FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 10)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
But the connection could have been because of Peter's powers, and doesn't necessarily indicate that Simone's father had powers.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...hero with a super power for weaving loose plot threads together.
I need that hero to come live at my house when I'm working on my writing. [Razz]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"But the connection could have been because of Peter's powers, and doesn't necessarily indicate that Simone's father had powers."

Well, no. Peter borrows powers from those nearby. He can't fly out of the presence of his brother, can't paint the future without the presence of Isaac, or live in stopped time without the presence of Hiro.
Since Peter wasn't in the presence of Simone's father, he couldn't have been the one making the mental connection with her father. Admittedly the mental linkage could be through Simone herself.

Ando made connections with Hiro in Tokyo and Niki in LasVegas before either manifested their powers. Simone knew both Issac and Peter before either manifested theirs.
And in both cases, they exist so far in the plot only as connectors between those who have obvious powers.
Maybe being a connector is their subtle power, though that power to connect could be achieved through different means for each. eg Simone could be subconciously telempathic, especially with those possessing obvious powers. And Ando's power could be subconciously knowing of and choosing to be "in the right place at the right time".

[ November 07, 2006, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Simone has already been confirmed to have no powers through an interview with TV guide.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Simone's power is the power of 'hottie', kind of like Zoe from firefly.

Just... hot.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it yet established for certain that Peter does not retain the powers he borrows from others? He thinks he can fly on his own. So unless he really can borrow his brother's powers permanently, one of these days he is going to go splat on Broadway.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Peter proved to himself that he can't fly on his own by doing bellyflops off of the monkey bars into the sand below.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Is it yet established for certain that Peter does not retain the powers he borrows from others? He thinks he can fly on his own. So unless he really can borrow his brother's powers permanently, one of these days he is going to go splat on Broadway.

I don't know for a fact that he really thinks that way. If anything, when he told Simone's father that he could fly, he was in fact dreaming. He's realized that he can only do things when he's around the person that can do things as well.

And of course, we don't know exactly how long he retains powers, but its at least for several hours as he demonstrated after visiting with Isaac and drawing that stick-figure image in the hospital.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Really liked that Micah very calmly and matter of factly asked Jessica if he could talk to Niki, REALLY liked that.

"I'm gonna put it on youtube and make a million dollars!"

"You idiot youtube is free!"
[Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does the show seem to be moving rather slowly these last couple of episodes? It's probably related to the sheer number of major characters to cover, but it seems like as soon as it starts, it's over and all we had time to do was briefly check in with everyone.

BTW, that was probably my fav quote too BB.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Is it just me, or does the show seem to be moving rather slowly these last couple of episodes? It's probably related to the sheer number of major characters to cover, but it seems like as soon as it starts, it's over and all we had time to do was briefly check in with everyone.

BTW, that was probably my fav quote too BB.

Well there's that, and then there's the ungodly amount of commercials with which they are disrupting the show. Seriously, I timed it when I was watching Lost a few weeks ago. We get 5 minutes of show, and FIVE MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS.

Then we get a commercial for the American Express card to tell us to 'log onto (website) for bonus Lost (or other show) content!'

Yeah, that's the content that isn't showable in the episode because of all the COMMERCIALS. In fact, there are so many commercials that the show actually goes overtime (heroes does, anyway) and Time Warner's DVR box cuts off the last two minutes of every episode. It really pisses me off.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I dl the eps online so theyre commercial free, and i watch them on channel 52 on cabble.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to seriously question your timing. I generally watch the podcast not the broadcast version. Last weeks episode of Lost was 43:57 without commercials. This weeks episode of Heroes was 43:25. There are both within 1 minute of the length of all the current run TV shows out there.

