FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 29)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
When Peter and Sylar squared off:

*Peter stops time*

*Peter goes and takes a leak, eats a sandwich, and casually rips Sylar's head off with his super strength*

As cool as that confrontation was: ability to stop time > all other super powers

The only way I can justify him not using this power, would be if he was looking for the interesting fight which he claimed when Hiro asked if they should stop time for the guards.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That Peter and Sylar fight was friggin awesome. That was one of the best episodes yet.

Did anyone else cringe when they saw that Niki and Peter got together? Bleh!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The fight was nice for what -- two seconds? (Though rather kickin' two seconds). I was wondering if they would try to outdo the earlier scene when the whole house is blown up.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else cringe when they saw that Niki and Peter got together?
I cringed because I was upset that she was still alive, period.

I am really hoping she dies, somehow, someway, and soon.

I wonder what percentage of my hate for the character is the crappy acting, how much is the boring plot-lines she's always in, and how much is the character herself.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I definately cringed.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I cringed when future Hiro said Peter was in Vegas, as I just assumed that meant he had hooked up with Nikki.

I definitely loved the episode though. I was disappointed Hatrack was down as I had a lot of thoughts, but now they all escape me.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely Mother Petrelli doesn't have prescient dreams. They've just made a point of killing off the character in the show that can see into the future. Why have another one?

My only major complaint with this episode was that it's been clear that when Parkman reads minds, he hears WORDS. Given that Hiro's first language is Japanese, and his English isn't fantastic yet, surely he thinks in Japanese. I mean. Right? And then Parkman wouldn't be able to understand him.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think it's entirely possible that he reads thoughts, and those thoughts are transformed into words in his mind. I think he comes with a built in Rosetta Stone of sorts.

And as for Mrs. Petrelli knowing her kids had powers, I think it's because she had powers, and she just knew they had powers too, she didn't know what they were specifically.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, I got the sense that Peter and Hiro have to concentrate to use their power to stop time. Maybe it's something he couldn't stop to do when he was face to face with Sylar.

Reaching I know, but otherwise it would just irritate me that Peter would kill him easily. It already bugs me that Mohinder didn't just kill him when he was unconscious on the floor.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
In the second episode before the break there was a point where Parkman couldn't read Bennett's mind BECAUSE he was thinking in Japanese.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You might could say that Hiro's stressed out state of being arrested and trying to communicate in faltering English might have shifted his mind from Japanese into English mode.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
You might could say that Hiro's stressed out state of being arrested and trying to communicate in faltering English might have shifted his mind from Japanese into English mode.

I know that were I in his situation, I would be trying to think how I could articulate my thoughts into English so that Parkman would stop hurting me, and let me save the world.

Also the actor playing parkman did a masterful job playing a jerk, I was thoroughly angry at him by the end of the episode, on the downside, Parkman's character has lost alot of stock in my book.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
This last episode presented a dystopian future, if I may use the term. It was fascinating to see how the various characters reflected this dystopia, rather than being the same characters we've grown to know and love (or hate). Given the dreadful events of the five years, it is understandable to see how come otherwise likeable characters turned bitter and even ruthless.

(Of course, it is easier to make us DISlike a character than it is to make us like one we'd previously disdained.

I really admired the writers when they made various reveals that indicated Bennett, while flawed, was at least motivated by a somewhat decent conscience, where previously, he was suspected of being sinister and evil himself.)

Back to my original point, I think that the 'dark-side' of Parkman is something that will probably only last the duration of that particular episode, unless the heroes are unable to prevent the explosion and resulting events.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Peter and Hiro weren't much better. Hiro had become a terrorist and neither of them had any problem with killing all the guards when they went to save past-Hiro. They even discussed doing it the easy way by stopping time, but Peter hadn't had a good fight in a while.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Parkman has had five years to hone his abilities. Maybe he can read intent now(then), and not just words.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Besides time-stopping, Peter should be able to know what Sylar plans before he does it. He did get Parkman's mind-reading ability. I'm a little surprised Sylar hadn't killed Parkman to get that one.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Sylar was not able to shape shift before so did he kill the new young shape shifter girl? Probably around the same time he killed Patrelli.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

He must have killed DL too.
brojack17
Member # 9189

Is DL the atomic guy? Why was his flame blue and Peters red?
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
Is DL the atomic guy? Why was his flame blue and Peters red?

