FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes: II (Page 11)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Heroes: II
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
It does. But I still wonder how he managed to talk to him after he was dead.

Well, no one knows what happens after death. If he can enter into people's dreams, maybe his consciousness is just chillin' out in other people's minds even though his body is dead.

Or maybe Peter imagined it, and it wasn't true communication.

Or maybe he's an angel.

I still don't believe Sylar has the Shanti Virus. The virus has more side-effects than simple loss of powers. It makes people physically sick, and from my understanding, kills them pretty quickly. Sylar has been alive too long without powers and has yet to show other symptoms. I still maintain that brain-damage made him lose his powers.

I'm not sure when Claire's power manifested, but I recall the company saying that Noah only got to keep her until her powers manifested, at which point she would return to the company. I don't think she had her abilities at birth.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
quote:
Just because Claire survived a fire as a baby
Actually, Claire survived because her father (HRG, not Nathan) removed her from the burning building. At least, that's what happened in the comic book version -- he and Claude went to bag-and-tag Claire's mother, and she set the place on fire. He had to rescue Claire.
We don't know exactly when Claire manifested her powers. We do know that she first became aware of them last season. We do know that Matt first manifested his mind reading ability the day he found Molly in hiding in the closet. We know that Ted first manifested his radioactivity as an adult. Hiro first manifested his ability in the shows premier. Nathans ability to fly seemed to appear . So we know that many peoples abilities don't manifest until they are adults. We also know that Micah and Molly, who I would estimate to be around 10, have abilities that have already manifested.

Bottom line is that peoples genetic abilities can manifest themselves in childhood or adulthood and seem to get stronger over time. Adams ability may very well have manifested only shortly before he was hit with the arrow. I wonder if the powers manifest naturally as part of the maturation process which is just a bit different in every individual or if there is some environmental stimulus that causes the abilities to manifest.

Has anyone else noticed that Adam's ability seems to be a bit different than Claire's. When Claire was shot, she collapsed and it took her sometime to recover. She had to spit out the bullet before she was fully OK. When Adam was run through with a sword, he seemed just fine even with the sword sticking straight through him.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It does. But I still wonder how he managed to talk to him after he was dead.

I don't think he was talking to Charles Deveaux after he was dead. Peter had traveled back in time and was talking to him in the past.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Adam seems more powerful, yep.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wonder if the powers manifest naturally as part of the maturation process which is just a bit different in every individual or if there is some environmental stimulus that causes the abilities to manifest."

An environmental stimulus like, say, a lethal wound on a guy whose latent power is recovering from such a thing?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you guys are reading too much into the Adam vs Claire regeneration thing. I think they're identical in power. In Claire's case with the shooting, it was important to the story that she get out of sight of Ted before she regenerated, so they made as if it would take a while. In Adam's case getting run through, they just wanted him to have a chance at a witty one-liner (something like "I know, it's really unfair."). Besides, Adam didn't get up right away after he was shot with Arrows. It probably has more to do with the Shock of the incident than the actual injury. If they KNOW what's going to happen, then they can probably ignore the initial reflex of falling or whatever.

Edit: Oh, about the Dueveax (sp?) thing. I think his is the dream power, just like that kid in India that Mohinder and his father consulted. The interaction with Peter after his death is just another effect of the power.

What I'm REALLY wondering is what Mrs. Petrelli's, and Bob's powers are. I'm wondering if maybe they hinted at something when Peter regained his memories of her (did he get his OTHER memories back too?) after he met with her in the future.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
An environmental stimulus like, say, a lethal wound on a guy whose latent power is recovering from such a thing?

[Big Grin]

I was speculating about something more general. Perhaps a case of the flu, exposure to a chemical, an ionic storm, a heat wave, or perhaps an solar eclipse. I think the question is relevent because so many of our Heroes first started exibiting powers about 6 months before the pilot episode. Its worth noting that there was a total solar eclipse about that time, March 29, 2006 and there was a solar eclipse in ancient Japan before Adam/Kensei began exibiting powers.

I recognize that there is no logical reason for evolution of a trait that is triggered by an eclipse, but I think that point is as moot as the point that no genetic mutation could logically cause someone to exploid like a nuclear bomb, defy gravity, read minds or stop the flow of time.

Phanto
Member # 5897

slvrdragon: Both claire and Peter can not recover if an object is in them. The samurai dude does it effortlessly.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Bob turns things into gold. He's "private funding" for the Company.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
Random comment: It's a little off putting when your name suddenly finds a way into (pretty much) the only television show you try to watch every week.

