Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 12)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's orange. A pre-spice mass is green. Interesting how they're opposites, huh? And they turn the users' eyes blue-in-blue. Hmmm, how very colorful.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? A "melange" is just a mixture.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say "a melange", I said melange, and in reference to worms. I was thinking Sand Worms and their melange(that's the magic system in Dune).
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Notice how quiet it gets when Robert leaves?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Think the government isn't doing enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzoXQKumgCw&feature=channel

There you go, you're worst fears confirmed.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Answering Service At The Mental Institute

"Hello, and welcome to the mental health hotline.

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3,4,5, and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will transferred to the mother ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, no one will answer.

If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the hash key until someone comes on the line.

If you are dyslexic, press 6969696969.

If you have amnesia, press 8 and state your name, address, phone number, date of birth, social security number, and your mother's maiden name.

If you have post-traumatic-stress disorder, slowly and carefully press 000.

If you have bipolar disorder, please leave a message after the beep, or before the beep, or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short term memory loss, press 9. If you have short term memory loss, press 9. If you have short term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self esteem, please hang up. All our operators are too busy to talk to you."

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
That was great IB! I might borrow that from you if you don't mind.

Here's a true story:
Once when I was selling cars, a buddy of mine had a very interesting experience with a sales call. The man on the phone was desperate to purchase a car. Typically these calls, referred to in the business as "lay-downs" (you can infer the double-meaning), are a little challenging on the saleperson's part to get approved. My buddy asked him for some information in order to submit a credit application. The man gave all the information required - name, address, income (his was from disability), etc. My buddy thanked the guy and told him it might take a couple of days, but not to submit any more credit apps (multiple inquiries tend to lessen one's chances of getting approved).

With a little work, the finance office got the guy approved. However, when my buddy went to call him back to let him know the good news, someone else answered the phone with these words - "Psych Ward"...

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited May 11, 2009).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
So my family and I moved in October, and changed our phone line.

Ever since then we have recieved about 3-5 phone calls a day for an Ortin Christensen all from robots. Several robots had fake accents. (My favorite is the southern.)

The message goes on for about five minutes, saying if you are Ortin Christensen please press one now, if you are not Ortin Christensen, and you need a moment to retrieve him, please press two now, if... blah blah blah.... five minutes later...If there is no one by that name at this number, please press seven now and an operator will be right with you. This is very important information, please stay on the line.

So I press seven, and the phone rings and rings and rings, never going to a machine, or somewhere I can talk with a real person, and tell them, Ortin Christensen does not in fact live at this address, and is not availible at this number. Please stop calling, EXPECIALLY AFTER TEN P.M.!!

I tell you though, if I ever meet this Ortin fellow, I'm gonna punch him in the head.

(*No offense meant to any Ortin Christensens, living or deceased)
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same thing happen with some Pamela woman. My favorite recorded message though, is the one that says my warranty is about to expire and this is my last notification to get it continued. I've got that call ever since I moved from Tucson which has been over a year ago and I have lost count of how many times they've called.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, my sister was getting stalked by one of her ex-boyfriends--I forget which one, how scary is that? Anyway, we had to get our number changed. Years later, my mom heard that the people that had gotten our new number were pretty annoyed about it. We called one day and listened to their answering machine, and it said, "You have reached the Jones family. If you are calling for one of us, please leave a message. This is NOT the Smith family, and we don't know how to get in touch with them. Leave a message for Joe, Sally or Kathy JONES at the sound of the beep." (Obviously, I changed the names).

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get a calls from this one guy who thought I was his "girl." I tried to convince him I had no idea who he was, and I had a boyfriend, and no, I didn't want to talk to him. He got upset, kept saying "Don't you remember me?" until finally I put my bf (now husband) on the phone to ask him to stop calling. It was very odd.

