Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 11)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so it's five hundred.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the record then? Somehow, I don't think so.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Things I like to eat while writing:

cherries
chocolate
prosciutto
cashews
strawberries
toast. with jam.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited May 04, 2009).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For me:
  • Low Salt Lays Potato Chips and Ranch Dip
  • Hand-cut wedges of Block Cheese (Muenster, Colby-Jack, Sharp Cheddar, Habanero or Jalapeño)
  • Peanut Butter and Whole Grain Ritz
  • Rice Crispies

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally avoid eating while writing these days...but, when I must, it's usually a (small) bag of potato chips, or sometimes a bowl of cut watermelon.

It wasn't always like this...though it's never been easy to prepare a decent meal while also sitting at my typewriter / word processor / computer.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice cream.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently become addicted to caramel shortbread... so that's mostly what I munch on (and McVities digestives).

I once made the mistake of eating a bagel with spreadable cheese on it. The cat, in her attempt to steal my breakfast, smacked my bagel with her paw, then walked all over the keyboard, getting cheese EVERYWHERE.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait Kitti, you're in London and you don't remember any of the kids shows I listed?? Are you an American werewolf in London?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Dr. Pepper, Dove Dark chocolate and anything munchie with a lot of salt and a lot of fat.

Did I say I've gained weight while writing?

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
mostly I eat chilli cheese fries when I write.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

A joke I just HAD to share (Rommel will love this one):

Katie Couric , Charlie Gibson , Brian Williams and a tough old U.S. Marine Sergeant were captured by terrorists in Iraq.

The leader of the terrorists told them he'd grant each of them one last request before they were beheaded and dragged naked through the streets.

Katie Couric said, 'Well, I'm a Southerner, so I'd like one last plate of fried chicken.'

The leader nodded to an underling who left and returned with the chicken.

Couric ate it all and said, 'Now I can die content.'

Charlie Gibson said, 'I'm living in New York, so I'd like to hear the song, The Moon and Me, one last time.'

The terrorist leader nodded to another terrorist who had studied the Western world and knew the music. He returned with some rag-tag musicians and played the song.

Gibson was satisfied.

Brian Williams said, 'I'm a reporter to the end. I want to take out my tape recorder and describe the scene here and what's about to happen. Maybe, someday, someone will hear it and know that I was on the job till the end.'

The leader directed an aide to hand over the tape recorder and Williams dictated his comments.

He then said, 'Now I can die happy.'

The leader turned and said, 'And now, Mr. U.S. Marine, what is your final wish?

'Kick me in the a**,' said the Marine.

'What?' asked the leader, 'Will you mock us in your last hour?'

'No, I'm NOT kidding. I want you to kick me in the a**,' insisted the Marine.

So the leader shoved him into the yard and kicked him in the a**.

The Marine went sprawling, but rolled to his knees, pulled a 9 mm pistol from inside his cammies and shot the leader dead. In the resulting confusion, he emptied his sidearm on six terrorists, then with his knife he slashed the throat of one, and with an AK-47, which he took, sprayed the rest of the terrorists killing another 11. In a flash, all of them were either dead or fleeing for their lives.

As the Marine was untying Couric, Gibson, and Williams, they asked him, 'Why didn't you just shoot them all in the first place? Why did you ask him to kick you in the a**?'

'What?' replied the Marine, 'and have you three a**hole's report that I was the aggressor....?

Kitti
Member # 7277

tnwilz - I prefer to think of myself as a transAtlantic werekitty :-)

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you all know that yesterday was STAR WARS day?

May the Fourth be with you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I do do a lot of drinking when I write (or when I'm online in front of the computer, which is physically practically the same thing).

Soft drink drinking, that is. My mainstay is Mountain Dew, which is substituted with Orange Crush and Minute Maid Lemonade, all in cans. Occasionally I throw in a Coke or Pepsi.

PepsiCo has recently introduced something called "Throwback" drinks. I only know about Pepsi and Mountain Dew; maybe there are others. Also I've only seen them in cans.

Ostensibly they're made with "natural sugar"---I don't know just what that is, where they're getting it or how it's processed, but I know they usually use corn syrup rather than refined sugar 'cause of the expense of the latter.

Either way, I tried both the Pepsi and the Mountain Dew---I can't say much different about the Pepsi but the Mountain Dew does have a better taste in my mouth, at least.

Kitti
Member # 7277

It's probably made without the high fructose corn syrup. I don't know about Pepsi, but American Coke started using HFCS instead of sugar in the 90s, at the same time they switched from those fat glass bottles to the plastic ones.

Ha! Knew that trip to the Coca-Cola factory in Georgia would come in handy one day :-)

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Pepsi Throwback made it to northern Virginia, but I've only seen it in one store, and only in plastic bottles.

