FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore! (Page 9)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore!
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
One quick question from a non-fan: Do you guys still believe that the writers have some sort of grand vision? Or do not care and are just going for the ride anyway?
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I have come to be angry at the show. It is horrible -- both the anger, and the show. (Why won't anything HAPPEN??!!?) But I still watch every episode on the wild hope that the writers might have a grand vision.

It's a fool's hope, though, if season two and (so far) season three are any indication.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean. I mean could Lost really have aired an episode in which one of the two main plots hinged on a game of ping-pong with a humorous outcome?

What planet is this?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
I have come to be angry at the show. It is horrible -- both the anger, and the show. (Why won't anything HAPPEN??!!?) But I still watch every episode on the wild hope that the writers might have a grand vision.

It's a fool's hope, though, if season two and (so far) season three are any indication.

One recalls the running consipiracy plot in "The X-Files." But you know, at least the substance of that show's run was mostly episodic and unconcerned with that particular plot thread. It didn't matter at the end that not much was resolved.

Will we be able to say the same for Lost if it ends after next season?

And wait a minute, what did all the mythology and continuity of "Alias" amount to...? [Big Grin]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
One quick question from a non-fan: Do you guys still believe that the writers have some sort of grand vision? Or do not care and are just going for the ride anyway?

I think they have a basic idea. Some details may be subject to change from time to time, but I think they have a concept they're following.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that they have some big idea, but the details can change as they go along. I know I read in an interview with one of the writers (I think it was in an issue of Wizard) that they had a definite plot that would last them for four or five seasons, and they were concerned that if Lost was still really popular at that point that they wouldn't be able to end it the way they wanted to.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Woo, two posts in a row. I really enjoyed tonight's episode, and I liked seeing how Locke's paralysis was related to his other flashbacks. I thought it was pretty good.

I'm curious to others' opinions on the box that Ben was talking about. I expected Locke's father would be the result Ben was talking about (even before he went into his talk of "how it felt"). I was thinking that maybe the box goes into subconscious stuff and pulls stuff out. That would explain some of the things people have seen (like the horse and that one guy in the suit or whatever). Of course, I could be way off.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode tonight. Locke is awesome.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It amazes me that after how many times Locke has been taken in, he still falls for it EVERY SINGLE TIME. That man has zero capacity to learn.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I was waiting for the cop to mention that one of Locke's father's previous aliases had been Frank Sawyer.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was waiting for the cop to mention that one of Locke's father's previous aliases had been Frank Sawyer.
That connection would be so cool that my head might just explode. Good call!
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I thought it was fairly obvious, actually. Ford/Sawyer learned his con techniques from the original Sawyer. And they both used the "Oops, I didn't mean for you to see that" draw. Locke's father looks to be the right age to have been a young man when Ford/Sawyer was a kid.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
You remember when Hurley was in a meeting and some guy fell past the window? That was probably Locke.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a good episode as well.

My heart broke for Danielle as she watched her daughter. Hopefully after Sayid's comments, the daughters heart will question and wonder enough so that when Danielle does confront her, she'll be open to it. I'm a sucker for relationships to work.

I also like what everyone has to say about the episode, since it seems that everyone takes something different away from it everytime. Interesting.

From the last few episodes I was beginning to wonder if Locke was an "other" plant (because he was doing bizarre thing) so I'm glad to see that he's not.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought it was fairly obvious, actually.
That's kind of my point...it's been laying out there for three seasons and the connection makes so much sense. Now I just hope it's true.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
You remember when Hurley was in a meeting and some guy fell past the window? That was probably Locke.

Holy crow. Does the time work out? This was 4 years before Oceanic 815 went down (Ben said Locke was in a wheelchair for 4 years). How long before the crash did that scene with Hurley happen?
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
The video clip can be seen here.

Doesn't look like it's Locke, but maybe.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

The guy falling was screaming, and facing down. Locke fell silently with shattered glass all around him and was facing up. It would have been interesting, though.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, that happened at the most a year before the crash... more likely months. Doesn't fit. And Hurley was in an office building, while Locke and PopLocke were in an apartment building or hotel.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It amazes me that after how many times Locke has been taken in, he still falls for it EVERY SINGLE TIME. That man has zero capacity to learn.
John is nothing if not consistent. Watching him play with the chess-computer was hysterical. Does the man not know to stay away from buttons??

And I saw the window thing coming from a mile away. John has about an inch of foresight.

And I still don't think his reasons for blowing up the submarine make alot of sense. Is he so self-absorbed he wouldn't let his fellow Castaways get off the island? I really liked Locke until this season. Course, after what he's been through, I can't blame him for being a crazy bastard.

Great acting though. The terror in his eyes as he was lowered into the wheelchair...woah!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
HUGE SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to know the identities of The Final Five?

SyFy Portal has revealed some major spoilers for the Season 3 finale of "Battlestar Galactica."

If you can't wait for Sunday, check out www.SyFyPortal. com (top story).
http://www.syfyportal.com/news423442.html

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
That info would go really well in this thread.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Humm.... oops...
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben: "...What makes you think you know this island better than I do?"

Locke: "Because you're in a wheelchair, and I'm not."

Mooselet: "Now that's a good point."

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shannon: And I still don't think his reasons for blowing up the submarine make alot of sense. Is he so self-absorbed he wouldn't let his fellow Castaways get off the island?
Yes, he is. He is a zealot. He believes in The Island so much that he is willing ruin the chances of rescue because he thinks The Island is better. I do understand the roots of his zealotry. It healed him, and he thinks that it can save everyone. In Locke's mind, this is better, and maybe it is.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I watching Lost?

