FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 24)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Lots to be giddy about at least right now. Hopefully the second halfish will be as good.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm practically speechless right now. My Dad just called... He's all - it's a good thing I'm recording for your Mother right now.

I can't believe how much info was just packed into the first 20 minutes!!!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Wow, that was just a great episode. So much awesome stuff. Just so awesome. This is why I like the show.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Couldn't agree with you more, pfresh85!!!

How about Simone in the preview for next week!?!

Goodness... I'm loving this show...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap.

That was amazing!

Next week looks just as amazing!

Haven't seen that many bombs dropped since Bomberman came out!

Amazing that Hiro's father is part of Bennett's company, and I'd guess that Peter finds a way to heal Simone, I can't imagine she ends up being a Hero herself.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, the preview for next week look great too. It's interesting to hear them say it's a set up for the last segment/arc of the season. It does match with the interview I read with Tim Kring, who was talking about the three separate pods in the first volume (pod one was episodes 1-11, pod two was/will be 12-18, and pod three will be 19-23). I'm excited.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST EPISODE YET!

And it looks like its only going to get better!

I love when the heroes' stories intertwine. I'd rather watch one solid storyline per week than jumping back and forth every five minutes.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
HOLY #(&*^@#*$ that was incredible!

It makes me like the character of Mr. Bennett all the more, now that we know for sure that even his morally questionable acts stemmed from a love of his surrogate (and yet, in many ways, REAL) daughter.

I'm one person who won't be able to get to sleep for a while after that much excitement. I'm all wired up now.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly has become a better show in the past couple of weeks.

Things happen! Lots of things! Plots are advanced, even. It's good to see.

I've had to make a mental switch though: "Radiation in the Heroes world is not like the radiation in our world. For some reason their hair isn't falling out, nor is their skin sloughing off, but that's okay for some reason."

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, the radiation thing was niggling in the back of my mind in the entire episode. But I think we just have to accept it. Aren't there any kinds of radiation that can cause heat like that without causing radiation sickness? Microwave radiation maybe? I don't know, but I've chosen to stop worrying about it. It's no more outlandish than a guy who flies.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'd guess that Peter finds a way to heal Simone, I can't imagine she ends up being a Hero herself.

It's a dream sequence, I'm guessing. Simone is gone.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was talking about it with a friend afterwards and we came up with dream sequence too. I'd forgotten that I'd read elsewhere that she was leaving the show. But I'm 100% sure you're right, it is a dream sequence.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
I'd guess that Peter finds a way to heal Simone, I can't imagine she ends up being a Hero herself.

It's a dream sequence, I'm guessing. Simone is gone.
This was my thought when I saw the preview, too. I just don't believe they'd be cheesy enough to bring her back to life for real.

But...what a great episode!! It is definitely my favorite so far. Every moment kept me on the edge of my seat. There was action, revelations, real people faced with tough decisions...

Even though I was curious what was happening with Hiro and Peter, I liked that they focused this episode on one thing. I think if they had interrupted this with Nikki or even Peter, I would have been too impatient to care what they were doing last night.

So....Hiro's father is in on all this, too. I wonder if he knows about his son's power.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree the best show yet. The single storyline was much better and allowed them to advance the plot much faster. Of course I’d hate to have to watch an entire episode with Nikki.

The radiation thing bothered me too. Everyone, (except Clair) in that house should have major radiation sickness at the very least, but I let it go and enjoyed the show. After all it is a person generating the radiation, if I can accept that, I guess I'll have to accept the rest. Hopefully they will throw in a couple of lines in the next show to explain why they aren't all dead.

Mr. Bennett turned out to be a much better person than I have thought. Allowing himself to get shot and memory erased to help save his daughter.

Is the company going to start using the mind reading cop as Bennett's or the other guy's new partner?

I am guessing the Haitian and Clair will end up in New York at some point.

I hope they don't bring Simone back after all the "someone will die" hype. They like to try trick people with the previews so it probably won’t happen.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I think Mr. Bennett and the cop will be teaming up soon. I'm sure that the shooting and memory leak was meant to make it seem (to the company) that the Haitian had betrayed them even further and escaped with Clair.

I have a feeling the Haitian and Clair will end up in New York very soon.

Anyone have any idea who this other boss is...the one giving counter-orders to the invisible man and the Haitian?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What other boss?
Lisa
Member # 8384

It does also explain a little Hiro's hero-obsession. I'm sure that wasn't the only time he overheard his father talking about powers.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Anyone have any idea who this other boss is...the one giving counter-orders to the invisible man and the Haitian?

