Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 9)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Post 400!

Two-fifths of the way to a grand.

May 26th will be the date. That is my prediction.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Date with whom?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Collin
Member # 8522

- posted      Profile for Collin   Email Collin         Edit/Delete Post 
I ate unsweetened chocolate the other day and I still can't get rid of the nasty taste.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
They only told you it was chocolate!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
man i have forgotten what we were talking about.

it hurts my brain to try and remember whats been said before.

any way...

i think i almost asended last night as i lay in bed awake.

it came to me this way, i thought if the WHOLE KNOWN universe was compressed to the size of a football stadioum what would we be? how big would that make us? what would our whole existance be but a insiginigant minute nothingness with size less than that than the spaces between subatomic particals.

and at that moment i looked i was floting above my body and was asending through my sealing. needless to say i freeked out and fell back into my body and jumped out of my bed gripping my .45 Colt drenched in sweet.

and no i was not on ANY mind alutering subestences including my sleeping ade and pain pills, or my anti depresents (its the weekend so i dont take them)

just thought i would shair my interisting experiance with you all and maybe one of you can asend your human body and know everything, just think of us here from time to time

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
That was random.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ah, Doctor Watson, I see you have donned your winter underwear."

"Astounding, Holmes, however did you deduce that?"

"Elementary, my dear Watson, you have forgotten to put on your trousers."

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I nearly ascended one night when I was thinking about physics and I realized that time travel is absurd because the very nature of time is different than what people thought.

If you view the universe as a constant now which is always changing, then time becomes a function of determining the state of the universe at any point of its change.

Example: If a ball is rolling and you were looking at a clock, you would see a different time at every position of the ball, but the only true position is at the time you're observing, the constant now.

This means there is no past, except the evidence left behind by the constant change. For the universe as a whole with stars moving away from each other, that evidence is that light from billions of light-years away shows us an image of stars as they were billions of years ago. For humankind in general, there is only the now, and history is simply collective memory of the universe at some earlier state.

I got to thinking that that meant our view of the past was probably an evolved mechanism for recording fatal change (ie anything that kills us), which branched complex animals away from living in the constant now (with no recollection of a nonexistent past or the changes that may take place in the future).

It's a bit hard to put into words, but the practical gist of it is that if someone wanted to go forward or backward in time, they would have to change the universe around them to the way it was at that moment in the constant now. Which would mean having the type of power to move unimaginable numbers of elements back to the positions and states they were in that past time, as well as having the recording equipment required to know each position and state. Highly improbable.

And since quantum theory proves that you cannot view things on a subatomic scale without changing their position or speed, this makes time travel also technically impossible.

I don't know, maybe this is even weirder than an OBE (out of body experience) >.<.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

That makes very good sense, Nate, however that supposition is solid only if you believe that our universe is limited to 3 dimensions. If the universe is capable of additional planes of existence, than the ability to slide to and fro outside our 3D existence may be possible.
Mathematically, extra dimensions are possible, but clouding your brain around the concept of a tesseract will only give you a headache. Philosophically, time itself is referred to the fourth dimension. The question isn't really if extra dimensions exist but rather is it possible of a 3D creature to be able to navigate a 4D passage? 2 dimensional objects can't exist in our universe (everything has depth), so could we exist in a 4D one? Do we live in one now?

At anycase, the answer to those questions are beyond our grasp, at the moment, but they are fun to write about.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 13, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Recipe for an ideal marriage: find a partner who think's you're the most wonderful person on the face of the Earth. You must agree.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Observation determines n-dimension. String Theories observe 10, 11, or 26 dimensions in a unified quantum universe.

Humans have an ability to indirectly observe time linearly, past time and future time. Memory and history perceive the past, indirect observation. Predictive projections perceive the future through indirect observation. Immediate future perception is crucial to existence. Thought of moving across a space becomes real deed usually more or less as perceived, though largely taken for granted. Without the ability to perceive a bracket of time, humans would live solely in the moment and not be able to track the linearity of time, in other words, not able to exist in the three observable spatial dimensions. Imagine driving a car and not being able to orient it in three dimensions because only the now of three dimensions is directly observable, for example, no stopping because stopping depends on perceiving the immediate future. Pressing a brake pedal results in a car stopping. Lifting a brake pedal results in a car moving. They're not coinciding events.

