FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 15)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I don't think he has mind control either otherwise we would have a situation where 2 people have the same power, as in Sylar and Eden can do the same thing.

But then again Sylar flew in that episode and nobody can explain how he did that without getting Nathan's brain.

Looked less like flying than like super human agility.

Either way, there's no rule against two people having the same power.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not the Wheel of Time series, nothing says that Sylar cannot lift and move himself with his telekinetic power. In fact I once created a super powered hero martial artist who was a limited telekinetic, he could move only himself with his powers but because the speed telekinetic manipulation is light-speed instead of neural conduction speed he was pretty able. I miss the old Marvel games... Shift X anyone?
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Sylar's actions when he was escaping from the cop dude looked exactly like Nathan when he was escaping from Mr. Bennet. Kind of a bending of the knees and then *woosh* up he goes. IMO.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Sylar can detect powers. It seems like he would've stayed and gotten the cops power if he could detect them at the drop of a hat. And there's the thing with choosing the wrong cheerleader. So yeah, maybe if he really concentrates or something ... Oh, I don't know. We'll find out.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its possible for blood to leak if you have an annerism, look at the evil dude in 5th Element when he was hypertensed/stressed, he burst a blood vessel me thinks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
When Sylar encorporated Claire's brain, do you suppose he got her aneurism as well as her powers?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Charlie, not Claire.

I'd say it depends on the manner he uses to get their powers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, Charlie. I don't know why I typed Claire.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
LOST
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by General Sax:
This is not the Wheel of Time series, nothing says that Sylar cannot lift and move himself with his telekinetic power. In fact I once created a super powered hero martial artist who was a limited telekinetic, he could move only himself with his powers but because the speed telekinetic manipulation is light-speed instead of neural conduction speed he was pretty able. I miss the old Marvel games... Shift X anyone?

Superboy (the clone one who they killed off recently) used tactile telekinesis for everything, probably including flying.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The show's being really vague about Charlie. Apparently, according to the other diner waitress, Hiro "walked out of Charlie's life weeks ago", so Charlie could have come home after the almost-kiss business and gotten killed by Sylar anyway. Or she might have died somewhere else, of an aneurysm.

And I don't think Hiro changed the past by coming back in time to see Peter; I think he just made sure it happened the way it had already happened in his present. Doesn't that seem likely?

Also, I think Hiro can use his powers with much more accuracy when he isn't under stress. That's seemed to be the trend.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
When Sylar encorporated Claire's brain, do you suppose he got her aneurism as well as her powers?

Now that would be interesting...if after everything it is an aneurysm that kills Slyar rather than another one of the mutants.

Even thought that would make for a good story, I'd still be upset that she died, I think she would be a good addition to the story...much better than Nikki/Jessica

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

My predictions for tonight. Because they said that one hero will die, and one hero will turn traitor.

My guess is that the shot Jessica took actually blew D.L. away, and that Jessica is going to join Linderman and break Sylar out of jail.

I know that's a lot. It presupposes that Linderman and Sylar have a connection, which hasn't even been hinted to in the show.

I think that Micah is going to be helping hunt Jessica down, and that he's going to consider her as having killed both of his parents.

It's finitely possible that the hero who turns traitor is going to be Eden, after we saw the kind of person she used to be. Otherwise, it's a whole lot of change in 6 months. But my money is still on Jessica. I can't see how someone as feral as she is could ever learn to play well with others.

The heros we know of are Nathan, Peter, Hiro, Claire, Isaac, Micah, D.L., Niki, Matt, Eden, Ted (the radioactive guy), and the Haitian. I'm not counting Charlie, because she's already dead.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

My predictions:

The Hero who will die: D.L., but it won't be Jessica who kills him. He will somehow survive Jessica's shot, he and Micah will do something to rescue Niki and redeem Jessica but then D.L. will be killed by Sylar.

The Hero who turns traitor: Nathan.