Someone who has a vested interest in protecting Claire, it seems. I'm guessing it's Future-Peter. He can time travel, after all.

It's possible that it's Linderman, I suppose. He does like giving orders. Maybe Linderman and Hiro's father are rivals? Partners who don't always agree?

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
What other boss?

The Haitian told Bennett that his (Bennett's) instructions to wipe Claire's memory had been superseded by a higher authority.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I dreamed Heroes all night. [Roll Eyes]

I did wake up with one question: if Bennett believed Claire's parents had died in the fire, why did he go to all the trouble of having actors come and pretend to be her biological parents? Why wouldn't he have just said that she was adopted because her parents died in a fire? It seems like it would've been a lot less trouble and would've put an end to her trying to find them. Well, for a while at least. Was he just so used to lying to Claire "to protect her" that he automatically went there?

I guess it's not really a question that can be answered, just a feeling that the writers wanted to throw something in there to throw us off without thinking it through.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I think Bennett knew Clair's Mom got away. In the flashback they something about it.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know, I didn't get the impression it was that kind of boss.

It's entirely possible that the higher authority the Haitian was talking about was his own moral center, the kind of higher authority that caused Claude to rebel against Bennett's organization.

Whoever it is seems friendly to Heroes. And I don't think that automatically inclues Linderman, who has only his self interests at heart, especially if he's truly the leader of Bennett's organization, which also isn't assured. I wonder though...

If the Haitian was only following orders from INSIDE the organization, why did he run? Just to save Claire? Does the Haitian feel such incredible loyalty to that girl that he'd supercede the authority of the organization to save her? It's possible, and if that's the case, I think the Haitian is his own higher authority.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
I think Bennett knew Clair's Mom got away. In the flashback they something about it.

Really? I thought I remembered them saying that the baby's parents died in the fire. Or at least her mother. It seemed to me that Bennett really believed the baby was orphaned.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to this week's graphic novel on the website, Hell's Angel, it looks like Bennett really did think Claire's mom died in the fire.

However, it still looks like maybe Claude knew that the mom survived.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

The dream sequence thing... That happened with Simone's Dad too, right?
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, where can I get the previews for next week? I was watching Firefly with some people who'd never watched it last night, so I just finished watching Heroes on the website this morning.

This was an excellent episode. I think maybe others have actually had more overall revelations. I mean, the only really new stuff we learned was directly pertaining to Bennet. But this one was just good. Almost movie-esque good.

I'm really curious about the Leonard Nimoy looking guy. They didn't ever give a name, did they? That wouldn't be Linderman I suppose ... I wonder if he'll play a prominent part or if they kept him nameless because we'll never see him again. I'm curious as to the new hero's power. Very promising is words I like to hear.

I loved the scene with the glasses. That was neat, seeing him try on the other ones and then when he tried on the horn rimmed glasses it was just like BAM! thats him.

The radiation thing bothered me too, but it was just so ... in your face that I can't imagine it's just an oversight of the writers. They knew what they were doing and will either explain it, or expect us to shrug it off, which, after such a good overall episode, I'm more than happy to do.

Did it look to anyone else like the Hatians shot went that two inches higher?

I'll be happy if this whole single storyline trend holds. Even though I really dislike Nikkis storyline, I think the reason I dislike it so much is because it seems like it never goes anywhere. If she were given a whole show, not only would we see more of Micah, but they would (hopefully) be forced to make her interesting and make things actually happen.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm really curious about the Leonard Nimoy looking guy.
I think you're referring to Eric Roberts. I don't recall them giving a name for the character either, but the spoiler sites have been mentioning Roberts' eventual entry onto the show for awhile - it might even have come up on this thread.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walleo77
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for Walleo77           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Last nights episode was, hmmmm, I will try to quote the young man on the trike in The Incredibles. "THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED". (I hope that's right.) Awesome show.I knew Bennette loved Claire but I figured where he worked and what he did got in the way of him showing his love for his daughter. Anyway, I need to go and watch it again. Also, I think I missed something. Did the show say who Caude was hiding? I think I remember a reference to Claire but I'm not sure. Also, how about the idea that the Heroe's will be fighting the company that Bennett worked for? I like the questions that were answered and I am excited about next weeks show. I think that Linderman will probably make or break the Jessica/Nicky character. Man what a long week this will be.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:

Really? I thought I remembered them saying that the baby's parents died in the fire. Or at least her mother. It seemed to me that Bennett really believed the baby was orphaned.
I'll have to go back and look again, I've been wrong before.

