Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 22)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, more than a thousand posts in, and the energy is bound to flag somewhat...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe our poor thread has summer-onset SAD...
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Heat tends to hit me like a hammer between the eyes. Sometimes I can't do anything but sit there stunned, and when I'm out in it I feel like it's ten times as hard to concentrate on even simple tasks.

I used to think I was just naturally a night owl, but maybe I've just been avoiding the heat all this time.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe our poor thread has summer-onset SAD...

I laughed so hard I think I scared my cat.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Why does red ink bleed more than black and blue inks?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

It knows you're wearing blue jeans and a black t shirt.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I get Summer SAD, too much heat gives me a lethargy only snow can cure. That is why I am sitting in the freezer.

If you think you can get blue-bloods to bleed you've got another thing coming. But what does black-blood mean? I want green blood.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
One man's junk is another man's treasure.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Cockroach blood is colorless unless the cockroach is a female producing eggs. So if you see orange blood among broken bits...
Natej11
Member # 8547

Hmm I never noticed that about cockroaches. And I've killed my fair share of them in my apartment in Salt Lake.

Thank goodness I'm out of that dump. Crossing my fingers the little buggers didn't tag along when I left.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As was said in Married With Children, the cockroach was here long before us and will be here long after us.

Why? Because they eat crap.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ever have one of those days? I got into an argument at work this morning, and was so angry I was ready to quit. Over what? Being told to do two things that contradicted each other, and then being threatened when I did one thing.
Kitti
Member # 7277

We bought my mom the Sims3 for her birthday. It is way too easy for sims to publish and get lots of royalties. I am jealous of sims - how sad is that? :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - Kitti that made me laugh.

No one is allowed to complain of heat if they live in Utah or anywhere where it acctually snows in the winter. When I open my door to go outside it feels the same as opening the oven door after it's been preheated. There was a two year old that fell on a metal grate while walking and got second degree burns. I wish I could just stay inside until the end of September.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

A decade ago...We were in Utah when my 11 month old daughter stood on a metal grate and had to be rushed to the hospital with second degree burns on her feet. We were on our way to Yellowstone, and had stopped for lunch in Logan, Utah. It didn't slow her down though. She tottered around Yellowstone in bandaged feet.

It was 111 in St. George, Utah yesterday. I don't care where you live. That's hot.

It was only 80 here though. If it wasn't for the bugs, I might consider that heaven.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Here in southwest Florida, the claim is that summer is the best eleven months of the year. The temperature runs between eight-five and ninety-five Fahrenheit, but never much above or much below. (I stay inside and run the air conditioner...my electric bill rises accordingly during summer months.)
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was 111 in St. George, Utah yesterday. I don't care where you live. That's hot.

When it's 111 in St. George it's still only 75 in Michigan

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited July 21, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Texas for a while, after growing up in Utah, and I could not believe the humidity. When we moved to West Virginia for a while after that, it really was "almost heaven."

But my idea of heaven has to be the Oregon Coast--I don't enjoy the sun much at all and prefer overcast skies and cool humidity.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

I have to agree about humidity. My family used to go on road trips back east for a month out of every summer. We'd go from 100 degrees in Utah to the low nineties in some place like Missouri and the humidity combined with heat made it much more miserable.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
When I find a cockroach in my house I pore lighter fluid on it and set it on fire and watch it run around on fire until it pops. It is the funniest thing.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
PS: I do the same thing with mice in my house.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

I should not have read that before dinner...
:-P

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Some times I crucify them alive and put them in my back yard as a warning to other mice. ROME IS BACK.

RFW2nd

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
RFW2nd, I hope you don't have carpet.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

When everyone else was having ice cream, my niece asked for rice pudding. I told her if she had rice pudding she couldn't have ice cream, and she said that was cool. As soon as she finished her rice pudding she asked for ice cream and I said no. Duh.

So later that night I go tuck the rest of the kids in bed, and I come out and her dad is fixing her a big bowl of ice cream. And yes, he was here for the conversation, and yes, this is my house.

And yes--it is definately time for everyone to go home.
Melanie

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the worst things about humidity, especially when you're travelling, is that when you take a shower (at the KOA or whatever) and hang the towels up to dry overnight, they are wetter in the morning than they were the night before.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
But Unwritten, was it your ice cream?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Central Maryland / northern Virginia humidity sucks. You should not need to take a shower ten seconds after you get out of the shower.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Yuck, humidity sounds horrid. In AZ if you want your stuff to dry faster than the dryer then just hang it outside for a half hour in the sun. I hate July. The whole month blisters at 117 and the pool water doesn't help cause it feels like bath water. All you can do is stay inside and pray your ac doesn't go out.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Yep, it was my ice cream. :P

But after I wrote that post, her dad and I had a nice long talk, and it reminded me that in the vast scheme of things, ice cream is not that big of a deal. She's a super troubled girl, and he's done wonders with her since he took over raising her. It's easier to remember that when she's asleep though.

