FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 28)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh oooh ooh!

This is a sneak peak with a new scene. So if you're like me, you'll watch it. If you want to wait, then don't.

HUGE SPOILER! Video

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh...neat video. I wasn't surprised about the ending of it, although I didn't think of it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's awesome. But, like pfresh, I wasn't really surprised..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't surprised either, but it's still very cool. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a huge suprise, but still good. I can't wait for it to start again.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Heroes. I can't believe how far away it still is.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chord
Member # 10122

- posted      Profile for Chord   Email Chord         Edit/Delete Post 
Linderman even has blue eyes... !
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is going to come too late to some people and the TV seems to have been silent on this, but Heroes resumes tonight! Ill be watching it right after Drive, yay for good TV scheduling!

PS: If you miss the episode you can always watch it online sometime tomorrow at www.nbc.com

Finally get to see the Peter Sylar showdown!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...

Awesome opening sequence.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck? Why didn't Peter stop the glass? Or ... duck?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I need to rewatch this episode. My cable died so I am watching it over my crappy rabbit ears, so the quality is very poor. I can see it and hear it, but it's just bad.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
No scar yet.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well it was a good episode (from what I could make out). I especially liked Hiro meeting his future self in the future. I'm looking forward to the 2012 episode next week.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

That was a pretty good one. Not my favorite, but good. I'm glad Claire found the piece of glass. That fit well. I'm also glad Linderman is evil (sort of ...?). So it seems like Nathan is going to go along with it?

Next week looks cool.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Very pleased with this episode, definitely not the best, but it really threw the plot solidly forward for every character. Not only that, I really like the direction the show is taking.

The whole "You can't fight the future" theme was very interesting, I am glad it appears they are exploring the future where the bomb has exploded.

I am very excited to see the remaining 4 episodes, I am still unsure if they are going to end this show or lead into another season. I really think it could go either way at this point.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent half the episode screaming "TAKE THE FRICKIN GLASS OUT OF HIS HEAD!"
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
me too [Smile]

Also notice that either Sylar's painting skills are either disturblingly subpar or his seer abiility is perverted and possibly incorrect now?

Also very great reference to greek tradgedies, the moment Sylar walked into Isaacs apartment I realized "hey if Sylar knew his myths held realize knowing the future is a VERY bad idea".

Im just waiting for the Doctor to come along and fix everything [Frown] or wait [Big Grin] he already has!

To me this was an awesome epidsode and I am glad Isaac had an epithiny. however think the latest comics he made contained the information on how to stop Sylar?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the episode, although I had three problems with it (fairly quibbling, but hey, what's Hatrack for?):

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD (FOR HEROES AND THE WATCHMEN)

1. Linderman's "I used to be a superhero who realized that the only way I could really help the world would be to blow up New York to save humanity from itself" plot. Ozymandias much?

2. The scene with Peter and Sylar.
A: Couldn't Sylar just hear Peter with his super hearing? Why bother with the slow, dramatic hovering glass (which should have given Peter ample time to escape)?
B: Someone already mentioned this, but since Sylar's hovering glass was so slow and dramatic (and dispersed across a flat plane parallel to the floor) why didn't Peter just duck? My wife brought up the point that perhaps it happened faster than we saw (the camera was slowed down for effect) and Peter panicked and turned to flee. I could buy that, but the fact that Sylar couldn't just hear him bothered me.

3. (This one is really minor). At the end, Mohinder is talking in his father's apartment, apparently to himself, but then somebody steps out of the shadows. Mohinder is surprised that it's that other company man he's talking to (name escapes me) rather than Mr. Bennett. So, either other company man came to the door, Mohinder let him into the apartment, allowed him time to situate himself in the shadows (all without looking at him) before launching into a soliloquy, OR company man just "appeared" in the shadows (let himself into the apartment via some other means) and Mohinder launched into a soliloquy without investigating the person lurking in the shadows because, you know, no one skulky has tried to KILL him in the past 24 hours. <- awesome run on sentence

Besides those three points, good episode.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by His Savageness:

2. The scene with Peter and Sylar.
A: Couldn't Sylar just hear Peter with his super hearing? Why bother with the slow, dramatic hovering glass (which should have given Peter ample time to escape)?
B: Someone already mentioned this, but since Sylar's hovering glass was so slow and dramatic (and dispersed across a flat plane parallel to the floor) why didn't Peter just duck? My wife brought up the point that perhaps it happened faster than we saw (the camera was slowed down for effect) and Peter panicked and turned to flee. I could buy that, but the fact that Sylar couldn't just hear him bothered me.

See, I interpreted that as Sylar pausing to use his super-hearing to find Peter. He was probably also savoring the moment, knowing that he could so easily overcome Peter's invisibility defence.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mell, I thought the same.