Pencil a thin line on a piece of paper, it's perceived as a line on a two-dimensional plane, though both have at least three observable dimensions. Like the paper, the graphite has observable depth, otherwise it wouldn't leave a visible mark.

Tardyon or Bradyon space, the realm of the observed universe, falls between two asymptotes, the boundaries of the velocity of light and theoretical zero velocity of Absolute Zero. The special relativity derived theoretical tachyon realm occurs beyond light speed and has theoretical properties. The less imaginary mass and real energy a tachyon instance has the higher its velocity, approaching infinity as mass and energy approach zero.

No one has even suggested let alone explored the theoretical possibilities at the opposite end of the velocity spectrum. Experiments have pushed the technological limits of reaching Absolute Zero, but it appears to be an asymptote. Twice as much effort is needed to halve the temperature from previous efforts; therefore, theoretically, an infinite quantity of effort is needed to achieve Absolute Zero. At Absolute Zero, no known or theoretical instance with dimension or velocity or matter-energy properties, but what if? Say a luton (absoluton) has somewhat similar propeties to a luxon (photon), except it is an imaginary absolute rest instance. Then assuming that the space-time continuum continues beyond absolute zero toward minus infinity instance velocity, there's a whole other realm, say the fractyon realm where minus velocity equals fractal dimensions. |N^(N-1)| when graphed shows interesting possibilities. That's an equation I invented for determining the complexity of a scientific model, where N equals the number of discernible discrete parts. 0 for N = undefined, 1 for N = 1, -1 for N = -1, 2 = 2, 3 = 9, 4 = 64 . . . 25 = 3.552713679^33. There's a continuous infinite nonparabolic curve on the plus side of the Zero asymptote, but fractal points along an inclined slope on the minus side.

All these dimensional possibilities might coexist as a divisible but as yet unobserved space-time continuum. If they were at one time in homogenous solution and then precipitated, might there be a big bang? Say a thought caused the precipitation. Let there be light.

Fractyon, luton, and absoluton are terms I've coined and claim exclusive rights to.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited April 14, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Extrinsic...maybe if you boiled it down to a haiku...
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
extrinsic, I think I'll stick with string theory, but time travel can easily be explained just using relativity.

Natej11, going into the observable future is easy. Every time an astronaut journeys into space, he/she is time traveling. It has been proven. If you put an atomic clock on board the space shuttle and have an atomic clock here on Earth both set precisely the same, there will be a time difference between them when the shuttle returns. Time is relative - Einstein. One minute always feels like one minute no matter how fast you're traveling. However, as one approaches the speed of light, what passes as a minute for the traveler, appears much longer to the observer.
Light travels at around 186,000 miles a second. If you got into a ship traveling half that speed (93,000 miles a second) and you circled the Earth, you could circle the Earth around 450 times in one minute according to the observer on Earth. However, the 450 trips would take less time for the person on the ship. If this continued for any length of time, and the orbit was just right, the constellations would appear to change much quicker to the astronaut while in the ship than they would normally back on Earth.

Traveling back in time would be more tricky, and I question whether there would be anything there. If you could move anywhere in the universe in a second and had a powerful enough telescope, you could see the Earth anytime in its past. Getting there may be a problem with relativity. Even though you can see it, that still means it happened a long time ago. I believe quantum mechanics solves this problem, but I'm not sure how.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Oh man, don't let math kill this post, like it did my degree.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

If there's anything that's not random, it's math, as close to a perfect language as there is. I find mathematical proofs to be works of art. I had struggles with college math, but got through the requirements and then some.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Not random? Explain pi.

Another headscratcher. How about imaginary numbers? Only math could prove the existence of an impossibility.