Lisa
Member # 8384

If Jessica gets redeemed, I imagine Niki will die in the same ep.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

When Niki/Jessica was nearly killed a few weeks back, my husband said "She's not dead. She's the shows sex interest so their not going to get rid of her that quick".
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the traitor is Peter, because in an interview one of the producers said that Peter will have a struggle deciding whether to be good or evil.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with Nathan, but has he ever really been a hero? I mean he has powers, but he would love them to go away. He blames them for surviving the crash that hurt his wife and sees them as an emberassment if they ever get publically known.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt its Peter it would be too wierd to have Sylar who covets the powers of others being joined by Peter who absorbs the powers of others. Peter has demonstrated time and time again that he is pretty altruistic. Going so far as to feign insanity for his brother's sake. It also does not work for me for the following reasons.

1: You'd have two guys with powers that are too similar, would The Human Torch and Phoenix be enjoyable to watch as a team? The Hulk and The Thing?

2: Sylar and Peter are too similar in their desire to understand their powers. Peter wanted to know what made him different he was sure there was something, and so did Sylar.

My Predictions: Isaac The Artist will die, we already know Sylar gets to him in the future which means he has his address/info. What exactly has happened to protect him from that fate? Nothing I can see.

I really want to say Nathan is the traitor. He has no loyalty to ANYBODY as has been demonstrated in the past. Everything he does even if it's for others it to protect himself. He cheats on his wife and does not have any qualms doing so, he says he is trying to protect his brother from himself by splashing paint on the painting but really its more to protect his image as a candidate. And I really believe Nathan does not believe he can fight Linderman, and I'm with Lisa, I believe Sylar and Linderman are related somehow. Linderman will have Nathan bail Syler out via Nathan flying him away before he can be killed.

Thats my prediction.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
I would go with Nathan, but has he ever really been a hero? I mean he has powers, but he would love them to go away.

He's broken. <grin>
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
I would go with Nathan, but has he ever really been a hero? I mean he has powers, but he would love them to go away.

He's broken. <grin>
Or his wife is. Maybe sylar claims he can "fix" Nathan's wife. I think that would probably be enough to turn Nathan over to the dark side.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a clue about the two marks on the necks of the cop and AtomBob?
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

If Nathan turns traitor it would give a very plausible reason for Peter's struggle to decide between good and evil. Peter doesn't seem to be motivated by the kind of self centeredness typical of villains so its going to be difficult to find a believable reason for him to be tempted by evil. Loyalty and love for his brother would provide that.

I think Peter's power will turn out to be a kind of super empathy. I think he is able to understand people at a subconscious level that is so deep that he is able to mimic their super powers.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I agree with the idea that they're parts of a double helix. Same with Jessica's mark.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
2: Sylar and Peter are too similar in their desire to understand their powers. Peter wanted to know what made him different he was sure there was something, and so did Sylar.

I agree. They are similar enough to be foils. The first couple of episodes, I thought Peter might be evil. The way he talked was exactly like Sylar talks- about being special, feeling of destiny, wanting to use powers, etc. I agree that putting the two together would be very uninteresting.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Bao: I thought the exact same thing about Peter when I first encountered him. The episode where they introduce Sylar's origins was when I thought, "Wow he is like Peter X10 with a serial killer twist."
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Evil twin!
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Except that Sylar has to kill people to absorb their power. Peter just has to be near them as far as we know. the thing I'm confused about is how Sylar does it. After he kills the people he obviously takes their brain, but how does he attain their powers within himself?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
Except that Sylar has to kill people to absorb their power. Peter just has to be near them as far as we know. the thing I'm confused about is how Sylar does it. After he kills the people he obviously takes their brain, but how does he attain their powers within himself?

If we were meant to know the specifics by now the writers would have done so. Obviously they do not feel like telling their audience just yet.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

But I need to know!
Lisa
Member # 8384

Who says Sylar needs to take their brains? He does, but that doesn't mean he needs to. He's a certifiable whackjob. Maybe he could do it Peter's way. Maybe Peter could do it his way. But Sylar is who he is, and Peter is who he is, and that makes all the difference.

