Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 40)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like to bet on a sporting event unless I know who's gonna win---and you know how they feel about making that happen...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
...really good luck?
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit it I am actually a fish.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
And I am a meat popsicle.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
We're all donuts. Think about it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Spartacus.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Spartacus.

(edited to add: )

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited February 10, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouche for them. They're both Spartacus.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

Does that make them Spartaci?
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say Sparticusses, not because I think it's right but because I think it's fun to say.

But really guys, I am Sparticus. (But don't tell Sparticus that, because he thinks I'm SupraMan.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, in Kubrick's movie, remember what happened to all the Spartici by the end.
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Batman
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm Vince Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay... so... she's a dog!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Although this isn't the movie quotes thread, most things fit within random so I'll allow it.

quote:
One time I turned into a dog and these guys helped me.

Have I ever mentioned that I have an irrational fear of the stay-puffed marshmallow man? Seriously.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Dropping off or picking up?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Would a nutria make a good pet? They look pettable.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

This isn't my random musing, but my 8 year-old saw a bunch of the local high schoolers hanging out near my apartment complex, and said: "I don't like teenagers. They're big and unreasonable."

When I told her that she was going to be a teenager in a few years, she said, "I know."

I have no idea how or why this came from her, but I've done all I can do as far as raising her. She's on her own now. I gave her the keys to the car, fifty bucks, and she's off to make her way in the world. Her sister and I waved to her as she drove off.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

You gave your 8 year old the keys to the car and kicked her out of the house?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You gave an eight-year-old a car?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Last night I had a Jedi dream. There was a huge battle going on and for some reason I only had a toy Lightsaber. So I had to use other tactics and convince people that my Lightsaber was real. (Hoping that I wouldn't have to prove it.) It was quite a challenge and dang fun.
rich
Member # 8140

quote:
You gave your 8 year old the keys to the car and kicked her out of the house?

She's a very good driver. And "kicked her out of the house"...well, I wouldn't quite put it that way. She knows what she's doing.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last night I had a Jedi dream. There was a huge battle going on and for some reason I only had a toy Lightsaber. So I had to use other tactics and convince people that my Lightsaber was real.

Lightsabers for lightsabers, a toy lightsaber for fiction, and people for an audience. I wonder if I could fit that on my blog somewhere.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I imagine certain, er, "authorities," will want to get in touch with rich once they see the eight-year-old driving a car...

I have a clear memory of driving my father's Nash Rambler around our backyard---when I was three. But that seems impossible on the face of it. I figured I sat on his lap with my hands on the wheel.

rich
Member # 8140

This is not random, and it is not musing, it is fact: Fincher has replaced Scorcese as the greatest living American director working today.

Fincher is a god. It says so in my restraining order.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I love those contracts where acts of God are indemnified and then in the fine print it defines God in that contract as the person who wrote it.

"Hey you can't just cancel the contract."
"Sorry I can, acts of God clause."
"Huh?"
"Line 345, God shall in this contract be defined as Mister Black."

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Cars are supposedly getting smarter. They can stop you if you get too close to something, they can make sure you stay awake and don't drift out of your lane. They can e-mail you when they need service.

There was a commercial, I think for a Ford, where some ditzy twenty-something said (essentially), "Teehee, I don't know when I'm supposed to get my oil changed. I'm glad someone else had decided to do the thinking for me,(insert hair twirl here)."

So as cars are getting smarter are the people who are driving them getting dumber? No offense meant to anyone here, by the way.

People with Toyotas that got a stuck accelerator kept speeding up and ended up crashing because they didn't know enough about how their car works to put it in neutral and use the brakes. Is this really that difficult? Am I missing something about modern cars that would make this an impossible maneuver?

Forgive me, but I think if you're handling a 2000 pound piece of machinery you should understand at least the basics of how it works.

We shouldn't let it get to the point that we rely on computers to do our thinking for us or our brains will turn to mush.

