FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 30)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Molly was the little girl in Episode two that Parkman saved.

Are you sure?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
And yet several times now we've seen him use the same voice that Eden used, which seems to suggest that somehow or another he in fact did get her power.

Otherwise, what's with the voice thing?

I can't remember the context of when he used the voice, but I do have a vague recollection of him using it. However, I can't seem to recall an exact incident in which he used the voice AND persuaded someone to do something. Is it possible that the actor was merely using a creepy voice that resembled Eden's voice?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Molly was the little girl in Episode two that Parkman saved.

Are you sure?
Nevermind. I found corroboration myself.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mama Petrelli's power is the dreams and that Peter simply absorbed it when his powers matured.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I think that the fact that this topic has reached 30 pages is a testament to the awesomeness of this show.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved this week's show, but it was the most blatant copy of X-Men yet. Up till now it has been sort of a prequel to X-Men with a little X-Files conspiracy theory thrown in. This week I was waiting to see a Sentinel come around the corner any min.

After they stop the bomb (which I assume will be at the end of season 1/cliff hanger start of season 2), the writers will have a challenge not letting it turn into the X-Men.

The show has been really good since it returned from the break.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Loved this week's show, but it was the most blatant copy of X-Men yet. Up till now it has been sort of a prequel to X-Men with a little X-Files conspiracy theory thrown in. This week I was waiting to see a Sentinel come around the corner any min.

After they stop the bomb (which I assume will be at the end of season 1/cliff hanger start of season 2), the writers will have a challenge not letting it turn into the X-Men.

The show has been really good since it returned from the break.

I shouldn't think so, if the bomb does not go off the existance of people with these powers will still be mostly a secret.

Although they do mention that in the aftermath of the bomb there is a huge surge of people with these genetic modifications. It will be interesting if the writers ever devise a catalyst.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... the writers will have a challenge not letting it turn into the X-Men.

I suspect that the budget will prevent that [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I shouldn't think so, if the bomb does not go off the existance of people with these powers will still be mostly a secret.

Although they do mention that in the aftermath of the bomb there is a huge surge of people with these genetic modifications. It will be interesting if the writers ever devise a catalyst. [/QB]

I was thinking more inline with the entire X-Men world. 30+ years at some point they have probably done a pretty good job of covering most of the issues that come up with a sub group of humans who develop super powers.... Groups of bad “heroes” banding together to take over, crimes, ect. Groups of good heroes coming together to stop them. Secret schools to train heroes how to use their powers, blend into regular society
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but people keep asking why killing Sylar will stop the bomb.

And the answer is that it won't. BUT, no one knows that. As far as everyone in the future is concerned, Sylar blew up New York and killed everyone. Future Peter seems to be the only one to know otherwise. Who in the present timeline knows that Peter is the bomb? Peter, Nathan, Linderman, Isaac(who's dead), anyone else?

The important thing is that Hiro doesn't know this information. But what I'm hoping is that present Hiro, after coming back from the future, realizes that saving the cheerleader didn't help and that something else went wrong. That killing Sylar isn't enough.

All the different players in the game aren't communicating everything they know to each other, that needs to happen for them to figure all this out.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Although they do mention that in the aftermath of the bomb there is a huge surge of people with these genetic modifications. It will be interesting if the writers ever devise a catalyst.

I was thinking more inline with the entire X-Men world. 30+ years at some point they have probably done a pretty good job of covering most of the issues that come up with a sub group of humans who develop super powers.... Groups of bad “heroes” banding together to take over, crimes, ect. Groups of good heroes coming together to stop them. Secret schools to train heroes how to use their powers, blend into regular society [/QB]
I dont see that happening with heroes. The characters are so diverse that there arn't really "evil mutants" (maybe exception of sylar) They are really like you or me, like normal humans, we arn't good or bad, we just do what we need to do.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point above about the characters being sufficently real to avoid senseless evil. That's kind of why the whole Nathan being evil in the future thing was so emotionally shocking, and why his being Sylar made it more "bearable."

Still, the last strip of the comic strip (which predicted the future -- how did it survive the blast?) ends with Sylar being stabbed. Clearly, that's a pivotal moment.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, a nuke doesn't necessarily incinerate an entire city. It looked to me like Simone's father's building and the neighborhood around it got hit by the shockwave, but weren't close enough to ground zero to burn.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Isaac gave the comic to a messenger to take somewhere, so I assume that wherever the messenger took it (to his publisher, maybe?) was a safe place in the city.

