FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 15)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't miss the Video Blog over at scifi.com/battlestar - it features Chief, and I heart Chief. [Smile]

The all-time best Video Blog, however, was "Billy Gets No Respect," from S2. I miss Billy!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... I actually didn't think last weeks episode was bad at all. Wasn't in my top five, but it was ok. Much better than "Black Market" imho. I liked seeing Helo (he is a cutie) and him finally saying out loud that he really has an odd man out complex.

The only thing I had an issue with was why, in Humanity's current situation, they were so tribal? Making big deals over which dead Colony world you came from. Good gravy. If anything make a big deal which ship you come from...or the fact that your civilization has been wiped out and how do you carry on the memory of that.

I liked seeing the emination taking the form of Baltar again. [Smile] And how Roslyn saw Six acting all wierd. [Big Grin]

Three cheers for the renewal! With only 13 episodes this time round they can make each one hyper good like First Season.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait—next season will be only thirteen episodes? I assumed that they were buying only thirteen for now, meaning they'd probably order the rest later.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to the podcast of the episode, and it seems that basically the entire episode, when written and shot, had been part of a springboard for subject matter in Baltar's upcoming trial. Something about a massacre of Saggitarons that Baltar WAS directly responsible for on New Caprica. But then they decided to chuck that angle and had to excise everything about that particular thread, but you're still LEFT with an entire episode.

All in all, it wasn't a bad episode at all, it just didn't further any of the overarching plot arcs currently in play.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of serious plot motion lately has been a source of frustration for me personally. From the speed point of view, a 13 episode season would be better because you would have fewer filler eps.

Not that I want less BSG. Even the slow filler eps have alot in them that makes them worth watching. I've even watch Black Market a couple times.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
BSG is like Dr. Who its 2x as many seasons but theyre half sized, were gonna get 2 13 ep seasons this year to make the equivilent of like 1 22é26 episode season.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

NONONONONONONNO! TELL ME IT ISNT SO! NO NO NO! CAALY! NO! poor Chief [Frown]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Cally was still alive, dude.

I really liked that episode. But then again, Bill Adama is one hell of a fascinating character.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the episode, although the lack of a greater sense of focus in an overall plot is getting a bit agitating. Adama and Laura make me giggly. Hopefully good things will happen there. [Smile]

One thing that has been confusing me are the ship's quarters. Several episodes ago, it looked like everybody was really cramped and sharing common space. Chief and Cally were showed this way as were Starbuck and her husband (to the point where the only privacy they had during sex was to drape a sheet across the opening of their bunk.) But in this episode and last episode, each couple has a private room. What's up?

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

mack shes in an IRONLUNG and I so far have the impression that she may not be able to leave it, I watched it on tv so i cant resee it.

Officers privilage?

Amanecer
Member # 4068

Chief said the doctor said she'd be fine.

It seems like if they didn't have the space to give officers private rooms a few episodes ago, they still wouldn't now.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Blayne, she's in a hyperbaric chamber, it's used as a treatment for decompression sickness (which she's experencing from the shot through the vacuum). Cottle also doesn't mince words, so if he says she'll make it, she'll make it.
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
For a smart guy the chief sure dropped the ball, stuffing Cally in a duct taped cargo container marked with a big X would have saved her hard vacuum exposure, sure hope he does not realize that or the guilt might kill him. Of course there were a lot of people without oxygen deprivation that could have thought of it...
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Cally's up and about and looking ok in the preview of next week's episode.

I enjoyed the additional insight into the Adama family's dynamics and background. It was interesting how Adama had vivid recollections that he interacted with, but unlike the Cylon-style visions, he didn't really react in the real world but only in his head (no air kissing!)

I thought the airlock plot was quite interesting, and I was really impressed with Athena's flying. Pretty good to avoid all the debris but catch Tyrol and Cally.

