FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 21)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
1000th post! Woo!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter seemed kind of weak at first, not having a real power of his own, only able to share others' powers. But it seems to me he may be the most powerful of all, as he's learning to control this, and may be the only one who's a match for Sylar.
quote:
I'm excited to see what happens when Peter and the Haitian finally meet up...hehe. Is that what causes the explosion?
I always figured he adopted the power from Thermonuclear guy, and couldn't control it.

As for Nikki ... she was in the movie Legally Blonde, as the exercise instructor who was jailed for killing her husband, that Reese Witherspoon defended. She looks so familiar in prison orange now.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walleo77
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for Walleo77           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that I missed the tag. I am so ashamed. So much for being a Treky
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember Future Hiro telling Peter "Be the one that we need."?

Well....

To me, even back when I saw it, it meant that he was going to be a foil for Sylar, using his multudinous borrowed powers to combat the ones that Sylar stole. Back then, I assumed that it meant he was going to have to keep all the other heroes nearby him to use the powers (in a very Captain Planet style approach), but now it appears he will simply be harnessing them.

Future Hiro (hereafter: FH) got Peter on the path that ended up with him meeting Claire, thereby exposing Peter to Claire's power, which is the first one that he was able to use away from another hero's presence. Without FH's "save the cheerleader, save the wolrd" speech, Peter almost certainly would not have met up with Claire. So as a result of FH's intervention, Peter now can regenerate, which increases the liklihood that Peter will be able to survive until his empathic powers are needed.

I'm convinced that all of this talk of Peter being the cause of the explosion is pure misdirection from the writers. The future catastrophe was one of the first things we heard about, and that was long before Peter was diverted into a path where he would eventually meet the numerous heroes. If FH was trying to prevent the explosion, he wouldn't have made it so Peter would be over-exposed, he would have tried to isolate him. (This assumes that FH knows a lot more about what he's doing than present Hiro.)

It has to be something else causing it, but I admittedly have no alternative explanation at this time.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, when I first heard the voice of the prison psychologist (I was looking away from the screen at the time), both my wife and I thought it was Penny J. Johnson (Kassidy, Sherry Palmer). But then I did a double-take and realized that it wasn't.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I know alot of you hate the Jessica/Niki storyline, but I actually enjoy it. I really wish the writers would establish the extent of Jessica's power. One episode she throws her husband across the room, but in last episode she simply snaps her restraints that are, "Strong enough to restrain an elephant."

With that sort of strength she could have killed him while throwing him across the room, but she didn't throw him hard enough to, why? Jessica certainly doesn't like him.

Just a side note, I really liked how they presented Hiro's family. It was very Japanese and true to fact. I also liked that it reminds us that Hiro simply up and left work.

Did anybody else laugh when Ando said, "You're sister is hot." And in Japanese they translated "hot" as "Se Ku Si(see)" (go ahead, say it out loud)

[Big Grin]

Does anybody else wonder how Future Hiro since he has a sword (you can see it on him) told Peter that he was risking a "time rift" by coming there?

Is his power still not perfect even with the sword?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I know alot of you hate the Jessica/Niki storyline, but I actually enjoy it. I really wish the writers would establish the extent of Jessica's power. One episode she throws her husband across the room, but in last episode she simply snaps her restraints that are, "Strong enough to restrain an elephant."

With that sort of strength she could have killed him while throwing him across the room, but she didn't throw him hard enough to, why? Jessica certainly doesn't like him.

I've always found this to be a weakness of super strong characters, including Superman. It always seems like they should do a whole lot more harm than they actually end up doing and that the extent of their strength is large driven by the needs of the plot. I haven't seen anything to suggest that this will be different.

quote:

Does anybody else wonder how Future Hiro since he has a sword (you can see it on him) told Peter that he was risking a "time rift" by coming there?

Is his power still not perfect even with the sword?

I don't believe he really needs the sword. I think he's got confidence problems since he failed to save the waitress and is even afraid of his own power. He *thinks* he needs the sword to focus and he may even think that for a long time. I'm pretty sure that in the end, it's going to turn out to be a lot like the artist's drug addiction, though. (Well, not quite as harmful.)
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walleo77
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for Walleo77           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the reference to the the time rift risk is because Hiro is coming from the future and with "future wisdom" giving peter a little push. If Hiro has said too much then the future would theoretically change.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Does anybody else wonder how Future Hiro since he has a sword (you can see it on him) told Peter that he was risking a "time rift" by coming there?"