The new Entertainment Weekly has some nifty spoilers for the next three eps. Sylar's mother will be there, for example.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shabbit
Member # 9925

- posted      Profile for shabbit   Email shabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What about the last panel of the comic on NBC's website? The team mutant on mutant action reminded me the most of X-men. [Smile]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this episode, mainly because it somewhat focused on Sylar and his own feelings, doubts, and his past. It was interesting. I'm left wondering what sort of role Micah will play (if Linderman went to all that trouble). I'm also wondering (spoilers if you didn't watch the preview) how Sylar will stumble across Ted's powers (since it seemed like he had them when he said "Boom." in the preview).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Darn it, I thought that Syler had killed his mom in the snowglobe, and was thinking *best murder ever!* Did they have sex or something?

Yes, it was nice to have some sort of rational for Sylar, but I didn't like this episode that much. Felt kinda empty, though I can't say why.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

I had the same feeling, it didn't really drive anything forward. I liked knowing that Sylar was scared of blowing up, made him seem stopable and more human. Him drawing in his moms blood was freaky, gave me chills.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I'm left wondering what sort of role Micah will play (if Linderman went to all that trouble).

I didn't think of this until last night, but I think it's pretty clear that Micah will be rigging the voting machines so that Nathan wins the election. That explains why Linderman is so sure that he'll win, even though Nathan keeps dropping in the polls.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish they'd had Sylar go home to Mom a long time ago. This was the first time i really gave a crap about him. I think he's a much more effective villian now.

Second the creepiness of the painting in mom's blood.

I was also surprised to enjoy a DL and Jessica scene. I think DL took Linderman's spying pretty well. I'd have freaked out myself. Now here's hoping they can save Micah from the bomb.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I really enjoyed what they did with Sylars character. I really do roll my eyes at the unjustificable evil, the "I'll eat a baby for no reason whatsoever except to establish that I'm a bad guy."

Even Hiro saw that glimpse of a tortured soul. Good episode.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I agree the background on Sylar was good, but I am still ticked off that neither Hiro nor Mohinder killed him when they had the chance. This episode seemed to be mostly filler. Maybe 22 episodes is a bit much for one story arc.

To the point above. You guys are right; all of these characters so far are much more developed than the most of the comic book super heroes. But over the years X-men has rounded out many of its characters. Magneto isn't all good or bad. He believes what he is doing is for the best. In fact X-men probably has done a better job of developing characters than most of the Marvel universe. Of course I haven't read any of them in years.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
I didn't think of this until last night, but I think it's pretty clear that Micah will be rigging the voting machines so that Nathan wins the election. That explains why Linderman is so sure that he'll win, even though Nathan keeps dropping in the polls.

--Mel

I hadn't thought of that. It seems very plausible and likely. Good idea. [Smile]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:

--Mel

I hadn't thought of that. It seems very plausible and likely. Good idea. [Smile]
Forgive me if I come across as arrogant, but I thought this scenario was obvious from the moment Linderman said he needed to use Micah to get Nathan to win.

I am in agreement with folks about last night's episode and how it felt empty, in spite of some great development of Sylar's character (he actually HAS one now!).

The last two episodes had BETTER BE GOOD!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the episode was crucial for Sylar's character. I definately understand who he is far better. His name being Gabriel just felt "right."

Ice powers once again manifest! I really wish we knew how he got them.

Also it appears Sylar is not so skillful with his telekinetic powers, seems he bit off more then he could chew when he hurt his mother.

VERY interesting idea with Micah and the voting machines.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So how did Sylar unfreeze time just before Hiro stabbed him? Or was that Hiro weakening because he wasn't sure what he wanted to do?

I also liked that Sylar felt regret and fear for what he saw himself do in the future. I didn't realize (maybe they said it in another episode and I missed it?) that Sylar was taking other peoples powers because he thought that they didn't deserve it, but he was shocked and horrified at the idea of killing innocent people.

Good call on Micah Mel. I was trying to figure it out, and that seems like the best bet.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The way I understood it was that Hiro hesitated, closed his eyes, and then time started up again. I think his hesitation combined with closing his eyes (which he always seems to do when he activates his powers) just turned his time stopping power off. I don't think Sylar has any sort of power to get out of being frozen in time.

As for the voting machine stuff, I may have just missed part of a line somewhere in the show. I was multi-tasking at the time. I recall hearing that Linderman needed Micah, but I didn't hear that it was for the election. I thought it was just to fulfill that one painting/illustraton.

vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
I think his hesitation combined with closing his eyes (which he always seems to do when he activates his powers) just turned his time stopping power off.
Well that was pretty stupid of him.

Also, I really like the painting of Micah in the flames. I would hang it in my living room if I could.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty obvious (though maybe only to those of us without thorough grounding in super-power lore) that most of heroes have an incomplete grasp of their abilities. Peter struggles to control new abilities, or even use them without some effort/concentration.

With the possible exception of reactive abilities (like Claire's) or reactive use of abilities (like Niki/Jessica when she's threatened), most of them are as wobbly as a kindergartener who just had the training wheels taken off his bike. And even pro cyclists take a tumble now and again.