One subject that I was fascinated with was Geometry. Proofs, Theorems, Hypothesis; contemplating shapes without the cumbersome manipulation of numbers was an enlightening experience. I hated the mountain of homework but loved going over those proofs. It was like walking among the Greek scholars of yestermillenia working over those theorems.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I only have my lack of mathematical ability to blame for not being elected President of the U.S.

Actually, it kept me from applying to dental school. I became an accountant instead. Go figure.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

There was this four-foot snake taking its leisure among the canned goods in the cupboard, a Northern Water Snake, Nerodia sipedon. It wasn't the first to come inside. I've encountered dozens in my homes over the years. Once, I came home to find two small males and a mature female engaged in a mating dance on the kitchen floor. I killed the males and left them outside for a hunting Pergrine that perched in a live oak beside the swampy drainage ditches where the snakes live. I've found many shed snake skins around the clothes dryer and the water heater.

One of the identifying characteristics of Neroidia is a distinctive double row of wide scales on the underside of its tail. They are often confused with cottonmouths and copperheads because they have similar markings elsewhere. Also over the years, people have brought me Neroidias they've killed because they wanted to show me what they were convinced were cottonmouths or copperheads. Neroidia is a nonpoisonous snake, and a beneficial one. I don't have a mice problem, though I live nearby a field mice haven.

Neroidia do bite and have an anticoagulant in their saliva, which makes a bite wound bleed liberally. I've not been bitten by one, but have been bitten by a boa constrictor. The eight-foot boa lost a fang. I got a small bruise on one of my knuckles. A small misunderstanding between a housemate--owner of the boa--the boa, and me. Snakes and I have natural enmities that are apparent to us, but not to others. The boa and I had another encounter involving a third party that's too grisly to relate here.

I've also caught rattlers, cottonmouths, and copperheads, but never a coral snake, though I've seen a few in the wild. I don't seek out snakes. For some reason they seek me. My earliest experience with a snake was with a rattler in the mountains of Southern California when I was a young lad of seven years. Grandma was about to take a squat on the snake when I pointed it out to her. We shared a common bond in the way snakes seek us out. The rattler and I had a staring contest while grandma hysterically ran off screaming. The rattler flinched first and slithered off.

Snake tastes like gamey catfish.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited April 16, 2009).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I had to quit school after college. It was interfering with my education.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a wicked nightmare last night. I don't get too many nightmares--in fact I rarely remember more than fleeting wisps of my dreams--but this was a humdinger.
Do any of you have nightmares in deep limited third person pov?
And do you think this is unique to authors? My husband has nightmares on a regular basis, but he always seems to stay himself in them.

At the risk of being psychoanalyzed and declared a total nut, here's my dream:
My 4 year old son and I were at my sister's house, which was this humungous mansion type thing with bamboo walkways that kept going gradually up to different levels (in the dream, not in real life). My son was scared, and he wanted to go home, and I told him we could, but instead of leaving I turned on the TV. My sister was watching the same show upstairs and we kept calling to each other. It was a show we watched all the time, and it was about this man with superpowers. He had a wife that he loved very much, but in this episode he is getting out of bed with his ex-wife, and it quickly becomes apparent that he has forgotten all about his current wife through some magical spell. My sister and I were calling back and forth to each
other about how it wasn't very realistic and how they'd made him forget about his wife too many times, and if he loved her as much as he acted like he did, no magic spell would be able to make him forget about her like that.

Suddenly I WAS the man, and the whole mansion, including my son, just vanished. I was driving down the road (and it gets
complicated here, so I'm going to start using third person instead of first), and suddenly this overhead compartment pops open, and there is his wife, shoved inside with her mouth open in a scream--but the woman was really ME. Suddenly the man remembers everything, and he pulls his dead wife (who is me, except that I'm still the man in my dream) out of the compartment and flies up in the air with her, and the car goes plunging off the road into the ocean. The woman who is me is obviously dead, but somehow the man thinks he can save her if he can just fly high enough. So he's flying with his dead wife and suddenly her arm breaks off and the rest of her body falls into the ocean. He is afraid he'll never find her now,
but he holds onto the arm and plunges straight down into the water and finds his wife--the plunge into the ocean has brought her back to life, and he scoops her up before she can drown and flies back to my sister's house, although the woman is screaming and saying that she doesn't want to go there. Then they are trapped in this endless loop of looking for my sister and my son--who is gone.
It was AWFUL and so vivid.

Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
When I got divorced, my wife said she would fight for custody of the kids.

Took her out with one f#cking punch.

quote:
Statistically... 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape.

quote:
A woman brings eight-year-old Johnny home and tells his mother that he was caught playing doctors and nurses with Mary, her eight-year-old daughter.

Johnny's mother says, "Let's not be too harsh on them.... they are bound to be curious about sex at that age."

"Curious about sex?" replies Mary's mother. "He's taken her f#cking appendix out!"

quote:

A family are driving behind a garbage truck when a dildo flies out and thumps against the windshield. Embarrassed, and to spare her young son's innocence, the mother turns around and says, "Don't worry; that was an insect."

To which, her son replies, "Really? I'm surprised it could get off the ground with a ***k like that."

quote:

I met a 14 year old girl on the internet. She was clever, funny, flirty and sexy, so I suggested we meet up.

She turned out to be an undercover detective. How cool is that, at her age?!

quote:
I was reading in the paper today about this dwarf that got pickpocketed.

How could anyone stoop so low?

quote:

I was at a cash machine when an old lady walked up and asked me to help her check her balance.

So I pushed her over.

quote:

I was walking down the road when I saw an Afghani guy standing on a fifth floor balcony shaking a carpet.

I shouted up to him, "What's up, Abdul? Won't the b#stard start?"

quote:
Old Father O'Malley was strolling through the church grounds one sunny summer evening, when he came upon a little frog sitting by a tree. "My Lord," he said, picking it up: "You're the saddest, most forlorn-looking frog I've ever seen. I only wish you could speak, so that you might tell me your troubles."

The frog replied, "Actually, I can. You see, I was once a choirboy in this very parish. One day I offended a passing Gypsy, and she put a curse on me that turned me into a talking frog."

"Incredible!" said Father O'Malley. "Is there anything I might do to help you?"

"Actually yes, there is. The Gypsy said that if I can find somebody to take me home and let me sleep in their bed, the curse will be lifted and I'll be back to normal."

"Well," said Father O'Malley, "the good Lord teaches us to be charitable. I think I can manage that."

So Father O'Malley picked up the little frog and put it in his pocket. That night he placed it gently on the pillow beside him and drifted off into a long, dreamy sleep. When he awoke the next morning, the frog had turned back into a choirboy, just as it had said it would.

And that, Your Honor, is the case for the defense...

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 16, 2009).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem!

We need a Smily for the look that Drabble's father gives him (something like Z( maybe?) In absence of that, perhaps this will do:

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I dream in third person occasionally, but I never meet myself in the dream.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Every other month or two, I get something that looks like it might be shaped into an idea I can then shape into a story. The last time was last week.

Other than that, they run the gamut. Characters from whatever I'm watching or reading wander through...I revisit (a) old familiar places, or (b) places I'm familiar with but have never seen before...dreams where I'm wallowing in a familiar word that begins with "S"...dreams of being frustrated by this or that, usually at work (but I get enough of that in real life).

Not much in the way of nightmares. The last disturbing dream I had---I'd say it was sub-nightmare, though it did wake me up---I was swimming underwater and I had to get to the surface to breathe...only when I reached the surface, instead of bursting through, I found it was a pane of unbreakable glass and I was trapped.

AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have many nightmares, but the last one I had, about 4 years ago, was so bad that I was afraid to go to sleep alone for about a year and a half after. The night after I had it, I went to work at the jail, and they sent me home early, at about 2-3 AM. I had to drive some really rural roads to get home and I was terrified the entire way.If my husband was away, I'd stay up all night watching "happy" movies and would always have a large weapon near by. I don't even remember what it was about.