Are we actually getting the back story of two minor characters who are already dead?

This better go somewhere good.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, this isn't promising. I agree: I hope it goes somewhere.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Okay, that was pretty horrible. Stephen King horrible. Sheesh.
Strider
Member # 1807

Yeah, wow. I can't believe they did that. Crazy.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
This episode works as an homage to the old EC horror comics, right down to the telegraphed ending.

Doesn't work so well as an episode of an ongoing story.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I've seen this episode sans island and the spiders. I mean, doesn't every show do an episode like this??

And so much was footage from old episodes. What a waste of my hour!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
So, do they come back, or are they just buried alive? Sorry. That'll teach ya.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

We got to see Ethan, for no reason. We got to see Ben exposing his methods, as if we didn't already know them. About the only way the plot moved forward at all was Sun finding out about what Charlie and Sawyer did to her. That's it.

Oh, and the fact that they now have one of the Others' walkie talkies. Which might actually come in useful at some point.

Strider
Member # 1807

More than anything else, this episode made me miss season 1. And even some of season 2.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I hope this isn't what the writers meant when they said Nikki and Palo (that's his name, right?) had a larger role later in the season. If that's the case, what a lame hype up.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Unless they do. Who knows what Paolo did with that walkie while he had it, right? They may be dead, but they could figure in flashbacks, and we'd need this ep as a setup.

Just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the ending was awesome, even if I saw it coming. I mean, the spider was just too obvious to miss. Still, I would rather learn more about characters that we're already invested in rather than learn rather ridiculous facts about Nikki and Paulo.

I agree with Lisa that they didn't further the plot any. But then again, what exactly did the ping pong game do to further the plot? I think it's just that they've killed off so many great characters *cough* Eko *cough* that they need to add some new characters just to keep up the diversity. I think that's partly what the others were for.

Still, I want to know what the heck happened to Locke with his father. How did he get on the island?!? The other side of the island is so much more intriguing right now.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
That ending was awesome! I also thought the episode was ok, if a bit slow for this late in the season. Also, perhaps we haven't seen the end of Nikki and Paolo? This is the magical island afterall, so I could even see them still being alive.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst episode yet. I hope you're right, Lisa. Otherwise, like Shanna said.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

It's not the end of Nikki and Paulo. I know for a fact that they come back. Still, being buried alive is pretty cool. You have to at least give me that.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I thought the ending was awesome, even if I saw it coming. I mean, the spider was just too obvious to miss.

<nod> It was the "gun in the first act". Though I wasn't thinking very clearly, 'cause I'm sick, so I didn't realize it only paralyzed them until Nikki said it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I know for a fact that they come back.

How? Both how do you know, and how do they come back? After all, both Boone and Shannon are dead for real, and they were back in this ep.
Strider
Member # 1807

maybe Desmond has a vision at the last minute.

Though I think they're dead...and gone.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I read in Entertainment Weekly that the creators have some "grand vision" for Nikki and Paulo and there was a reason that they brought them onto the show. That does NOT mean killing them within the first 5 episodes that they're on. Plus, they wouldn't just leave this loose end. If they just die, and that's it, then there's this whole great plot point just sitting out there. They HAVE to capitalize on the story.

And it's not just flashbacks. I'm pretty sure they're going to add something to the plot on the island. I have no idea how, but it's going to happen.

Now, I'm not saying that I actually LIKE these guys. They annoy me to the extreme. Although, I have to say that Paulo is growing on me. But Nikki just bugs me. I wish they would die, but I doubt it.

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any reason why every episode has to further the overall plot. Some of my favorite episodes are just character stories that go nowhere in terms of the others or the island or rescue. I enjoyed the story, and I thought it was neat how those two and Artz were given some additional depth in terms of what they were doing in season 1 while the show focused on the main characters.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Also, and I just got this from reading an online article at the Entertainment Weekly website, Locke distinctly said that nothing stays buried on the beach. There has GOT to be a reason for that line. Perhaps the rainstorm that we saw in the next episode with Juliet and Kate fighting washes away the grave. That would make sense, wouldn't it?

Btw, sorry for the double post.

Edit: one more thing, the dog (I forget his name) KNEW that they weren't dead. He pulled the blanket off them, remember? So, maybe he digs them up or something.

Also, I can guarantee you that they're somehow "changed" when they come back up. Probably not to the extreme that Desmond changed, but there will be a difference.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
I read in Entertainment Weekly that the creators have some "grand vision" for Nikki and Paulo and there was a reason that they brought them onto the show. That does NOT mean killing them within the first 5 episodes that they're on. Plus, they wouldn't just leave this loose end. If they just die, and that's it, then there's this whole great plot point just sitting out there. They HAVE to capitalize on the story.

And it's not just flashbacks. I'm pretty sure they're going to add something to the plot on the island. I have no idea how, but it's going to happen.

Now, I'm not saying that I actually LIKE these guys. They annoy me to the extreme. Although, I have to say that Paulo is growing on me. But Nikki just bugs me. I wish they would die, but I doubt it.

Yeah, this is what I heard in the a similar interview in Toyfare/Wizard. They said they had some large role, which is why I said I'd be disappointed (particularly with the over-hype) if this was the end of them. My guess is we'll see them again though.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Also, I can guarantee you that they're somehow "changed" when they come back up. Probably not to the extreme that Desmond changed, but there will be a difference.

BRAAIIINS!
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

BRAAIIINS!
The Zombie Season! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Worst episode yet.
I think that award goes to the van episode.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.