I'd actually like for the two of them to have the exact same power, and have how it's implemented be purely an issue of choice.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I agree. They are similar enough to be foils. The first couple of episodes, I thought Peter might be evil. The way he talked was exactly like Sylar talks- about being special, feeling of destiny, wanting to use powers, etc. I agree that putting the two together would be very uninteresting.
I'd have to go back and look at the episodes but I think there is a subtle but important distinction. Sylar talks about wanting to be special, wanting to be extraordinary. Peter talks about wanting to do something special, wanting to make a difference. I think that is what will ultimately make the difference between Peter and Sylar.

Sylar consumes the powers of others because he is obsessed with being extraordinary.

Peter is simply able to use the powers of others to make a difference without actually becoming anything extraordinary in his own right. Alone, he really isn't anything. I think that this will be enough for Peter if he is able to work with and through others to make a difference. It would never have been enough for Sylar.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Is Niki/Jessica's split personality part of her super power? Last week we learned that Jessica was around protecting Niki from her father's beatings years ago before the super strength manifested itself. That suggests that Jessica isn't part of the super power, she is simply a psychological disorder resulting from childhood abuse. Jessica may play the same role for Niki that heroine plays for Isaac, it allows her to access her super strength.

If that is the case, perhaps Niki could learn to access this power without Jessica. Maybe the mind erase guy could erase Jessica and then they could help Niki learn to control her super strength.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Is Niki/Jessica's split personality part of her super power? Last week we learned that Jessica was around protecting Niki from her father's beatings years ago before the super strength manifested itself. That suggests that Jessica isn't part of the super power, she is simply a psychological disorder resulting from childhood abuse. Jessica may play the same role for Niki that heroine plays for Isaac, it allows her to access her super strength.

If that is the case, perhaps Niki could learn to access this power without Jessica. Maybe the mind erase guy could erase Jessica and then they could help Niki learn to control her super strength.

General Sax
Member # 9694

Sylar's power was to recognize when something was broken and know how to fix it. When he sees the 'break' he can fix it but I suspect that his power to fix can also be used to break, even himself, in the way that the person he studies is broken.

It seems that if he is breaking himself over and over to accumulate power he may also be accumulating collateral damage, magnifying his psychosis for its original megalomania to outright schizoid paranoia.

In my first statement about Sylar I mentioned the parallels between Sylar and Voldemort. I think this is another, Sylar tearing at his own soul over and over to accumulate power with absolute disdain for his own humanity and the lives of others.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd have to go back and look at the episodes but I think there is a subtle but important distinction. Sylar talks about wanting to be special, wanting to be extraordinary. Peter talks about wanting to do something special, wanting to make a difference. I think that is what will ultimately make the difference between Peter and Sylar.
It's the difference between trying to change the world and trying to heal the world.

quote:
Maybe sylar claims he can "fix" Nathan's wife. I think that would probably be enough to turn Nathan over to the dark side.
That's an appropriate tragedy.

[ December 04, 2006, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ick, I suck at these but here's mine:

Eden dies, killed during Sylar's escape.

Jessica totally takes over Niki, but DL phases out before the bullet can take him. Jessica is a bit off her rocker too if she thinks Micah will willingly go back with her after she mows his father down right in front of him. So Jessica is the "traitor."

I don't see Nathan doing it, Nathan was going to try and take down the mobsters when he was in the DA's office. Peter has been portrayed as too damned idealistic and altruistic to turn now, it would make zero sense, same with Claire, too innocent. And there's what, three sides? Mr. Bennet, The Good Guys, and Sylar, and Linderman would make four sides. So when you say someone turned traitor, does that just mean they switched sides? It could mean the Haitian became a good guy (highly doubtful). But I think Mind Reader, Claire, Peter, Nathan and Hiro are all offlimits for being the traitor. Isaac can't control his power making him a useless traitor (he's my other guess for who dies).

If Eden doesn't die, I could see her being the traitor, and Isaac being killed in the process.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Isaac will be "traitor." I think he will join up with mr bennet and that is what the promos call traitorous, but I don't know how bad that really is since we don't know what bennet is up to.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Lisa: I've said quite a few times that I think Syler takes brains as a trophy just as serial killers do.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So who is Mr. Bennett taking orders from?

Edited 9:40 - ooo Isaac can prophesize sober now, and he saw Ted blowing up.