Those were not blue flames, it was ice, Sylar has used that power once before.

DL is Niki's ex husband who can move through solid objects.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:

It's been 5 years. Maybe Parkman learned Japanese.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Oh yeah. I'm terrible with names.

When did he use the ice, I don't remember that ep.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Sylar killed DL - I vaguely remember his name being on the list of people (to help break out past-Hiro) future-Hiro brought to Mr. Bennet.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

If Sylar did not kill DL then he killed someone else like him. He clearly went through the door on the last ep.
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
I vaguely remember his name being on the list of people (to help break out past-Hiro) future-Hiro brought to Mr. Bennet.
It's possible Hiro, nor Bennett, knew that DL had been killed if he had gone underground.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
Oh yeah. I'm terrible with names.

When did he use the ice, I don't remember that ep.

I think its the 2nd episode when they introduce Parkman's character/power, he is looking for the little girl and her mother has been fastened to the stairs with knives and her father in the middle of eating cereal is frozen solid and his brain has been removed.

No clue what THAT man's powers were.

edit: I suppose that COULD be where Sylar got his ice powers in the first place.

brojack17
Member # 9189

Nice. You have a much better memory than me.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
I don't think Sylar killed DL - I vaguely remember his name being on the list of people (to help break out past-Hiro) future-Hiro brought to Mr. Bennet.

Candace's name was on that list, too, but it still turned out that Sylar had killed her.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah - that makes more sense then.

Did anyone else wonder why Peter would have a big scar on his face when both he and Claire have been able to heal themselves without scars in the past?

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
He may have been in the presence of The Haitian. So he couldn't use that healing power when he recieved such an injury. Whatever the heck that might have been.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Oooh. I didn't think about that. Maybe he has an incounter with someone like Rogue (X-Men) who can take their powers away.

But then wouldn't he have that power and be able to take away Sylars powers when they meet?

I like this show.

zgator
Member # 3833

If Peter's innate ability is to absorb other's powers and the Haitian can block other's powers, then Peter couldn't absorb them. His ability to do so would be
blocked.

If the Haitian was working for "Nathan", he wouldn't use his ability against him just like he didn't use them to block Parkman's ability. Why didn't "Nathan", really Sylar, kill the Haitian to get his powers? That would have made him unstoppable.

brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
If Peter's innate ability is to absorb other's powers and the Haitian can block other's powers, then Peter couldn't absorb them. His ability to do so would be
blocked.

This sounds like a chicken or the egg situation. Who trumps who. The Haitian should be able to negate Peter's powers, but Peter should be able to absorb the Haitians power and, if you really want to get crazy, be able to use that power against the Haitian.

quote:
If the Haitian was working for "Nathan", he wouldn't use his ability against him just like he didn't use them to block Parkman's ability. Why didn't "Nathan", really Sylar, kill the Haitian to get his powers? That would have made him unstoppable.
The Haitian can keep Sylar from using his immobility and wig splitting powers.

Edit: fix quotes

Feer
Member # 9846

Is the Haitian working for Nathan (Sylar) or Parkman?
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Surely Mother Petrelli doesn't have prescient dreams. They've just made a point of killing off the character in the show that can see into the future. Why have another one?

They already have another because we know that Peter has prescient dreams and he had them before he met Isaac. The only question is who did Peter get the dream power from.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:

They already have another because we know that Peter has prescient dreams and he had them before he met Isaac. The only question is who did Peter get the dream power from.
Well who says that has to be a power at all, maybe he just happened to have them and will likely not have them ever again.
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
The Haitian can keep Sylar from using his immobility and wig splitting powers.
But if the Haitian thinks it's Nathan, he would have no reason to think he needs to be blocking his powers. Also, I don't think Sylar started out being able to open up skulls from across the room. He could always do it the old-fashioned way.
brojack17
Member # 9189

They didn't show him using his finger to open the watchmakers head. Maybe it was sometime after that. Or is being able to move a cup the same power as splitting someones head open.
zgator
Member # 3833

Wait a sec. I thought Sylar was the watch maker.
brojack17
Member # 9189

That's right. Who was the first guy he met. He was the one that could move stuff, right?

