FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 13)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the way he started looking over his shoulder and stuff, it's like he was expecting something. I was thinking he'd just phase out so that things would pass through him (assuming he has that level of control, which it seems like he does).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter is going to be the prime suspect in the Sylar case... The FBI and the mind reading cop are going to become involved in all of this. Peter's gonna read minds for a brief moment.

That's my predition for the day.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't Peter absorb more of Sylar's powers? Obviously while he was with Claire he could heal, but he didn't seem to get anything from Sylar.

I'm beginning to actually like Mr. Bennett. Never thought that would happen.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Peter's been a bit slow so far to be able to make conscious use of the powers he borrows, so I imagine he did absorb some of Sylar's powers, but wasn't able to use them. Claire's powers act on their own, without her conscious decision to use them, so it makes sense they'd also act that way in Peter.

I was on the verge of suggesting an alternate hypothesis involving Sylar being immune to other supers' powers, but then I remembered that Eden and the unnamed guy who work with Mr. Bennet both used their powers on him in the woods. So, I don't know.

I do know that this show has me completely engrossed. It's one of the few shows I watch as it airs, rather than wait for the tivo to be done with it so that I don't have to watch commercials. (House is the other one, incidentally. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter's lucky that he straightened out his foot before Claire's powers faded. That would have been quite uncomfortable.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If I woke up on the ground after that fall with my legs on backwards, I think it would have taken me a bit more time to figure out I could twist them back. I guess they didn't have much time before the next commercial though.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Also, DL can pass through solid objects. Wouldn't it make sense that solid objects (like ... bullets) could also pass through him? I personally kind of doubt it'll end up that way, but its a distinct possibility.

I thought that was implied with the whole "As long as he doesn't see me coming" or whatever that line was. Having been prepared, I would bet the bullet went right through him.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EKR:
Peter is going to be the prime suspect in the Sylar case... The FBI and the mind reading cop are going to become involved in all of this. Peter's gonna read minds for a brief moment.

That's my predition for the day.

Ooooh. Good point. Nice cath EKR.

As for DL. I agree with the previous poster regarding the line Jessica says about DL knowing if she's coming or not.

Next week is too far away.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Masi Oka, who plays Hiro, was on Conan O'Brien's Late Night show. Delightful person, very articulate. Unlike his TV character, he speaks perfect English. Like his TV character, he seems to have a wonderfully enthusiastic cheerfulness. Conan surprised him by coming up with research that revealed Oka had appeared on the cover of Time Magazine (I think it was Time) when he was a little kid, with a number of other Asian students at a school for the gifted. It was an article about Asian American kids with very high I.Q.s.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So what about this rumor I hear that the guy who played Sulu on Star Trek (George Takei) might make an appearance as Hiro's dad -- in a future episode?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, each week really does become better. To be honest, I'm glad they were able to do a very excellent episode without having to rely on Hiro's awesomeness. I was a bit worried that the show was creeping towards having Hiro be the only gem in the show.

Peter definately stepped up on last nights episode, even if he is a bit slow on his powers. For the most part, Peter has used his powers subconsciously with the exception of Isaac's with the painting of Claire. I think that if he went into the confrontation knowing Sylar's powers, he probably would have displayed them.

Here's something I want to address. Nathan bought the painting back from Linderman, right? And the painting came with a digital picture of it. Does anyone else find that a bit odd? Did Linderman know he'd try to cover it up and Linderman wanted Peter to die? He is very intriguing character...

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think THE GIRL took the photo of it before showing it to Peter's brother. After all, she had already taken the liberty of finding out where this high school was, etc.

(or maybe Linderman sent a digital photo via email prior to the transaction, to make sure that was the painting wanted)

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally when you buy an expensive painting you get photos of it (for insurance purposes) along with the provenance paperwork.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I also think that each show (for the most part) is better than the one which preceeded it. Its nice to see, after other favorite shows of mine started strong and then declined.

Being a (moderate) comic book geek, here are some observations about how their powers align with existing comic book characters:

Peter: While the obvious answer is Rogue, his powers actually line up much better with Synch from Generation X. Mimic from the Exiles is closer to Peter's power as well.

Niki/Jessica clearly is inspired by the Hulk, especially the MPD part. (Of course, Hulk was inspired by Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.)

Claire basically has Wolverine's healing power without the claws, skeleton, century of training, or super senses. She heals even better than Wolvie does, perhaps more on Deadpool's level.

Nathan's power is of course all over the comic book world. It reminds me most of Superman's flight, without the rest of the Superman package.

DL has Kitty Pryde's power. Not much else to say about that.

Hiro's power is far too great to typically be used by a comic book hero. Like another poster mentioned, its pretty much the most dominating power anyone can have. It is sometimes given to super-villians, especially the most powerful ones. For instance, Thanos with the Infinity Guantlet could stop time, and did so when he was first attacked by earth's heroes.