[ December 04, 2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
That was freaking coooool!
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Ick, I suck at these but here's mine:

Eden dies, killed during Sylar's escape.

Wow. You nailed that.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
awesoem epidose thigns are really picking up now.

Nice to see that Isaac can draw sober even if he doesnt realize he does when he first did.

And wow it makes sense if Peter doesnt really control his powers well its likely he could obliterate his own powers.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I guess I suck at those a little less than I think.

What the heck is going on with the Haitian though? He CAN talk, but is he taking orders from Mr. Bennett or someone higher up? Or is he really acting on his own and being a good guy by letting Claire in on what is going on? Yay maybe I was right about that too! (doubtful)

Lots of twists and turns in this episode though, and as always, we actually get answers, but always tied to tons more questions.

General Sax
Member # 9694

quote:
Eden is the girl who can make suggestions? I missed her name but she is certainly the one that will die next episode, from a plot standpoint she is the expendable one,
Me first...

So the Haitian turned traitor... looks like daddy has not won the hearts and minds so much as he thought he had. Also why the confidence that Sylar was neutralized in that place? Was it proximity too the Haitian or was it something about the location, or was it a drug?

Peter seems very sick, now is this Sylar's sickness that Claire's healing cannot cure or is it a symptom of too many powers already? If it is a link with Sylar combined with the subliminal abilities he has accumulated he coud be seeing the future from Sylars point of view, after Sylar gets the power to generate radiation. One does wonder what happens to Peter if he has five or six powers around himself though.

It looks like Hiro is going to do a time bandits thing, but I would not trust a sword against a T-Rex, I have tried to cut a tire with one and I suspect it would be much the same.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't know Peter explodes in the future, only that he thinks that's what he saw. He might have seen himself becoming something else...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
We know Peter gets a scar. I think that the Haitian is his own man.

The key is Peter's sickness. If anyone figures out what is going on with that, I think the rest of the plot will fall into place.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm wondering how Peter would come into contact with Ted at all. Ted was captured by police in LA, and then escaped. Why would he go all the way to New York if he was on the run?

I don't think we know enough yet about what is going on with Peter to even call it a sickness. He was in Claire's presence, which should have healed whatever it is that he had if it was biological, which I think means it has to be from some sort of power. Maybe a byproduct of having borrowed the cop and Claire's powers in so short a time span? I don't think it's a KEY or anything, but I'd like to know if it's a common cold or something more serious.

As far as the Haitian, it's clear that Bennett's organization is taking orders from someone higher up, but what isn't clear is the loyalty of ANYONE in that group. Does Mr. Bennett know that the Haitain is erasing the memories of his daughter's friends? He seemed damned concerned on the phone just before The Big H arrived. That leads me to believe that Bennett didn't order it, and the Big H is either acting on his own, or he's ignoring Bennett and following the orders of the higher ups, orders that Eden clearly ignored when she tried to kill Sylar. But who is the Big Boss? Linderman? Or a new guy we haven't seen yet?

The conversation in the hallway with Eden was significant I think. When Bennett saw the Big H at the end of the hallway he immediately cut off Eden's line of argument and shunted it aside. I think he was afraif the Big H was reading his mind or some such, and didn't want his misgivings about the plan to get to the ears of his boss.

The second half of the season will probably be focusing on and leading up to the explosion in New York, but the big "question" they seem to be shoving at us is who is on Chandra's list. We know Claire was, and Nathan. But what's the big deal? Does Sylar have a copy of the whole list? That'd certainly explain how he is finding his victims. With Eden gone, Mohinder's only confirmed meeting was a brush off from Nathan and a subsequent visit from Peter that he himself brushed off.

Can't wait for the next half of the season, with all the information up in the air, it makes guessing both fun and futile, as there is still so much we do not know.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

I'm worried that if they keep Heroes in the same time slot, it will be on at the same time as 24.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing new to say that wasn't already said.

It was an awsome show though. I like it much more than Lost now. They at least answer a question here and there. I think the tally of unanswered questions on Lost is up to 2,847,625,904 or was it 5?

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think it was 4,815,162,342, actually.
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.