Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 41)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
2000 - Turn of the new millenium.

"Pssst! Come here..."

-Leans across and whispering ensues-

"What? You say I am the two thousandth poster on this thread? That will annoy people, especially since I was the one thousandth poster, too. Oh well--who could have known?"

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
The internet is strong in this one.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Showoff.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
re: The fatalities on Everest that skadder posted...

Into Thin Air. Great book. Read it if you get a chance. The author himself came close to dying on Everest. One of the survivors did a speaking engagement at our corporation some time ago, and a friend of mine was invited. He said that listening to the survivor was harrowing, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house after he was done. This guy survived Everest after being left up there to die TWICE.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
May everyone in the tsunami zone reach safety.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm I think I miscounted. see below as if it were for this date.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited March 01, 2010).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
2006-- I get a job that provided me enough experience to apply for the job I did this morning.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
A quick rewrite of the greatest song ever.

I'm gonna write the things that I wanna write.
I ain't gotta thing to prove tonight.
I'm gonna end my phrases adverbally,
Excuse that weather as I set the scene,
I ain't gonna write the prose that you like
I'm fine and dandy with the theme inside.
I look at the white screen, and I'm tickled pink.
I don't give a hoot about what you think!

~ "original lyrics by Weezer.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
2008 Adam Colston (a.k.a skadder) sells first story. His few friends congratulate him.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

2009 skadder beats 40 plus fellow members of hatrack and 1000 other-ish writers to win second place in the 3rd quarter WotF contest. His many friends are ecstatic for him.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 01, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

2010 skadder has irritated his fellow members for the last time by hijacking a thread he rarely posts in just to mark the post. A lynch mob hunts him down.
BenM
Member # 8329

2012 skadder posts the 15,000th entry in the Random Musings thread (mostly posts by him, made to claim milestones :P), thereby fulfilling an ancient Mayan prophecy and propagating the end of the world.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'm sorry Ben, I think that was 2011 your post was not 2012. SO I'll do 2011.

2011--The year Pyre sells a novel then he has to tell everyone his real name so they will go buy it.

And actually I wish people would stop saying the Mayans prophesied the end of the world in 2012. They didn't that's just when their calender ends, and thus the age. (Kind of the way our clock ends at 12, unless you're on military.) They do have prophesies, some of them take place in the new age, the one after 2012. Their calender actually goes back longer than the geologic understanding of the age of the universe. They also tortured people sometimes.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited March 01, 2010).]

BenM
Member # 8329

I'm just poking fun at that awful movie
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
On the world ending in 2012:

"He had brought a large map representing the sea, without the least vestige of land,
and the crew were all pleased when they found it to be, a map they could all understand.”

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Bizarre problem with AOL---it's random enough to post here rather than clutter up the board with a new post.

Just today, I noticed my "favorite places" list, loaded with hundreds of sites I've looked at and many I look at no more, seems to be creeping around of its own accord. Roughly it's chronological order---appearing in the order I clicked on the "heart" icon---but I have moved a bunch of my online comic strip reading into alphabetical order. Yesterday I did some weeding out, moving some that haven't updated in awhile down to another section of the list.

But this morning I found a whole bunch moved around. It's still happening this afternoon. No idea how it happened---did I activate some obscure feature? Some software glitch or error? Something more sinister?

Who knows? Certainly I don't.

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm just recently new to the dating scene, I'm trying to come up with some pickup lines.

How 'bout this one: "Does this smell like chloroform to you?"

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

It's better if you add an "ooh, Baby" in front of that.

Chicks dig oooh Baby.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

I wonder how many people working in law enforcement get "Handcuffs, officer? Kinky."
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I imagine, nearly all of 'em who've handcuffed someone. Occupational hazard.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
-William Shakespeare "Measure for Measure"

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided I spend too much time in these "other" forums (which are fund and interesting) and not enough time in F and F learning the craft.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

After watching Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland I feel the urge to wear hats more often. Nice hats, like a topper or a fedora.
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
2011--The year Pyre sells a novel then he has to tell everyone his real name so they will go buy it.