That's his own understanding of time travel, not anything he's experienced. If you recall when Peter first called Ando and Hiro, Ando asked why he didn't just come to him in the first place, and Hiro said "he probably didn't want to create a time rift." It's just the rules he put on himself after watching a lot of sci fi, much like how a hero has a quest he must fulfil, and that being altruistic is the duty of those with powers.

Really though, if you had time travel, wouldn't you sit down and think about it logically, and not want to mess around with rifts and alternate realities and the such?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Word on the street is, Malcolm McDowell has been cast as Linderman. We may be seeing him soon.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I love Malcolm McDowell. He could potentially be a great Linderman.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Though we don't really know how strong Nikki's restraints were. It is very likely they are simply the normal restraints that they put on any prisoner. The psychologist might have just been saying that to comfort a woman with dissociative identity disorder
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I commented on this in the five minutes to midnight thread but its really more relevant in this one.

Until I read the article reporting that scientist had moved the hands on the doomsday clock two minutes closer to midnight, I hadn't realized that the doomsday clock stood at seven minutes to midnight. So I hadn't picked up on the reference to doomsday on Sylar's watch and episode named "seven minutes to midnight".

Why didn't some of you more with it people point this out before it had become a dated reference?

Do you think that the Heroes writers will somehow subtly work the updated doomsday clock setting into the show?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice that after Sylar threw Mrs. Bennett into the china cabinet something strange happeneed?

Sylar walked over to her, and while standing over her said "Hi." But the strange thing is that it was not in his own voice. It sounded like that scary low pitched voice that Eden used when she was trying to control someone. I know Eden shot herself in the head to protect her power from being taken, but could Sylar have gotten it anyway?

Im scared. Someone hold me.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Geraine))))

I think Sylar would be much more aggressive if he had that power. He'd be pretty unstoppable with it. Though we still don't know how powers are blocked, so ... We'll see [Smile] .

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
What powers has Sylar "stolen"? We know he has telekenesis but what else do we know for sure. We know he killed Charley so we can assume he has her super memory.

We've seen him shot at and survive twice. We've seen him fall from a great height and survive. We've seen that he can revive himself after a doctor has pronounced hime dead. But the fact that he is so anxious to get Claire's "talents" suggested that he doesn't have the power to regenerate the way she does. We've seen him make astounding escapes but have no really evidence that he flies. If could also be super speed or something else.
We know that one of the people he killed was flash frozen so he may have some cryogenic power.

How many people has he killed? This would give us a hint at how many powers he might have. It has been implied that Sylar needs peoples brains to assume their powers but we really don't know exactly what he does with the brains. Could this same process work for anyone, even someone who wasn't "special"? Has Sylar successful obtained the powers from everyone he has killed?

What will happen when Sylar and Peter meet? By meeting Sylar, could Peter assume all of his powers at once? I guess they did already meet at homecoming. Does this mean that Peter now has telekenesis and any number of other mysterious powers if he could learn to access them. Could Peter's illness and coma be an after effect of meeting sylar and assuming so many powers all at once.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

How much contact does Peter need with other Heroes in order to be able to mimic their powers? What other Heroes did Peter meet when he was in Texas? We know he met Claire and was able to regenerate. We also know that he was in rough proximity to the Haitian, Eden, Matt and Sylar while he was there.

Do you suppose that kind of rough proximity is enough for him to get access to their powers? Does he need to see them? Speak to them? Touch them? What does he need?

We know that he aquired invisibility and the ability to see the invisible guy before he ever spoke to him but he had seen him previously in the dream so that may have changed the rules. We know that he was some how able to exist in a time bubble with future Hiro but then again different rules may have applied since this was not Hiro's first meeting with Peter.

And I'm still curious about what is going on with Peter's dreams. No one else has presient dreams, at least no one that we know of. Has he assumed this power from someone we have yet to learn of or is this just another manifestation of his empathic power.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if he's going to use the Haitian's (???) power-blocking ability to block his OWN powers, once he learns to control them ..?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
((((Geraine))))

I think Sylar would be much more aggressive if he had that power. He'd be pretty unstoppable with it. Though we still don't know how powers are blocked, so ... We'll see [Smile] .

