FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 14)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
When Sylar met with with the telekinesis guy, he said something like, yes, I see how you are broken.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hiro is my favorite. [Smile]

For those of you who are interested in trivia, Brian Davis (the first person Sylar killed), was played by David Berman, who also plays the assistant coroner on CSI.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler predictions.

Eve gets killed by Sylar and he absorbs her powers. That is the power he uses to convice nuke guy to kill himself in NY and that is what blows NY up.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder about Sylar. I hope that's not the best explanation they're gonna give us. Evidently his power is to see how things are broken (which means Chandra wasn't mistaken), but it doesn't explain how he absorbs other peoples powers. That was all very weird, his whole "Aha! It's in the brain! I can fix you! Woohoo!" *clunk*
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Megan

I noticed that.

I think Claire has been trying to be someone she is not the past 6 months, so that she could fit in with the cheerleader crowd.

I just want to know more about her dad, since he seemed to know about people with powers before Mohindar's dad and he seemed to be immune to Eve's mind control. Or it could be the other guy in the room.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
What scholar said about the people being 'broken'. It made me wonder if the cheerleader had something, too.

Msquared- I think he wasn't affected by her power because he had Tall Dark and Silent to block her power. Don't know what he does, but he seems to be a kind of psychic sink hole besides being able to wipe people's memories.

I think Sylar is totally eating the brains, and I hope we don't get more information about THAT. Anybody notice Sylar was Adam on 24... the biohazard season, I forget which one that was. Two?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, now I'm wondering about the other cheerleader too. He should've known who had powers and who didn't.

But all the paintings that Isaac made were pretty clearly of Claire, and you notice that when Sylar saw what her power was, he immediately dropped the other cheerleader and came after her, which means he either didn't know about her, or had a case of mistaken identity. If he knew the one he killed had powers or no powers, he should've been able to detect the same thing with Clarie being right there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Maybe he couldn't see it right away... like he didn't immediately see what was different about the CSI guy, until the power had been demonstrated.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
When Sylar met with with the telekinesis guy, he said something like, yes, I see how you are broken.

Sure, but not when he came in. He didn't say that until after the guy said he wanted to get rid of his power. After digesting the bizarre (to him) idea that someone might not want a power, he concluded that the guy must be broken.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
My own spoiler predicitions:

I don't think Sylar has an ability to detect as you all seem to claim. He didn't detect the first guy's problems until he focused on him, like he focused on Chandra's watch to find out why it was broken.

He knew there was a cheerleader with abilities - and the evidence available to him indicated it was the Other Cheerleader, rather than Claire - so he proceeded to go for her. If he had completed the process to remove her brain, once he started to focus on her brain - that is likely the point when he would have realized that she was not the cheerleader he was after.

Also - I don't believe he is eating the brains. I think he is studying them to find out what part is "broken" or different so he can turn on that switch in his brain.

I'm no geneticist, so take this as a layman's view of what is happening. Chandra's research indicates that there is a genetic marker that identifies someone as special... able to develop abilities. It does not identify the powers that the person actually has or could have. Sylar has this genetic marker. This implies that Sylar has the ability to develop powers - he only needs to know what "switch" to turn on in his own brain. By studying the brains of other mutants, his ability enables him to enable the different switches in his brain - thus, obtaining their powers.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm curious as to what gave Sylar the idea to actually EAT someone's BRAINS.

Or if you're right, to STEAL their brains.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Maybe the powers emit something when used? Something he can now sense?

I think the pictures were generic enough, good looking blonde cheerleader, that it could have been of either girl. They both were in the stereo type of the blonde cheeleader type. If we had not met Claire and known she was a main character, I could have seen another person thinking the picture was of the other girl. Peter made the exact same mistake. He met her in the hallway, by the trophy case, and did not know it was her.

msquared

Olivet
Member # 1104

He probably does eventually see how they are different, but I agree that it probably wasn't some immediate thing. So the mistaken identity makes sense. He didn't take Poser Cheerleader's brain, after all.

If he STEALS the brains, then where do they go? Because they are missing in the cases that we've seen. If all he has to do is look at the brains and see how they are different, then why does he take them with him? Is he walking around with brains in his pockets?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Or maybe he is doing something far more sinister!
gnixing
Member # 768

Perhaps he is collecting them somewhere, or destroying them. I don't buy the idea yet that he must be eating them. I do think that he needs to remove the brain to properly study it with his special gift.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I just have this vision of the guy skulking around with brains oozing in his pockets...

For me, this guy's characterization is all in the eyebrows. The actor's eyebrows scream "serial killer" don't they?

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Her name is Eden. Eden. Not Eve.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:

For me, this guy's characterization is all in the eyebrows. The actor's eyebrows scream "serial killer" don't they?

