FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 6 (Page 8)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Lost Season 6
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, the idea that Faraday wasn't there to tell them to bury it does give the timeline some play. The fundamental idea that the bomb didn't get buried and was still available to the Others leaves it there through whenever New Otherton got built.

The detonation could have replaced the Purge. Or replaced the Truce. Or happened at any other point in the island's history, since Faraday wasn't there to take it out of play.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Faraday is only not there to tell them to bury it based on a certain assumption about the way alt time works. Whether two timelines diverged at the point of the nuke, or whether this is a completely independent time line, or whatever...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
More and more I'm starting to believe the time reset will happen, but has not happened yet. I think all of the flash sideways stories are the epilogue of the series, but that they are just showing it to us throughout the season.

As for Jughead, there would have had to have been some sort of evacuation at some point, as Dogen, Ben, and Ethan are all off of the island. It could be argued that they never were on the island, but Ethan was born on the island and it is believed that Dogen has been on the island as long as Richard has.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It could be argued that they never were on the island, but Ethan was born on the island and it is believed that Dogen has been on the island as long as Richard has.
Ethan could have been born somewhere else - certainly he seems a lot more normal in the other universe.

I haven't noticed any clues so far about Dogen's immortality - he's an interesting, quirky character, but apart from Hurley's lines about him being a samurai (I don't think Hurley has any great insight into these matters) he seems like another mortal group leader.
He hasn't turned up in any of the past time-travelling or flashbacks yet.

I think Ethan would have been off the island for the bomb in 1977, or in the 1950s not born yet, and Dogan might not have arrived yet.
It's Ben having been evacuated that suggests that Sayid never travelled back to shoot him.

I quite like the epilogue idea, but somehow, I also feel like it would render everything that had happened somewhat irrelevant.
They might as well have stepped out of the shower.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

quote:
As for Jughead, there would have had to have been some sort of evacuation at some point, as Dogen, Ben, and Ethan are all off of the island. It could be argued that they never were on the island, but Ethan was born on the island and it is believed that Dogen has been on the island as long as Richard has.
I'm not sure what the explanation for this is, but I am sincerely hoping it will involve lots of scenes with Ethan's mom.

I miss Michelle. 24 stinks on ice this season.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdest. Lost. Ever.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and that says something.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kanelock1
Member # 12230

- posted      Profile for kanelock1   Email kanelock1         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a theory. when Sayid killed Dogan, where did he do it at? The spring. Why? Maybe He is hoping that Dogan will be brought back by the water, and that he is really working an angle on Flocke? Any thoughts?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a really bizarre episode and one that I will have to watch several times I think to even figure out what happened! Its almost too weird. I feel like we aren't getting a story anymore but rather some randomly strung together events.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will make more sense when we know why FLocke is gaming everyone. He should have killed Kate because she was in the temple, but she hid well. He seemed displeased to see her when she exited the temple with FLocke's crew. She's an insider now and can compromise him.

I'm thinking that Jack is more important than ever now, and will work with the person who is coming to the island. The lighthouse isn't as important as getting Jack to understand what he needs to do, but it needs to be his choice.

The old Losties are all still meeting each other by chance in the flashsideways. I don't think it's an epilogue. I think they are still destined to meet, and the two timelines will converge at some point. Of course, meetings at the airport are expected, but Sayid and Jin at Keamy's Bar and Grill? I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacob show up in the altline.

BTW, it was pretty cool to see Keamy and Omar back, even though they probably aren't going to be in any more episodes.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I think this is meant to be the episode where we start doubting the flash-sideways stories might be a happy ending for everybody. Sure, things are working out with Jack and Locke, but Nadia's married to Sayid's brother? Jin in mortal peril, from Sayid, no less?

I think setting off the bomb was the Losties painting with a VERY broad brush, and while we started with little deviations in the premeire, we're going to see that the implications went WAY outside the lines they'd intented, with serious consequences.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice that, counting only the "candidates", it is now 3 vs. 3? Locke, Sawyer, and Sayid are on the dark side, while Jack, Sun/Jin, and Hurley are on Jacob's side.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
Anyone else notice that, counting only the "candidates", it is now 3 vs. 3? Locke, Sawyer, and Sayid are on the dark side, while Jack, Sun/Jin, and Hurley are on Jacob's side.