I could be way off but I think Sylar gleans much more pleasure from controlling others in spite of their actions. Case in point he let Mrs. Bennett try to call her husband before destroying her phone, and he let her try to get out the front door before slamming her into the cabinet. It would be pretty boring if he just controlled everyone, but I suppose he could just as easily glean pleasure out of making people hurt the ones they loved.

I am not so sure about Sylar "needing" Claire's power. Perhaps he simply feels he should be the ONLY one with powers, or that his power is the greatest and therefore its natural realization is the complete absorption of others powers. Notice Sylar steals power and Peter shares it.

Has it occurred to anybody else that if Peter absorbs too much power he will explode, would the same thing happen to Sylar if he succeeds?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Wasn't it implied in any earlier episode that Sylar was suffering somesort of degeneration from taking on so many powers.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I am not so sure about Sylar "needing" Claire's power.
Its not clear that he "needs" it but its certainly clear that he wants it. He has said he intends to take it.

When he was locked in the cell in an earlier episode, Bennett tells him "You've lost a lot of blood, it turns out your no so invincible after all".

All of it suggest that whatever Sylar's powers maybe, regeneration like Claire has isn't one of them.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter has the most Powers, hands down. I don't think he has the Haitians powers. Not close enough.

Sylar on the other hand, Peter was definately close enough to.

Peter has Time Travel/Teleportation, Invisibility, Regeneration, Telepathy, Telekenisis, Memory, Future Painting Stuff, Flight, see broken things... and has Eden's power (when she was with Mohindar). Everything that Sylar has, he has, and more. He doesn't have Niki's, DL's or Micahs powers, though.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Wow. What a seriously crappy episode. Only cool thing that happened was maybe Parkman starting to turn to the dark side. Even the bit with Sylar was dull. Oh well. If it doesn't pick up in the next few weeks, it probably will have lost me. It has so much potential, but these past two episodes have really been ... almost pointless.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call it crappy, but it definitely wasn't what it could have been. Then again I find most of the stuff involving Nikki boring. I was slightly disappointed we didn't see anything about Peter this week, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes. Still going to keep watching those as it's still better than most stuff on TV.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was vaguely disappointed. Nothing glaringly bad, just nothing really spoke to me.

I'm glad to see Jessica tie into other people's storylines finally. I liked that Ando got to be the center of attention for a bit.

I really hate the way they build stuff up (Claire will see her father!) and then don't deliver (she sees the back of his head as he drives away). Really, who cares? The only new development I got out of all that was that Mrs. Petrelli thinks Nathan is too soft. We could have done more mom playing Lady MacBeth and a lot less of everything else, IMHO.

And I don't have a bit of faith in them to deliver on next week's promise. So we'll see.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'll be disappointed if (don't read ahead if you don't watch the previews for the next week) Nathan is the one who does the flying. It'd be so anti-climactic.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this episode... It seems like all the 'heroes' are getting closer together.

I liked how the Sylar/Mohindar connection is more trickery on Sylar's part than anything...

I liked how Claire hung out and heard the conversation...

I liked how Ando got the spotlight...

I like the show - and I really enjoy everyone's comments in this thread!!

Anyone know how many episodes until the end of the season?

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't know. I'd assume the season would be 24 episodes or so, which would be another 9 episodes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another three or four listed on Wikipedia.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this episode was par for a series that has very little story to tell over a very long time. You have to expect some episodes to go slower and draw some stuff out. I thought this episode built tension well--it just didn't have any huge "reveals".

This show, while not always being perfect, has been consistently great in every episode I've watched.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So... no one going to say anything about how the constant erasing of Mrs. Bennet's mind is causing her to go bonkers? The previews say someone dies next week -- but if it is only her, that will be kind of anti-climatic.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I'm with Dr. Strangelove on this one -- for a while things were getting better, but now we're back to me being on the verge of giving this show up.

I don't feel that the show is building tension well. My feelings after watching last night's episode were impatient rather than concerned or worried about the characters or situations. There are too many things going on for me to keep them all straight in my head and the big thing that's looming over their heads -- the destruction of New York -- has only seemed real a few times and then I lose my focus of it again in the next episode when there is no follow-through or buildup on that plot line.

The best thing about last night's episode was that we finally had a little bit of action -- Matt vs. Jessie. As much as I dislike the Nikki/Jessie character I did appreciate her making things move a little bit and now she finally seems to be getting connected with the other characters a bit. I may develop more patience for this subplot if that happens.

