FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 16)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The Haitian is the traitor, I think. He turned traitor against Mr. Bennett at the end. I am wondering why Sylar was content to just sit in that room if he had the strength the shatter that glass all along. That part didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Anyone else love how Peter and Matt together produced high squeal feedback? I thought that was really well done.

I don't like the "romance" between Matt and the FBI chick. Awfully predictable.

If they kill off Peter I'm going to be really upset. He's one of my most favorite characters and that actor, of all the rest, looks the most like a comic book character come to life.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The "FBI chick" sets off my gaydar, but I think it's because that actress was a lesbian in a movie once... In any event she seems to be straight enough to find Matt "cute"

I was bummed that Eden died... I liked her.

This is one of those shows that makes me look at my watch and think "OH NO!!! Only 10 minutes left!"

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of Sylar's abilities is control over metal and Eden's gun was the first metal that came near him.

I think the Haitian guy's power is to cloud memories, but I think the power dampening ability belongs to Claire's dad. He wasn't there, so Sylar could affect Eden's gun.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else love how Peter and Matt together produced high squeal feedback? I thought that was really well done.
That was what my freaking cooool line was about. It wasn't just the squeal, but the whole back and forth with both the physical and "what the heck is he doing?" thing. Both of them played it really well. If this hadn't immediately been followed by best Studio 60 episode so far, this ep would have been my favorite TV in a long time.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Definately the best episode of this show yet. I can't wait for more.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of you have it wrong.

Claire's dad has the power to block others powers. It would seem to always be active. He was blocking the cop from reading their minds. He was able to block Syler from using his TK. He was able to block Eden from making him do things.

Sylar was able to use his TK on Eden but not the dad. The Hatian can remove memories but he can not do it to the dad. The one time Claire hurt herself when her dad was around, she kept bleeding. He has never been around when she was hurt.

Peter has been exposed to quite a few powers. Claire, Hiro, Nathan, Issac, Sylar, Matt, Claire's dad.

You watch. Claire's dad is a Hero as well.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by msquared:

You watch. Claire's dad is a Hero as well.

msquared

Hero or Villan? So far, there has only been one Villan.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I also expect the new episodes in Jan. to start off slow again.

This show has done a great job of starting off slow and building tension. They did a fairly nice job of having a nice climax this week and last, but I do not think that they can maintain and build for another 10 -12 weeks or so.

So expect the show to start off slow again next year.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
NBC has ll of the shows available online for free.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Claire's dad is a Hero, if you go by the series premise that any one with powers is a Hero.

He is acting on both side of the fence for Hero/Villan on the show. He is the fourth side.

You have the good guys. You have the really bad guy. You have the cops. You have Claire's dad and whoever he is working for. It might be Linderman.

msquared

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
The "FBI chick" sets off my gaydar, but I think it's because that actress was a lesbian in a movie once...

"But I'm A Cheerleader"! Great movie.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the online comic. It gives some interesting information about Syler's escape.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
The "FBI chick" sets off my gaydar, but I think it's because that actress was a lesbian in a movie once...

"But I'm A Cheerleader"! Great movie.
I can't really watch anything with Clea Duvall in it without thinking of that movie.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by beatnix19:
Check out the online comic. It gives some interesting information about Syler's escape.

As in the fact that he didn't escape, you mean?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
So, do you think Peter is the "bomb" that Hiro saw go off (and Isaac painted)?
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be that Peter gets too close to the radiation guy but hasn't had the time/experience to learn to control it.

I don't think Sylar had control over the gun or the glass - he TKed Eden and pulled her through it, then she turned the gun on herself to stop him from having her power.

I really want to know about the dinosaur and the sword. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The word is villain, not villan. (Some of us still care!)
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ron

Spelling was never my strong point. [Smile]

I also think Eden realized what she had done when she turned the gun on herself.

msquared

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
But if Claire's dad dampens powers, how could he have followed through on Eden's plan anyway?

How could he be with Eden enough to dampen Sylar's power and yet allow Eden to control him?

No no it was The Haitian who by standing near the interrogation room blocked the cop's mind reading power. The only other time that happened was when he saw the Haitian in the bar, as stated in the episode. Man the cop is the ONLY person I don't have a name for, I need to pay attention.

Additional evidence of this is in the 2nd episode I believe Claire's dad with the Haitian chased down Nathan and he was still able to fly away with Mr. Bennett in front of him.

edit: How was Sylar able to disregard Eden's commands the second time but not the first? Was it because he was weakened the first time? Or was it like the cop where Eden had to tell him a few times to go get donuts?

I was sad to see Eden die, I really liked her character by the yesterdays episode.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Sylar didn't disregard Eden's commands. She told him she was going to put the gun into the room with him, and that when she did, he was going to pick it up and blow his head off.

He didn't give her time to put the gun in the room. In fact, it may have been his desperation when he realized that he had exactly until she put the gun in the room with him to live that gave him the impetus to slam her through the window.

General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
There still had to be some kind of dampening effect, or was Clair's dad just counting on physical strength of the cell to thwart Sylar? Neither he nor the Haitian remained present at all times.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sylar didn't disregard Eden's commands. She told him she was going to put the gun into the room with him, and that when she did, he was going to pick it up and blow his head off.