What's your name?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, Bob turns things into gold. He's "private funding" for the Company.
I'd be very surprised if this was the limit of his power. I'd imagine all sorts of molecular transformations are within his skill. This would make his power go from underwhelming to devastatingly powerful.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Pure speculations:

It seems that many of the powers start out relatively small and then grow into something bigger. Do you suppose that this is true with all of the powers? If so, do you think that the powers reach some plateau or just keep expanding? If Adam really has been alive for hundreds of years, how might his powers have grown over that time?

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Rabbit, I imagine it would. I mean, one of the themes is evolution, right? For evolved powers to evolve more is only fitting.

Xavier, so you're saying he has the same power as that Zane guy? The one who could liquefy things? It'd be interesting if he could change molecular composition just by touch. Very devastating indeed.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bob's power is just to change elements, not molecular composition.
I know that other people's powers seem to evolve, but I just don't see how healing can really go any further, other than work faster.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost up to where people say the second season starts to get its act together.

I'm hardly even watching it at this point. I just do homework with the show playing in the background and look over occasionally when it hits some parts.

There's no doubt about it.

Heroes was sucking.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
AUGHHH, bad news.

Kring was planning on rewriting the season finale to go along with the whole "we're not as bad writers as you thought" thing... because of the strike he isn't rewriting it. Ughh.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I currently see nothing wrong with the show, your all crazy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Bob's power is just to change elements, not molecular composition.
But if you change all the Oxygen in water to Nitrogen, wouldn't the molecular composition be changed?

It may be that Bob can only do this for "pure" elements. We've seen him change a fork though. I'd imagine that fork was some form of Aluminum composite. If it was Silver, I could buy that.

It still makes his power pretty impressive.

quote:
Xavier, so you're saying he has the same power as that Zane guy? The one who could liquefy things?
That guys power was so lame, in the way it was presented. "I can turn metal into a puddle on the floor". If I were Sylar, I'd debate even bothering to take it.

Kind of like Bob's power though, we can probably extract a greater power from the demonstrated ability. It was almost like he could change the state of matter from solid to plasma temporarily. Those puddles went back to solid on the floor, right?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Zane's demonstrated ability was a subset of what Bob can do.

Edit:
From the Heroes Wiki:
quote:
* The name "alchemy" comes from Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite, who used the term to decribe Bob's power in a CBR Q&A interview.
* Though Bob has only been seen to turn an ordinary spoon into gold, Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite confirmed that he can transmute materials into substances other than gold.

[ November 09, 2007, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Zane's power was not lame (although the way it was presented made it seem kind of useless). When Sylar grabbed Hiro's sword last season, he chose to freeze it and break it. I really expected him to just liquefy it. Same thing when he was stabbed. I guess that wouldn't have helped him to live, and would have ruined an important object in the story, but seeing the shock on someones face as their sword turns into a worthless puddle would be priceless.

Also, it would be fun to just walk up to a tank or building or other object made primarily of metal and just... liquefy it.

On the floor of his room, we saw a partially liquefied plastic phone, and Sylar melted all of a toaster pretty quickly, so I don't think his power was limited just to metal. Not that it matters, he's dead and Sylar can't use his power anymore.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa... My name's Caitlin.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't everybody's?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:

I know the feeling, my name's Adam.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time my first name has ever come up was when we watched a documentary on the Donner party in school. Since my first name is pretty unique, it stood out for everyone there and so I got a lot of comments for several years on that. And the name technically wasn't the same as mine. I add a pronounced e so there is a whole syllable different.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I only get a mention when Maureen McCormick does a cameo on a sitcom.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

What's your name, Scholar.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
edit name out because I am being neurotic about not being searchable in any way

[ March 18, 2008, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: scholar ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is David. It was very uncomfortable watching A.I.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Not many people seem to use the name Anthony for their characters on television.

So I don't but rarely get this problem.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Except when you listen to Billy Joel.
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about Bob turning that fork to gold. Thanks for the reminder.

To clarify (no pun intended), Peter and Claire weren't able to regenerate when something was lodged in their BRAINS, not necessarily in them period.