I also liked Claire's mom getting mind-wiped one too many times.

BTW, did anyone else wonder why on earth Linderman is trying to have Nathan killed when he just went to considerable trouble to secure his election and have a politician in his pocket? I hope they explain that soon. I'm trying to have faith in the writers but just now it feels like a hole in the plot. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
That was a thing that troubled me as well, why pay him and then bump him off, they have the film of him with Nikki. If he is out of control they should try to snap him back first.

Here is proof that the future has changed, future Hiro recalled Peter with a scar, a fate that he can now avoid since he can recall Clair's power.

Matt is loosing weight! Good to see that, however I do not like forced ignorance, in what world would Nathan go get Peter after Peter died to save the Cheerleader and where Nathan had to apply political pressure to free him, but then Nathan never bother to see the girl? Not believable, less believable then the power of flight... Nathan should have recognized Claire. Further Clair would have insisted on knowing his name, and she would have recognized it, knowing it she could at least run away to her Uncle Peter.

We know from Peter's vision that she ends up in New York, so it irks me that we have false suspense by improbably withholding some names that we know will be discovered and lead to a trip to the Big Apple.

Clair's real mom is trash, reminds me of the mom from Million Dollar Baby. sad really, it will be good to see her exit stage left. Cool power used to light menthols in Mexico...

Still one of the most interesting shows, too bad we lost the guy who can cold liquefy metals and plastics, with that ability you could jump to some real next generation armor by molding composite blends of metals and polymers, a future series could use a body armor guy to solve the old vulnerability problem.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We agreed that Nathan probably recognized Claire in the photo on the cell phone, because of the confrontation with her when she wanted to visit Peter after he saved her. So he knows who she is. What he does with that knowledge remains to be seen.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Why the incessant whining about mediocre episodes? I do agree that this one wasn't particularly good, though for me it was simply a product of being tired of Sylar doing the same ol same ol, and more of the same from Jessica/Nikki, but big deal, there hasn't been a show anywhere that was never "off" from time to time. H:Lots, Deadwood, The Wire, Sopranos, X-Files, Seinfeld, Simpsons etc. If you expect it to be consistently great, every single week, you're expecting the impossible.

Just enjoy the ride, and disengage a bit if it stinks, if you want to drop it, drop it, but I don't get the point of whining about how much it sucks, and how you're going to give up on it or not. What's the point? It almost seems like some feel betrayed when they have an off episode, or don't develop the storyline as you would like. Well, it's not a perfect medium, and even the great one's go into the toilet at times, every single one of them.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

What's the point of whining about whining?

I've invested time and money into this show. I care about it. When it disappoints me like it did yesterday, it makes me sad and I express my dissatisfaction. So sue me.

The thing is, Heroes is a new show. Last night was an episode that would've been fine in any of the other shows you mentioned, because they already have a devoted following that easily puts up with it. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to become devoted to Heroes, and episodes like last nights put a little weight on the negatory side.

Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest problem with Heroes is that it has so many characters, and they've almost all been around from the beginning. With so many characters it can be hard to give equal airtime while still moving the story along, and viewers are bound to like some but not others. With one main character this wouldn't be a problem, if you didn't like him or her you could quit watching and you probably wouldn't miss the show. But with Heroes, I really like a couple of characters, sort of like others, and really dislike a few as well.

So I can easily get bored during scenes with characters I don't care about as much, and the scenes with my favorites never seem to last long enough to actually develop anything.

I'd guess that Peter is a favorite for many viewers. He's really into learning about his powers, and it's easy to see that he genuinely cares for the other characters. So an episode like yesterday's, that doesn't show Peter at all would seem like an "off" episode to anyone who enjoyed his character.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by graywolfe:
it's not a perfect medium, and even the great one's go into the toilet at times, every single one of them.

You, my friend, have obviously not experienced the wonder that is Firefly.
cmc
Member # 9549

Money, Dr Strangelove? How'd you invest money? (just an honest question)
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"in what world would Nathan go get Peter after Peter died to save the Cheerleader and where Nathan had to apply political pressure to free him, but then Nathan never bother to see the girl?"