Often, I have the same dream several times in a night, only each time I have the dream, I'm a different character in the dream. In these dreams, though, I'm never in them as myself.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Actually there are two familiar words beginning in "S" that I could be wallowing in in my dreams. One happens too often...the other doesn't happen often enough...
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to dream about what happens next in my current WIP. It's quite annoying because then if I wake up in the middle of the night I have to jump up and write down my dreams before I forget them. And then the cat decides that's the signal to get up for the day and starts yowling for breakfast :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

My sister thinks that my dream means that I watch Heroes too much. She also says she would never own a bamboo walkway, so my dream will never happen. That's good, since the rest of the dream was so darn realistic, I was getting worried
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

The only dream I have on a recurring basis is the one where I lose control of the car and plummet off the side of a mountain with my children in the backseat. I always drive extra careful after that one.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I've got to say it, satate: Maybe if you drove carefule before the dream, you wouldn't have it. (Drive safe. )
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The theory still goes that if you can't remember it, it couldn't have been any good. I suppose this goes for ideas found in dreams, too.
Kitti
Member # 7277

So I was out at a pub the other day and came across this sign. Had to share :-)

Rules of the Inn

NO THIEVES, FAKIRS, ROGUES
or TINKERS
NO SKULKING LOAFERS or
FLEA-BITTEN TRAMPS

NO 'SLAP an'TICKLE o'THE WENCHES
NO BANGING o'TANKARDS on the TABLES
NO DOGS ALLOWED IN THE KITCHEN
NO COCKFIGHTING

FLINTLOCKS, CUDGELS,
DAGGERS and SWORDS
to be handed to the INNKEEPER
for safe-keeping

Bed for the Night 1 Shilling
Stabling for Horse 4 pence

[This message has been edited by Kitti (edited April 20, 2009).]

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

LOL. Kitti, that's great! Thanks for sharing.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to re-read the bottom because I saw "Stabbing" instead of "Stabling" and thought it was a rather odd service.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Whatever happened to the Archies?
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Whatever happened to the Archies?

Archie's freckles faded as did his red hair. It started thining to the point where he was bald at thirty. He realized his first big mistake of signing up To be all you can be the first morning when the drill sergent banged metal garbage can lids together. He did his four years and now hangs out near the VA over by the freeway off ramp with a dirty rag and a free offer to clean your windshield.

Jughead learned that a youths metabolism slows down dramatically in your twenties. The thin stick figure double, than tripled his size in ten years. He can be seen on sunny days waddling down the street in a effort to exersize. He walks to the donut shop and back home everyday.

Betty took her good looks to hollywood where she became very aggresive at trying to get noticed. You could see her in the background of some of the paparazzi's photos of the secondary stars of the day. Boomhauser of King of the Hill, Moe of The Simpson's, and Mr Garrett of South Park; too name a few. The last time she made the news was the infamous 911 call that Dilbert made in which she ended up in jail. She was last seen waiting tables at a Denny's in Long Beach.

Reggie ended up on top and married Veronica (the real reason why Archie enlisted). Veronica was used to a life of letting other people do things for her and let her husband managed her family's vast fortune. Reggie proceeded to invest all the money in a can't miss fortune 500 company: Enron. Things got really touchy in the mansion after that. Matters didn't improve when the Mr and Mrs found their counterparts profile on Asheley Madison.

Moose got a scholarship to Nebraska as the football teams left tackle. Prospects were looking up until a NCAA offical happen to peak into his open locker and saw all those vials of steroids. He is currently working in the World Wrestling Alliance as the Masked Maniac.

Natej11
Member # 8547

I just want to know: 1. Why was he always wearing a crown?; and 2. Why do I remind my mom of him?
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was thinkin of the musical group. I read various Archie comics all the time, at least lately.

(My freckles and red hair are still with me, though the latter is thinner and gray at the edges. I'm told I have a bald spot, though I can't see it from here.)

shimiqua
Member # 7760

Speaking of Heroes.

So they totally broke the rules when Sylar got stabbed in the head and then survived it. The rules said that is how you kill him, he killed him, and then he healed.

That said, I'm glad. Sylar is the best thing on that show.