He didn't give her time to put the gun in the room. In fact, it may have been his desperation when he realized that he had exactly until she put the gun in the room with him to live that gave him the impetus to slam her through the window.

Ohhh good point.

GS: Perhaps there was something about the room that dampens Sylar's power. I don't think there is enough evidence that Mr. Bennett dampens people's power.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"How could he be with Eden enough to dampen Sylar's power and yet allow Eden to control him?"

He wasn't with her. He wasn't with her when Sylar was captured, and he wasn't with her when he sent her in to tell Isaac to take the drugs.

Although he was nearby when the guy flew, so that could screw that theory. [Smile]

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter first acted sick when the Bennetts showed up at the jail. Could his sickness be some Peterish version of Mr. Bennett's power, whatever it is?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Chris: What I meant was if Eden had had her plan accepted by Mr. Bennett how would he have been able to suppress Sylar's power and still allow Eden to use her power if he just has some sort of dampening field?

Puppy: Perhaps Peter being in close proximity to Sylar is making him sick? He did have that nightmare where Sylar spoke to him.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
Peter first acted sick when the Bennetts showed up at the jail. Could his sickness be some Peterish version of Mr. Bennett's power, whatever it is?

Hmm... maybe they're opposites. Peter absorbs the powers of others without reducing their power, and Mr. Bennett damps powers. So Peter is trying to absorb the power of damping powers, including his own... that could cause a nastier feedback loop than the one he had with Parkman.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Chris: What I meant was if Eden had had her plan accepted by Mr. Bennett how would he have been able to suppress Sylar's power and still allow Eden to use her power if he just has some sort of dampening field?

The dampening could be (a) under volitional control, and/or (b) directional.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

The dampening could be (a) under volitional control, and/or (b) directional.
I've considered that possibility.

The whole Nathan incident is the only thing that really makes me question Mr. Bennett possibly having that power.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Possible they didn't know Nathan could fly? They looked pretty damned surprised when he Supermanned himself away from the situation.

If we assume that it is either Haitian or Bennett that has the ability to cancel out powers, and since the Haitian is ALWAYS there, I don't think you can by any means rule him out, then either way that's a plot hole, that Nathan escaped.

The difference is what Lisa pointed out, is his ability automatic, like a bubble that surrounds him (think ysalimiri and the Force from Star Wars)? Or is it something that he HAS to turn on and focus on someone, and how much control and concentration does that take?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It is note worthy that Mr. Bennett has always left before the Haitian erased someone's memory and has never been with Eden when she has used her power.

I wonder what the connection is between Peter's dreams and his power. Bennett indicates that no one but Sylar has exhibited multiple powers. But Peter has both prescient dreams and is able to mimic others powers when he is in their presence. Are these somehow two different manifestations of one power or is he another exception?

Why hasn't Bennett had the Haitian erase Peter's memory? He has tried to erase everyone elses memory who knew about Claire, why not Peter? We saw the Haitian in the police office where Peter was being held but maybe erasing memories takes physical contact so it couldn't be done through the locked door. Or perhaps Peter's ability to assume other's powers makes it impossible or too dangerous for the Haitian to erase his memory.

Why didn't Bennett have the Haitian erase Sylar's memory of Claire?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting that Bennett works for Linderman.

I also quite confident that Eden shot herself in the head to keep Sylar from assuming her power. I think the expression in his face confirmed that.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think the dreams are echoes of the powers. They are either telling him that he's absorbed them, or they are a latent form of the power itself. He dreamed of flying when he was around Nathan more than once. Now he's dreaming about New York, but that wasn't him actually seeing the future I don't think. Too strange that the city would be abandoned, especially since in Hiro's future, no one had any warning about the explosion, especially with the exception of all our known heroes who'd gathered there. And for that matter, that Claire would still be wearing that damned uniform even after having left the state of Texas.

I'm wondering if the range of his power is increasing, and he was picking up an echo of Isaac, seeing the future, but not as clearly as he had before, some sort of shadow that his mind mixed with a dream to make it less sure, and more subjective.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I'm betting that Bennett works for Linderman.

I also quite confident that Eden shot herself in the head to keep Sylar from assuming her power. I think the expression in his face confirmed that.

Eh. Considering he's tried or threatened to make people do that to themselves before, I don't know. Besides, we really don't know how his power works. If he is making genetic alterations, as Bennett said, then doesn't he just need their DNA and not a fully intact brain? There's no proof that blowing her head off would protect her powers from him, unless Eden knows something we don't, which I'm not convinced she does.

And I'll be disappointed if he works for Linderman.

General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was fear of what Sylar would do with her power that made her destroy her brain, incredible courage, and the frustration on Sylar's face! A superman who had something not go his way...

Peter is over and over described as an Empath, that could encompass everything we have seen, it could be that the links he forms remain as the source of his visions. If he is linked with Sylar then I think that accounts for his illness. I am surprised that Eden did not tell Sylar that he would no longer use his powers, or that the Haitian did not shell him out. I think a list of Sylar's victims powers would be helpful, is that part of the comic book doctrine?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I believe in the last episode they say "4 of these people on the list are dead."

