FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 13)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
8 days!

EDIT: and 13 pages!

[The Wave]

So, Teshi, have you checked out the restaurant?

EDIT2: So we meet outside the museum at XX time, buy tickets for the special exibit, troop over to the restaurant, eat, troop back to the museum, and look at old stuff until 9:30 at the latest. Cool!

[ April 14, 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Crumpets! No I haven't. I forgot! Tomorrow, I promise!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
They have crumpets? I like crumpets...
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I've ever had crumpets. What are crumpets, exactly? I believe you're supposed to have them with tea, yes?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Crumpets are a bit like English muffins, only not meant to be split before toasting, and much softer and a little sweet.

They can be eaten with tea, but I prefer them as part of breakfast, toasted and dripping with butter (just like the picture I linked to).

*drools* I miss crumpets. Too bad the brand that was kosher for ages isn't anymore.

A good description.

[ April 15, 2005, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a crumpet! Or is that strumpet?

Thanks for the dinosaur news, Teshi. That was pretty neat. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You callin' me names? Or was that directed at rivka?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I just wanted to say "strumpet."
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmpf.

[Wink]

*barely contained excitement*

Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't like crumpets, interestingly enough. I never have... [Smile]

I should try them again though.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe I've ever had crumpets...although I'm in love with scones...current scones with devonshire cream and raspberry jam...*dreamy eyed*
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well. Scones are a whole different story... [Big Grin]

As are muffins. The English kind, that is.

twinky
Member # 693

I've never had crumpets. I like scones, though.
ElJay
Member # 6358

So, are we ever going to talk about Saturday and Sunday? Or just let them take care of themselves? It just seems funny that we've put sooooo much planning into Friday, and almost none into the rest of the weekend.

As I understand it, we'll meet up with Arthur, The Tick, & Ticklet and Jaiden & Pod whenever a) they arrive at the hotel and b) we drag ourselves in Friday night. If either of those is too late, we'll hook up in the morning. I think we need full real names of whomever the room is registered under, so the desk will connect us to each other initially. Otherwise we could just say something like if we haven't found each other prior, meet in the hotel lobby at 9 AM.

("We" in previous paragraph refers to twinky and I, as we're the only other ones staying at the hotel.)

Then it seems we (all of the hotel contingent) have to meet up with non-hotel Saturday contingent (Teshi and Rei & EL, right?) and head off to the Science Center. What time are we going to want to do that? The Science Center is near the hotel, right? Should we just meet at the hotel? That way, also, non-hotel people can bring along a bag with, say, a swimsuit in it, and leave it in one of the rooms, in case we all want to go back and play in the pool after the Science Center. Or play games the rest of the night. I'm bringing Fluxx! And Chrononauts, if I can manage to pick up a copy this weekend.

Sunday we still seem very vauge on. I know the Ticks want to go to the zoo, and honestly I think that sounds like fun, but they will be the only ones with a car and it's been stated the zoo is hard to get to by public transportation. Could one of the locals maybe do a little research into how hard? We might end up spliting the group that day.

My flight leaves at 7:30 PM Sunday, and I think my confirmation said check in 90 minutes in advance for international flights, so I need to be back at the airport by 6:00. twink, when do you leave? It would be nice if we could head out together, but if not oh well. Oh! We should check check-out time at the hotel! That will be important to know...

Any other thoughts?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Logistically, would it be better to do the zoo Saturday, since it's further away and we wouldn't be as rushed for time, and then the Science Center Sunday? If we're doing the zoo as a group, of course.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
If we split up for the zoo, a couple of folks could ride with us. One would have to sit next to the kid seat, though. [Smile] We're probably pretty flexible for the Science Centre. Thomas usually gets up around 8am, so some time after that for breakfast would work.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

What about a taxi? If there were a lot of us it might be affordable.
twinky
Member # 693

ElJay:

I leave a bit after you, so we may as well head back to the airport together. As to Friday night, I think what we should do (after swapping names, that is) is you or I should call the evening arrivals from wherever we are (be that back at the hotel gaming or pooling with everyone or out teaching the non-dancers how to jive) sometime after we're expecting them to arrive. If this happens early enough that there's time to hang out en masse Friday night, great, but I'm not sure how likely this is. Either way we'll have made contact and can exchange room numbers.

