FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 11)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Does he have a name?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ticklet! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

This one is one of my current favorite pictures, where Thomas and his cousin Ethan had a little talk. [Smile]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
my name is Sarah (I'm not coming), just telling you because it is popular and there is no joke or rhyme or anything, i've been made fun of but never for my name.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ticklet looks like such a sweetheart! [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I am officially excited for this!

I have been refreshing Hatrack for the last loong time waiting for someone to post in this thread, so I will now.

My questions: Have we decided where to eat dinner?

That would pretty much answer other questions.

Here is a site with a lot of restaurants in the "neighbourhood" of th ROM.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yonge Street is a bit of a walk from the RoM but not more than ten minutes.

Sassafraz is the "It" place- probably cost a fortune. As the list says, celebrities eat there.

Hemmingway's is a pub for which you probably have to be 19, so if we're eating with Des, that's not an option. You can eat outside, although it'll probably be totally overflowing on a friday night.

Cumberland Street is an exciting place though; it's sort of celebrity street. During the Film Festival there were screenings there and a bunch of celebrity spotters. It's a nice street to just sit, too. In the summer, I spent a lot of time there just people watching. It's close to the big celebrity hotels and home to one of my favourite movie theatres [Smile] .

I don't know the other places by reputation.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*drools*

Okay, I shouldn't have started browsing menus before making dinner...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Wow, a lot of those places are expensive. I guess that's to be expected in the Bloor area. St Thomas street is right near me- that's another celebrity hotel, outside of which I saw Regina Williams, the sole figure from the film world I caught sight of during last years festival. Had never heard of her at the time. [Smile]

The Pangaea Restaurant sounds promising, although probably about fifteen minutes walk from the RoM. I think I know where it is...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Not only does expensive = expensive, it also usually equals = takes a long time. Since we want to go to the museum, I really think we shold find something casual. Also, we need something vegan-friendly. So let's add those parameters to our hunt, along with location.

[Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

There are a couple of Sushi places I've heard recommended. I could ask around to get the names, although I'm not a huge Sushi fan myself.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm the only vegan along for dinner that night, seriously, don't worry about that. As long as there's bread, french fries, or rice, I'm good. Honestly. I don't ever eat much at once anyway so I won't be needing a place with a lot to offer.

(And by the way, Teshi, no, I never got the kettle rhyme with my name. I'm not even sure I know the whole thing.)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

The only place I know of near the ROM is McDonalds!

I don't eat sushi, however. Sorry!

[ April 12, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

What about this place? Is the location good? The menu looks promising...
Teshi
Member # 5024

I think it's a bit of a difficult area because it's so upscale/student, so there's one end or the other. The "other" end would include places like Des' Macdonalds, Tim Hortons, either a Pita Pit or somekind of Subway place, various coffee places, and such.

EDIT: That place you linked to looks good, though ElJay. About a ten minute walk I'd imagine. I'll go see what it looks like tomorrow. [Smile]

[ April 12, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Okay, fill me in. What is the policy for bars in Toronto. Are minors not let in after a specific time of night, not allowed in at all? Would a Bistro/Bar like that be okay? Does that place have a seperate "bar"??
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I think the Ethiopian place right at the top of the list or any of the noodle joints listed would probably be somewhere in the middle, but I know I tend to be more adventurous with my eating choices than most.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*laugh* And now the thread's moving! Teshi, if you check it out, check to see if they look like they could accomadate a party of 8. From the website, that's what would concern me most, as it looks awfully "hip." But the prices don't seem bad and there is a wide variety of options.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

It looks like it's between Wellesley and Bloor-Yonge subway stops, so maybe we could meet at either of those, and then walk (if it's nice) or take the subway (if it's not) to the museum after dinner.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I think taking the subway from Yonge to Queen's Park would be excessive, even if it was a blizzard. [Smile]

It's only ten minutes, fifteen tops. Bring umbrellas if it rains.

I walk almost everywhere, so short distances like that are tinsy tiny!

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Seeing as it's about 1 km away and not a very complicated route, we should be fine. I didn't realise how close it was!
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes, only I might take you through my Quad which is kind of on the way. Just because I'm a proud UofTian.

[Big Grin]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

As long as you don't get us lost...

[Razz]

EDIT: Oh, and the prices look good for that restaurant, as well!

[ April 12, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Loosing yourself in Torono is nearly impossible. Seriously. Even if you don't know the area, which I do, very well, since I live here and all [Smile] .

Teshi's Guide to Not Getting Lost in Downtown Toronto:

Most places:

CN Tower = South.

Unless you're down by the river, in which case

CN Tower = North

Or under the CN Tower, in which case

CN Tower = Up

Everywhere East of Yonge is called East, everything West is West. Numbers radiate from Yonge so 1 Bloor Street West, for example, is right on Bloor and Yonge, going West.

Finding things is hard, sometimes, but if you know the intersection it's easy.

The only street that is confusing is Dundas, which is wiggly and crosses both east/west and south/north streets.

The Subway lines are also pretty easy, although I have made one mistake. No idea about buses and streetcars; never tried!

