Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 39)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone just came along and sprinkled a bunch of powdered sugar on those brown things in the distance we call mountains. It's pretty.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
So long as you don't take a bite out of any of them.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, mountains. Aughhhhhtttttttttt. *drool.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Genevieve! That happened here too!! Someone must be hungry.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! Is there a mad powdered sugar sprinkler on the loose?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

If so he's using A LOT of powdered sugar.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use confectioner's sugar, it messes up the recipe.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Do you think the Jolly Green Giant has a sweet tooth?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Probably a veggie. Or is it "vegan" these days? (First time I saw that word was in Have Space Suit Will Travel---and it didn't refer to diet.)
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's been a rough one. My two year-old's temperature read 105.7. I called the doctor (my daughter freaking out in the background because I'm not holding her) and set up an appointment for three hours later. The nurse on the phone asks me if she has any other symptoms, at which point I pick up my daughter and she pukes all over me. So yes Nurse, she does. I put her in the bath, change my clothes, call my husband to come home, find a babysitter for my son, and then decide to just take her to the emergency room when my husband gets there. Her temperature at this point is 104.7(the ibuprofen must be working)

My husband comes home frantic and retakes her temperature, this time realizing that I put the thermometer shield on incorrectly.
He fixes it, retakes her temperature, and it is a balmy 100.2 degrees.

She is sick, but not call the grandparents sick.

Woops.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Vegetarian an old Indian word for poor hunter.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been doing some research on Black Holes lately and I came across some interesting things such as…

A hypothetical astronaut traveling towards the black hole center would not experience significant tidal forces until very deep into the black hole.

With this in mind and the hypothetical Molecular Disruption Device from Enders Game, what would happen if one was detonated with in a black hole?

Would it explode like the Bugger Home World, or would it Evaporate like according to Stephen Hawking’s theory of Black Hole Evaporation?

This has been bugging me since I thought it up the other day. I just want you all to know that I am neither a theoretical physicist nor clime to be one but this is blowing my mind with in my twisted little in need of lobotomy brain.

By the way, I also called several neurosurgeons and found out that a “Ice Pick,” or Trans Orbital Lobotomy depending on what you are trying to do can make someone into a zombie. They are in fact living "awake" dead with very, very, very, very, little thought process and semi aware like a new born baby.

Yes I know this is more than 13 lines or sentences whatever. This is random musings. At the moment its mine. Because I am one random person.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
With Einsteinian Relativity, as we understand it, nothing can escape beyond the event horizon of a black hole (no form of energy/light).

Quantum Mechanics allows for a black hole to leak or spray out the other side (probably not the best terms to use, but fairly accurate descriptions).

Regardless, the bomb would be sucked into the hole with no perceivable effect, but over billions of years could possibly shoot back out the other side.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I feel your pain Sheena. My five year old was out of school with a fever and cough for a week. She's just getting over it and now the two year has a 102.7 temperature (and yes, I took the cover off). She throws up but only because she coughs until she gags. I can't wait until everyone is better.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Despite claims of 98.6 (Fahrenheit) being normal temperature, I find my own normal level floats in the low 97s, and a mild fever puts me right at 98.6. When I've got a really high fever I'm usuall too sick to bother taking my temperature.

I would've thought putting the shield on the (digital?) thermometer wrong would have produced a lower reading, not a higher one. "Shimiqua," keep monitoring the situation.

They say that the term "black hole" is considered not-PC. However, they offered no substitutes. Wonder how they felt about the Black Hole of Calcutta?

(Or at least "someone" says. I forget who.)

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever listened to the news and had one of those "oh crap, that really could have been ME" moments?

This is why I should know better than to watch TV while I eat dinner. ::sighs::

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Ok what if you programmed the MD like a timed explosive. The density of the mater with in a black hole apparently is infinite but has significant mass to but is finite at any time so, I believe the MD would work on a black hole but I don’t know what would happen.

RFW2nd

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago I was freaking out because I believed that a black hole violated the law of entropy. It is after all the ultimate expression of order, everything wrapped up into a nice neat little package. Now I have been rethinking my ideas about entropy.

Personally I think an MD in a black hole would create a reaction but I think it would stay inside the event horizon, so it wouldn't change much at all. Or even be observable from the outside. (If I remember right the MD didn't destroy the matter just reordered it.)

"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Well maybe we could ask Stephen Hawking but I don’t think he has read Enders Game, and if he has he might not answer.

color at iris color

RFW2nd

PS: dose anyone know Stephen Hawking's e-mail address/ phone number/ mail address???

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited January 27, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You can call on Stephen Hawking, but will he answer?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

so he is like a "god"? a crippled god.

RFW2nd

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Oh I think you'd get through, but the real question is can you ever know if you were really talking to him. Perhaps he gave his secretary one of those talking computers so she could deflect calls from his mother and such.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I had in mind that he'd ignore any letter or e-mail, having better things to do with his time.