Back to the original point, If Bennett wanted Clair to stop looking into her biological parents, then telling her they died in a fire would have been the best way, even if he thought they were still alive.

I guess the writers wanted to continue explore that story so they left it open. Later she can figure out who her dad is and how he is related to Peter, if she doesn't already know. At some point she confront him. That’s what will bring her to NY.

Christine
Member # 8594

quote:

Back to the original point, If Bennett wanted Clair to stop looking into her biological parents, then telling her they died in a fire would have been the best way, even if he thought they were still alive.

I think that Mr. Bennett did this because he thought it would make Clair less likely to keep up the search. Think about it...if he said they had died then she would have gone looking, which, in fact, she did do as soon as the Haitian told her this fact. If the Haitian hadn't stepped in and told her the truth, she might have left well enough alone.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Christine
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So I think I like the show the more and more things become less black and white. I'm a big fan of moral ambiguity. Earlier in the show I couldn't really care about any of the characters. I mostly watched because the plot was captivating. I mean they were all so....transparently one dimensional. I thought that the point in the episode before this one where one of the 3 characters said, "We could be heros" was a big turning point. (At least for me.) It was the first time that depth was starting to actually be shown rather than just left for us to imagine on our own.

Anyway, I was a big fan of this episode.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This episode was in depth, interesting, and gave Bennet a lot of moral complexity. The lack of "careful handling" of the radiation issue (they could have easily made him emit a strange, unexplained energy to smooth over inconsistencies) is a minus, but not a major issue.

The video-ing of some of the scenes seems extremely extravagent. I can't help but wonder how much money it costs for those effects! Though they were lovely eye-candy, the real winner of this story was the complexity given to Bennet.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The video-ing of some of the scenes seems extremely extravagent. I can't help but wonder how much money it costs for those effects!
Yeah, Claire's corpse to girl transformation was pretty seamless and impressive, I thought.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

To quote a good friend... 'Ohmygoodness! Next Monday is sooooooo far away! I loved when she came out of her house all extra crispy like KFC; that was hot.'
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
As to whether or not Simone survives:

I believe Simone has a power of some sort.

When Peter has his vision of exploding and destroying the city, he sees Claire, the invisible man, the boy who can talk to machines. In fact, everyone he sees has a power. And Simone is there. Maybe she is the exception... but I doubt it. Not exactly concrete evidence, I know.

Still, in order for his vision to be truly prophetic, Simone has to survive.

Going and looking at the cast and scripts and talking about how Simone's character cried on set for days after she learned the writers were going to kill her is a lot like metagaming in the D&D world, and it takes the fun out of discussing the show. That's just my opinion, you can do whatever you want, I simply have more fun going purely on what the writers give us.

There is so much going on in this show… I’ll stop for now.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think his vision was meant to be prophetic. Claire just left with the Haitian, I didn't see the Haitian in the vision, and she was wearing her cheerleading uniform, which makes zero sense.

I think it was a wacky dream meant to display his inner feelings and fears about possibly blowing up, and to kick him into high gear in figuring out a way to start controlling his powers. I don't think it should be taken literally at all.

DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I have watched every episode this season, but only the first episode from the first season. You seem to be familiar with the dream sequence, so can you tell me if Peter has met everyone that is in it? I was under the impression that he had not. I mean, when he had the vision, he had yet to meet the invisible man, so that much of the dream was prophetic.

Even if we should not take the dream literally (because Claire being in her cheer leading uniform at the time the bomb goes off is unlikely), the dream is still prophetic thanks to him seeing the invisible man and understanding the role he would play in his destiny.

I know that the young technological genius boy is in that dream, and if Peter has met him, it must have happened prior to season two. Or I just don't remember them meeting.

Either way, if Peter had a glimpse of these major players, some (at least one) of whom he hadn't met before, and all of them have powers, why would Simone be the exception? I think it hints at her having powers and being more important than we think.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Doesn't mean there aren't elements of future telling in it. He's met Isaac, so we know he can see the future, which is how I think he knew to seek out Claude.

But it's still a dream, and while it may have futuristic elements in it, it's not literal. Simone died in the dream when he exploded anyway. Seeing her in the dream could just mean that he was going to be the cause of her death no matter what, and if he hadn't tangled with Isaac, she likely never would have gotten shot.