WRT the Saturday-Sunday plans... hm. *ponders*

[ April 15, 2005, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

If we're dancing, I figure we'll probably get back well after the evening arrivals get in. (I don't know how to jive either, incidentally.) So, yeah, they should let us know ETAs and we'll give a ring from wherever and find out how they're doing, get room numbers, and determine if they're likely to be awake when we get back. [Smile]

I went to lunch right after that long post, and a co-worker asked me, like, three times why I just suddenly started grinning. [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]

I'm really excited too. I'm particularly looking forward to meeting Ticklet. Maybe I'll be able to convince him that dinosaurs are awesome. [Big Grin]

We've actually been given ETAs -- Clan Tick gets in sometime after 9 PM and Jaiden and Pod get in closer to midnight.

I meant "jive" sort of generically.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a car, but I have zero to none Toronto driving experience, except for one trip on the 401 into Yorkdale Mall. So that's probably not very helpful. Unless there's not much highway driving involved to get to the zoo, in which case I can take four passengers.

My personal preference would be the zoo rather than the tower, since I just went up it last week, and while I found it cool, the zoo has way more to look at. Not that I'd mind the Tower, just the zoo is my preference.

Far as times go, Brent and I will be able to manage, but probably no earlier than 830am is a good thing, and maybe as late as 930am. When does the OSC open, anyway?

Have we thought at all about where we'll eat on Saturday evening, or for lunches? At the zoo/OSC/hotel?

I am scared of just "dancing", usually, and I certainly don't jive, but I can do ceili dances. The Gay Gordon is a favourite. /random

And does anyone else feel funny seeing "OSC" here?

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I pointed the fact that the Ontario Science Centre is oddly appropriate a while back... but no one seemed to care but me!

Hm. Dancing. Perhaps I can fake a broken leg...

ElJay
Member # 6358

EL, I am experienced and confident driving in strange cities and highways, and if you are comfortable with me driving your car I am more than happy to, assuming that I am legal to do that on a US driver's license. (I believe I read that I am for up to 60 days in my preliminary checking into coming research, but would double check before doing so, of course.) If you are not comfortable with that, I understand completely and would not feel at all offended. [Smile]

For Sunday, if we end up going to the zoo, could we check out of the hotel, throw our bags in the back of EL/The Tick's cars, and go and do whatever for the rest of the day? That would be helpful logistically... I'm sure the hotel would hold our bags for us, but it would kinda suck to have to go back and claim them.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Also: I feel no need at all to get an early start Saturday, that's no biggie. We'll make a call depending on what time we shut down Friday night. And the rest of the meals we can probably play by ear. [Smile]

Also also: You both said you would try swing dancing! It's easy, honest! [Big Grin] But of course no pressure. [Grumble] Or at least not much. [Wink]

[ April 15, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I want to put a smily here but there was no single one that expressed my feelings:

[Razz] [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes] [Angst] [Grumble] [Cry] [Smile]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll see how it goes, ElJay. It's definitely worth considering. I'll have the chance for some more experience before then, so maybe I'll be okay. But my trunk isn't huge, so I don't know how much luggage I could fit. Well, seeing as it's only one weeknd, probably I can fit a lot.

Admission for the OSC is $14 for adults, $10 for under-17, and Ticklet is free. Parking is $8, and here's the transit directions. Open 10am to 5pm. The Science of rollercoasters is on, as is Environment Month, and the live reptile shows are on while we're there.

The Toronto Zoo is open 9am to 6pm. Here's directions by car and by transit, and it looks like the transit is actually not that bad. In particular, I think the Sheppard-Yonge stop would be good, since the subway stops there too (I think). Admission is $19, and free for Ticklet.