I wasn't sure before, but given the conversation between Adama and Roslin, I think they probably did have sex that night on New Caprica. Thus bringing all sorts of interesting complications to their relationship as admiral and president. It is sort of fun to watch them flirt but hold back any real commitment.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Old people sex! Actually, I'm not sure I want to think about that, though I did enjoy the extra scene with Gaeta cottoning on... [Wink]

I liked it more than the past few episodes.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Amanecer, I'm also a little confused on the suddenly huge quarters that our leads seem to have. Considering last week we saw again the cramping problems on Galactica space is a big problem like never before.

I fear that one of those TV convienences has crept into BSG.

But the Adama/Roslyn thing also makes me giggle like a little girl! What DID happen on New Caprica??

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
My impression was that they just enjoyed a little romance together on New Caprica, without sex. It really is possible to do that [Smile]
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
This episode was frustrating and infuriating. Why didn't someone go EVA and patch the hole from the outside? They could have sprayed just about anything on the hole to patch it. Hell, they could have stuck an air hose through the hole first and pumped air in.

Seeing Tyrol and Cally with nice smooth skin, when they should have been absolutely covered with broken blood vessels and other marks from the cold and vacuum was worse than any explosions in space, as far as I'm concerned. They should have looked absolutely monstrous after what they went through.

They could have slowed the leak by a lot had they bothered to take some of their clothing and push it up against the hole. All Tyrol tried, other than the patch that didn't work, was what looked like a washcloth.

I'm good with the suspension of disbelief, and I watch this more for the characters than I do for the science, but stuff like this is like a slap in the face with a trout.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Lisa: Yeah, when they were talking about taking a raptor out, I first assumed that they were going to try to patch it from the outside. It did seem a little odd how everyone was so helpless to fix what seemed like a small hole.

Dav: Sure it is, and that's what I thought when I saw the boxing episode. But given the way they were dancing around the topic in last night's episode, I think it's likely they slept together. At least, that's my impression.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that space walks can take a really long time. They were already out of air by the time the raptor got in position. Think how much longer it would've taken for someone to go outside with all the proper tools, find the leak, and patch itup.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

I think the dancing around the topic was just bringing to the surface what was happening. That night, their hand holding in the past few episodes, Laura's frequent visits... Previously, they both didn't acknolwedge it. I think Adama wanted some tangible affirmation of Roslin's affection during his day of dealing with his ex-wife's lack thereof. I highly doubt they slept together.
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

I could not believe that the inner door could not have a hole poked in it. As I said the containers would have provided temporary protection, and I would have to say that vacuum seals of various sizes for holes from micro meteors and shrapnel would be pretty high on the list of things 'in the tool box' of a maintenance man on a Battlestar.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

They did talk about cutting the doors but said that the air would run out before they cut through. They do want those doors to be very strong in case of a hull breach (or in case of a crash or something similar--just like the window was reinforced against forces up to those produced by a tylium bomb.
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

I know they want to make the ordinance look gritty and realistic but come on, a "LASER" might not be too out of place...
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but this episode didn't do it for me at all.

The whole ex-wife plotline seemed to come out of nowhere, and man, was she annoying. And we never got to see what Adama loved about her; we were just supposed to accept that he did love her despite the fact that she was critical, manipulative, drunk, and unhinged. The scene between Lee and Adama seemed either poorly written or poorly acted because it felt wooden and . . . off.

The plotline with the Tyrols was better, but there were so many science questions that people have already brought up here that I couldn't really suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the character dynamics going on. I did love the scene when Chief put his and Nick's hands on the window and Cally reached her hand up to touch them. [Smile]

And while I'm rooting for Adama and Roslin to get together, the scene at the end was silly and out-of-character for Roslin, in my opinion. I picture them breaching the gap in a moment of extreme tension, and they're talking about what to do. Then suddenly one of them just goes for it and kisses the other.

*shrug* But I'm not the writer, I suppose.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by Counter Bean:
I could not believe that the inner door could not have a hole poked in it. As I said the containers would have provided temporary protection, and I would have to say that vacuum seals of various sizes for holes from micro meteors and shrapnel would be pretty high on the list of things 'in the tool box' of a maintenance man on a Battlestar.

