Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 10)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Cartoon wise there are a lot of shows I miss. Histeria, and Animaniacs, and Eek the cat (Thundersaurs rule!) being the top three.

Nowadays cartoons are just not quite as cool, though it could be just I'm not as cool as I was when I was younger.

Man, I feel like an old person.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... does anyone remember Seabert or Belle & Sebastian?
(If you're looking them up on www.imdb.com, btw, they're not under their English titles - look for bibifoc and meiken jolie)

I don't think the cartoons are ever - quite - as cool as we remember them. I spent last summer transferring all my old VHS tapes to DVD and there were some cringe-worthy episodes! That said, I miss (the original) My Little Ponies, because the characters were always bursting into song. THAT was awesome.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
When I explored the Warner Bros. cartoon oevre after some twenty years (and now over ten years ago---they don't seem to be on any channels I get, and I've only picked up a couple of DVD collections), I found them even better than they were before. Somewhere in the process of what they euphemistically call "growing up," I picked up a lot of info...and got a lot of things that had sailed over my head before. (In a couple of cases, I got something that sailed over the heads of some people compiling reference books on them.)

On the other hand, sampling "The Flinstones" around the same time...they seemed to have lessened. I found the drawing and writing couldn't match either the Warner cartoons, or most of the new TV stuff that was starting to come out.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cartoon wise there are a lot of shows I miss.

I hear you:

• Angry Beavers
  • Ren & Stimpy
  • Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle
  • Thundarr the Barbarian
  • The Hurculoids
  • Bravestarr (Much as I hate to admit it, I liked 30/30)
  • Go-Go Gophers
  • Scooby Doo, Were are You?
  • Quick Draw McGraw
  • Wally Gator
  • The Jetsons
  • Punkin' Puss and Mushmouse
  • Ricochet Rabbit and Droop Along
  • Yippee, Yappee and Yahooey
  • The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show
  • Shazzam
  • Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines
  • Johnny Quest (with the real lips dubbed in...hehe)
  • Speed Buggy
  • The Superfriends
  • Valley of the Dinosaurs
  • Jabber Jaws
  • Pinky and the Brain
  • Mighty Mouse
  • Heckle and Jeckle
  • Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
  • Blackstar

How many do you remember?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Of that particular list? 3
Just as an aside, IB, very few things on your lists ever ring a bell with me. Are you sure we grew up on the same planet?
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

God, Ren & Stimpy. I think I was okay having forgotten that one... and Thundarr the Barbarian... who knew how much junk was floating around in my brain? Other than that, the ones I remember off your list are Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, Johny Quest, The Superfriends, Pinky and the Brain, and Mighty Mouse.

Hmm, and I can think of loads of other programs you didn't list. Maybe I rotted my brain with too much TV when I was a kid...

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of my primary sources for new (and old) cartoons seem to have dried up...Disney doesn't run much anymore (even Toon Disney switched to running those lame and awful kid sitcoms), and Nickelodeon did more-or-less the same.

Of late I've been drawn to three on "Discovery Kids"..."Tutenstein," "Growing Up Creepie," and "The Future is Wild"...though it's been a long time since any of 'em ran a new episode, despite claiming they will practically every day.

How long between new episodes of a cartoon? There are several steps: [STEP 1] Run the first two episodes as a special. [STEP 2] Repeat both episodes at least twice within a week. [STEP 3] Run the third new episode. [STEP 4] Repeat all three episodes. [STEP 4] Run the fourth new episode. [STEP 5 AND BEYOND] Repeat this cycle until at least thirteen new episodes have been used up.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Crusader Rabbit, Beany & Cecil, Howdy Doody. Rocky & Bullwinkle

Do these date me?

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites growing up (that I can remember right now) were Scooby Doo, Vultron, Thundercats, Smurfs, Rainbow Bright, My little Pony, Talespin, Ducktales, and Tom and Jerry.

My favorite cartoons that are on right now are Little Bear and Phineas and Ferb. I like Spongebob on some days.