Oh, I could completely believe that. Nathan is incredibly self-centered, perfectly capable of dismissing or just not seeing anything that doesn't directly help or hurt him. He doesn't care what Peter was trying to do and might even have avoided being seen around the girl to prevent photo ops. Dunno if he did see her or not, don't remember, but I can totally believe he went for Peter and ignored everything that happened.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
When the blonde stood up, the look on Ando's face alone was worth the price of admission.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I missed the first 10 episodes or so and either didn't know about them on NBC or got too frustrated by my slow internet connection, so bought them from iTunes and let them download while I slept.
cmc
Member # 9549

Gotcha... ; )
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
When they saw her crying, I said, out loud, "Tell me her name is Hope." And when she told them her sad, sad story, I snorted and said, "False hope."

Maybe it's just a matter of them not being familiar with US culture, or maybe Hiro and Ando haven't watched enough TV, but that whole thing was fairly obvious.

Jessica knows that Matt is a telepath. It's the only explanation for how he could have heard her talking with Nikki. And she may be a psycho, but she's not stupid.

As far as Linderman wanting Nathan dead... I can think of two possible reasons. Make that three:
  • He found out about Nathan having an illegitimate child (because he's bugging Nathan's phone), and he wants to cut his losses
  • He found out that Nathan can fly, and wants to eliminate him because he has powers
  • He wants to force Nathan to use his powers, and doesn't actually plan for Jessica to succeed in the murder attempt
But I guess we'll see.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by graywolfe:
it's not a perfect medium, and even the great one's go into the toilet at times, every single one of them.

You, my friend, have obviously not experienced the wonder that is Firefly.
Even Firefly wasn't perfect. One time... wait... okay, when they were... no, that was perfect, too. Huh. How about that? I guess you're right.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

As far as Linderman wanting Nathan dead... I can think of two possible reasons. Make that three:
  • He found out about Nathan having an illegitimate child (because he's bugging Nathan's phone), and he wants to cut his losses
  • He found out that Nathan can fly, and wants to eliminate him because he has powers
  • He wants to force Nathan to use his powers, and doesn't actually plan for Jessica to succeed in the murder attempt
But I guess we'll see.
1. If he found out about th illegitimate child, he could as easily "cut his losses" by doing nothing at all.
2. We obviously don't know Linderman very well, but from his actions so far I can't see him killing someone because they have powers. Jessie has them and he probably knows this by now.
3. Why would he want to force Nathan to use his powers? This could hurt his chances in the upcoming election, which Linderman has already paid for.

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly wasn't perfect. I hated "The Message". It had its moments, but the episode as a whole...very substandard.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar300:
I think the biggest problem with Heroes is that it has so many characters, and they've almost all been around from the beginning. With so many characters it can be hard to give equal airtime while still moving the story along, and viewers are bound to like some but not others. With one main character this wouldn't be a problem, if you didn't like him or her you could quit watching and you probably wouldn't miss the show. But with Heroes, I really like a couple of characters, sort of like others, and really dislike a few as well.

So I can easily get bored during scenes with characters I don't care about as much, and the scenes with my favorites never seem to last long enough to actually develop anything.

I'd guess that Peter is a favorite for many viewers. He's really into learning about his powers, and it's easy to see that he genuinely cares for the other characters. So an episode like yesterday's, that doesn't show Peter at all would seem like an "off" episode to anyone who enjoyed his character.

As someone previously mentioned, it has that same issue "Lost" has. It's spread itself so thin with mini-storylines and characters all over the place, that it ends up being awful unless it sharpens its focus on a few particular characters. This works fine if its characters and storylines people are interested in. Jessica/Nikki is not one of those storylines. I don't know anyone whose actually interested anymore in the Larter storyline beyond one recent poster. Of course there are many of the other issues people have mentioned.

As for my issue with the whining. It's simple, I just come on here to read thoughts and ideas about whats going on, and reaction, I'm not really keen on reading about whether someones gonna stop watching it again for the second time. I could really care less about that. Of course my interests don't dictate the thread, and shouldn't, I just am not sure why anyone would care about whether someone is deciding to stop watching or not.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Honestly, I'm curious if the story has gone so bad that it is driving people away. If you're not, then maybe you should just ignore those posts. It's all relevant to the discussion about the show. I would only draw the line if someone does decide to stop watching and then keeps coming back to complain and ask why everyone else keeps watching.
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else find the "Sulu" refrence hilarious?
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.