I think that you are making some pretty big assumptions there. The fleet and the crew are running pretty ragged. They lost alot of resources that were left on New Caprica, not to mention the loss of the Pegasus. I don't that we can assume that they have alot of anything that they should be carrying around in their "tool box"

Also, I think that you are forgetting about the time critical situation that the Chief and Cally were in. From start of the crisis to the end of the crisis was probably 45 minutes tops. Cutting through doors and sending out an EVA team to patch the hole from the outside were not viable options. Welding a patch that size on the inside of the airlock in normal circumstances probably took at least 15 to 20 minutes. Welding is not a quick process in general. Then to be doing it on the outside of the ship in the vacuum of space? Come on, do you really think that they had time to do that?

Stuff clothing in the hole? Sorry Lisa, bad idea. It was getting cold in there and clothing would not have created enough of a seal to allow the pressure to restablize. You are really underestimating the suction power that hole would have to pull air through the clothing. Plus with each layer of clothing they lost, the more exposed they would become. Maybe if they were wearing fligh suits, which are supposed to be airtight. I do agree with you on the condition of their skin. There should have been more visable skin problems.

Someone else was surprised that the inner doors had not been breached. Who said they hadn't at one point? The Chief and Cally were there to work on the electrical systems, not the hull patches.

One thing to remember is that they are running pretty ragged and the fact that they have gone 49 days without a Cylon sighting is making the crew complacent and kind of sloppy. The scene in the bathroom with the Chief and the rest of the crew made that pretty evident to me.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but this episode didn't do it for me at all.

The whole ex-wife plotline seemed to come out of nowhere, and man, was she annoying. And we never got to see what Adama loved about her; we were just supposed to accept that he did love her despite the fact that she was critical, manipulative, drunk, and unhinged.

Part of it was that Adama courted her mostly for her political ties, as her father (or some other relative) was a member of the Quorum of Twelve, and he needed that influence to get back into the military. While Adama did come to love her it was more a marriage of convienence for him in the beginning. Who knows if that initial deception was part of breakdown of their relationship or that he got into it so fast he didn't see/care about her other issues.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skeptical that the hole could have been patched from the outside. Patching from the inside means you can use the atmospheric pressure in the room to force the patch over the hole. From the outside, I'm not sure how you'd apply enough force to the patch to get it to seal the hole without breaking -- at least, not without making the process much more complex than they had time for.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I'm skeptical that the hole could have been patched from the outside. Patching from the inside means you can use the atmospheric pressure in the room to force the patch over the hole. From the outside, I'm not sure how you'd apply enough force to the patch to get it to seal the hole without breaking -- at least, not without making the process much more complex than they had time for.

That's a good point. In order for them to patch the hole from the outside, there would have to be no atmosphere on the inside of the airlock. That is probably how the hole got patched in the first place. They patched it from inside the airlock, but entered the airlock from the outer doors. Since damage control was in a rush to fix the hole and move onto the next problem, no one bothered to test the strength of the patch, setting the Chief and Cally up for their problem because they were the first people to visit the airlock since it had been patched.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Workers of the Colonies Unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!
Carrie
Member # 394

Baltar's backstory = awesome. The whole dialect shift thing was fascinating. [Smile]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my favorite part.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
That was trippy.... I was losing interest in the whole episode and had actually started to wander off in search of a snack when I heard the accent change.

And I'm starting to think that Cally's time is rather limited. This is the second episode in a row that she's been close to dying, right? Not that I really believed Adama would go through with it, but still.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

actually by my count 4.

1st time when she was attempted to be raped by TomZareks friend.

2nd was when she was going to be shot by Cylon execution squad.

3rd time when she spent time in a vaccuum.

4th time now being when she was going to be execued but thankfully averted.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting episode. Always amazed at Baltar's sense of self-preservation.

I think it's ironic how we went from Baltar sending Cally before a firing squad, to Adama sending Cally before a firing squad for reading Baltar's works.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
There was also the time Chief almost killed her when he thought he was a cylon.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Cally is still alive cuz she's a scrapper! You just can't keep a good scrapper down.