But still. You can't break the rules without an explanation.
~Sheena

Kitti
Member # 7277

Really? Sylar drives me crazy sometimes. I was esp. annoyed about how the thing with him and Elle ended.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It took me a minute to realize you were talking about "Heroes" the TV show...rather obviously, I don't watch it.

Ever feel you're having your nose rubbed in some aspect of popular culture you're completely unfamiliar with? I don't mean anything with computers or the Internet or cell phones or whatever...they're always coming up with something new that (sometimes) I fail to catch up with.

I mean something that seems to be all over the place but you have no idea what it is. For example: I keep seeing these little white oval stickers on cars...they'll have two or three letters in them...but what are they there for, and what do they mean? That, so far, has eluded me completely...

(Sometimes I find it in others. A couple of months ago, my mother denied any knowledge of "rock, paper, scissors," which others in my family found hard to believe...)

CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
shimiqua, I'm not so sure they broke the rules with Sylar... I seem to recall them doing the same thing with Peter & Claire in previous seasons. I think the mistake they made was saying "kill" instead of "indefinately incapacitate"... doesn't have quite the same ring to it, I guess.

*Edit* Oops... realized after I got home that I hadn't seen the latest episode... you are totally right. Really left me scratching my head.

[This message has been edited by CABaize (edited April 21, 2009).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Robert - in a word "TWITTER." Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't have the faintest idea what it was.

And before that, I managed to go several months before finally asking someone what a Blog was.

The little round stickers have abbreviations of place names in them. OBX is Outer Banks, that's the only one I know for sure. It might even be the origin of them, for all I know It's declaring the location of your beach house...

satate
Member # 8082

Here is my deep dark secret:

I think Spongebob is hilarious and sometimes really well done. Hahahahahaha, I must be going crazy.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The airports of this country have three-letter designations---which I had to be familiar with for my job of shipping the mail around the country.

But they often don't seem to have anything to do with the actual name or nearby place. JFK in New York is JFK, while LaGuardia is LGA, but Newark is EWR---unless I'm misremembering, which is possible because for the past dozen years I've dealt with incoming mail, and the letters are for outgoing mail.

Some of the little round stickers don't seem to match up with anything I'm familiar with. I wouldn't have picked "OBX" for Outer Banks, for instance...

"Spongebob" seemed to me to be one of those "we know we're in a cartoon so we don't have to behave like real people" cartoons. I don't mind breaking the fourth wall but I do mind cartoons with characters that behave in this way.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

quote:
Really? Sylar drives me crazy sometimes. I was esp. annoyed about how the thing with him and Elle ended.

After publically declaring that I hated the way they were trying to turn Sylar into a good guy, I went and totally bought into it, and I'm still upset at how they pulled the carpet out underneath me. I don't think an author could get away with something like that. And I'm still not sure they did get away with it--at least with me.
Melanie

snapper
Member # 7299

Spongebob is cool, so is Patrick Star.

God made cartoons so we would have kids so we can have a good excuse to watch them in are 30's and 40's.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine they are going to explain how Sylar survived fairly soon.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

I have for the past several hours been extensively pondering, down to the minutest detail, various means, methods, and models for the improvement of my various writing techniques. Samples taken from past works and present projects thoroughly dissected and reexamined have finally and unequivocally offered the most efficient means by which my prose can be improved. And the means by which this effect can best be achieved is the complete and total eradication of extraneous information and detail, cutting the verbiage down to the sharpest and most concise form.

After I realized this I went back and did some major editing. For example, the above paragraph reads much better as four words:

Keep it simple, stupid.

(seriously though, this is one of my major problems >.< )

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, the cartoons I like tend to be the ones not embraced by mass culture, the ones whose characters become pop icons---and, coincidentally, these same cartoons also tend to have characters who strike up histrionic poses and talk as if they're speaking for the ages and not to each other.

On Nickelodeon, for me, it's "Spongebob" no, "Hey, Arnold!" yes. On the Cartoon Network, it's "Powerpuff Girls," no, "Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy" yes. (Search my name for the depth of my devotion to one other cartoon show in particular.)

(A lot of ones I like don't last very long. I miss "Mike, Lu, and Og" to this day.)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.