Matt and Eden's powers have been featured on dozens of characters, notably Jean Grey and Professor X.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember anyone in the X-Men verse who could stop time, but there was a time traveling mutant who had that little stooge for a sidekick.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
So what about this rumor I hear that the guy who played Sulu on Star Trek (George Takei) might make an appearance as Hiro's dad -- in a future episode?

He's actually going to be making an appearance as Sulu in an upcoming episode of Star Trek: The New Voyages.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I think THE GIRL took the photo of it before showing it to Peter's brother. After all, she had already taken the liberty of finding out where this high school was, etc.

(or maybe Linderman sent a digital photo via email prior to the transaction, to make sure that was the painting wanted)

Simone actually said that the digital copy came in the box with the painting.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Niki/Jessica clearly is inspired by the Hulk, especially the MPD part. (Of course, Hulk was inspired by Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.)

You're obviously not just a comic geek, but a Marvel geek. Niki/Jessica is much closer to Rose/Thorn than she is to the Hulk. There's no physical change, and at least at the beginning, Niki was completely unaware of Jessica.

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Nathan's power is of course all over the comic book world. It reminds me most of Superman's flight, without the rest of the Superman package.

The only hero I know of whose only power is flight would probably be Black Condor.
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
You're obviously not just a comic geek, but a Marvel geek.
Guilty as charged. I've started reading Green Lantern recently, but for the ~15 years before that, it was Marvel all the way.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Given Eden's power of persuasion, why wasn't she able to persuade Mohinder to stay in New York.

I'm still highly suspicious of Mr. Bennet (Claire's Dad). While his concern and love for Claire are clearly genuine, I have serious ethical questions about much of what we have seen him do. He kidnaps people, tests them, erases memories, marks people. He is responsible for at least two deaths. If what he is doing is truly above board, why is he so secretive about it even among the people with superpowers who he is following. If he understands whats going on, why isn't he doing more to help all of these people instead on only a select few. Why did Eden lie to Mohinder, wouldn't it have made more sense for her to collaborate with him rather than simply spying on him. If anyone in this show needs help with their powers its got to be the radioactive man, yet they kidnapped him and then released him to go home and kill his wife and endanger all of New York city. It seems to me that Bennet keeps and helps people who can help him and then just spies on the others. His dishonesty makes me think he and his team are not "good guys".

It really bothered me that Bennet had no concern for Peter, even after Peter saved Claire's life. He was perfectly willing to abandon him to be arrested by the police.

If he does turn out to be a good guy, they have an awful lot of explaining to do.

[ November 21, 2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Given Eden's power of persuasion, why wasn't she able to persuade Mohinder to stay in New York.
She could have if she'd used her powers. She doesn't like using her powers like that.

When Bennet found out that Mohinder left for India, I believe he said something to the effect of "You let him go?" She responds, "He will be back."

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, remember when Mr. Bennet was trying to get her to "persuade" Isaac, she said something along the lines of "You said I'd never have to do that again". Right now he's obviously not a "good guy", but he's not evil either. His agenda isn't one of "rid the world of mutants" or "world domination" or anything like that (for now). So the jury is still out on him, and it's supposed to be that way. They want to keep us guessing. I bet it's likely he'll have some part in the season finale, him either turning good or bad.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
He is the guy willing to do almost anything to save his daughter. I think we will find out more about him next week. Or at least that is what the previews show.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's the guy willing to do anything to save his daughter, and prevent the nuke or protect the world from freaks with powers or whatever. He definitely has an agenda, and he appears to be more or less amoral in his actions.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: You forgot angel/archangel, then theres The Vulture. Though The Vultures wings are mechanical.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool TV Guide video interview with Masi Oka:

http://www.tvguide.com/detail/celebrity.aspx?tvobjectid=256529

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

At first, I thought maybe Mohinder's power is immunity from other powers. But the kid in India proves that wrong.

I think Eden doesn't particularly like using her power. Which suits me just fine. If someone has to have the power to override my will, I want them to be very reluctant to use it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
His dishonesty makes me think he and his team are not "good guys".

Maybe they aren't going to let "good guys" and "bad guys" be a black and white dichotomy on this show. Bad guys can have good traits, and good guys can have bad traits. That's how it is in the real world, after all.
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the choices aren't good and evil, but good and awesome. Besides, I like a "good guy" that's a bit ruthless... kind of a geek Jack Bauer.

And Eden refrained from telling Mohinder to outright "stay". For which, Daddy Bennett chastised her.