I realize that the lack of things blowing up can be somewhat boring to some of you. However, this ep highlighted some very strong characters making difficult decisions in extrordinary circumstances. The show is dealing with other issues beyond the cylons. I really like the fact that the writers are taking the time to contemplate what is going on in the fleet. Ignoring that side of the story turns BSG into Star Trek with some nudity. Come on, someone cleaned the toilets on the Enterprise? Maybe that guy's story is worth telling as well. Taking time to highlight some of the details of the of the peripheral stuff adds a lot of richness to the story telling. Especially if it is well written, which I think this Ep was.

I like seeing things blow up as much as the next guy, but when Selix(sp?) got her wings at the end, I was feeling it too. As far as character development goes, best ep this season.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
When Cally was defending Baltar's book I was shouting at the screen "He signed your execution warrent!"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm far from defending Baltar's actions, but would it have mattered had he not signed those orders?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Workers of the Colonies Unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!
Unless of course the Cylons attack. Then you die.

This episode was excellent! The past few didn't do much for me, but I greatly enjoyed this one. I'm curious what other types of work are available on the fleet. We have military, politics, and factory work. But there are a lot more ships in the fleet than just those. What do all of those people do all day? I was thinking that perhaps factory work could become like Switzerland's draft. Everybody is required to give a certain amount of time, maybe 6 months. They could do it on rotating schedules, changing every two months, so that there are constantly trained workers there to teach others. As it is, it certainly seems like slavery.

Chief's arrest also made me wonder- are members of Galactica allowed to leave the service? And do they have a training system for new military members (beyond pilot training)? I can't remember it coming up before. If they can't, that sounds problematic.

quote:
When Cally was defending Baltar's book I was shouting at the screen "He signed your execution warrent!"
I see nothing contradictary about finding value in Baltar's ideas and still wanting the man to die.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
Baltar's backstory = awesome. The whole dialect shift thing was fascinating. [Smile]

I was more struck by how freaky his face looked while he was doing that.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

I was more struck by how freaky his face looked while he was doing that.

-pH

Me too. But Baltar's been known to look freaky before. The man's a chameleon. Which makes you wonder if he didn't invent his backstory... Neah, probably not.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought it was an amazing episode. I'm glad that the President finally saw the light...but I guess we will have to see where it goes from here. I was very disappointed in both her and Adama. I still don't like how she is treating Baltar though.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I don't like that either. She's becoming a little dictatorish. Fortunately all the problems changed her mind a little. I wonder if it's enough to see Baltar in a different light though.

As for Adama, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done anything to Calli. Remember the Admiral from Pegasus? He wasn't very fond of that woman's attitude. Unless he changed a lot he wouldn't have done anything. Of course the chief couldn't take the risk and call the bluff and both of them knew it.

Lupus
Member # 6516

But even the threat was over the top. It was one thing to threaten to execute the Chief, but to threaten to shoot his wife if he didn't go along with things is another matter. That crosses over into being a dictator.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I like Baltar and Im pretty sure hell redeem himself in the end.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
But even the threat was over the top. It was one thing to threaten to execute the Chief, but to threaten to shoot his wife if he didn't go along with things is another matter. That crosses over into being a dictator.

You're right, knowing he wouldn't have done it still doesn't excuse his action. Feels like what a terrorist would do. Use your love/loyalty to others to make you do things you don't want to. Or a cruel dictator, as you say. Same difference I guess.
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode. One of the best of the year so far.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Chief's arrest also made me wonder- are members of Galactica allowed to leave the service? And do they have a training system for new military members (beyond pilot training)? I can't remember it coming up before. If they can't, that sounds problematic.

The only thing I remember is from S2's "Final Cut," where D'Anna cites Gaeta's fact that no one on Galactica had asked to muster out. Until New Caprica, of course. The only formal training we've seen is the pilot training.

And will the fleet ever see a commander not named Adama? What an interesting episode! [Smile]

Lupus
Member # 6516

oh I most definitely agree it was an amazing episode. While the President and Adama concern me, I think the writing was excellent. I thought they did a great job tackling a tough issue. While on one hand, you can't have members of the military in a mutiny...particularly during war time, on the other you don't want to turn your civilization into a dictatorship.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.