Perhaps Sylar got all of them perhaps not

But "Telekinesis", "Flight" "See How Things Work" "Super Strength" That would make 4.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where do you get super strength and flight from?

Don't forget the guy who was frozen in that house in LA.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Considering he's tried or threatened to make people do that to themselves before, I don't know. Besides, we really don't know how his power works. If he is making genetic alterations, as Bennett said, then doesn't he just need their DNA and not a fully intact brain?
When he forced the cop to point the gun at her own head before, she wasn't someone whose power he wants. The look on his face when Eden shot herself was telling. Its quite clear this wasn't what he wanted. Since the super powers are the result of genetic mutations, it is only logical to assume that Sylar must alter his DNA to get the powers but we have no idea how he is able to do that. The only information we have is that he has taken the brains of every victim. In last weeks episode he said something about the powers being in their brains. All the evidence indicates that he needs the brains in order to get the powers even if it still isn't clear what he does with the brains. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, it makes no sense to assume he can get the powers without the brains.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the net comic has Bennett saying that Eden was Hero because she sacrificed herself to prevent a horrible man from getting her power.

So, NYAH.

I don't think the comic suggested that Sylar was still in custody, because I was not sure that the guy in that frame was Sylar. He looked like a pin cushion, making hime more likely a victim of Sylar.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It looked like they shot him full of tranq darts.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
In the absence of evidence to the contrary, it makes no sense to assume he can get the powers without the brains.
I can't get to the comic right now with my internet having issues, and I don't recall the look on Sylar's face, though I'll check that out later too.

I merely meant, that it shouldn't have been assumed that the brain had to be INTACT for him to get whatever secret he wanted out of it. I think we can all assume by now that he needs the brain to steal their powers, but this is the FIRST proof that we've seen that he needs the brain to be unharmed when he rips it from their skull. Charlie afterall had the aneurism, but we've yet to see him exhibit her power, or see if he suffered from the same problem after stealing it.

In absence of evidence to the contrary, it makes no sense to assume that the brains need to be in any certain condition before he can absorb their abilities, especially since we have zero evidence on exactly what the heck he does to get their powers.

Olivet
Member # 1104

Okay. That would be good. I guess I found it hard to tell on account of the total lack of resemblance some of teh comic characters have to their live action counterparts.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we assume that it is either Haitian or Bennett that has the ability to cancel out powers, and since the Haitian is ALWAYS there, I don't think you can by any means rule him out, then either way that's a plot hole, that Nathan escaped.
Hi. A friend has recently gotten me into this show, I've seen the first 5 or so and last nights.
I saw Nathan escaping as surprising too. Perhaps the Haitian can only erase mind powers, like the cop's, but not body one's like flight or Claire's regen?
This was probably disproved in a recent episode--I need to catch up!

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple more comments, sorry:
Comparing our "good" heroes with Sylar, I think only Peter and Hiro stand any chance against him, and only if Peter figures out how to use Sylar's powers against him quick.

And I really doubt Bennet is working for Linderman, (that's the mobster, right?) He doesn't seem like the type to go in with a mobster--what ever he's doing, it's because he believes in it.

Oh, and isn't it creepy when the Haitian says, "...and your mom, I erased her memory so many times."?

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

That kind of explains the weird dippy mother, doesn't it?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Spoiler for January
This is the description of the next episode, not much there, but it's something:

quote:
Some of the cliffhangers from the last episode are resolved. Claude, a new British hero, is introduced. Claude will offer a different view of the recent changes that have happened in the human evolutionary process and meet Peter Petrelli.

Nikisknight
Member # 8918

Certainly, but you wonder if it was just from her stumbling upon his secrets or some kind of experimentation or something.

edit: P.S. Hiro and Claire are totally cribing from Lanik Mueller. [Wink]

kojabu
Member # 8042

I don't know if I think Peter is the bomb guy yet. In one of his dreams, he thought he was seeing his brother, but then it turned into Sylar. In the second dream, people seemed to be running away from something that scared them but he didn't realize anything was wrong with him until right before it happened.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I so want them to be able to save NYC... I also so want to see what Hiro does in that one second between what (could be what) happens in Peter's dream and the end of it all as we know it. Is that when he kicks himself 'too' far back??

This might be my favorite new show since when CSI first hit tv - before the everynightness of it all.

*sighs* Can't wait 'til January... : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
How about this: Sylar studies the brains then tweaks his own DNA.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER!!!!!!

Alright, Claude, the new hero, is gonna have the power of invisibility AND he will be played by former Doctor (Doctor Who) Chris Eccleston!

"Claude, an invisible man played by British actor Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), appears January 22. “He’s been living with his invisibility for many years and has come to grips with it, so he’ll give us a different view into this hero world,” Tim Kring explains. “He’s big, imposing and charismatic, and will become a mentor to Peter - albeit a tough, reluctant and stern one. He’ll help Peter learn to use and control his powers.”"

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.