So these hiccups in abilities are not so much stupid (or betraying some thematic inconsistencies, as they might be seen to do in a spandex super-hero comic) as consistent with the underlying realism and humanity the show is going for. I think I like it this way better.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome episode.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I thought the voting machine thing was pretty obvious, but writer like to trick you so who knows.

Did anyone catch Sylar in the preview for next two weeks saying Boom. It looked like he wasn't in the city, and wasn't the one exploding. Assuming Peter doesn't blow up in the first scene next week, I'm guessing he's not the bomb. So we could back to it being Ted?

The only other scenario I can think of is they kill peter and then remove the bullets or what ever killed him in two days. When he wakes up he blows.

Have Peter’s mom or Lenderman said why the bomb will save millions of lives? Do we think that is really their motivations or are they just trying to create a puppet President?

SC Carver
Member # 8173

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to sneak a real bomb into NY than go through all this trouble to get a person to blow up there? Why is it important the explosion is a person?
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Do we think that is really their motivations or are they just trying to create a puppet President?
My guess is puppet president and then... the world.

quote:
Why is it important the explosion is a person?
Maybe so they will have a good excuse for when they want to start exterminating the 'mutants', like they wanted to do in the future last week? Why they wanted to do that in the first place though, I didn't catch.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Sylar wanted to exterminate them. He wanted to be the only one who was special. Remember that he had to pretend he was helping them in order to get his extermination package through.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

Yeah I agree, I dont think Linderman wants the extermination of the mutants, I think that was just Sylar as Nathan.

Does Sylar want to become President, like we know he does in the future episode, becuase his mom wanted him to?

Did any one else know that the "Walker" tracking system was going be a mutant as soon as Thompson metioned it to Mohinder?

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice that Mama Petrelli used the same phrase with Nathan last night that "future Hiro" used with Peter when he time travelled to the subway?

"be the one we need"

In Mama Petrelli's case, it was put into a question form, but it's interesting the writers chose to use the phrase in both cases. I'm sure they expected obsessive types like me to notice. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

But didn't the other bigwigs want to exterminate all of the mutants too? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I could swear I remember them talking about it... maybe it was just Sylar-as-Nathan, but I thought there were others.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more curious than ever about what happened in the past. I think it's clear that Mama Petrelli worked with the shadowy Linderman group to try and change things before it all went awry. That would confirm for me that she does have a power, and I want to know what it is. I also want to know what it is that their group did, who was in it, and how it fell apart. There's some great material for backstory here.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I was getting a vague impression that she may still be connected with the Linderman group. Don't really have anything to back it up.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Mohinder has GOT to be the biggest stooge on the planet. "Cure this girl who can find anyone, because, gosh, then we can catch Sylar!"

"Golly! Sure, that's a great idea!"

Meanwhile, wasn't he equally adamant that the organization NOT get control of any means of finding all the mutants? Doesn't he realize that curing Molly will ultimately mean the easy tracking of any and all mutants?

Phanto
Member # 5897

He's stupid.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not stupid, he's narrow minded.

I think he knows full well the consequences of what he's doing, but a combination of his fanatical need to end Sylar, and the memory of his sister's death are putting all thoughts of common sense out the window.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Can we say tunnel vision?
SC Carver
Member # 8173

Hopefully the writers will at least have him try to rescue her. Maybe he thought he could get her out once he cures her.

I don't know if she can tell the difference between mutant or non-mutant. Maybe she has to know who she is looking for first. A photo, a name or something. She would definitely be able to help them find any mutants they already know about. That is why they need his method for identifying them.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Mohinder has GOT to be the biggest stooge on the planet. "Cure this girl who can find anyone, because, gosh, then we can catch Sylar!"

Meanwhile, wasn't he equally adamant that the organization NOT get control of any means of finding all the mutants? Doesn't he realize that curing Molly will ultimately mean the easy tracking of any and all mutants?

Sylar killed his father and almost killed him as well. I imagine he'll do just about anything necessary to put the dog down. And worry about the repercussions afterwards.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Sylar killed his father and almost killed him as well. I imagine he'll do just about anything necessary to put the dog down. And worry about the repercussions afterwards.
Also, they can't tell Molly who to find if they don't have Mohinder's formula to figure out who they want to find in the first place.

Basically, Molly knows where they are; but Mohinder knows who they are. They need eachother.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Did anybody stop to think of the badness that would ensue if Sylar were to gain Molly's powers?

"Hm, I wonder where Claire is today?"

But yea. Combine Molly's (not quite) omniscience with Hiro's omnipresence and Claire's invulnerability and you have...ouch.

gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Peter should totally meet her then. If he does, masters his powers, and gets Suresh's list he can pretty obsorb every power in the world. Talk about omnipowerfull.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

"It's just a TV show". Heh.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
"It's just a TV show". Heh.

[ROFL]
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.