Other odd phone calls: I used to get calls from this older woman who didn't speak English. I'm not sure what language she spoke. Maybe some Indian language. At any rate, she'd leave these extended messages on my answering machine, sounding quite upset. I once picked up the phone when she called and she yelled at me for almost a minute before I could get a word in edgewise. Still not sure if she ever understood me, but at least she stopped calling.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just got a weird call here at work. A man immediately (and very rapidly) started speaking spanish, and when it became obvious to him that I didn't understand a single word he was saying, he proceeded in broken English...

"Can I speak to ___?"
"I'm sorry, there's no one in this office by that name. Are you sure you have the right number?"
"Office?"
"Yes, sir. This is a business number."
"Are you in Guatemala?"
"No, sir, this is Louisville, Kentucky."
"Oh." Embarassed chuckle. "I'm sorry." Hangs up.

I have no idea how you confuse calling Guatemala with Kentucky, but it was the most entertaining thirty seconds of my day so far.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

When my daughter was little-r, we used to hand the phone to her when bill collectors caled. She'd chat until they hung up.

The ultimate was when my wife was helping her dad butcher deer during hunting season. A Bill collector called, and she said, "I can't talk right now, I've got some bloody corpses on the floor!"

Is there any question why I love her? LOL.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Satate, the warranty call can be stopped. The next time they call, listen to the entire message. At the end, they should give you a number to enter to prevent future calls.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
IB - lol. That reminds me of a time one of those door-to-door salesmen people came and rang the front doorbell. They asked me where my parents were. I informed them my parents were digging a grave in the back yard. However, I neglected to mention it was for the family cat.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Way back when I was in college I struck up a friendship with a salesman on the phone. He was trying to sell me MCI, but he wasn't trying very hard. He ended up calling me every day while at work, and he was going to send me a plane ticket to come visit him. It all ended suddenly when he called for me one day and I was busy so I told him I wasn't home. Duh. Like he didn't recognize my voice. I've always felt guilty about being such a jerk, but relieved because I really didn't feel comfortable with the whole plane trip idea.

The strangest twist on this story is that I adored the phone when I was in college--racking up enormous phone bills--but now I can't think of anything I hate more. I've got an actual phobia of it, I think.

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited May 12, 2009).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Since we are on the subject of phone calls, I called a friend of mine years ago. This is how the call went.

"Hello."

*voice is of an unfamiliar middle-aged man. I assume it is my friends Dad*

"Hi. Is Eric there? Could you tell him Frank called and I was won..."

"Hello?"

*I raise my voice a bit*

"Uh, yeah. I was saying this is Eric's friend Frank. We were supposed to get together to..."

"HELL-LO-OH!"

*I am now shouting*

"I'm Sorry. Is Eric there? I think the line must be bad. Could you tell him Frank..."

"Listen. I can barely hear you. Why don't you leave a message at the beep."

BEEP

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I have lived in Virginia most of my life, except for about 8 years in which I lived in Tennessee. I am not completely ignorent of "country life" even though I am not very "country".

About twelve years ago, I was living in a stereotypical, southern, working-class neighborhood within the city. As I was getting in my car one morning, I looked directly across the street to see the bloody (skinless) carcass of some large beast hanging by a rope from a tree in front of my neighbor's house.

I got out and went to my backyard to make sure my dog was OK. He was. I went up to the street and stood there and debated what I should do. The movies Predator,The Serpent and the Rainbow, and The Godfather flashed across my mind. I ruled out 7 foot aliens, so I figured either someone was practicing voodoo against my neighbor or they were sending him "an offer he couldn't refuse".

I decided my best choice was not to get involved. That evening, when I returned home, I happened to see another neighbor, so I asked him about what I had seen. He got a good laugh!

Apparently, when hunters (which I obviously am not) return with their prey, they must drain the blood from the animal. They do this by somehow hanging the creature above the ground and letting the blood drip from it.

I don't know what surprised me more - that someone would actually choose to do this in the front yard of a crowded neighborhood in the city, or that this had more to do with the movie about the 7 foot alien than it did with my other two choices.