Initial thought: infinitely better than the HFCS-infested Coke Classics I've been drinking...there's no sense of a heavy syrup-y aftertaste.

Pepsi says the Throwback version will be for a limited time. As long as that 'limited' timeframe is set for sometime after the apocalypse, I'll be happy.

BTW...I drink way too much of this stuff while I write.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

They tell me they make a kosher Coke around Passover---I've never seen it, but they tell me this---which contains sugar instead of corn syrup. One of the writeups said a lot of people stock up on it around that time.

I get glass bottles of "regular" Coke all the time...they're for my mother, who won't drink it any other way unless she has to.

I've seen an ad on TV for Pepsi Throwback...didn't say much about it (these things never do), just that it's out there.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Barack Obama was visiting a primary school and he visited one of the classes.

They were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.

The teacher asked the president if he would like to lead the discussion

on the word 'tragedy'.

So our illustrious president asked the class for an example of a 'tragedy.'

One little boy stood up and offered: "If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is

playing in the field and a tractor runs over him and kills him, that would be a tragedy."

"No," said Obama, "that would be an accident."

A little girl raised her hand: 'If a school bus carrying 50 children drove over a cliff,

killing everyone inside, that would be a tragedy...'

"I'm afraid not," explained Obama."That's what we would call great loss."

The room went silent. No other children volunteered. Obama searched the room.

"Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"

Finally at the back of the room, Little Johnny raised his hand. In a quiet voice he said:

"If the plane carrying you and Mrs. Obama was struck by a friendly fire missile and

blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy."

"Fantastic!" exclaimed Obama."That's right. And can you tell me why that would be tragedy?'

"Well," says the boy, "It has to be a tragedy, because it certainly

wouldn't be a great loss... And it probably wouldn't be an accident either."

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people procrastinate. Some people waste time. Some people delve into pointless endeavors. Then there is me.

Random musings is the most popular thread in the history of hatrack. Why? Ask some of the members. Here are some interesting facts that do not include the 17 post behind this one.

Statistics on the first 500 post

Number of members that posted in RM: 36

Who posted the most: Robert Nowall 93 times

(Next closest was IB at 38)

Number of members that posted only once: 6

Number of members that posted at least ten times: 19

Number of members that posted at least twenty times: 10

Number of times KDW posted: 10

Last one to join the thread: Jeff M at post 487

Number of post deleted: 2

Longest post: Inarticulate Babbler (fitting, ain't it?) 910 words on 03/30/09

Keep it up. A thousand is on the way.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 06, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Geez, Robert, you're responsible for almost a fifth of the postings! I feel like we should hand you some award or something.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Welcome Annepin! You are the newest member RM club!

Edited to add - I didn't see your previous post. Still got in after 500

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 06, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What can I say? One thing sets off another, and I'm off. (That and I don't get to use much of this stuff floating around in my mind around the house or at work.)

By the way, the last time I heard InarticulateBabbler's joke, the leader in question was "Comrade Stalin," not "Barack Obama."

annepin
Member # 5952

It's probably one of those "insert politician's name here" jokes.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One looks over to the other and asks: "Does this taste funny to you?"
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ad in the newspaper:
"Invisible man seeking transparent woman to do things never seen before."

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 07, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Stevie Wonder was given a cheese-grate for Christmas, he said it was the most violent book he'd ever read.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 07, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

A woman decides to spice up her sex life so she goes to Victoria's Secret and buys some crotchless panties. Her husband comes home and she walks seductively over to where he is sitting, puts one leg up on the arm of the couch and says "You want some of this baby?" He looks and says "Hell no! Look what it did to those panties."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I saw a friend with two black eyes and asked him what happened. He explained that a woman at the mall was walking in front of him with her dress caught in her crack. Trying to be helpful, he reached over and pulled the dress free. The woman turned around and smacked him.

"That's awful," I said. "But how'd you get the other black eye?"

He said, "Well, when I saw how mad she got, I tried to stuff the dress back in there again."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A ninety-year-old man is sitting on a park bench, sobbing. A young man walks by, and seeing the old man's misery, he stops and asks him what's wrong.

Through his tears the old man answers, "I'm in love with a twenty-five-year-old woman."

"What's wrong with that?" asks the young man.

Between the sobs and sniffles, he answers, "You wouldn't understand. Every morning before she goes to work, we make love. At lunchtime she comes home and we make love again, and then she makes my favorite meal. In the afternoon when she gets a break, she rushes home and gives me oral sex, the best an old man could ever want. And then at suppertime, and all night long, we make love some more."

He breaks down crying again, no longer able to speak.