As per the Sylar discussion regarding the right power at the right time; it seems that neither he, nor Peter have any CLUE which power is appropriate to use at what time. Of course... once Peter got Hiro's power, everything else just became a luxury. Well, I suppose Matt's and Invisible Man's (forgot his name) are good for gathering real-time information, but as far as Offense and Defense go, you don't really need anything more than the ability to control time and space...

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there was a movie and book that were slightly awkward... but more awkward is telling people that I spell my name like the movie and getting blank stares in return.

Do people really not know the movie "Carrie"?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Crazy high school dance massacre by supernatural angry girl, right? Stephen King?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
Isn't everybody's?
Glenn? I thought you were a guy. <grin>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's short for Glennda, and Caitlin is her middle name. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a sam, I am greatly exposed to my name in zillions of shows and movies and I thought I was immune to the effect.

Err, but having hobbits constantly yell my name was sorta unnerving.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Not many people seem to use the name Anthony for their characters on television.

Tony Danza uses it all the time.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I called it:

quote:
I'm just wondering if the rules of the paintings is that they have to come true, just not in the way we expect them to.
From TV Guide:

quote:
"Every painting we've had on Heroes has come true," says the show's creator, Tim Kring. "But don't forget, sometimes the true meaning of a painting has been misinterpreted."
Which means that in each case we shouldn't be expecting anyone to change the future, instead we should be guessing how the painting is misinterpreted.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

Yes, I seem to recall Hiro standing in front of what appears to be a live dinosaur, in the wild, holding a sword. Only when that painting came true, Hiro wasn't in the wild, and the dinosaur was just a replica.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
What really makes me nervous is the fact that there's an actress with a full name that sounds like mine. She spells it wrong, but I'm going to be in for a lot of headaches if she becomes too famous.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
My name's Jenny, and I have long fair hair, and the Forrest Gump jokes never, ever, ever seem to get old. Ever.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

There was a black gospel singer who essentially had my name and then got shot dead while naked in a hotel hallway. But that was in the 70's so I don't get the headaches I otherwise would.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I actually found someone online with my name. For the first time ever. I thought I was the only one in the world. There was even a picture. Thank goodness there was no resemblance.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Hey! I called it:

quote:
I'm just wondering if the rules of the paintings is that they have to come true, just not in the way we expect them to.
From TV Guide:

quote:
"Every painting we've had on Heroes has come true," says the show's creator, Tim Kring. "But don't forget, sometimes the true meaning of a painting has been misinterpreted."
Which means that in each case we shouldn't be expecting anyone to change the future, instead we should be guessing how the painting is misinterpreted.

If Tim Kring said that, then he's got a serious problem with the paintings of the nuked New York. Unless you count the alternative future episodes, the nuked New York hasn't come true. There are probably some others too, like the painting of Nathan as POTUS.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
If Tim Kring said that, then he's got a serious problem with the paintings of the nuked New York. Unless you count the alternative future episodes, the nuked New York hasn't come true. There are probably some others too, like the painting of Nathan as POTUS.

There was no painting of Nathan as POTUS. There was a painting of Sylar, using the powers he must have stolen from Candice to make himself look like Nathan, as POTUS.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
My name's Jenny, and I have long fair hair, and the Forrest Gump jokes never, ever, ever seem to get old. Ever.

I think if people continuously pronounce your name "JenNAAAaaaay!" you have implicit permission to go on a homicidal rampage.

Avoid Seattle, though, if you can. Thanks!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

There was no painting of Nathan as POTUS. There was a painting of Sylar, using the powers he must have stolen from Candice to make himself look like Nathan, as POTUS.
Whatever. It still hasn't happened except in the alternative timeline and doesn't appear likely to happen on this time line.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My first and last name are encapsulated in the famous author Barbera Taylor Bradford's name. It was weird the first time I saw a book by her.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

There is a moderately famous Welsh pop/rock singer who goes by my name. (I was given the name as a baby and she assumed it as an adult. I think she should have to pay me royalties for the use of my name.)

She is much better known in Germany and the UK than in the US. When I'm in Germany during the summers I always get a dozen or more comments about my name and the singer. In the US, people make the connection far less often.

Phanto
Member # 5897

I think it's cheap for you to be able to paint the future -- only alternative futures. I mean, in theory anything could happen, so the whole power is worthless. It must actually be that you paint what is most likely to become the future.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Agreed Phanto. The whole point of saying that every painting comes true is the implication that once events have been painted they can't be changed. If they happen on an alternative time line, then clearly they can be changed.
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.