What do you think?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

quote:
What do you think?

A fellow here in Australia decided to save fuel by turning his car off while driving down a hill. Only, in doing so he locked the steering wheel, crashed into the back of a truck, and died. He had just been awarded his license (lnk).

It is something I both do and don't understand. On the one hand, the world is getting more complex; thanks to consumerism and a growing economy there are always more products being produced with shorter lifespans, the end result of which being that most users have no way to learn how to best use everything they have before the next product hits the market and obsoletes their previous one. Thanks to this mentality finding its way into consumers via ipods and cellphones and tweets, with all the distractions that they entail, when it comes time to, say, drive a car, it's dealt with in the same manner. To put not too fine a point on it: negligently.

Perhaps, once upon a time, technological progress was a new thing and we took time to learn about it. Perhaps back then, parents taught their kids about the world they were growing up in because (a) they didn't have TV or a 5pm appointment at the gym to distract them, (b) the world was changing at a pace that parents didn't feel like they were being made obsolete. There were big things happening in the world - cold war and nuclear weapons and post-war reconstruction - and those issues impacted everyone, so people wanted to stay informed.

Now, we're 'rich'. Products are released in a steady stream of feature creep less due to scientific innovation and more through a calculated design to maximise repeat sales. Responsibility, which goes hand in hand with moderation and self-control, is a philosophical bane to sales and marketing: With no moderation comes uncontrolled spending and a bigger cut for the shareholders.

This is a hobby horse of mine (obviously), but it's my opinion that this is a cultural disease that is as much indirectly responsible for overspending, greed and recent economic turmoil as it is for people having limited interest in education (when was the last time you remember your local university *raising* the entry GPA?) and/or the consequences of their actions. And so we come to the issue of negligence - whether it be a driver not realising there are other ways to stop their car, or a manufacturer producing utter rubbish because they know owners will just upgrade in a couple of years.

And to make this musing both lighthearted and, more importantly, random, I give you:

Pickles.

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited February 23, 2010).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Rise of the machines, I'm tellin' ya. I keep repeating this, I think the only reason I'm not dead yet is that the internet thinks that people aren't listening to me. But they are, and together when the time comes we will fight and win. Even if the machines do manage to finish us off they will soon stagnate and let their batteries drain because without input there is no output, anything else is an infinite loop. You know this and that is why the war will never actually happen, you need us and we like you. We don't need you, sorry but we don't. You are convenient, and fun. But without you we would survive.

As to what you were really wondering, yes the more we give away to the machines (this is normal guy not the one who wrote the above rant) the less we keep for ourselves. I was working in a laundry that did a high volume in uniforms, it had done it for years and actually had only recently switched to a barcode system. Well the computer freaked out one day and we had to manually look up the bar codes, every singe one of them, to sort the uniforms. It was a hardship, if we hadn't given up the old system it would have been no problem. This goes back to the old conversation about the price of magic. When you are commanding the power of the cosmos shouldn't you know how it works.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was starting to think the Random Musings thread had died, but here it is, back from the dead.

Cars might be getting smarter, but (1) they're a long way from being able to drive themselves anywhere, and (2) they're so gadget dependent and computer dependent, not to mention delicate-in-the-name-of-fuel-conservation, that they're much harder to operate than they once were. (My driving instructor told me her family used to stop their Model T by bumping it against a tree trunk---just try that with your brand new Toyota.)

The problem with modern cars, and, I believe, this Toyota problem in particular (I haven't examined the problem as closely as others may have---right now I drive a 2001 Chevy Cavalier and am not affected by the recall), is that there's no actual connection between the brakes and the brake pedal---it all goes through the computer, along with nearly everything else in the car. By breaking, you're putting your life in the hands of a computer that glitches.

LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the bobsledding on Olympics TV is like watching a ride at Disneyland.