As an interesting note, when I looked at some much older shows, they were all over 50 minutes in length for an hour broadcast and over 25 minutes in length of 30 minute broadcast.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
The show is walking the edge of becoming boring, way too much family drama on this episode.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just me, or hasn't Hiro's English improved significantly since the last episode. He spoke rather clearly to DL and the kid.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it didn't stick out to me too much, particularly since it was things I think he has heard/read before (about his powers, comic book-type stuff, etc.).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus Ando might be teaching him.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
That too. Common terms he's heard before + someone possibly teaching him + being slightly immersed in the culture = language skills will increase. At least that's what I think.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I definately think Ando's teaching him.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why DL needed a 'crew' to pull a job, he could walk through a wall for goodness sake. Unless his power just emerged while he was in prison. He seems to have a pretty good grip on the power for it to be new.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

According to the comic, he first noticed the power while in police custody, when his handcuffs slipped through his wrists.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I think that Nathan and Peter's father faked his death. And that he is Sylar.

I take this back. Feast your eyes on Paul Sylar. Got this from Watch with Kristin.
General Sax
Member # 9694

quote:
According to the comic, he first noticed the power while in police custody, when his handcuffs slipped through his wrists.
It seems like everybody's powers are just showing up, is their any other critical background we do not have Lisa?

Does anybody think the Cheerleader might get tired of losing her virginity every time she tries to make love?

Seriously though it seems as if she has some sort of pain deficiency, letting herself be hurt (as with the pan of hot muffins) because it heals does not seem to be sufficient reason. She has no aversion to pain, so either this was never learned (she has always healed but never before was seriously injured) or her power includes a pain cut out.

Nathan had a good point, even though he can fly, and the others have powers they are not trained to do anything when they get there. The Cheerleader may have Wolverine's power but all she can do is get up after having her butt kicked by the bad guys.

The introduction of Radioactive dude also seems to point to a possible source for the nuclear blast that is not terrorist related.

We have seen that the powers seem to center on psychological effects and to be local to the mind, so long as the Cheerleader's brain was offline (thing stuck in it) her power was as well. The killer is taking brains, so he is either destroying or collecting powers. Also the powers seem to be affected by things that twist the mind. I wonder what would happen if someone slipped Hiro a hit of acid...

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hehe her boyfirend/husband at that time might consider it a plus havign sex with a perpetual virgin.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself wonder about her hair.

It is well styled and trimmed, so obviously it can be cut and doesn't grow back right away.

However, all the suicide attempts must have led to situtations where her hair would get cut/burned. I don't think it was even singed when she got out of the train fire.

If this isn't a plot hole, then her regeneration must have something to do with her mental concept of herself.

If she got something pierced, I bet it wouldn't heal. If someone pierced her against her will though, I bet it would.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
hehe her boyfirend/husband at that time might consider it a plus havign sex with a perpetual virgin.

hoo boy, I am annoyed that I even grinned at that comment.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

I wonder too about her aging, will she be 17 forever? I think that her husband or boyfriend might get annoyed after a bit.

Now they need to find someone who can temporarily give a power to another. Peter seems to be a good candidate, if he can imitate and bestow powers for a short time he can use the Cheerleader to heal other, like his sister in law!

It would be cool if he could expand his power and it makes sense in the light of his powerful empathy that he can give as well as receive.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Knowles at AintItCool.com already did that riff, commenting that due to the perpetual hymen restoration and subsequent pain of penetrative sex her powers were guaranteed to produce an eternally hot, teenage lesbian cheerleader. He saw this as a good thing.

He didn't word it quite so genteely, however...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
I myself wonder about her hair.

It is well styled and trimmed, so obviously it can be cut and doesn't grow back right away.

However, all the suicide attempts must have led to situtations where her hair would get cut/burned. I don't think it was even singed when she got out of the train fire.

If this isn't a plot hole, then her regeneration must have something to do with her mental concept of herself.

If she got something pierced, I bet it wouldn't heal. If someone pierced her against her will though, I bet it would.