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
It does also explain a little Hiro's hero-obsession. I'm sure that wasn't the only time he overheard his father talking about powers.

I think it has more to do with the Gameboy in his hands!
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

Idea: Maybe someone sent Peter that dream. Perhaps Linderman or maybe even Peter from the future. If someone sent him the dream, that opens up all sorts of possible meanings, because the person who sent it could have any number of motives.

I recall when he was in the hospital after rescuing Claire, a voice from his dream tells him that he has no idea what power really is. This voice supports the theory that someone is sending Peter dreams. That could be his own voice from the future trying to get him to discover his true power, or Linderman (or an evil force) trying to scare him, or just his own internal power trying to surface.

Maybe Simone's power involves being able to enter other people's dreams and manipulate the dream. So the argument where she gets shot could be a shared dream controlled by her. That would explain why, in the footage at the end of the episode, we see her stand up and speak.

This also gives future Peter a way to send himself dreams in the past (since he has been around Simone, he has her power).

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Simone is tiresome. I want her to be dead for real. If she turns out to be alive while Eden has to stay dead, that would just be too, too unacceptable. (Eden was cute, and I liked her power the most best.)
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I'm with you -- I was quite happy to find out that Simone was the one who got axed. She didn't add much to the show, in my opinion, and the writers didn't really seem to know what to do with her past creating some tension between Isaac and Peter.

I rather hope she doesn't turn out to have a power (or have had a power, assuming she's dead). These powers are supposed to be rare and it stretches credibility to have so many unrelated (genetically) characters happening to know other people with these powers from the start. The slowness to the start of the series was mostly due to the fact that it is rare and they had to start with separate circumstances before bringing that characters together.

I don't remember Simone in Peter's vision...I wish they would find a reason to reshow it. I can't remember much of it. My husband said the other day that all the cars had been empty and that the only people in the vision were the ones with powers. he theorized that Peter might have blown up New York on purpose and that it had been evacuated. I don't think that's true, but it's an interesting theory. It started making me think of there's more to this than Peter losing control.

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that the cars were emptied in Peter's vision and, besides from invisible man, there wasn't anyone there we hadn't seen before. But Simone was definitely there. She tried to run towards Peter while Isaac wrestled with her to remove her from danger.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

According to Hiro's future, Isaac should have been dead at that point anyway.

Take Yoda's advice on this one, the future is always in motion.

Christine
Member # 8594

It's true that knowledge of the future usually causes changes. Peter, seeing the vision and afraid he would go atomic, sought advice from the invisible man to control his powers. Simone died as a direct result of that, whereas if he had not seen the vision and had not gone to learn to control his powers, she probably would not have died. So there really is no conflict that she is dead, even if she was in the vision.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

I just got informed that someone already has the power to control dreams, so that's shot down, assuming that they will not be giving two people the same power.

Are you sure Peter has met Micah and DL? I know they were both in the dream.

What about the scary voice that tells him he has no idea what true power is? Where did that voice come from?

Tristan
Member # 1670

quote:
Are you sure Peter has met Micah and DL? I know they were both in the dream.
I'm pretty sure he hasn't, which, together with the appearance of the invisible man, is proof that there are at least visionary elements in the dream.

quote:
What about the scary voice that tells him he has no idea what true power is? Where did that voice come from?
My recollection it that it was Nathan who in Peter's dream (the one he had when he had been arrested) turned into Sylar, who then uttered the statement which you refer to. I have no idea whether there was anything mystical going on with this incident, or if it was Peter's subconscious who produced it.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

Okay, I was sort of not watching the screen when the scary voice said that, but it being Nathan/Sylar makes a lot of sense.

Peter has so many powers right now, I hope it doesn't cause a problem for the writers. Wait, hasn't Peter met Nikki/Jessica? Seeing as how we aren't sure how their power works, things could get very crazy... Peter has also been around the Haitian. And I'm pretty sure he has already been near Ted (Nuke) at the hospital. He also has Sylar's weird ability to understand how things work. Maybe we should make a list of everything Peter can (potentially) do...

Tristan
Member # 1670

Actually, I can't recollect Peter meeting Nikki, Haitian or Ted. When did he meet Nikki, if he hasn't met DL or Micah? Nathan met both Nikki and the Haitian in Las Vegas, but Peter wasn't there then. And I don't think Peter was at the hospital at the same time as Ted. When we first met Ted in a hospital, it was Parkman and the FBI chick that ran into him. Or was Peter with them also?
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.