Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 45)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I get it, though if you ask me to explain it tomorrow I won't be able to. It's kind of like an algebra equation. I would like it better if it said something like, "What number makes this sentence true - how many letters?" Then it makes sense to me.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh well, how about those Bears?

Don't we pay that hefty Bear Patrol Tax deduction for that?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Say...ever notice things quiet down some here on the weekends? I would've thought with more time to goof off on the computer, it might get more active...apparently the reverse is true.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here in the States, it is Memorial Day so I think it's especially slow. Personally, I'm procrastinating a big cleaning job I need to get started. But I hope most people are out having fun.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I get to spend my memorial day in Montreal. The one place on the continent that is the least American. They can't even put a road sign in english.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Does Mexico City have road signs in English?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that when people don't show up here it means they are writing. Also I think that a lot of people pop on here from work, so that's why they don't show so much on the weekends.

Anyways on the fun part.

Are we waiting for another question? If we were then there would be no reason answer because the riddle isn't finished. Of course why would Genevive post half a riddle? It's pretty safe to discount this option.
Are we supposed to come up with both question and answer? I'm sorry, I just don't get your logic on this one. If someone says "look at this painting," why would you think they expected you to provide your own painting to look at?
Are we referring to the question itself? It's all we have to go on, so yes.

quote:
2 - How many letters are there in the answer to this [same] question?
This can be read a few ways:
- How many letters are there [in the answer to this question]? - (twenty-six/8-9)
- How many "letters" are there [in the answer to this question]? - (1)
- How many letters are there in "the answer to this question"? - (12 or 23)

Overthinking. How are any of those answers the amount of letters in themselves?

What it really is: How many letters are there in the answer to [How many letters are there in the answer to this question]? So the answer has to be a number that is as many letters as it is spelled. So four, in English anyway.

Although I personally prefer 0, because there aren't really letters in numbers. Numbers are characters separate from numbers and the fact that in English we have words that mean them doesn't make the words the numbers. The same way blue means blue but isn't actually the color blue, unless of course you color the letters blue. (Okay now I'm just having too much fun.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Mexico City doesn't need road signs in English, they've done a great job of teaching us Spanish.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted and moved to Logic Question

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited May 31, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted and moved to Logic Question

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited May 31, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's what I don't get. There is nothing in the question that demands the answer has to be a number that has the same amount of letters that it spells. I get that the number four has four letters, but the question in no way makes this a condition of the answer.

Happy Memorial Day. Remember the fallen.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Memorial Day, not just because it's my birthday. I just really love my dead people, and other people's dead people. A graveyard is just a library where the stories are hidden. So be sure to remember the story of your dead people, and wonder about the story of others' dead people. (And perhaps pause to wonder if you yourself are alive or if you were actually dead this whole time.)

Edited to add: Wow, did we really break the random musings? Awesome.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited May 31, 2010).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
I love Memorial Day, not just because it's my birthday.

Your birthday is a moveable feast?

genevive42
Member # 8714

I hate cleaning.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate ironing.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I don't iron. Instead I set the dryer on "HOT!" and throw a damp towel in with the wrinkled item(s).
genevive42
Member # 8714

philo, I just learned that trick recently and it works great.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Well technically my birthday is the 30th but I tend to celebrate my birthday by taking a long weekend.

I used to work in a dry cleaner, I've ironed more pants than I'd care to think about, with a leaky steam iron. I thought a lot about irony those days.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ironing? I've never done it...right up there with dry cleaning, actually...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Dry cleaning is hard by hand. Especially since the chemicals are psychotropic and deadly, kind of like poison dart frogs.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Actually the "not ironing" and "not dry cleaning" comes from always dressing casual. I don't have clothes that need either. (Or any other item, actually.)

Last year I had to borrow a suit jacket from my father for a formal occasion---didn't fit but I wore it anyway. I've meant to pick up a suit somewhere but, like so much else, I haven't gotten around to doing it...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

You know if I do this.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'll have post 2222.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Greedy.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Astute.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Bearnaise.
satate
Member # 8082

I always have random musings while showering but I can never remember then once I'm here.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I only shower when I'm washing my hair---it's the bathtub for me.

If my sinks were just a little deeper, enough to fit my whole head in one, I wouldn't use the shower at all.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, the more you randomly muse, the more I worry about your hygiene.

I like baconnainse, bacon salt, pancakes cooked in bacon grease, but surprisingly I don't like bacon.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Once a day---really! And clean clothes, always...

Bernaise? Baconnaise? Don't get saucy with me...

macmicool
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I love maple baked bacon, with eggs, and hashbrowns.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I tend to avoid eggs straight (as opposed to eggs as ingredients in something else)...they give me indigestion...probably I'm not cooking them right...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Cooking them with nails is not cooking them right, take out the nails and you should be fine.
genevive42
Member # 8714

When the rooster crows and the sun turns blue it is time to sit down and look inside our heads.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When the rooster crows, it's time to think about making chicken and dumplings...
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Now for something completely random:

I have the ability to wrap the fingers on each of my hands around one another so that it looks like each set of fingers is tied into a square knot. On one of my hands I can do this without even using my other hand to manipulate any of the fingers. I learned to do this completely on my own 30 years ago while sitting in my eighth grade science class. People often react in considerable amazement when I demonstrate it.