Edited to add: I forgot X-men and Batman.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited April 23, 2009).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Thundercats Ho!!!!
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 15 of those, IB. You've inspired me to make my own Saturday morning and week-day 3PM list:

1.Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies (Chuck Jones, especially)
2.Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain (Spielberg and Warner Brothers - genius and insane)
3.Droopy (kind of a cartoon-slut - has shown up in all major cartoon companies, except - I think - Disney)
4.Hanna-Barbera
- The Flintstones (pre- teen Bam-Bam and Pebbles)
- The Jetsons (Flintstones in the future)
- Scooby-Doo (before Scrappy or Scooby-Dum)
- Tom and Jerry (The Road Runner and Cayote, but funnier)
- The Yogi Bear Show (said Hey, Hey, Hey before Fat Albert)
- Speed Buggy (Scooby-Doo as a car)
- Hong Kong Phooey (Scatman Crothers - the black guy from The Shining - as a wannabe superdog with a clever cat)
- Super Friends (pre- Wonder Twins)
- Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (Scooby-Doo as a caveman with super powers)
5.Sid and Marty Kroft -
- H.R. Pufnstuff (inspired 70's McDonald's commercials - inspired by Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - kind of)
- Sigmund and the Sea Monsters (Caspar as a giant blob of seaweed)
- Far Out Space Nuts (Gillagan's Island in space - literally - with Bob Denver)
- Dr. Shrinker (kind of like Land of the Giants - another classic)
- Wonderbug (Speed Buggy in real life)
- Land of the Lost (Jurassic Park befor CGI)
6.Deputy Dawg (picture a smart Rosco P. Coltrane as a dog - pre-Dukes)
7.ThunderCats (the best cartoon in the 80's - forget Transformers)
8.Bobby's World (Howie Mandel created this when he still had hair)
9.SpongeBob SquarePants (I resisted as long as I could - resistence is futile)
10.Phineas and Ferb (the best new cartoon - and the best soundtrack too)
Honorable Mention:
- The New Adventures of Flash Gordon (animated Star Wars version of Flash Gordon)

(These are partially in order of preference and partially chronological - there's your "randomness", shimiqua.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited April 23, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Phineas and Ferb is the only cartoon I'd be willing to watch without the kids around. I love it, makes me laugh every time.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Anyone remember the Snorks?
satate
Member # 8082

Oh ya I remember the snorks. I liked them.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Caveman was a Flintstones spin-off, he was the Superman of the Flintstones.

Hong Kong Phooey was a karate-dog and an accidental hero.

What's the matter with the wonder twins? Except one always a form water. Boy what trouble I could get into with those powers: Form of a g-string...

*Blaskstar was a cross between Planet of the Apes's crashed spaceman and He-man's "Sword of Power" (before He-Man).

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remember "Thundercats." Not 'cause I watched it...at the time, I worked at a Burger King. They had a tie-in promotion with the show. If kids came in, we were to greet them with the rallying cry of "THUNDERCATS, HO!"

This failed to catch on, on the utter refusal of everybody then working in the place to actually say it...

satate
Member # 8082

He-man, oh ya, I used to like the female version of that. She-ra Princess of Power. I even had her as an action figure with her horse and friend. I think it was my favorite cartoon for a while.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, IB, Hong Kong Phooey was a Kung-Fu dog, but my point was that he wore a mask and had a secret identity. He even had a secret lair underneath the police station and had a "super-car" called the Phooeymobile. His "good cat, Spot" always nabbed the bad guys, and Phooey got full credit and thought it was all his own doing. HKP was a personal favorite of mine.

Captain Caveman had actually been out a few years before he appeared on an updated and inferior version of The Flintstones.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I actually liked Superfriends even after the Wonder Twins, but I didn't like the Wonder Twins themselves. They were there for comic relief, and instead annoyed the guano out of me.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have a certain like for the early "Schoolhouse Rock" cartoons.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Missing three classics that deserve to be mentioned.

1930's and 40's Popeye

Excessively violent and racist to the point of you won't see it on TV anymore but to listen to the mumbling dialog is the best. Some of the funniest things you could ever hear.

Johnny Quest

A family life that would be highly suspicious in today's world but the intro music and storylines were the funnest to watch in the 70's. The Venture brothers on Adult swim is a pretty good spoof on it (they even showed a 50 year old Raji with Johnny in the background on one episode). For an old cartoon, it was kicka**.

Underdog

Okay, it was a very lame take off on Superman. The superdrug/pep pill is definitely not the message you want youngsters to hear these days but it had the greatest intro song ever.

quote:
When criminals in this world appear,
And break the laws and place you fear,
And frighten all you see and hear,
A cry goes out both far and near for
Under-dog!
Underdog!
Under-dog
Underdog!
Speed of lightening,
Roar of thunder,
Fight-ing all who rob or blunder,
Under-dog!
Underdog, Underdog!

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 26, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

This discussion is getting much to focused for the random musing thread.
So...
I just ate some good pork today.

Kitti
Member # 7277

Oh good. I was just thinking the same thing.

