FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 10)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

ElJay and I are booked.

Edit: Holy crap, 10 pages. This is far and away the longest thread I have ever started.

[ April 11, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have myself all sorted out. And it's a huge change of plans [Big Grin]

I will come downtown on Friday night after my homestay and I get home from school, and then get on the subway.

This means I will be downtown at about 5:30-6:00. I will probably stay until 8-9. When do you plan on leaving the ROM?

Where should I meet you?

This is final. (I hope)

EDIT: Unless you are planning to go to a bar for dinner, in which case I won't bother. And I am too lazy to comb through 10 pages of thread looking for Friday plans, so if someone could tell me them again, I would be much obliged.

[ April 11, 2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

We're meeting RD and EL at about that time on Friday as well. I'm sure we can find a minor-friendly place to have dinner before going to the ROM (the plan was to go to the ROM after dinner, IIRC).

So, hooray! [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's so weird that I am "not" unable to drink! I keep thinking how odd it is. O.o
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Desde, does this mean you will be by yourself, or will you have your homestay with you?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

With homestay. She will not have seen the ROM. She speaks english rather well. She is rather quiet. She will be no trouble. I hope.

ROM after dinner soinds great... do we know when it closes?

EDIT: and what subway station/where should we meet?

[ April 11, 2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

*whispers*

Um... If I could possibly know the IRL names of everyone who is coming, that would be great. I don't think you want me calling you your hatrack sn in person!

EDIT: I'm Kate and my homestay is Sachi.

[ April 11, 2005, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't know, I think "Twinky" is a fine name. [Wink] .

You can actually call me Teshi, if you want. I answer to both that and my real name. EDIT: Which is Victoria, in case you were wondering.

[ April 11, 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] Hi, Kate, I'm Liza. I think you'll find it's hard not to call people by their screennames, though, and I'm fine either way.

I'm glad Sachi will be coming, I didn't ask because I thought she'd be any trouble, I asked because I'm paranoid, and I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea of two 15 (ish?) year old girls coming to meet a group of "adult" strangers that they only know off the internet than one 15 year old girl doing so. Not because I think any of us are bad people, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea. As it is, I'm glad we'll be meeting in public and will be in public all the time. I wouldn't, for example, have been personally comfortable with the idea of you coming and meeting us at our hotel. For our protection as well as yours.

Please don't take offense at this post... I just believe it is better to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, particularly when you are talking about minors and unrelated adults. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

No offense taken at all.

I have had a talk with my parents, and I have made a pact not to leave a public place with you people, and more thingslike that. My parents trust me, and they feel that with Sachi I will be quite safe. I will be able to call them anytime on my cellphone.

I have been downtown with only one friend before, and have been quite safe.

EDIT: It's probably safer than any of our school dances!

[ April 11, 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I'm glad you and your parents have discussed it. I, also, have no doubt you'll be safe... and I wasn't at all concerned about you being downtown with only one other person.

As far as your other questions, since I don't know the city at all, I won't presume to try to answer them. I don't think we've set where we're meeting Rei and EL yet, so perhaps we can find a place that works well for all concerned.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted and I have booked our room [Smile]

In "real life" I go by Jaiden and Pod is Ted.

[ April 11, 2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Jaiden, yay! This is getting so real! I went and found my passport yesterday, so I could be sure my country will let me back in. [Wink]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
My given name is Brenton, however I answer just as easily to Rei, so whatever you folks prefer.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I go by Ali or Alison, usually, but I'll answer to a wide variety of names, including EL.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'm Raja. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

You know I won't be able to say your name without a certain flair, Twinky...
twinky
Member # 693

You won't?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Should we discuss where Victoria, Raja, "Astaril" ( [Wink] ) and Liza will be meeting Brenton, Ali, Kate, and Sachi Friday at around 5:30?

[ROFL] Boy it feels funny to write all those real names!

twinky
Member # 693

Yes, we should. Ali and Brenton should probably be the deciding factor, since the "rest" of us can get to more or less anywhere by riding the rocket (boy, I really just don't like that slogan).

[ April 12, 2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the rooms together? Or can we not do that for so few?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
You won't?
Ah, the joke lost its funnyness. I meant that Raja, complete with rolled r's is one of those names that just wants you to say it 'with flair' if you know what I mean. If you don't, that's okay. I was in an odd mood when I posted it.

quote:
Boy it feels funny to write all those real names!
It feels funny to be called by it. Online, I rarely see my real name written out like that, because except with official e-mails and family e-mails, I never use it on the computer!
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tick, I think twink and Jaiden both just called up and reserved a room for the relavent nights, so they're probably not going to be together. You and/or Authur should probably do so soon as well. [Smile]
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha HA! [Evil] So I'm the mysterious one with no real name yet! Except to EL, that is, and BtL, and probably twinky, and... huh. Well, never mind.

Right. So I go by Polly with most people in real life, or feel free to call me Asta which'll probably be easier to remember. You can say Astaril if you like, but heck, *I* don't even know how to pronounce that out loud.