If my eyebrows were constantly screaming suggestions to me, I'd probably wonder if I was crazy anyway.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was the first person in this thread to mention Slyar "eating" the brains of his victims (too lazy to check), but I didn't mean I actually thought he was doing that.

I just used that to represent the thing he does with the brain to absorb their powers. I still don't rule out them being munched on, but I doubt that's whats happening.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
Spoiler predictions.

Eve gets killed by Sylar and he absorbs her powers. That is the power he uses to convice nuke guy to kill himself in NY and that is what blows NY up.

msquared

Why do you keep calling her Eve? Just curious.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Old man disease? [Wink]

For some reason I have that name stuck in my head for her.

Eden it is.

msquared

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still operating on the theory that Sylar takes the brains as part (blue prints for getting their powers) and part (serial killers trophy).

His self description of his past life screams serial killer, especially the parts about wanting to be different and wishing he had different parents.

I don't think Sylar neccesarily knows the powers of the people he takes the brains from, he merely see's the difference in their brains as opposed to normal people and he simply makes the change in his own brain.

Perhaps he actually operates on his own brain which is why he wears a hat all the time?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean he keeps an "open mind"?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
Old man disease? [Wink]

For some reason I have that name stuck in my head for her.

Eden it is.

Sorry... I honestly didn't know if you had a reason, like if she'd been on another show or something with that name.
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Eden is the girl who can make suggestions? I missed her name but she is certainly the one that will die next episode, from a plot standpoint she is the expendable one, we have the cute cheerleader and her power and that of the Haitian have to be gotten around for Sylar to escape. Also she is morally ambiguous and living on borrowed time, she is apparently quite the criminal, totally amoral yet she was so tender about the drug addict? New personality implant by they Haitian dude? Or just a little girl waiting for someone to say no?
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Sylar seems derivitive of the character background JK Rawlings used for Voldemort....
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I would think that Eden would be tough to kill...she would just have to tell him to stop (we have already seen that her power works on him).

Of course, killing her could explain how syler would blow up new york. If he had her power, Syler could easily get the nuclear guy to go into the city and blow himself up.

My guess is that Peter won't be in that much trouble...Clair is sure to make sure he gets out of jail. He did save her life after all.

I was upset that Hiro couldn't save that girl with the memory. I thought she was a good match for him, they both have that innocent thing going that helps balance out the darkness of the show.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible Eden will join Sylar, since Mr. Bennet kind of made her mad or whatever. That's kind of the vibe I was getting, that she was pissed and was gonna turn on him (because of the whole forcing Isaac thing).

And I don't think the fire guy (I personally think he can *just* burn and not necessarily be nuclear) will need much provocation to blow up.

Oh, and did Ando go back to the diner after he helped Peter or whatever? Or did he even go with Peter? I didn't download Homecoming so I can't remember what he did after meeting up with Peter.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't go with Peter.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Megan! I knew that guy looked familiar.

D.L. and Niki are so good-looking that I find it hard to follow the dialogue in any scene they're in together.

BTW, were Niki and Jessica identical twins?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it rather coincidental that Sylar's powers are somewhat a "manual" permanent version of Peter's own.

Oh and for Xavier... Blackblade was the first to mention the idea of eating brains. And I was the first to mention that of acquiring the powers of the brains... Sorry,I am just seriously bored and decided to look it up. [Smile]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
awesome episode.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
So did Sylar still kill Charlie, or did she die of the brain thing? (I guess the brain thing?)
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
actually i think its the anerism.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
What I want to know is, how did Hiro get a copy of a Japanese newspaper in Odessa, Texas? It would be entirely too coincidental for him to just happen to be carrying a six-month-old newspaper with him that was from the date he needed.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

He teleported and got one. Duh.

He does actually seem to be having quite a bit more control over his power - The whole crane thing, the flowers, all that kind of stuff.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy it. The previous day, he went back six months when he only wanted to go one day, and now he can teleport that easily and precisely? And then later, he couldn't teleport at all.

The cranes and the flowers are a simple matter of stopping time long enough to make or get what he needed, although he would have had to steal the flowers, or just leave some money on the counter for them. He's already shown many times that he has mastered stopping time, but I can't think of any times that he has managed to teleport exactly when/where he wanted. I would find it incredibly cheesy if the writers gave Hiro the ability to teleport with accuracy just long enough to fetch a newspaper.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

How did he get back to the diner in regular-time? I'm asking, not offering that as a point. He said he took the bus, but I thought the last time we saw him before that he was in Japan. I don't think they have a transpacific bus quite yet. As I said in the beginning, Hiro's power is a very dangerous one to include in a story. I hope the writers know what they're doing.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Its interesting that many of the characters super powers started manifesting themselves at about the same time that Hiro teleported to the past. I wonder if his teleporting to the past caused a time rift that somehow triggered expression of the super genes in a bunch people.