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lisa: You forgot angel/archangel, then theres The Vulture. Though The Vultures wings are mechanical.
And Blackblade, you forgot Arthur, the Tick's sidekick. Arthur's wings are mechanical too.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
quote:
And Blackblade, you forgot Arthur, the Tick's sidekick. Arthur's wings are mechanical too.
lol true enough
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm going to stick with Black Condor. He's still the only one with just flight as a power, where he doesn't require mechanical aids.
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Much will depend on how Mr. Bennet deals with Sylar now that he has him and what he does with Peter to help him, Peter has no blood from the Cheerleader on him, except maybe some transfer from Sylar, but he will have to explain a lot of blood from himself. Incompetant yokels could seriously screw it up.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Another good episode. It made me like Hiro that much more. Try as best he can, he couldn't do what I wanted to most. It's sad and makes you really feel for him. I also liked the explanation for who Sylar is. I didn't fully expect the Jessica/sister twist with Nikki, but it sounds okay. I'm a little sad that next week is the last new episode for a little bit, but I mean that's television for you. Still Heroes is my most anticipated show each week. It's awesome stuff.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show : )!!! This episode didn't do much in the way of present day answers but I guess it did clear some stuff up. I actually like Jessica/Nikki a lot better now Jessica seems more real. The worst part is the corny voice at the end saying "You ain't seen nothin' yet." lol.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
It does look like Sylar gets the powers of those he kills, I wonder what that includes?
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Does he eat the brains or something? It doesn't really show...
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Best line of the episode, "Greatu Scottu!"

I really liked the timing of this episode showing all these character's pasts and yet its a new episode because for Hiro this is a continuation of his storyline not a recap.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa called the Nikki/Jessica thing pretty damned close.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Best line of the episode, "Greatu Scottu!"

Excellent shout-out to Back to the Future, too.
EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Sylar eats the brains.... From what I gather, his powers seem to allow him to view the structure of one's DNA, or possibly soul, and reconfigure his own to match.... Thus, allowing him "assimilate" a new power.

To make it simple, he's able to mutate his DNA on command.

~Earl

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

If he views his victims as broken then what he does is deliberately break himself to match. That might account for his growing psychosis.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's like with him fixing the watch. He can see how it works. So if he can see the brains of the people he kills, he can see how they work, too.

Not real sure how he makes his brain match, but maybe that's the sort of explaination we don't want.

I loved the scene with Claire and her dad after she made cheerleader. I'm even more worried now that Mr. Bennett had something to do with Chandra's death. It seems like something he'd do if Eden couldn't get Claire off the list.

But why does he want her powers to be a secret so badly? Sylar wasn't out there in the world yet. Mr. Bennett was the only one going after them.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! This show is so good! It's setting things up so that it can easily jump to and from story lines without hardly any hassle at all. It's simple, yet glorious. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is your favorite character in Heroes? Claire, the cheerleader, is really cute, but I have to admit that Hiro with his exuberant cheerfulness is my favorite, not to mention his really profound power of being able to teleport to different times and places. I wonder when he gets his sword, and why.

Interesting that Nicole gained her multiple personality from what apparently was abuse by her father. Psychologists say that is what usually produces multiple personalities--some kind of serious abuse while young. I just wonder now, who is buried in Jessica's grave?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I'm a fan of Peter Patrelli myself. Evidently I look somewhat like him. [Dont Know]

I'm also a fan of "the Haitian". I hope he becomes an actual character and not just a plot device.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Who is your favorite character in Heroes? Claire, the cheerleader, is really cute, but I have to admit that Hiro with his exuberant cheerfulness is my favorite, not to mention his really profound power of being able to teleport to different times and places. I wonder when he gets his sword, and why.

Interesting that Nicole gained her multiple personality from what apparently was abuse by her father. Psychologists say that is what usually produces multiple personalities--some kind of serious abuse while young. I just wonder now, who is buried in Jessica's grave?

Um... Jessica, I suspect. When Nikki is Jessica, it may be MPD, or it may be that Jessica's spirit is really in her. That doesn't mean it's Jessica's body.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Hiro's been my favorite from the start, and as we see more of him and what he's doing, he grows even further in the lead.
Xavier
Member # 405

At the beginning, I didn't like Claire much at all, but I suspect I wasn't supposed to. She's been growing on me each episode, and again, I think that was intended.

Hiro is a fun character to watch, as everyone agrees.

I am bored of Niki/Jessica, and I think that is because Ali Larter isn't a very good actress. I just don't care about her, and never have.

I like Peter okay, though its actually Nathan who interests me more, perhaps because he has the cooler power. Nathan is also morally ambiguous, and those characters are often more fun to watch. It will be interesting to see how his character develops.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else wonder what the dead cheerleader's power was? Cause from last night's episode, Sylar can tell people with power- he sees how they are broken. So, he should have sensed that the girl he was killing had no special powers (unless she did have them). And if so, is she the cheerleader they needed to save?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Why do you think he can sense it? He got the list from Chandra; that's how he's finding them.
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.