(edited to add "skinless")

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited May 13, 2009).]

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, reading this thread has taken waaay too much time!

I usually only drink milk, orange juice, or water. My husband makes the same lunch for me every day: P&J sandwich, milk, OJ, carrots, walnuts, spinach.

I used to give Origami animals instead of birthday cards.

My five year old son has moved on from chess and Monolopy, and is now mastering the game of Life. The last time I asked him what he wants to do when he grows up, he asked how he can make the most money. Sigh. So much for train diver and astronaut.

Currently I'm reading Honor's Reward, about how God commands us to honor (respect and value) all people in both attitude and action. Quite thought-provoking. If everyone was on-board, we'd have a perfect world...

My co-worker has no Send button on his email.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited May 13, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky! I often wish my coworkers didn't have "send" buttons on their email.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Has anyone else ever gone to Wikipedia to double-check what you thought was a commonly known fact, only to find that the entry you're looking at has major errors? Ridiculously major? And not the prank kind (though I've seen those, too).

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Welcome to the RM thread Mrs B!

Did you read the entire thread? Even the stuff about cartoons and IB's jokes and Roberts evryday activities?

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

I confess to skimming some of the longer posts, especially about cartoons. Not my thing. But the humor is great! I found only one objectionable joke (ahem!). 'Nough said.

He got his Send button back.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited May 14, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Only one objectionable joke? I think you need to go back and reread a few of those jokes.

If I didn't know better I would think that you must work with IB, and you took away his send button because of his jokes, but then you decided they weren't TOO bad, so you gave it back. Interesting.

Whenever I get on Wikepedia, I am told only gospel fact. Never seen a mistake in my life--at least that I'm aware of.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Obectionable? Me?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 15, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

I doubt my embarassing story competes with any of those but it did happen to me.

Several years ago when my daughter was still a quick moving four-year old, I would head to the local blockbuster to pick up a couple of movies for the evening. Well the little one thought it would be a fun time to start running through the aisles and hiding from me. I would snatch her arm, she would promise to be good, and then run off giggling away for another round of irritate daddy. I caught her for the last time and pulled her into line with me for the register. That is when she went limp in my grip and started to shout 'Help! Help! You're a stranger. A stranger.'

Now I know more than a few people saw how hard of a time she was giving me in the store but not everyone did. Part of me wished that someone would have errored on the side of caution and called the police. It would have served her right. Unfortunetly for me, I was left in a difficult position. I so wanted to come unglued but she had me effectively in check. I fumed all the way home and told my wife what our angel did. Man did she have a laugh.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 14, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Lol. That must've sucked.

The embarassing memory I had was:

I was doing a guest spot in Tilton, New Hampshire, and this guy wanted to fill a thin strip on his shin, but didn't know what with. I--being a smart ass--suggested a flame shooting up his leg into an explosion cloud and a blue eye on either side. He looked at me dumbfounded, so I went further, "You know the joke about what color Christa McAuliffe's eyes are: Blue, one blew this way and one blew that way." Everybody in the tattoo shop went dead-silent.

That's when my wife leaned over and--in a whisper--asked me, "You did see the statue of her when we came into town...right?"

*I'd totally missed it.*

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Rich/InarticulateBabbler, objecionable you.

Do you want to edit the top four embarrasing moments post, or shall I?

This is supposed to be a family forum.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

There you go.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I caught the pre-excised 4 most embarrassing moments.

They were so sweet, but a little risque for the kids.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 15, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Holy cow - Norway!!! Anyone else watch Eurovision?
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Wasn't that totally amazing Kitti? Good looking men, dancing and the violin...It doesn't get much better than that.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I made it back in one piece. I haven't much time right this minute, just enough time to check in, but, maybe tomorrow, I'll sit down and read every damn thing you said about me while I was gone.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Too late. IB edited out all the nasty, slanderous stuff he said about and your mother already.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 17, 2009).]