Natej11
Member # 8547

If your ship comes in but the cargo is all chewed on by rats, does that count as a good thing?
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
If your ship comes in but the cargo is all chewed on by rats, does that count as a good thing?

What about if you see your ship coming in, but you can also see the rats jumping overboard?

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

No, unfortunately the rats require a court order and several months of legal hassle to get them off the boat .
Kitti
Member # 7277

Only if you don't know the secret - one good Kitti will get rid of all your rats for you faster than you can say, "What form was it I needed again?"
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Carpet? What’s that?

Quote… If your ship comes in but the cargo is all chewed on by rats, does that count as a good thing?...end quote

Well if I were you I would crucify them, and display their crucified bodies on deck as a warning to other rats… STAY AWAY FROM MY CARGO.

I hate the heat here at White Sands Missile Range. Its been in the 100’s and has 18% humidity and my AC keeps acting up. I cant wait to get out of the Army and move some were cold.

RFW2nd

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a family who didn't have sweat glands, they spent summer under the house.

You want hot? Actual quote from the news. "Well folks it snowed yesterday and it's going to hit 100 tomorrow . . . welcome to Utah." That's the trouble, it gets cold and then right away it gets hot so your frain bries before you can acclimatize.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

This has been the coldest summer I have ever lived through. I would actually enjoy it if the bugs weren't so thrilled about it. Tomorrow it is only supposed to be 63 degrees. In July! I keep wondering if this is what it would be like in Great Britain. Is it buggy there?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Cold summers, huh? Where's that global warming when it matters?
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually heard this morning that, if the temperature doesn't hit 90 in the next 8 days (here in Louisville, KY), that it will be the first July on record that we didn't have a day over 90 degrees! We actually set a record-low high temperature last week of 70 degrees. I love global warming!
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Global warming is no laughing matter.

*I'm being facetious.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Guys haven't you heard? The global warming nuts are calling it "global climate change" since the evidence overwhelmingly supports a cooling trend.

We should all be terrified that the temperature on the planet doesn't stay constant, is basically what they're trying to tell us.

CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
Heaven forbid that a planet should have patterns that take longer than our five-minute attention spans to change! I mean...
Ooh! Something shiny!

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

A shiny thing were? I don't see it.

Rfw2nd

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited July 23, 2009).]

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you see "The Day After Tomorrow?" Planetary cooling is exactly what we would expect as a result of global warming. We could be fine today and then tomorrow, guess what...we're in the middle of a new ice age. I mean, people froze to death the second they stuck there faces outside. Global warming literally chased Jake Gyllenhall down a hallway. Damn near caught him, too.

Best line of the movie: "You can't go outside; the temperature is dropping 10 degrees every second." Which by my estimation means the temperature outside was -5,000 degrees by the end of the movie.

A brilliant example of how you should not do science fiction. And don't pretend that your shamefully ridiculous and inaccurate science fiction is science fact.

And for the love of Pete, do NOT get your story ideas from Al Gore.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know; it kind of felt like -5000 degrees by the end of the movie.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

LOL global warming did chase him down the hallway! You have to watch that movie like it's fantasy and then it's great. I loved the tornados taking out the buildings.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Not one person is going call Natej11 on his "global warming nuts" comment? I think that is very interesting.

I suppose if the planet heated up and all the glaciers melted it might precipitate weather like I've been experiencing. I don't think it's rained this much since the time of Noah. Thank goodness I live on the top of a hill. Of course, people in Noah's time were probably thinking the same thing.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So the argument for global warming goes like this: (1) If it's warmer, it's evidence that global warming is happening. (2) But if it's cooler, it's also evidence that global warming is happening.

I suppose that (3) if the temperature stays the same, it's also evidence of global warming.

(You see why I can't take it seriously.)

Natej11
Member # 8547

Don't forget 4] No matter what happens, it's the fault of humans and within a few years it's going to kill us all.

Read Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear". Or for that matter read what Orson Scott Card has to say on the subject. I assume most of us here have a decent respect for his opinions and knowledge.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited July 24, 2009).]

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

There is no such thing as global warming Chuck Norris got cold and turned the sun up.
We just have to wait till he gets too hot and turns the sun back down.

RFW2nd

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.