Blayne, That was one of the best puns, ever! Except it was Peter who got pithed. But still, pure punny genius!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Still, why didn't Peter use his telekinesis? Or fly to the ceiling? But Sylar wouldn't see that one coming. Or nuke Sylar. That would've been funny. Or read Sylar's mind to see what he was going to do? Why was he turned around? Was he running away? The scene just bothered me.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Oh, and any guesses as to Peter and Nathan's moms power?

And is it for sure that Peter is the blowing up man? Ted is going to be in New York now.

And is the assumption that by sending Claire away, Nathan is acquiescing to Lindermans big boom plan? Since Peter was saying maybe she could stop it, and Nathan sent her away?

And what plan of Lindermans would involve a technopath?

And last tidbit - Did they ever explain how they were able to block powers in the first few episodes? Why Parkman couldn't read Bennet's mind before but now he's doing it easily?

Ok, I'm done now.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Was is Mohinder that pushed the shelf into Sylar? How was he able to do that, wouldn't Sylar have noticed using any number of powers at his disposal?

I still thought it was a great scene though, I was clapping loudly through half of it. Also, the Hiro meeting future-Hiro was awesome. I can't wait to see what happens to Jessica/Nikki and her son. That part had me in hysterics too.

Excellent episode, but as with all of them, I'm left wondering, what would I have done if I had those powers? Probably something different.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangelove: I always thought it was the Haitian who could block powers, along with erase people's memories. Parkman tried reading Bennet's mind near the end of the last series (I think when the Haitian wasn't around) only to find out Bennet was thinking in Japanese.

Now that Peter has had contact with Sylar, he should now have access to ALL Sylar's powers. Sweet!!!

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I'm guessing Sylar was salivating over Peter too much to pay any attention to anything else.

How much is Sylar even the villain now? All he's doing is killing individual heroes. Sure that's bad, but Linderman is the one everyone is concerned with stopping. Nuclear bomb takes precedent over psychopathic killer.

Maybe Peter can only use one power at a time? That would explain why Peter couldn't do anything against the glass.

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
My theory is they will use Micah to rig the election so Nathan wins.

And Bennet was always with The Haitian who I believe can block powers unless I'm mistaken.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
Strangelove: I always thought it was the Haitian who could block powers, along with erase people's memories. Parkman tried reading Bennet's mind near the end of the last series (I think when the Haitian wasn't around) only to find out Bennet was thinking in Japanese.

Now that Peter has had contact with Sylar, he should now have access to ALL Sylar's powers. Sweet!!!

But why did the Haitian let Nathan go? Though ... I guess if he was working with Mrs. Petrelli that would be a reason. Kinda confusing. The Haitian, who was working with Bennet to protect Claire, is also in communication with Claire's real grandmother. And if he's the one who blocks powers, he let Claire's real father escape. Also interesting, would Sylar or Peter absorb that power? If their power is blocked, I guess they wouldn't. That would be handy to have though.

And I don't know ... We still don't know how Sylar does what he does. We know it involves brains, but what was his original power? Cannabalism? I think it's possible or likely that Peter wouldn't get all the powers Sylar has stolen, only his original power.

Ok, yeah, this is really my last post before I go study - If Sylar got even a glimpse of "the list" or even the program, shouldn't he be able to remember and recreate it with Charlie's power?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I made a pun.....?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

His original power had to do with seeing how things work, which is why he was able to fix clocks so well and all. We don't know how he uses this power to absorb the other peoples' powers though.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so the web comic explains a LOT.

In the timeline that existed prior to Hiro's intervention (when Future Hiro told Peter to save the cheerleader), this is what happened.

Sylar kills Claire and gains her power.
Sylar kills Ted and gains his power
Sylar trys to blow up NYC, but is stabbed by Hiro.
Sylar regenerates, and succeeds in blowing up NYC.
This prompts Hiro to find a way to change it, so long as he can prevent Sylar from getting Claire's abilities.
He returns to his own time, confused as to why his plan did not work.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
If Sylar has an amazing sence of how things work, then he can pry open a brain and find out how that power works, at least that my under standing.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's episode was definitely interesting. It kept me watching and I am very curious about next week.

I have huge plausibility problems with the Peter/Syler fight. I think it's all been mentioned...but unless I missed it, here's one more:

Mohinder knocking Syler out at the end? Peter was temporarily dead (always clear it was temporary...I was annoyed at how long it took them to find the glass) and somehow Mohinder manages to catch this guy off guard and knock him out long enough to get past him BUT of course, he doesn't put a bullet in his head while he was at it!

I also found Linderman to be far less interesting in person than he was as the mysterious man behind the scenes. I think they should have kept him there.

I am interested in knowing what Peter and Nathan's mom's power is.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

OKAY.

I just want to put in the random observation that Future Peter looks and dresses a lot like Neo from the Matrix.

So...Parkman kills future Bennett (not that it means anything. In all liklihood that timeline will disappear, if Hiro succeeds).

We have confirmation now that the Haitian can supress ALL powers (or at least, all that we've encountered), and not just telepathy. It remains to be seen what the range is, and whether the skill is passive or must be conciously employed. Can he turn it off, does he have to be conscious for it to work, etc. still needs to be determined.