The young man puts his arm around him. "You're right, I don't understand. It sounds like you have a perfect relationship. Why are you crying?"

Through his tears, the old man answers, "I forget where I live."

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

On their wedding night, the young bride approached her new husband and asked for $20.00 for their first lovemaking encounter. In his highly aroused state, her husband readily agreed.

This scenario was repeated each time they made love, for more than 30 years, with him thinking that it was a cute way for her to afford new clothes and other incidentals that she needed.

Arriving home around noon one day, she was surprised to find her husband in a very drunken state. During the next few minutes, he explained that his employer was going through a process of corporate downsizing, and he had
been let go. It was unlikely that, at the age of 59, he'd be able to find
another position that paid anywhere near what he'd been earning, and
therefore, they were financially ruined.

Calmly, his wife handed him a bank book which showed more than thirty
years of steady deposits and interest totaling nearly$1 million. Then she
showed him certificates of deposits issued by the bank which were worth over $2 million, and informed him that they were one of the largest depositors in the bank.

She explained that for the more than three decades she had "charged" him for sex, these holdings had multiplied and these were the results of her savings and investments.

Faced with evidence of cash and investments worth over $3 million, her husband was so astounded he could barely speak, but finally he found his voice and blurted out, "If I'd had any idea what you were doing, I would have given you all my business!"

That's when she shot him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What did the blonde call her pet zebra?

Spot.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What's green and slimy and hangs around in trees??

Giraffe snot!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a cigarette, a satisfied smile on its face. The egg is frowning and looking a bit pissed off.

The egg mutters to no one in particular, "Well, I guess we answered THAT question."

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, IB. Are you trying to kill the record?

So back on random topics, um....

Dwa?

Fwebulp!

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Qwerty.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

Nope. Just catch up with Robert.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 08, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. Just catch up with Robert.

We may need to petition KDW to rename this thread Robert Nowell's/Inarticulate Babbler's Random Musings

snapper
Member # 7299

Back to the randomness

I haul cars for a living. I am heading to Toronto this weakend for a show at the convention center. My safety director and dispatcher got in a small arguement with me in the middle.

Ontario instituted a law that all trucks must be governed to go no faster than 65 miles an hour. For those that do not no, that means your engine is set so it cannot go any faster. Now most trucks are governed but are done so at a higher speed (mine is set at 72). According to law, my truck shouldn't even be allowed into the country. My dispatcher claims the Canadian authorities are not enforcing that law UNLESS you get caught going over 65. My safety director thinks otherwise.

These cars MUST be there on time. It is my responsibilty that it is done. Now I know what some of you are saying Why not refuse to take it?
Because work is getting slim. I get paid per load. If I refuse this than they may not consider me for the next. You know, scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Anyway. Don't know what to do about it. Thanks for letting me to vent.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvg_y-jgpI

Ok, this is Jackanory. I grew up watching this show after school everyday and listened to a new story.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Had an MRI today.

And found out that I'm definitely not claustrophobic.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Wow. They tested you for clautrophobia by putting you in an MRI? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to zip you all the way up in a sleeping bag or lock you in a broom closet?
snapper
Member # 7299

Wow! They can find that out in a magnetic resonating image? Wonder if they can see if I'm really Enissophobic, Cyberphobic, and Graphophobic?
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Random musing: Why is dirt brown?
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Congrats KDW, that was extremely random. People don't have MRI's for no reason but they are good for clearing up mysteries sometimes. I hope it revealed good news for you.

Tracy

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

LOL!

No, I had the MRI to see if there is something in my brain causing the hearing loss in my left ear that has been happening over the last several years.

I had heard from several people that they had to have valium and other such medication in order to help them deal with their claustrophobia while in the MRI equipment.

I found that I had no problem with it, so I must not be claustrophobic.

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:

Because it's really worm poop.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

quote:
Because it's really worm poop.

Then why is melange orange?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 08, 2009).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, he might get a chance to catch up, 'cause this is my last post before leaving for vacation.

Probably I'll be back---I'm only going, weekend to weekend, and should be back a week from Monday, or maybe Sunday night.

So keep it interesting until then...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Have fun, Robert.
Kitti
Member # 7277

Quick, now that he's gone, time to PARTY!!!!!

Although... I'm having a complete mind blank as to what kind of crazy, trash-the-thread party we could have. Suggestions?

annepin
Member # 5952

But melange isn't necessarily orange.

Snapper, to make it there on time would you have to go over 65?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Oh, please, no trashing the thread, okay?
Kitti
Member # 7277

Alright, alright, party off.

Not sure it's possible to trash a random musing thread, anyway. Unless "trash" means something specific in high-tech internet-savvy lingo??

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.