Perhaps Hiro's message "Save the Cheerleader, save the world", was intended to keep Hiro from going back in time and triggering expression of Todd($)'s radioactive gene.

On second thought, I can't think of any reason why Hiro wouldn't have given a less cryptic message if that were the case.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
actually i think its the anerism.

See I though that too, but how would she have blood dripping down her forehead onto her face if it was an aneurysm? Also why would Sylar be at the diner and then simply leave when she was alone in the back room?

Also they pretty much say they have never seen anybody killed that way, but maybe my memory is faulty.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
How did he get back to the diner in regular-time? I'm asking, not offering that as a point. He said he took the bus, but I thought the last time we saw him before that he was in Japan. I don't think they have a transpacific bus quite yet. As I said in the beginning, Hiro's power is a very dangerous one to include in a story. I hope the writers know what they're doing.

All we know is that he was unable to teleport back to the diner from Japan. Whether he managed to teleport to somewhere in the United States and then took a bus to Odessa, or if he had to fly again and then take a bus, I don't think there's any way to know at this point. But that very thing is what would make it so strange if he teleported to Japan and back just to get a newspaper, and there were no complications.

I suppose it might turn out that there's some hidden reason why Hiro can't teleport very well, such as some other character "blocking" him or something, which would make it all make sense. However, at this moment, things don't seem to be adding up.

--Mel

gnixing
Member # 768

I got the impression from Hiro's explanation that he went forward and backward in time trying many things to save her life, but no matter how hard he tried - nothing worked. He teleported to Japan in the instant that he might have made the crucial difference, and couldn't get back to that moment, because it would have impacted the past.

It sounds like his power gives him the ability to change the future, but not the past. His conversation with Peter on the train seems to be the one exception, and Hiro himself seemed to understand that he had very limited ability to do or say more at that moment.

Thus, he does have a measure of control over his ability, enough to teleport to Japan and back to get the proper paper, but not to go back in time one day, if that one day would allow him to change the past.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wasn't the most obvious effort he made to change the past successful though?

He got Peter to save the cheerleader.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hiro can change the past as well as the future. In this case though, there was nothing he could have done to save her no matter what he tried. At least that's how I took it. I don't think there are limits on his powers or that any character is blocking him or something. I think he's just struggling to figure out how to make them work. I mean look, he tried to skip back a day or so and ended up six months in the past. He's obviously a little more trained in stopping time completely, as we've seen him do it on numerous occasions. The actual teleportation and time travel though seem to cause him a little more difficulty. If the future Hiro who talked to Peter is any indication though, Hiro should gain more control over it and be more accurate as he has more time to adjust to the power.

EDIT: Some people have already said some of the stuff I said (about stopping time compared to teleporting and time traveling). I just thought I'd share my opinion on it though.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
When Hiro talked to Peter, he was fairly cryptic- it was really Isaac's power that made the mission feasible since Hiro didn't tell them when, where, how, why or anything else useful. Also, he had had some undisclosed amount of time to practice so maybe in the intervening months/ years he learned some way to bypass that for atleast a moment. Also, they could explain it away by the moment being allowed because of Peter's power. Afterall, if you could pick anyone to tell to go up against the big bad, would Peter be the first choice? The cheerleader's power wasn't enough to save her, so why bet it times two would be enough.
As far as the paper- does he have to teleport all the way to Japan- how about just the nearest big city? For that matter, he could probably set up a subscription to wherever he is staying (expensive but feasible).

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming it's one of the bigger Japanese newspapers, he might be able to get it at a bigger newsstand in a larger city.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
I say mind control powers because of the scene in the FBI where he forced the chick to put the gun to her head. I took that as mind control powers at least.

I know that's what you were talking about, but it's not mind control. It's telekinesis. Sylar exerts force using his mind...uh, I guess one could call that "mind control," but usually that phrase calls to mind directing someone else to do something they otherwise wouldn't, rather than exerting an external force to the degree that the other person's physical strength is overcome.

Simpler: it's A) Cop, put your own gun to your own head vs. B) Cop, while you resist, I will force the gun in your hand to point at your head.

Mind control rests with the Haitian dude and Eden.

Here I am, almost 27 years old, arguing about a minor plot point of a fictional television show. Oh, dear.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I don't think he has mind control either otherwise we would have a situation where 2 people have the same power, as in Sylar and Eden can do the same thing.

But then again Sylar flew in that episode and nobody can explain how he did that without getting Nathan's brain.

EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
Eden and Sylar don't have the same powers. It's just as mistaben described....

Eden is more of a persuasion thing. Like Yoda! She has those Jedi mind tricks mastered!!

~Earl

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.