And I saw the CityPass whole looking around, and if we thought we would be doing more, it might be worthwhile - ROM, OSC, Zoo, Science Centre, CN Tower, and Casa Loma on one pass for $47.

Oooh, I'm getting so excited!

Edit: And I'll dance. Just be patient with me and I'm sorry if I step on anyone's toes.

[ April 15, 2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
The Science of rollercoasters is on, as is Environment Month, and the live reptile shows are on while we're there.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE rollercoasters, and I missed that exhibit at our Science Museum last year! And reptiles! Little dinosaurs! Wonderful! I'm even MORE excited! I'm SO GLAD I decided to come!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Um, sorry about all the exclaimation points.

But not very.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
And reptiles! Little dinosaurs!
[No No]

[ April 15, 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

You left off the exclaimation point. It should be:

quote:
quote:
And reptiles! Little dinosaurs!
[No No]

Added: 'Cause if I'm going to be scolded, I want the exclaimation point in there. [Smile]

[ April 15, 2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

twinky
Member # 693

Fixed.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Thank you.

[Razz]

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
For Sunday, if we end up going to the zoo, could we check out of the hotel, throw our bags in the back of EL/The Tick's cars, and go and do whatever for the rest of the day? That would be helpful logistically... I'm sure the hotel would hold our bags for us, but it would kinda suck to have to go back and claim them.

This is a really good idea.

Also, I'm happy with whatever Saturday-Sunday arrangemetns people deem acceptable in terms of which day to go where.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy swing dancing...even though I've only done it once...and the real source of enjoyment comes from knowing what to do with that music that I adore

[edit] this is what I get for reading the thread, then forgetting to refresh it before posting: a totally seemingly out of context post

[ April 15, 2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: ReikoDemosthenes ]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yay! Another dance fan! We'll reach critical mass yet. [Wink]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

ElJay and twinky: I just checked my flight time for when I leave, and it's at 7.10 PM on Sunday. So I could/should probably go with you as well, then.
twinky
Member # 693

Righty-o. We'll have to head to the airport around 5, then, maybe even a smidgen earlier...

Edit: You'll be leaving from Terminal 1, right? I guess that means 6 is still fine. [Smile]

[ April 15, 2005, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

I actually have no clue which terminal I'm leaving from...all I know is that it's with WestJet to Abbotsford, BC
twinky
Member # 693

I believe Terminal 1 is pretty much all of the domestic flights.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I found Brownstone Bistro! I walked right past it on my first wander, too, despite the fact the letters proclaiming its name are fairly large and yellow (although attractive and "cool").

It looks like a very nice place; people inside, people outside and enough seats for a largeish group although we might want to reserve space ahead of time. It also looks fairly 'hip', as ElJay said, but also not overly so.

It's about ten-fifteen minutes walk from the RoM and is at the intersection of Gloucester Street and Yonge.

twinky
Member # 693

Cool. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

So... that's a "Yes that sounds like we should go there then."?
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Nice. Yes.

[Smile]

I'm so happy that this is all working out!

Exactly one week from now I will be in your company. I love hatrack!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

In one week I will be real. I'm looking forward to knowing that I truthfully exist and not wondering that if this all a figment of an overactive imagination. [Razz]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I think you're a figment of a crumpet, if you catch my drift.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Nope, that drifted right past me.

"What?!"

twinky
Member # 693

Yes, let's go there. And eat!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Sorry. I just wanted to say crumpet.

[Razz]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Good. I'm glad that's settled. [Smile]

Des: [Razz]

[ April 15, 2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

um, I know that this sounds weird, but if someone could actually make sure I eat something, I would be much obliged. I'll probably be okay, but maybe a little reluctant. Just warning you in advance.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Des, I will do that for you [Smile] . But hopefully we'll be having so much fun you wont even notice what you're doing [Big Grin] !
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.