No. Locke's dead not on the dark side, so there are only 5 candidates left. Sun and Jin are still totally unknown. Jack's still on the fence. I'm still betting that Sawyer is conning Esau, but we shall see.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Since the Lighthouse episode we now have confirmation that Kate is also a candidate. She was number fiftysomething(i think 51) and her name was not crossed out on the lighthouse dial.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked this episode a lot. It didn't offer a concrete explanation of anything but it sure as hell moved the plot forward.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:Sure, things are working out with Jack and Locke, but Nadia's married to Sayid's brother?
Big Problem. Omar was one of the mercenaries on Widmore's boat. He helped Sayid and others board the ship. It seems strange Sayid wouldn't have recognized his brother then. And having people who weren't brothers be brothers on an alt time line stretches believability too far.

quote:
Jin in mortal peril, from Sayid, no less?
I saw it as Jin being rescued from mortal peril by Sayid. We shall see. This one has me very curious. How did Jin get from being detained by customs and immigration to being held captive by mafia characters. But since next weeks episode is titled "Dr Linus", we may have to wait a few more weeks for the answer.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I am finding myself less satisfied with the alt-time sections. They seem to be less about a believable alt-time and more about a "let's see how many characters we can mash together for fun." I hope that they have a satisfying explanation about what it is, if it isn't actually an alternate timeline.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Rabbit, I think Omar and Omer are two different people. I think Omar was one of the guys with Keamy in the kitchen.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Rabbit, I think Omar and Omer are two different people. I think Omar was one of the guys with Keamy in the kitchen.

Yup, My bad.
Strider
Member # 1807

Lost characters explain how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Link.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little dated, but still funny. Particularly the one for Desmond.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

My favorite is claire. "Hmmmm.... peanut butter!"
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Jack should have given the ingredients a pep talk.

"You can either be eaten together, or go moldy and rancid alone!"

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Presumably, Jacob brings everyone to the Island but its interesting that there are people like Dogen and Illana who Jacob meets and "persuades" to come to the Island and those like our Losties and Rousseau who are brought to the island against their will.

I wonder if anyone on flight 815 had made a deal with Jacob before coming to the island. That might explain why the kidnapped losties were so content staying with the others.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Its too bad that Faraday didn't show up in the music conservatory. I like the idea of an alt timeline where he become a musician and that would have been the perfect place do it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
My favorite is claire. "Hmmmm.... peanut butter!"

That's actually the main one I thought was dated. A more current Claire would be, "WHERE IS MY PEANUT BUTTER?!!! GIVE ME MY PEANUT BUTTER OR I'LL KILL YOU!!!"
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

Hmm, Locke is now a substitute teacher in a high school in the altline. Arzt is a high school teacher. What are the chances Arzt teaches in the same school?
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
But since next weeks episode is titled "Dr Linus", we may have to wait a few more weeks for the answer.

Can I request spoiler alerts on the names of titles of episodes not yet aired?
It's thrilling to be completely spoiler free (avoiding promos and titles) and I suggest everyone else do the same who have the self control and think it would be fun. Knowing less going into each episode of the final season ensures more enjoyment during discoveries possibley revealed.
*I forgive you guys for letting me know this one title without an alert since I never asked before*

I guess I should have put a spoiler alert on my own post! [Embarrassed]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

LargeTuna, I don't mean to give you any trouble, but I don't think posters should be required to put spoiler alerts when speculating on future episodes based off of tv commercials and officially released stuff from ABC. Names of titles might be easy to do, but to properly label every speculation based off content from a commercial could be extremely difficult.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy for me to avoid actually knowing if what everyone says is based on the promos or just speculation, so I'm not worried. And I usually skim a post because if someone says "I saw in the preview" then I can skip it. I didn't even think about asking for alerts for those since that would be a hassle.

It's a risk I take by going on a forum.

I'm generally just talking about labeling title names with spoilers [Big Grin] (I hope that would be easy? I'm not sure)

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

sure, I have no problem labeling episode title names. I think you're protecting yourself a little TOO much, but the effort required for me to comply is minimal. [Smile]
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
So it would be a bad idea to mention here that the Series Finale is being titled "It was all just Locke's dream: There is no island"?

Okay... just kidding.... maybe....

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the season finale would be called

"Our Cash Cow is coming to an end"

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I thought it was going to be titled, "You're were right, we have been making it up as we go all along."
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the cast list for the final episode and Patrick Duffy and Victoria Principal are in it...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
sure, I have no problem labeling episode title names. I think you're protecting yourself a little TOO much, but the effort required for me to comply is minimal.
I actually think that in many cases, the "officially spoilered" stuff is more than enough to ruin the show. I screwed up the last 6 episodes of Avatar for myself this way.

I don't think "Doctor Linus" is a particularly spoilertastic name (I don't mind knowing which characters are going to be the focus of an episode), but things like the "On the next episode of LOST!" clips can be pretty detrimental to my enjoyment of a show. (On "Flash Forward," they pretty gave away the surprise of the next episode every time).

docmagik
Member # 1131

Yeah, the marketing department has a very different job than the writers, directors and actors.

I remember the jacket copy for the hardback of Treasure Box by Orson Scott Card giving away pretty much every single twist in the book.