We have confirmation that Peter was the bomb...

We see that Sylar is somewhat obsessed (to say the least) with acquiring Claire's abilities, which at least partially accounts for his rounding up of mutants. Do you suppose that he was harvesting powers from prisoners?

And we didn't see Peter's/Nathan's mother this episode. Is this significant?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Freaky episode. I think it will be irrelevant if they manage to change the past, though.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Did we ever see Peter use more than one power at a time this episode? It might be a critical plot point to know if his use of other powers is somehow limited.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am interested in knowing what Peter and Nathan's mom's power is.
I'm going to speculate that she has prescient dreams. A prescient dream of Nathan's crash was Peter's first expressed super power and yet we still don't know who he got this power from. What's more, Mom Petrelli said she knew about Nathan's and Peter's powers before they did which would be explained if she has prescient dreams.

quote:
And we didn't see Peter's/Nathan's mother this episode. Is this significant?
I think the key significance is that we still don't know whether or not she is in league with Linderman. Because she wasn't in this episode we still have no idea where her true loyalties lie.

quote:
Freaky episode. I think it will be irrelevant if they manage to change the past, though.
There are several things we learned that aren't irrelevant.

We learned that Peter is definitely the bomb.

We learned that what Isaac paints/draws can be changed and that Isaac saw a route to a different future.

We learned the Haitian has the ability to supress peoples powers.

We learned that the mutations can not be reversed or treated.

What else?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel really bad for Isaac. He died thinking he had given Hiro the answer to save the world, but I don't think he did. What good is stabbing Syler if A) it's what Hiro did the first time to no effect and B) Peter is the one who blows up anyway?

I don't think anything Hiro intends to do is actually going to save the world. You'd think a man who can time travel would go back to the moment the bomb exploded and see exactly what happened. (Or take Peter or Claire who can regenerate and therefore aren't in danger.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:

We have confirmation now that the Haitian can supress ALL powers (or at least, all that we've encountered), and not just telepathy. It remains to be seen what the range is, and whether the skill is passive or must be conciously employed. Can he turn it off, does he have to be conscious for it to work, etc. still needs to be determined.

He must be able to control it, Parkman was able to read Hiro's mind while in the room with the Haitian.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Feer:
quote:

He must be able to control it, Parkman was able to read Hiro's mind while in the room with the Haitian.
Now, how much can he control it? Can he, say, supress Hiro's abilities while leaving Parkman free to read minds? Or what?
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
But what makes Peter explode?

Isn't is still possible that killing Sylar could prevent whatever brings Peter to critical mass?

Oh, and did anyone notice the Haitian talking at all this episode? I didn't, and I'm wondering why.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

The Haitian hardly talks in any episode, why talk in this one?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Matt Parkman is a bad person. I think almost anyone could, given the right circumstances, find themselves doing things that aren't right.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Yeah, Parkman doesn't strike me as being cruel or evil but rather just a person doing his job.

I was kind of wondering why killing sylar would stop the bomb. I was also wondering (briefly) if the guy Hiro "killed" was actually Peter, but that makes no sense at all.

Avid: The difference is that now Sylar can't regenerate.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not usually shocked at a development on a TV show but when it was revealed Sylar was Nathan my jaw dropped...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Yeah, that really freaked me out as well, but somehow made it more emotionally acceptable. Syler is just an evil character, so his presence means that I can emotionally detach to a greater degree, as opposed to when a human with whom I emphasize does something evil which is highly painful.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was originally thinking, "Sylar can freaking stop bullets, how is a sword going to stop him?"

Then I remembered that Hiro can manipulate time. *ashamed*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't Hiro go back in time and get rid of Sylar before he starts taking people's brains?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
There are clearly severe limitation to what can be done jumping to the past. We don't know the rules but we know that Hiro couldn't save Charlie. We know that when he visited Peter he said he was risking a rupture in space time by coming. We know that he has been studying the time line trying to find the precise moment when he can change things rather just going back and trying stuff. We know he needed to send present day Hiro back to stop Sylar rather than going himself. At any rate there seem to rules that limit what Hiro can do and future Hiro clearly has a better understanding of those rules than we do.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Now, how much can he control it? Can he, say, supress Hiro's abilities while leaving Parkman free to read minds? Or what?

I thought that was pretty clearly answered by the fact that Parkman was reading Hiro's mind in the room where the Haitian was supressing his powers.
Phanto
Member # 5897

It's kinda a hole why Parkman couldn't pick up that Hiro had time traveled in. I think Hiro'd have thought of that sooner or later. Furthermore, when Syler was under all that drugging with Bennet, he seemed to come back from the dead.

What would stabbing him with a knife do that being killed with drugs didn't? Or perhaps there Syler used some power that let him fake death, and had he actually been physically killed he'd have died?

Anyway, trivia: The character who plays Hiro came from Brown! [Smile]

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.