It's possible that she didn't have this power all her life, and that it developed at menarche. So maybe she hasn't had a haircut since then.
General Sax
Member # 9694

Wow, I did think it was kind of nice to see her get out of the uniform, who ever gets tired of cheerleaders... I must after five weeks or so, I had not thought about the lesbian angle, perhaps she and naughty Nicki? Or I have a solution! The guy who can pass through solid objects! We know he can partially phase and be solid on the far side!

(edit) also Peter is an option with the black guy in the room watching to lend his power.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Or maybe hair is already dead except inside the follicle so regenerate isn't really a good word for it. Seeing as how everybodie's hair is constantly regenerating, which is why it gets longer.
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Things are getting a little too explicit here, folks, and it's a family-friendly forum -- please rein it in.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

^-^
General Sax
Member # 9694

More implicit the explicit but amusing none the less.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you missed it General Sax...that was another warning of you stepping over the line. Please don't get the thread locked.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think that was unnneassary Mr Bao
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Blayne,

He himself has asked in the past to be told if he is stepping over the line, or toeing the line, something to that effect. Bob Scopatz even started a thread to discuss it with him. Papa Janitor has a very friendly style. I'm just letting General Sax know that the fact that Papa Janitor commented at all should be kind of a heads up-kind of a mental note to file away under 'things that I say that could potentially violate the TOS agreement' category. I'm not trying to insult him or start a fight at all [Smile]

Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't. We're enjoying this thread, and General Sax appears to have boundary issues. He's asked before to be informed if he was treading in dangerous waters, and I personally took that request as serious.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I take this back. Feast your eyes on Paul Sylar. Got this from Watch with Kristin.
Thats not what the imdb page for Heroes says.

Boromir!

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
So wait - back to Heroes - is it Monday yet??!! ; ) : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Sean Bean?!? But... it was Maurice LaMarche's voice!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Says you!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

No, really, it was.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005606/

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Ausiello says it's someone we've never heard of. So I really doubt it's Sean Bean. I'm also really surprised the Heroes people would let that get put up there. Does anyone know who updates imdb and if it's possible for it to be wrong?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

Heroes is not a family show Papa, and nothing we said here (except if you follow a link I did not post) is as sexy as the show.

Boa, Whatever Bob posted I refuse to be drawn into it, but I have never said anything that did not match the rhetoric of the conversation. I take my cue from the community, so if Papa has stepped in (once) it was those familiar with the standards that had the responsibility, I just took the blame as a newcomer.

Please do not try to bait me into playing the blame game Bob wants to start, do not mock me because I do not want to play it.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

GS: I don't think they are trying to play a blame game, just pointing out that you are being inappropriate. You could take their point into consideration without being drawn into an arguement about it.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

http://www.heroestheseries.com/who-is-the-supervillain-sylar/

If that's Sean Bean, I'm Guinan.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Jus so we know it was I that mad the first witty inuendo
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
quote:
quote:

Thats not what the imdb page for Heroes says.
<shrug> I'll go with Kristin. It's not that she's never wrong; it's just that she's rarely wrong.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So I watched all 7 episodes [Big Grin] . First things first: I watched the episodes in bunches, and I need to go back and check, but I'm reasonably sure that the "What happened last week" shots are different than what we were actually shown last week. It was most apparent (and again, I need to recheck this) when DL was talking about having a gift. I don't think it means anything, I just thought it was interesting.

A few pages ago the possibility of Peter being a villain was brought up and I started thinking ... What's going to happen when Peter is around "Jessica" or whoever? Is the split-personality a part of her power? If it is, will it cause Peter to become evil? I mean, Syler infiltrated the FBI (DL's power?), was shot repeatedly and lived (Claire?), and appeared to fly (Nathan). The voice on the answering machine certainly didn't sound like Peter and there are certainly some continuity issues (I don't like the thought of Hiro's power being used for evil. Opens too many weird doors), but perhaps it's someone with Peter's same power ... or something. It just doesn't seem right that one villain embodies at least 3 of our current heroes powers.

And I think it's pretty definite that torch dude is going to be the "bomb".

I had thought of some other comments, but they can wait.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.