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
This was sent to me at work earlier today by the group HR people; among other information to do with a HR exercise, they came up with these 'tips'.

To get you started, here is Jane’s tip:
“If you are able, donate blood to the Blood Bank. Blood donations help save lives.”

And here is Brenda’s advice:
“Where possible, walk instead of driving. The benefits are two-fold as you reduce your carbon footprint and get fit at the same time.”

So, since Jane's tip didn't really specify *human* blood, and Brenda's tip didn't really take into account that if you live 45km from work it's going to take you 11 hours to walk to work, a colleague decided to pitch his own 'tips'. Here's what he sent around...

1. If you are choking on an ice cube, don't panic! Simply pour a cup of boiling water down your throat and presto, the blockage will be almost instantly removed.

2. Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

3. Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

4. For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use a timer.

5. A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

6. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives. Then you will be afraid to cough.

7. Have a bad toothache? Smash your thumb with a hammer and you will forget about the toothache.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave blood once. The guys at the blood bank were so much after me after that---calls at dinnertime, letters---that I started thinking they were a bunch of vampires.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on the type of blood you have. I'm O neg blood type, which is pretty rare. I knew I wanted to marry my husband when I found out that he was O neg, (who'd a thunk?) and I realized that all our children would be O neg too. Then they could donate blood and I wouldn't have to.

It's not that I am a chicken, I just have really small viens that tend to roll, or just expire when poaked. The viens in my husbands arms are huge, he can fill a bag in seven minutes.

Weirdo. But yeah, once you are on their list they call you all the time to force you to save a life.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm O+ and that's pretty valuable too, though not to you negative people ... pessimists ... (j/k)

I'd donate more often if they didn't have to prick your finger. By all means stab a needle into my arm, I don't care about that. (Really I don't.) But pricking my finger sucks.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Can we move on? Seen any bears at the zoo lately?
Zero
Member # 3619

I saw a bear donating blood once...
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Was he type O?

I don't actually know what type my blood is...I have an assumption that since my parents were both type O, I am, too...but that's not an absolute certainty, from what I've read...

Negative or positive? [shrugs] I dunno...

Zero
Member # 3619

I believe O is the most common blood type. (Though the bulk of it is positive.)

And no the bear wasn't type O. He was AB negative and they sent him away because his blood was useless.

Kitti
Member # 7277

The other day
I saw a bear
Out in the woods
A way out there...

Sorry, but since this thread was the one who got the song stuck in my head, I decided to share. If you don't know it, it's to the tune of "Sipping Cider." Now you can have it stuck in your head too!

Know any other good (obnoxious) songs that get stuck in people's heads?

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Claps her hands over her ears and runs from the room. Trips at the top of a flight of stairs, and on the way to the hospital wishes she had been nicer to those blood donors.

No, I refuse to contribute to the spread of annoying ditties.
I've had more than enough of Little Rabbit Foo-Foo, I don't wanna see you...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

The Germans have a great word for those kinds of songs: Ohrwurm (if I remember the correct spelling). It means earworm--thoughts of STAR TREK and THE WRATH OF KHAN.
Kitti
Member # 7277

<- brings Mrs Brown very nice flowers in the hospital. And maybe a few oversized balloons.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A book I read over my vacation mentioned, in passing, how the late 1950s New York Yankees players liked Mantle, as opposed to seeing Yogi Berra naked in the locker room, scratching himself and picking over the food on the trainer's table.

It was only a few lines in the book, but, man! the image is just one that stays with you.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

The earlier mention of blood reminds me of when I first learned I was a mutant.

No joke - my mom has AB- and my dad has O+. And I actually look very much like my dad - very similar height (or lack thereof), build, and facial features (a baby switch is near impossible).

My college biology professor told me that I must either have a hidden A or B or I could have a mutant gene. I had a blood transfusion back in 2003, so I'm guessing I must be a mutant.

Unfortunately, the mutant blood type didn't come with any cool powers.

Zero
Member # 3619

So what is your blood type, technically?
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.