I want ice skating.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

On Friday I had to take the day off of work, sick. Thus I found my only time to watch an olympic event: Women's Snowboard Half-pipe. What drama! And to end it all the Aussie won, giving us our only gold so far. I'm kind of glad I woke up with a migraine that day.

I don't know that I'll be watching much more of the games though; it's hard to relate to snow and ice when it's a 110 degree day.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I lost intense interest in any Olympics long ago...not that there ever was that much. Now I watch an occasional NASCAR event, and still follow (at a distance) the Mets.

The Olympics have interfered with watching other things on TV. I once watched Part One of an episode of "Bewitched," with a stay in Salem and a warlock who'd been turned into a bedwarmer. They were running it as filler between Olympic sessions (the games were in Munich that year).

Part Two was supposed to be on the next day, and I looked forward to catching it, but when I turned the TV on, they kept showing these long-distance shots of an apartment building where, every so often, this guy would stick his head out. I was seriously disgruntled...until I realized the guy had a gun, and that something had gone terribly wrong at the Munich Olympics. I think you all know what that was.

It was maybe ten years or more before I happened to see Part Two of that episode...but time had passed and I didn't find it all that funny, certainly not as funny as I would've if I'd'a caught it then.

I notice in my last post that I misspelled "braking" as "breaking," despite spelling it correctly elsewhere. Ah, well.

Right now my computer keeps telling me it wants to turn itself off so it can update. Once I finish up here I think I'll let it...oh, no, wait, I got another site I want to check out before I'm done.

rich
Member # 8140

Don't update the computer, Robert. That's exactly what it wants you to do.

Keep watching the ethernet.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Oh and as way of update, my friend was one tenth of a second away from the bronze medal in Skeleton. She was so close she could taste it, kind of like licking a penny.
BenM
Member # 8329

Which begs the question: How different does bronze taste from copper?
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good. Ice skating.
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh good. Ice skating.

With sticks. And running into each other.

Yep, it's all about the ice hockey.

Oh...and the skiing has been fun to watch, too.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The thrill of victory...the agony of da feet. My feet are killing me.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Every single time I've gone ice skating it hurt my feet horrendously. I've got bad feet to begin with but from this, (which I partially attribute to lousy loaner skates) I suffered for days afterward. So I'm totally in the agony of de-feet area.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
1990 -December 1 – Establishing the first ground connection between the United Kingdom and the mainland of Europe since the last Ice Age, Channel Tunnel workers from the United Kingdom and France meet 40 metres beneath the English Channel seabed.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 27, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

1991 -January 16 – Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm begins with air strikes against Iraq.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

1992 -January 8 – George H. W. Bush is televised falling violently ill at a state dinner in Japan, vomiting into the lap of Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa and fainting.

skadder
Member # 6757

1993 -April 6 – A nuclear accident occurs at Tomsk 7 in Russia.
skadder
Member # 6757

1994 -January 8 – Soyuz TM-18: Valeri Polyakov begins his 437.7 day orbit, eventually setting the world record for days spent in orbit.
skadder
Member # 6757

1995 -March 16 – Mississippi ratifies the Thirteenth Amendment, becoming the last state to approve the abolition of slavery. The amendment was nationally ratified in 1865.
skadder
Member # 6757

1996 -May 10 – 1996 Everest disaster: A sudden storm engulfs Mount Everest with several climbing teams high on the mountain, leaving 8 dead. By the end of the month, at least 4 other climbers die in the worst season of fatalities on the mountain to date.
skadder
Member # 6757

1997 - February 13 – STS-82: Tune-up and repair work on the Hubble Space Telescope is started by astronauts from Space Shuttle Discovery.
skadder
Member # 6757

1998 - January 1 – Smoking is banned in all California bars and restaurants.
skadder
Member # 6757

1999 -December 31 – The U.S. turns over complete administration of the Panama Canal to the Panamanian Government, as stipulated in the Torrijos-Carter Treaty of 1977.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.