All in all, if you're above ground, getting lost is pretty impossible.

*shows off knowledge of Toronto just for the sake of it*

Desdemona
Member # 7100

I think you mean LAKE Ontario, not "The River"

What if you're on top of the CN Tower?

Dundas is very long and very wiggly and very confusing. It parallels Bloor and crosses Bloor and just manages to confuse me all over the place.

Which is just dandy.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ooops. Pfft. Lake... river... it's all the same... *shifty eyes* [Monkeys]

Top of the CN Tower, you know where you are so you cannot be lost.

*smug*

Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Hail] Teshi

Me [Sleep] now [Wave]

And thatnks to you, I'll probably dream about Dundas tonght [Grumble]

[ April 12, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

*laugh*

Sleep well! [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

I saw all these posts when I came back and thought there might have been some planning going on...

[Wink]

But at least now I know which direction is which in Toronto. [Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Nah, we're just taking up space with our nattering!
twinky
Member # 693

It's very difficult to go the wrong way in Toronro. Unlike, say, Christchurch. [Grumble]

As to restaurants, I am omnivorous and am happy to eat anywhere, but I will peruse the list later this morning and see if anything tickles my fancy...

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Because we're about to drop off the front page...

A list of who is coming:

twinky (Raja)
ElJay (Liza)
Teshi (Victoria)
Astaril (Polly)
The Tick (Mike)
Arthur (Jennifer)
Ticklet (Thomas)
Jaiden (Jaiden)
Pod (Ted)
ReikoDemosthenes (Brenton)
Eaquae Legit (Ali/Alison)
Desdemona (Kate)
Desdemona's Homestay (Sachi)

If I've missed anyone, please tell me!

Astaril
Member # 7440

Or, say, KW, where all the parallel streets cross multiple times, and the road map looks like a crayon drawing by a small, drunken child. (Edit: in response to twinky's post, if it wasn't obvious.)

As for restaurants, so long as it's not ye olde McD's, I'm perfectly happy.

[ April 13, 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

That looks right to me, but of course different combinations of people will be together at different times.
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that Waterloo was laid out by Mennonites to avoid hills, but the drunken child theory would explain alot too.

I'm actually heading into Toronto on the right day, but I'm just heading in long enough to fly out of there. Pity.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sean, we can't even meet you somewhere and say hi? Which day is the "right" day?
twinky
Member # 693

There are multiple "right" days. We could conceivably pop out to the airport on the express if you don't mind going through security an extra time.

Astaril, Christchurch is very well laid-out, the problem is that when one is holding the map upside-down, one tends to wind up walking in the wrong direction. (In my defence, the words were right-side up.)

Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
We are booked
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Woo-hoo!

I am -SO- excited!

I've met The Tick before, but now I get to meet the rest of the family. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
We are booked
Huzzah! [Smile] [Smile]
Sean
Member # 689

I believe our flight's at seven on Friday the 22nd (we're going on the traditional post-grad wander around Europe). My friend's parents are giving us a ride to the airport to meet my sister at some point. I suppose you'd welcome to come watch us sit around and stand in lines, but I think you've got other places to be. No worries.

Aside: Woot, 9 days to Paris!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Ah... we'll be transitioning from dinner to the ROM at that point, most likely. That's too bad.

That's some pretty impressive lurking you've been doing there for the past five years. [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah well, it was worth a thought. [Smile] Have fun in Paris!

(And that is impressive lurking!)

7 days 'til Toronto! For me, anyway. [Big Grin]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I have SOMETHING to look forward to.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Frown]

[Group Hug]

Edit: Okay, that feels insufficient. Tick, man, I really hope that over the weekend we can cheer you up/make you forget about the suckage for a while. [Smile]

[ April 13, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

^^^^ Definitely.
Sean
Member # 689

Thanks ElJay. If I don't have fun on this trip it's probably time to get out of the fun-having business altogether.

Twinky: I pick my words with care. [Roll Eyes] I did have a few hundred posts as Livious before switching back to this name.

I should aim for a ten year / hundred post landmark. *grin*

twinky
Member # 693

Ah, so you were Livious! [Smile]

I'm confident your trip will be good times. Trips generally are.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, all this excitement is contagious. I can't wait either now. Oh, and plus, the 22nd will be my first truly, entirely, guilt-free-from-schoolwork day in over a year and a half! So I will likely be in an absurdly giddy mood anyway (just to warn you all).

twinky: Ah, I see. So the map was right-side up and *you* were upside down. I can't laugh much. I've been lost in my town of 1000 people, where there's only 30 streets, and none of them more than 200m long... (In *my* defence, I was only 7 at the time.) I'm still pretty directionless.

TheTick: I hope life gets better, whatever's wrong. I won't get to meet you, but I'm sure everyone else will show you a super-fantabulous time and make you forget cares for the weekend!

Desdemona
Member # 7100

okay, I'm officially confused.

On friday night it will be:

Twinky
Teshi
ElJay
Jaiden
Pod
Astaril
Desdemona
Desdemona's homestay

Right?

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.