Edit: ElJay, is it said Liza as in Liza Minnelli or Liza as in Lisa with a Z?

[ April 12, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Astaril, I puzzled over that a bit, and I think I know how I would pronounce your handle, at least. [Smile] But now that you say it again, I think I did know that you're Polly.

My name is pronounced like Liza Minnelli's. [Smile]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
As a general rule it seems that you call people as their screen names at Hatrack gatherings, because that's how you've come to know them. Heck, at the last Hatrack gathering I called Raja "twinky" and he referred to me as BtL. A funny thing, that.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

To be fair, you sometimes call me "twink" in real life in the general case, too.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent and I will be riding the rocket, once we get into the city. So somewhere along the subway is best, but we can manage otherwise.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

So will we, so I guess we can meet at any station we like. Um... I guess it should be one that's near places to eat. I know *I'll* be hungry. But lots of stops are near places to eat...
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord, do I really? Like, when we're not talking about Hatrack? That's uncool.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, Teshi actually is a name that sometimes is used so really it's quite interchangeable for me, even in real life.
twinky
Member # 693

I think so. But I can't recall any specific instances, so maybe I'm just off my rocker. I know Fred has done it, but then I was 'Twinky' before Hatrack anyway (it was the name on my Frosh t-shirt).

Back in the CLT days when we were really les enfants terribles, it wasn't all that uncommon to use Twinky, Plummer, Raptor, and Jooky over Raja, Eric, Fred, and Daren.

[ April 12, 2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
so maybe I'm just off my rocker.

[sidenote: This is the first time I've ever heard anyone who's not me use that expression!]

O.o

ElJay
Member # 6358

Perhaps a stop that is near food AND the museum, then, so we don't have too far to go after we eat? Does that narrow it down some?

It's funny, the more Hatrack gatherings I go to the more people are moving to using real names instead of handles. [Smile] Particularly in the cases of people with long or hard to pronounce handles. But like I said, I picked my name because it's the easiest to spell of the nicks my family calls me anyway, so I'm good with it.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There are other nicknames your family use? Do tell . . .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

And did people sing "There's a hole in my bucket" a lot to you growing up? I know I'd have been tempted... I find many names (and jobs) seem to have one certain joke that goes with them which everyone else just *has* to say at some point, as if they think they're the first and it's still funny.

No, for the last time, I don't want a cracker.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

"There's a hole in the bucket" and "Lil' Liza Jane." The worst was dkw's freshman year away at school, we went down to visit her and took a bunch of her friends out for pizza. One of them was a guy named Henry, who had also had the song sung to him a lot as a kid. He had never met an actual Liza before, and I had never met an actual Henry, so someone had the bright idea that we should sing it to each other. In the pizza parlor. And they wouldn't shut up about it until we did.

First, you do not want to hear me sing. I enjoy music, but am not musically inclined. Second, apaprently Henrys aren't as rare as Lizas, so he hadn't really heard it as often, and didn't know all the lines. But they wouldn't let us just quit, so I prompted him through it until we were done.

An absolutely hidious experience at 16, let me tell you.

Added: In case it wasn't obvious, I will not be asking if you want a cracker, or calling you "Pretty Polly," regardless of how enchanting you may happen to be looking that day.

[ April 12, 2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Being semi-British and Victoria and attending Victoria College has its low-points, too.

Any name has its associations.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Indeed. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard a joke to go with my name, none, but of course, 1 out of 5 girls my age has my name, or maybe that many ever, it's fairly popular.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well, ny name rhymes with "hate," which isn't that much of an issue now as it was in grade two.
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Frown]
Astaril
Member # 7440

Hmm. Can't say *I* know too many breyerchic04s. Must be a local thing where you live. [Wink]

But going on that, I'd guess you're a Jennifer, or maybe a Sara(h). Those are the two girl names I know the most examples of.

Edit: Oh, and ElJay (and others), don't worry. You can call me 'pretty' all you like... [Big Grin]

[ April 12, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Asta: I think of Pollyanna when I hear your name.
Astaril
Member # 7440

I'm not surprised. One friend called me that all through my first year of university. Another was Pollywog. I think of the white cat from CATS the musical when I hear Victoria. It's the only one I've known. I guess most people's minds probably jump first to the Queen, eh...
Teshi
Member # 5024

"Pollyanna" the movie made me cry for days. I thought it was so sad. (I must have been about five). You don't have to worry about me calling you anything other than Polly- I think it's a great name. There must be another Polly character that I know because the name has very good connotations for me.

Oh! One thing: my family often jokes that I or one of my sisters should have been called "Polly" so my parents could say "Polly, put the kettle on" like the rhyme. Do you ever get that?

Well a lot of people equate Victoria with traditional britishness, and since I am Victoria as opposed to Vicky or Vicky or Vick or Tory, this is doubled. When they hear I have a slight accent, the stereotype is sealed. Ah well.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike (The Tick)
Jennifer (Arthur)

Of course, the easiest way to spot us is to look for this little guy. [Smile]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Big Grin]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Awwwww [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

He (Ticklet) has eyes as big as saucers!
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.