My old age is showing (it's sad that I'm only 32).

gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else wonder why Peter would have a big scar on his face when both he and Claire have been able to heal themselves without scars in the past?
Wasn't the only reason he met Claire was the whole save the cheerleader save the world thing? In this alternate timeline didn't he never meet her, or did he meet her before that? And by the way, if Sylar takes peoples brains out to learn their powers, how was Clair able to regenerate?
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The way I understood was that in the original timeline (let's call it timeline #1), Sylar killed Claire, took her power, and no one could stop him. Future Hiro, disliking this, traced it back to that event and went back in time to tell Peter to save the cheerleader (thus creating timeline #2).

In timeline #2, Peter does save Claire and she does survive. Something still goes wrong though. Sylar's not beaten, and Peter explodes (or something), destroying New York. Sylar is blamed for this. Sylar kills Nathan and takes his place (after killing the shapeshifting girl). A bunch of other stuff happens (which is referenced in the episode). This is the future that we saw.

Now Hiro is going back and trying to create a timeline #3, where nothing bad happens. Claire's still been saved. Hopefully Sylar can be stopped somehow, and hopefully Peter won't blow up New York. We'll have to see though.

The question I always had though had to deal with how Sylar could cut Claire's head open. Is it just that his telekinesis (or whatever he's using to do it) is just faster than her ability to regenerate? Because I mean going as slowly as he seems to, you'd think the regeneration would be able to keep pace (small cut made, it heals, small cut made, it heals).

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

The only time that Claire can't heal is when something is sticking inside her brain. If you think of Sylar's head-opener as a psychic knife, she does have something sticking inside her brain when it's happening.
Feer
Member # 9846

Sylar could just throw glass at her, that seems to do well against quik healing powers.

I think that Peter will still blow up new york, but it will be evacuated, like was shown in the dream he had.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, but wouldn't he need her brain to figure out how her power works? Maybe I'm playing off wrong assumptions here, but I thought (what with him being a clock/watch repair peson) that his power involved seeing how things worked and implementing them in himself. If that's the case though, wouldn't damaging her brain via a psychic knife keep him from being able to get her power? Or are we assuming that the brain has nothing to do with it (which seems contrary to what we've seen, what with all the sawed off heads)?
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT!!!
From "Watch with Kristin" (E! Online)

quote:
I'm also told the bomb does go off in the season finale, but how and when it happens prevents the loss of a massive amount of innocent life. Anybody get the connection yet about why Nathan was running toward Peter in the scene of the bomb's explosion?
This sounds kinda close (but not right on target) to my wild speculation back in December:

quote:
In the really wild conjecture category, I just thought out a scenario for his vision that really could result in him saving NY and everyone around him.

According to the vision, he's surrounded by lots of the main characters. Claire, Hiro, DL and Nathan are all nearby.

If this scenario really does play out, could Peter time-travel using Hiro's ability? Like maybe back to June 30, 1908? That's the date of a major explosion in Siberia - and the nature of the blast is still being debated.

Using Nathan's power's he could come in on an aerial trajectory. Using some combination of Claire and DL's powers he might even survive.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, there's some sort of Molly character who is the only one who can stop Syler...
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Molly was the little girl in Episode two that Parkman saved.

My guesses? Mama Petrelli has an astral plane projection and can have out of body experiences. If she was prescient, she would have told the Haitian Claire was going to try to escape. Perhaps she can teleport? But that wouldn't explain why she knows so much. My guess is that when Peter dreamt about Nathan in the car wreck, he was using his mom's powers. Because, last time I checked, Peter, while being an empath, doesn't know where other people are and what they are doing.

Molly, though. Hmmm. Why would Hiro need Molly when infiltrating homeland security, and why would she be the only one who can stop Sylar? Perhaps her ability is something like the Haitians?

My question? Why did Jessica go away after the blast?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Yeah, but wouldn't he need her brain to figure out how her power works? Maybe I'm playing off wrong assumptions here, but I thought (what with him being a clock/watch repair peson) that his power involved seeing how things worked and implementing them in himself. If that's the case though, wouldn't damaging her brain via a psychic knife keep him from being able to get her power? Or are we assuming that the brain has nothing to do with it (which seems contrary to what we've seen, what with all the sawed off heads)?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he needs a more or less intact brain to do whatever he does. Eden was able to prevent him from getting her power by shooting herself in the head.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And yet several times now we've seen him use the same voice that Eden used, which seems to suggest that somehow or another he in fact did get her power.

Otherwise, what's with the voice thing?

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.