I broke a tooth. And it's raining. Today is not off to a very good start.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

You know, whenever I go to Boston lately, someone in my family gets run over.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a thought once... but it died of loneliness.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss
Jackanory
Blue Peter
Dougal and the magic roundabout
The Clangers
The Wombles
Bill and Ben
Andy Pandy
Ken Dod and the Diddy men
Trumpton
Joe Ninety
Thunderbirds
Bassell Brush
Rolf Harris

Later I missed
Tomorrow People
Blake's Seven
Dr Who
Fawlty Towers
Not the Nine O'Clock news

BTW many of these shows were watched in 'Gasp' Black and White because Mum couldn't afford the colour TV or the colour TV license. And my Grandpa had the biggest Meccano collection I've ever seen.

More will come to me all day

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited April 27, 2009).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

Johnny Quest

A family life that would be highly suspicious in today's world but the intro music and storylines were the funnest to watch in the 70's. The Venture brothers on Adult swim is a pretty good spoof on it (they even showed a 50 year old Raji with Johnny in the background on one episode). For an old cartoon, it was kicka**.

snapper... you did read my list, right? Not only did I have Johnny Quest, I mentioned the "real lips" that they dubbed over the cartoon ones in the original show! LoL

Go-Go Gophers was part of the Underdog show--I figured those who recognized it would know. Kind of like Wally Gator being a part of the (unmentioned) Woody Woodpecker show.

But, you're right, the original Popeye, Looney Tunes, and Flintstones I didn't think needed mentioning, since they're so well known.<shrug>

There are a lot I didn't mention:

• G-Force
  • Inspector Gadget
  • Hulk Hogan's Rocking Wrestling
  • Spiderman (Where they just rotated the camera and spun the picture to make him swing.)original 60s cartoon.
  • The Hulk (Doc Bruce Banner, pelted by gamma rays, turned into the hulk<--theme song)60s cartoon.
  • Godzilla
  • Voltron
  • Dragon's Lair
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Danger Mouse
  • Dino Riders
  • Drak Pack
  • Dinosaucers
  • Count Duckula
  • Challenge of the GoBots
  • The Ewoks
  • Fangface and Fangpuss
  • Flash Gordon
  • Galtar and the Golden Lance
  • Inhumanoids
  • Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
  • The Heathcliff and Marmaduke Show
  • Garfield and Friends
  • Frogger
  • Pac Man
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • The Littles
  • M.A.S.K.
  • The Mighty Orbots
  • Mr.T
  • Mysterious Cities of Gold
  • Q*Bert
  • Robotech
  • Sectaurs
  • Silverhawks
  • Space Ace
  • Space Ghost
  • Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea
  • Tigersharks
  • Tranzor-Z
  • Vytor, the Starfire Champion
  • Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light
  • The World of David the Gnome

I still love the cartoon movies (some of these are NOT for children):

• Frank Frazetta and Ralph Bakshi's Fire and Ice
  • Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn
  • Pete's Dragon
  • The Man Called Flintstone
  • Coonskin (Intended to offend everyone.)
  • Rock and Rule
  • Romey-O and Julie-8
  • Bebe's Kids
  • The Iron Giant
  • Heavy Metal
  • Fantasia
  • Cool World
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 27, 2009).]

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_by_Enid_Blyton

Will you ever write that many books?

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I sure did miss it.

I could start a whole new thread on Quest. What was that quartet about anyway. Two guys traveling the world together (never remembered seeing or hearing about Johnny's mom) and they somehow got a third world young boy to travel with them. Funny they were never in the states. You think Dr. Quest was avoiding the law?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Let's go Capitals!

How's that for randomness? Nobody's mentioned hockey yet!

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The happiest day of my life was when the Mets won Game Six of the 1986 World Series.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Back on cartoons...the Popeye cartoons are out on DVD through 1943...the last of which contained "Happy Birthdaze," my all-time favorite Popeye cartoon.

Even when someone shows them on TV, it's almost always the color ones...or these absolutely dreadful so-called "colorized" versions...but they're not colorized, they've actually been redrawn in color...and extremely poorly drawn as well...

I remembered another cartoon series from the early 1990s (I think) that I liked but that has disappeared without a trace. "Taz-Mania," another chronicling of the adventures of a Warner Bros. player.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Here's a riddle - can anyone tell me the only (as far as I know) Disney (partially) animated movie that has never been released on VHS or DVD?
snapper
Member # 7299

Song of the South, staring Brair Rabbit.

I agree Robert. Those later Popeyes were awful.

satate
Member # 8082

Isn't Song of the South the one that has zipadee do dah in it?
Kitti
Member # 7277

It does have zipideedodah (or however you spell it). I think it's actually been released in Europe, but it was prevented from being released in the US because of concerns about racism.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, the later theatrical Popeye cartoons, through sometime in the 1950s, kept the standards pretty high, even if they didn't reach the zany heights of the Fleischer cartoons of the 1930s...then Paramount closed the studio and hired a succession of people to put out some absolutely awful cartoons. The "colorized" remakes, sometime in the 1980s I think, amounted to debasing good cartoons.