Can't wait for that day, Vernon.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland"---hit or flop? I was thinking "flop," based on what little I'd seen, plus past performance of other "Alice" versions---even the Disney one flopped---and also word that the powers that be shortened the DVD release timetable.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Ahhhhh! They figured out my name!

and

I loved Alice. It's too early to think flop or hit. Opening weekend sales are only an indication of marketing quality not quality of the movie. I don't think it's the movie most people are expecting.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Word was, from a projected take of $70 million, "Alice" now expected to take in $120 million. I don't know how much it took to make it, but the rule of thumb I've always heard is that a movie needs to take in two and a half times what it took to make in order to be a hit.
snapper
Member # 7299

Scooby Doo! Where are you?

They are not sure but they do have a lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76jSM7GfYc&feature=related

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Message to Kathleen...wasn't there a forum for non-fiction writers, like...yesterday?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there was, but I had some problems with it, and no one has been interested in using it (not even Robert Brady who offered an article in the F&F for Short Stories area instead), so I killed it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah...I was afraid I had a glitch on my end that made something disappear from my view.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Ha, Robert has a glitch on his end.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I get a glitch everytime I step in something nasty.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
In 2007 I bought some mice and they were great pets. I lost the last one a couple of months ago.

Yesterday, I got four new mice and they are in their mansion having a blast. They are very young and already comfortable with being handled so they are going to be easy to train. They are a hoot to watch. They love to climb on the wheels two or three or four at a time. Sometimes they get it going sometimes they don't.

Today I am going to build a playground, out of plexiglass, for in front of their cage. I have a new design and it will incorporate a portcullis in one wall that I can open and let them roam freely on the coffee table as soon as I can trust them not to try and jump down to the floor.

My life just doesn't feel right without some kind of critter around. These kids are going to be a lot of fun.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I had a rat running around my house last year...it came up out of my toilet and disrupted my life while I was as sick as I can ever remember being. It would have been much easier to deal with if I hadn't been that sick...of course, it probably wouldn't have come up the toilet if I hadn't'a thrown up the remains of a rich stew into it...
Posie70
Member # 9036

- posted      Profile for Posie70   Email Posie70         Edit/Delete Post 
My brothers got two baby rats when they were young (they were both SUPPOSED to be boy rats). The "boys" had babies, and the babies were too small and slipped out through the cage bars...we found little tiny baby rat skeletons for YEARS after.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I wouldn't think that a rat covered with stew vomit would be very difficult to find.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It did swim up through the toilet...that probably washed most of the vomit off.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

My nieces have sugar gliders, their like rats but they fly. (Or fall with style.)
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats! Apparently after dark matter, and dark energy, there's now a possible dark flow - will the darkness ever end!?...sorry, don't know anything about rats...

musings...okay, how about this: Ever worry that since birds are apparently descendants of dinosaurs that one day a randomly mutated chicken egg or something might crack open to reveal a baby dinosaur? Yeah, I have the weirdest dreams...

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm making a stew right now. I'll chance it.
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever notice that L. Ron Hubbard and Elrond Half-Elven, Lord of Rivendell have similar sounding first names? Now I now why I always called him Elrond Hubbard.
Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Dude, have you ever seen L. Ron Hubbard and Elrond in the same room at the same time? I've believed they were the same person for a long time.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Can't be. Hubbard was a redhead.
billawaboy
Member # 8182

True, but it could be a dye job...Pyre may have something there...I wonder if Thetan and Elf are two different names for the same creature...is it possible that the "aliens" from outer space are actually Elves from Middle Earth? Think about it. Think. About. It...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Hubbard was a redhead and Clark Kent wears glasses.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah, but does Clark Kent need glasses?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Come to think of it, have you ever seen Superman and Josef Stalin together? They share the same nickname---the Man of Steel...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

That's an alternate universe thing. Kind of like the universe where Superman and Clark Kent are actually two different people, or the one where Superman and Lex Luther succeeded in taking over the world. Then there was the one where Spider-Man fought the Joker, that was the weirdest one of them all.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Joker won, right?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.