And don't get me started about previews for Robert Zemekis movies--and he HAS control.

I will warn everyone, though, that spoilers for the last couple of episodes are out there, and you're going to want to start being careful.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I thought it was going to be titled, "You're were right, we have been making it up as we go all along."

They may have been at the beginning, but I don't think there's any doubt that they've known exactly where they're going for all of this season, and probably the previous one.
The Reader
Member # 3636

The "trapped in cages" story line from season three was certainly made up to fill time when the writers didn't know where they were going. Not coincidentally, that was probably the most boring part of the show.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw the cast list for the final episode and Patrick Duffy and Victoria Principal are in it...
Well, Patrick Duffy was the Man from Atlantis.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I was perturbed when they brought in a 'second island'..

I feel like they knew what the full concept of the show was, and how they wanted stuff to go down in the end, and they already knew some of the stuff they were going to approach (with the whole time jumping thing) - but then they go to a point where they had to start wrapping things up or start making filler episodes/seasons, and they tried the 'filler' thing and didn't like how it took away from the integrity of the show so they started planning an exit strategy- and are obviously delivering.

Filler episode I hate the most:
The one where Sawyer enlists Hugo to help him catch the noisy frog.

What the last episode's title should be:
Land Of String Theory (LOST)

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

I was perturbed when they brought in a 'second island'..

I feel like they knew what the full concept of the show was, and how they wanted stuff to go down in the end, and they already knew some of the stuff they were going to approach (with the whole time jumping thing) - but then they go to a point where they had to start wrapping things up or start making filler episodes/seasons, and they tried the 'filler' thing and didn't like how it took away from the integrity of the show so they started planning an exit strategy- and are obviously delivering.

Filler episode I hate the most:
The one where Sawyer enlists Hugo to help him catch the noisy frog.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:

[ROFL]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm alone when I say that the filler episode I hate the most is the one with Niki and Paolo.

A close second was the stupid flash forward/flashback when Sun has her baby.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I liked the Sun episode until I figured out that the flashback was just a flashback with no relation to the flash forward, and with no particular cleverness attached to it. (Afterwards I didn't DISLIKE it, there's episodes I hate far more, but I wasn't as impressed).

The episode I dislike the most is the one where Charlie lights some stuff on fire or something (can't remember exactly what, but it was dumb of him). It was just painful to watch.

I had no problem with the Niki and Paolo episode on account of it was hilarious.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
I don't think I'm alone when I say that the filler episode I hate the most is the one with Niki and Paolo.

I heard that they're bringing Nikki and Paolo back, and that they have a crucial role in figuring out what the Island is.
docmagik
Member # 1131

I know it's cliche to hate it, but I hate the flashback with Jack's tatoos.

And I totally agree about the flashforward/flashback with the Kwons. That was a total cheat of a pointless twist.

Niki and Paolo I didn't mind so much. I only caught up on the DVDs in time for season 4, so I totally missed out on being part of the online hate for them.

I think also, though, that all of us has a character or two we're not as interetsed in, so episodes about them sometimes feel like "filler" for us, personally, while we're waiting to get back to "our" people.

Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
I had no problem with the Niki and Paolo episode on account of it was hilarious.
I agree with Raymond. And my sense is that it wasn't the Nikki and Paolo episode that people were unhappy with, as much as NIKKI AND PAOLO who people were unhappy with.

The episode where they're killed off was actually a really good episode I thought. I thought it was really interesting to have these two sort of present for all the important stuff on the Island(or discovering it themselves earlier) but being so wrapped up in themselves that they don't care about anything else. I thought Artz's lines in that episode were hilarious(The PIGS are WALKING!). The twilight zoneish ending was masterful. And in general, the narrative structure of the episode, following two individuals subjective experience of the Island from start to finish, I thought was really engaging.

I usually dislike Kate episodes, particularly post Island Kate episodes. Some of my least favorite episodes of the last few years were Kate episodes(eggtown and this year's Kate episode come to mind).

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Did anyone else think that Sayid going off and doing just what Dogen told him to was not very Sayid-like at all? I mean, he knew Dogen wanted him dead and then he's just going to go and kill not-Locke because Dogen tells him that's how he can prove he's really a good person? Huh? Sayid?

I have no idea what his motivations were in killing Dogen. Revenge? Convinced/brainwashed/possessed by Man in Black? Is he really Sayid anymore at all?

Pepek
Member # 3773

yeah. the end of Niki and Paulo was fantastic.

it's the perfect 'love to hate' episode.
---

And yeah, Sayid seemed a bit hasty, but SmLockey the Bear was suppose to be a corpse. I may've stabbed him out of fear myself.

I think on island Sayid and AltFlash-Sayid both came to the same conclusion, that they don't deserve 'redemption' because they are who they are, and they are killers.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.