"Song of the South" was released on tape and laserdisc (but not DVD) in Japan at some point, maybe Europe, too...but never in the USA. Another variety of problem with "colorization," actually. (I gather some editing was done to later releases of "Fantasia" (and the home version) for this same reason.)

Has "The Reluctant Dragon" ever been released to the home market?

Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
As I was channel surfing a couple of nights ago, I caught an episode of Rick and Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in All The World. Never heard of it before, but OMG was it hilarious. I love a good satire, and the writers absolutely nailed it. Love the animated Lego figures too. A bit over the top at times, but I think the beauty of animation is it allows one to indulge in hyperbole.

Random Thought:
Don't believe what they tell you... acupuncture does hurt. But in a good way.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What channel is it on?

I'm having cable television trouble, where I seem to get the channels on my digital tier only at certain times of the day. I've replaced the cable box. I think it might be a problem somewhere between the wall and the box...but today I tried to get some three-foot cable at two different places, neither of which had what I needed.

snapper
Member # 7299

That reminds me. Did you ever hear of the FCC commisioner that commented on the quality of Television in the late 50's early 60's? He said Americans that turn on their TV's view a vast wasteland.
He received a letter from a viewer wanting to know what time "Vast Wasteland" was on.

Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,
Teletoon here in Canada. I don't know where it airs in the States. You can probably download episodes from somewhere. In fact, I'm considering cancelling my cable altogether and downloading (legally) shows I want to watch. However, it seems trying to do it legally is a lot more difficult than illegally. Itunes has a relatively limited selection, and at $1.99/ep, it might not end up being any cheaper than paying for cable.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I Googled it...seems to have been on Logo...Logo is on my digital tier and I get it...when I get it (see above).

The "vast wasteland" FCC chairman was named Newton Minnow...and the "Minnow," the wrecked ship on "Gilligan's Island," was named after him 'cause the producer / creator Sherwood Schwartz blamed Minnow for ruining the quality of TV of its day.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Here's something random: I remember when, during the third season of Lost, Heroes came out and everyone was writing Lost off and were annointing Heroes as the new "king" of sci-fi (sorry Battlestar fans, but that was the "word"). Now look at them all.

The third season of Heroes, including the finale, completely blew chunks, and Lost is having one of its best seasons ever (actually two good seasons in a row). Oh, and Battlestar ended by saying "God did it", which I found to be a bit of a cop-out. Not that God couldn't have done it, but it was definitely a "soap-operahish" conclusion.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

I enjoy singing with the radio in my car, but I pretend I don't when people look over.

That's gonna change.

I love to watch people singing along alone in their cars, it makes my day. Why should I deny the world the pleasure of watching someone make a fool of themselves? Even if that fool is me.

~Sheena

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'll singalong, in the car, in the shower, maybe when it's just me alone in my house and the radio playing. (Actually I pump my iPod through a dinky transmitter thing into my old Grundig Satellit 400.)
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Beware the day I pull up next to you at an intersection, playing air bass guitar.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

That's why I moved to the middle of nowhere--I don't think I could drive unless I was singing.

Here's my brilliant solution: If I happen to be stuck at a light, and I'm feeling self-conscious, I'll put my mp3 player next to my ear and pretend like I'm talking on the phone.

If I'm not feeling self-conscious, I'll start dancing in my seat too. Either way, I'm sure I'm entertaining someone!

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've been dubbing some old LPs and 45s onto CDs, then putting the resulting tracks in my iTunes. Partly it's to avoid some of the expense of buying CDs or downloading tracks (though the time spent doing it instead of, say, writing, must be worth something)...but, then, I've got some stuff that's never been out on CD or available for download on iTunes.

(I also took my old copy of "Abbey Road" and made Side Two into one big track---something I never could figure out how to do with "Abbey Road" on CD...)

Kitti
Member # 7277

almost to 500...

Can anyone explain to me why, when you ask for "just a little bit" of sauce on something, the people serving you are just as likely to dump gobs and gobs of sauce on as to listen to you?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm reminded of "Beverly Hillbillies Mountain Measurements." Herein:

“A smidgen is just a teeeenie, little bit…

3 smidgens make one pinch

4 pinches equals one little bit

4 little bits equal one midlin’ amount

3 midlin’ amounts equal one right smart and it takes 5 right smarts to make a whole heap.”

Yes, I copied it off some website.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.