To do this you must take your ring finger and go over your middle finger and under your index finger, which then holds it in place. Your pinkie finger then goes under the middle finger and over the index finger. Your thumb then goes over the ends of your index and middle fingers to hold them in place. You may have to push down on the knuckle of your pinkie finger and then pull the end of it in order to complete the knot. The completed process should look very much like a square knot if every finger has been properly tightened. However, I would suggest you wait a few minutes after doing this before you try typing again.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I was in Eritrea once, staying with a family there, and the dang rooster would wake me up every morning in a very annoying way. One day I woke up and there was silence. For a moment I wondered why the rooster hadn't been crowing. Then I remembered what we had for dinner the night before. Mystery solved.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

My neighbors raised show chickens for a while. Those things were beautiful but if you made one mad it would nearly bite your leg off.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A pull-quote (from "Barney Miller," as I recall) about chickens: "How can something that tastes so good smell so bad?"
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On philocinemas's "finger art"...I used to be able to do that when I was in my teens, but not without help from the other hand, and not anymore---my hands aren't as limber as they once were. (Hadn't even thought about doing it in years...not like, say, knuckle-cracking, which I do all the time.)
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
First posting ever here...so I have never been so happy to have a shaved head. My girlfriend and her two kids are infested with head lice and eggs. Ewww.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised on a small farm. Small as in nothing that my parents made a lot of money at but it did keep the kids busy.

We had chickens, usually about 15 to 20 at a time. Enough to keep a steady supply of eggs going. My dad would buy about a hundred new chicks every winter (nothing cuter than chirping yellow chicks). As they grew older, ole dad would break out the hatchet. It still fascinates my daughters on how we would butcher them. We would widdle down the flock, about three times a year, until we got them down to a managable level. Let me tell you, nothing taste better than fresh-farm raised chicken. Yumm. A few facts about chickens.

1) Nothing alive is dumber.
They could be dying of thrist. You fill their water bowl up and they'll set a foot on it and dump it all on the ground before they get a sip. If a fox or other predator gets anywhere near them, they'll squawk their heads off instead of staying silent. Whoever coined the phrase 'bird brain' must of had chickens on their mind.

2) Chickens are a lot braver than you think.
This applies to roosters (hens will defend a nest, but only to a point). I've seen roosters attack dogs. This has more to do with their lack of intelligence, however (see 1). They assume everyone and everything is out to mate with their hens. It gives a whole new meaning to the word...maybe I better not.

3) Chickens are eating machines.
I mean it. They could give a locust a run for their money, and they'll eat (at least try to) everything. They scratch at the dirt to get at the bugs and grubs on the ground. Have a weed problem? Put a fence around it and throw the chickens in. A dozen will strip a 50 foot square area with weeds three feet tall in days. Right down to the dirt. While cleaning the coop (man are they dirty) I uncovered a mouses nest. A dozen pink, blind, babies were devoured in 5 seconds by one chicken.

4) Chickens are cannibals.
The smallest sores will get pecked at. You have to put an anti-biotic that must taste so nasty that even a chicken won't eat it (see 3). They also will have a taste for egg if they ever discover it. This problem is easy to fix. Wooden egg-shapped blocks colored white solves that problem (see 1). We leave the same wood eggs in teh nest all the time and they never seem to catch on.

5) Chickens can fly
Not soar but they can get into a tree, or fly over the six foot fence you constructed. Fixing that problem is surprisingly easy. You trim the feathers on one wing. Makes them off balanced, they can't get two feet off the ground.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited June 14, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
We moved to a new house last winter. Behind the back hedge the neighbors have a chicken coop with a heater. But, that first dark night all my 5yo daughter noticed was this terrifying cackling and the glowing red 'eye'. Aaugh! It's Sauron's eye! she screamed (don't ask me how a 5yo knows who that is...).
So every since we've had Sauron's chickens living behind us.

Oh, and we have a hemlock named Socrates on our property, too.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I never raised chickens. I'm a child of the suburbs, and keeping chickens was frowned upon, maybe by law for all I know.

All I do know about 'em comes from (1) reading about 'em, (2) movies and TV, and (3) stray comments like this. Also (4) eating them, but that's not the same thing as learning anything...

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
accidental post

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited June 15, 2010).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You could'a left it...this is Random Musings, after all...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

You know if you got a dog and named him Aragorn . . . I'm gonna stop right there.
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
I made fresh peppermint and rosemary herb tea. With a little honey, so good!
Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

My daughter is a musical genius.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Evidence thereof?
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.