is not a forthcoming person, but he has eventually revealed some truth to Jack, such as his tumor and his real name. Revealing the entire nature of their being thereis a different animal. I think they are trapped, Julia's flashback notwithstanding.

The new boy's name is Karl, like Karl Marx. The Others appear to live in a Communist-style setting (with the punishments that go with it). This is just one more instance of people being named after philosophers whose ideas are on the show.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

The Survivors seem to outnumber the Others, so the losses of still more of them further shifts the balance of power. Also the mask is off the Others, they are not some mysterious force any longer, leaving us with only the mysterious force to be a mysterious force...
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Best episode for a very long time.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sad episode!

I still feel like I am missing gigantuan pieces of this puzzle! I missed last week's show.

Ben's tumor was a baby?!?!? WHAT?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Ben's tumor was a baby?
??
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

Charlie is leaving! Sinking Boat boat anyone? Is that kind of whiskey was that and where do I get a shot?
Lisa
Member # 8384

Charlie may be going to die, but this is a show where an entire season can take place over a month or less. I wouldn't say goodbye to him any time soon.
Scott R
Member # 567

Does anyone see a connection between the people who have died on this show?

The pilot
Boone
Shannon
Ana-Lucia
Hurley's girl (the psychologist?)
Eko
Ethan
The guy Ana-Lucia stabbed.

Strider
Member # 1807

I have mixed feelings about the episode. I really enjoyed it. The Desmond back story was great, even if we did see one a bit altered by the explosion/island. But because the episode focused so much on the back story, practically nothing happened in present time. No interaction with Losties, no island stuff...nothing. And I miss it.
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm also excited for next week. What do you think happened to those original survivors who where taken? Crazy clockwork orange brainwashing room?

Scott, Libby was her name. And I think I'm more interested in her back story than anyone else's. I really hope it gets told properly. That and how Locke lost his power to walk.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Mind you it was 2AM when I was watching and I was half-asleep, but I really liked this week's episode. The whole struggling to change things and make it work out better and then realizing you really can't do that. It made me really feel for Desmond. As for Charlie dying soon, as someone else pointed out the way the seasons work and all it doesn't have to be this season or next season or anytime real soon in regards to the show for it to be soon within the context of the show. So Charlie could be around for quite a while still.

One question I had: would Charlie have remembered the encounter with Desmond in the redone past? I mean I could see forgetting him and just writing him off as some crazy drunk or something, but I'd think when you encounter him later and he's also acting sort of odd that it might kick start something in the memory (like "Oh, he looks familiar" or something). Then again, there could be explanations for why Charlie doesn't remember.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:

One question I had: would Charlie have remembered the encounter with Desmond in the redone past?

I don't think the past was actually redone. I looked at this weeks flashback more as a dream/hallucination brought about by the island that closely told the actual events that transpired in real life.

The biggest thing going against that course of events is that it would put Desmond in an infinite loop that he would never escape from(think groundhog day). He would never make it past the failsafe in the time line. Also, if it all really happened, then Desmond's whole time on the island then becomes inconsistent. Why was he not able to ever predict future events till after he flipped the failsafe? if he was able to predict events BEFORE he got the island and then AFTER the failsafe. The last thing is that he was returned to consciousness after he was hit with the bat.

Like I said, I think that whole flashback was just a dream...his life flashing before his eyes...but one affected/altered by the island and whatever force was released when the failsafe was flipped. Which after it happened, left him with this power.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I guess. The thing that bothers me with that though is that for the few things he did change (talking to his physics friend in the pub, the discussion with the ring dealer, and all) was his mind just making it all up? Was the ring dealer telling him about the whole "you can change it (people dying, etc.), but it'll just happen again in a different way soon" just the island or whatever trying to explain the limits of his new power?
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

quote:
Does anyone see a connection between the people who have died on this show?
DUI's and hard partying in Hawaii?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Ben's tumor was a baby?
??
Read the preceding posts.
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's hard because the post in question misidentified Ben as Ethan.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.