I always used to hear about generations of poor saps who were grad students, being sent up to try to get an interview with J. D. Salinger. They always got the brushoff...of course, from press reports yesterday, any interview conducted would be pretty one-sided.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Yeaaaaaa Breeding Season has started tonight the first night of the Full Moon, I am so happy but sad that I don’t have any female to mate with.

RFW2nd

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I wonder if we have a huge pile of Salinger works coming or if he really did quit writing. I wonder if I can quit writing?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Now that J. D. Salinger is deceased, I'm waiting for three things:

(1) When will that big posthumously-published interview come out? (Salinger can't put the lie to it now.)

(2) When will the first new work of his be published? (Rumor has it Salinger was still at it, just not publishing.)

(3) When will the movie version of The Catcher in the Rye come out? (Salinger hated the movie made of one of his short stories, and never sold film rights to anything else.)

Just so there's no doubt, I *hated* The Catcher in the Rye. It's one of those things I had to read for school, and that always put me up against the eight-ball as far as enjoying what I read. Perhaps if I read it today...but, then, no, I remember it pretty well and don't think I'd like it any better.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Bombs over Baghdad! or

Nukes over Baghdad!

RFW2nd

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

if you want to watch a freeky strange movie...

watch Pi by Darren Aronofsky. it will blow your mind and make you crazy like me

RFW2nd

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

ego can tantum sermo latin iam. ego cant memor quam ut sermo english secundum meus lobotomy.

RFWsecundus

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Wow, so you got a lobotomy and now you can only speak latin. That would explain quite a bit about the fall of the roman empire.

I'm tired, and I'm somewhat fluffy.

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
The groundhog saw his shadow, thereby predicting six more inches of snow before midnight. About a half inch has already fallen.

I think it's snowed once a week, every week, for two solid months now. Yeah, that might be the norm up north, but not south of the Mason-Dixon line...

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

etiam ego gave myself a lobotomy per an glacies pick iustus pro fun ( ego eram calx ) quod iam ego can tantum sermo latin , tamen ego can etiam lego english. quod Romanorum empire socius due ut christians , Visigoths quod mongol empire non ut lobotomys. lobotomys es a twentieth century reperio.

RFWsecundus

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

meus frons lobe est iam mush.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Rommel Fenrir Wolf II, that's enough.

Please cease the Latin and the lobotomies.

Thank you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i smoked way too much spice tropical synergy , gold and silver mix the last few days.

RFW2nd

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
S to the I to the M to the P.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II, even though this is the Random Musings topic, it is not the place, nor, in fact, is anywhere on this forum the place, for discussing illegal activities unless they are fictional.

Too many of your posts assert that you are participating in actual illegal activities, and I am hereby asking you to stop talking about them on this forum whether you can stop doing them or not.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sometimes I don't know what fork to use. This becomes a major problem when there is only one fork. Worst of all is when there is no fork, then I don't even know what fork not to use.

But as a topic for a real conversation I'll throw out Curling. Does any of you actually understand the game of curling? If so is it exciting? I think it's real exciting, but I don't understand one lick of it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Curling would be a good subject to explore, since they might actually show some of it when they televize the Olympics.

When are they going to be doing that, anyway?

genevive42
Member # 8714

Curling is fun to watch. I get that there's a sort of target ring and you can knock your opponents out. There seems to be a lot of positioning strategy.

That's what I've gleaned anyway.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

spice is not illegal. if that was the case why do NCO's smoke and no one has yelled at me for haveing it lay around my room?

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Over the years, whenever I saw a game of curling (a curling game? game of curl?) played, it was usually some sort of ornament to the scene, rather than anything that made much sense as a game. (Example: the Beatles playing a game in Help!)

Then a couple of Winter Olympics ago, they included curling as an event, and I got to see a whole game played---and it all fell into place and the game made a lot of sense.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

the AKC National Championship is on tonight. screw the supperball the AKC National Championship is more interisting.

RFW2nd

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
NBC will probably tuck curling on one of their obscure sports channels. Curling is an acquired taste. It has all the excitement of croquet. Which can get exciting if you're in to it.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to get rich? Bet the farm on the Saints and the kids college fund for Drew Brees winning the MVP.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 07, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No idea who'll win...no interest, either. If I wasn't asleep, working, or on my way to work, I might tune in to catch the commercials, but otherwise I won't bother.
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Winter olympics to me are all about ice hockey and downhill skiing. Bobsledding is cool, too.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'm all about the skeleton. I mean it has a scary name, it's fast and a girl I went to school with is a contender.

I'm also happy that the trick competitions are in the Olympics.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
So Snapper... how much did you make?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So Snapper... how much did you make?

Good thing those edits aren't time stamped.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.